Creating new monsters? (or expies?)

Ashton

This is a little idea that popped into my head. There are very few monsters we know of being canon (such as the cockatrice and the Manticore) Would it be allowed to create new ones to use as obstacles for RP characters? (or possibly even as a whole plot depending on the setting?)

I'm asking mainly for crossover, since I know the Mane RP everything has to be Canon, but at the same time, is there any wiggle-room there?

Keep in mind this is intended PURELY as an 'obstacle' or NPC, not a regular character, something one might run into if they venture into the badlands or deep into the Everfree Forest or such.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one, or rather two I'd like to introduce to a Mane RP. My justification would be that they come from the Everfree forest, which is a fantasy kitchen sink of eldrich wierdness. That means it doesn't require history, it doesn't require supporting lore, it's a case of 'The Everfree did it'.

One is a animate storm cloud, about at the smartness level of a bright animal. The idea in part comes from the Xanth novels. It would make a great encounter for a group of pegasi, which is exactly how I wanted to use it.

The other is a far wierder critter, more of an eldrich horror. The creature is known as a 'weeping angle'.

What any-pony knows, if they know anything at all would be this.

'No-one knows where they come from, and they rarely appear, thank Luna! Do not approach them. They look harmless, but they are deadly, instantly deadly if you so much as touch them. They don't poison you, or hurt you, no, it's worse than that. They are geometry made solid, some mad arithmancers dream, and they hunger not for flesh, but for dimension.

They also have the most perfect defence ever. As long as someone's observing them, they're just a shadow. And you can't hurt a shadow. Of course a shadow can't move, can't do anything to you, but then you look away, you blink and oh yes it can. It's fast, faster than you'd believe, and it will not stop until it reaches the thing it's hunting.

You so much as touch the shadow, that's the real creature, the mirrored bit is some sort of projection, a solid illusion, and you vanish softly and silently away. No mess, no blood, not even a chance to scream. First you become a flat surface, then a line radiating from the shadow, then a point, then... nothing. They add your dimensions to their own, and that mirrored bit becomes more complex, more highly faceted.

Maybe it's trying to become a sphere, no-one knows it's motivations. So watch out for them. If you see one, don't turn away, don't blink, just grab air and fly away as fast as possible. One other thing you can try if you can't fly, get to an area which is already in deep shadow. It won't be able to follow you there. But the problem is finding deep enough shadow, so best not to risk it except as a last resort.'

Yes it's a it's a mash up of the weeping angels from Dr Who, and the 12th Angel from Neon Genesis Evangelion, Leliel, with elements of Lewis Carol's Snark, or rather the Boojum. The Weeping Angels eat your future, this eats your existence in four dimensional space time. And of course, it's impossible to fight by conventional means.

I know it's a rather more instantly lethal threat than you usually get, but in the RP I'm playing in, there's at least one pony who should know about it and be able to warn the others what it's capable of.

One is a animate storm cloud, about at the smartness level of a bright animal. The idea in part comes from the Xanth novels. It would make a great encounter for a group of pegasi, which is exactly how I wanted to use it.

Woot! Best series ever! *<3s Xanth*

The other is a far wierder critter, more of an eldrich horror. The creature is known as a 'weeping angle'.

-snip-

I know it's a rather more instantly lethal threat than you usually get, but in the RP I'm playing in, there's at least one pony who should know about it and be able to warn the others what it's capable of.

I can tell you now that will never fly in Mane, though you might get it in crossover... that's rather harsh for equestria... (though the cloud might be allowed, that's kinda silly, cute, and not very lethal)