Walt Disney was a great man with some remarkable character flaws. His racism was well documented, yes, but he genuinely loved kids and he was a fantastic artist and businessman. Like an old-school Steve Jobs, but well-liked by his colleagues.

You dig into the personal lives of almost any hero you look up to, and you will find things you don't like. But I still really admire Disney, as do most most modern animators, including Miyazaki and John Lasseter of Pixar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I love Miyazaki's style of animation. He is so good st visually telling a story. Goro, well, he needs to work on his story pacing. Earthsea dragged on. Bad use of your Willem Dafoe there Goro.

Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky are my two favorites of his.

[colour=#0000ff]"Kiki's Delivery Service" is my favorite animated film of all time. There's a gentle beauty to Kiki that is almost as magical as the young witch girl herself. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I watched it over the years. My other two favorite Miyazaki films are "Howl's Moving Castle" and "The Cat Returns". [/colour]

Oh dear, where do I begin? I suppose my favorite one would be Castle in the Sky, followed closely by Princess Mononoke, followed even more closely by Howl's Moving Castle. I have always loved the scenery and backround given to these movies. Every one of them just have amazingly detailed worlds that make the characters and plots infinitely more interesting. So yeah, my favorite part about Miyazaki's films is the setting.

Thought, I'm tempted to say characters trump setting in this regard, just because of characters like Turnip Head and those robots in Castle in the Sky. Oh my Celestia, the sky guardians (I think that's what they're called) were just fantastic!