will there be a dark/serious episode in the future??

cuddrefeeshbrony

lol and no im not talking grimdark pertaining to tragedies such as death and what not, just an episode that slightly deviates from the show's campy formula. like say something happens to fluttershy that was so terrible that she becomes bitter and aggressive. or that rainbow dash does something to make scootaloo realize she's not the hero she thought she was. you know, something a little edgy but still appropriate enough for MLP standards, thoughts??

Doubtful.

If the silly nilly antics of lying AJ, hateful Pinkie and FlutterB. is considered the 'dark side' of the pony characters, it just seems unlikely. I could see maybe something sad happening, but then turning out that it was nothing. Like....a pony gets called away maybe cuz their parents are sick or something, they overreact, then it turns out to be a stubbed hoof or something.

There has to be the element of gag somewhere.

No, I don't think it'll ever come to that unless they want to appeal to a specific audience and lose many that watch the show mainly for its lighthearted stories and symbolic characters.

There are plenty of shows out there that have got aggression and tragic tales, but I'd be pretty annoyed if MLP: FiM were to go that direction.

i dont think some of you guys understand, im not saying go a complete emo/goth route that goes completely against everything the show is about (because i would hate that as well). im just saying they can be edgy enough so that its appropriate for the shows standards and still keep its charm. it can be done, fosters home for imaginary friends anyone?

or that rainbow dash does something to make scootaloo realize she's not the hero she thought she was.

This. I am EXPECTING this.

It wouldn't be horrible, I mean Dash isn't going to kill anyone or something, but most of her and scoot's interaction is very superficial, I can see where scoot has to be watched for the weekend or something and Dash gets stuck playing babysitter and scoot is forced to see that her idol is just another pony instead of a goddess. (one of my favorite quotes "We put our heros on pedistols, but a single blow can shatter the hollow foundation and bring our heros down to look us in the eye") Likewise, I think Dash would learn a bit about responsibility and how to be a better "big sister" (even if she's not related) to scoots.

• Like 2

This. I am EXPECTING this.

It wouldn't be horrible, I mean Dash isn't going to kill anyone or something, but most of her and scoot's interaction is very superficial, I can see where scoot has to be watched for the weekend or something and Dash gets stuck playing babysitter and scoot is forced to see that her idol is just another pony instead of a goddess. (one of my favorite quotes "We put our heros on pedistols, but a single blow can shatter the hollow foundation and bring our heros down to look us in the eye") Likewise, I think Dash would learn a bit about responsibility and how to be a better "big sister" (even if she's not related) to scoots.

check and mate :smirk: , this guy knows where im coming from! and that sounds like an amazing storyline as well! the mane 6 have their obvious character flaws, RD's being her arrogance, rarity's being her vanity, AJ's being her stubbornness, pinkie pie's being her separation anxiety, twilights OCD, and fluttershy's passiveness. each have had and are about to have an episode showcasing these flaws. So I don't see why it would be a bad idea to dig a little bit deeper

hi hi

Personally, I didn't like the episodes. I think if people are really lucky, they won't have to experience good friends or family getting into a fight and never speaking to each other again, or witness friends lose faith in the goodness of people and give up on life.

Still, I suppose if they can wrangle a lesson out of it, there's enough precedent to go for another like-themed episode. (And I'll probably watch that episode too.)

I think some people may have mistook the OP's intention. He isn't asking for some sort of really sad/unhappy episode with heavy drama and a bitter ending. He is asking for a more serious/dark story, if not characters/scenes/dialogue. Heck, I could imagine an AJ episode with a more serious undertone that nonetheless retains everything charming about the episode.

I could see that idea with Scootaloo happening perhaps. I kind of doubt there would be anything darker than the Pinkamena thing, but that was played off as funny. I feel like the show's formula kind of doesn't allow it to get very dark. There are antagonists and they can be scary creatures but there needs to be enough humor infused in it so the kiddies aren't scared away. I kind of like it that way.

Just giggle at the ghostie~ :D

The Return of Harmony was a dark point, seeing the characters show their opposite personalities. Although I wouldn't want to see that all the time, having a darker story would be ok.

Perhaps the RD/ Scootaloo thing, or a breach of trust between one of the six, or not being able to help a pony which causes somepony to feel like a failure could be dark but not too dark themes. They can apeal to kids and adults alike.

I'd say they already deal with dark topics, more so in season 1 than 2. Pinkie Pie felt she had lost all of her friends in Party of One. Rarity thought she'd seen the end of her career in Suited for Success, and was about to run away. Fluttershy mourned Philomena's death. I think this show's ability to tackle darkness is a stregth as it is.

The Return of Harmony was a dark point, seeing the characters show their opposite personalities. Although I wouldn't want to see that all the time, having a darker story would be ok.

Perhaps the RD/ Scootaloo thing, or a breach of trust between one of the six, or not being able to help a pony which causes somepony to feel like a failure could be dark but not too dark themes. They can apeal to kids and adults alike.

im telling you its a storyline that could work really well, as a matter of fact you can make an argument that scoots is kind coming to terms on the real RD going by her jumping ship in "mare do well". the only problem would be is getting a message across, i don't think kids wanna be told to give up all hope when your idol isnt all thats cracked up to be lol

I think some people may have mistook the OP's intention. He isn't asking for some sort of really sad/unhappy episode with heavy drama and a bitter ending. He is asking for a more serious/dark story, if not characters/scenes/dialogue. Heck, I could imagine an AJ episode with a more serious undertone that nonetheless retains everything charming about the episode.

lol you and the posters below you are probably the only one's that understand what im saying, with the exception of ashton of course

I think Scootaloo sees RD more as a big sister.

Speaking of sisters, I was watching Bridle Gossip this morning and -- in the opening scene with Zecora in Ponyville -- I spotted Berry Punch yoinking her little sister inside before, like, we understood she had a little sister (circa Sisterhooves). I'm sure this is common knowledge already, but I thought that was neat.

Back to the topic at hoof...I understood the OP's question as an episode that explores a heavier and gloomier topic. As someone else said, the series already has -- but it's always accompanied with humor or something to lighten up the story and keep it in perspective.

It was this week. Yeah Pinkie Pie desperately wanted to be that donkey or mules friend. and Pinkie Pie learnt their were different kinds of friends

Meh, to me if the episode's passed it's "last week" the one up-coming is "next week" I rarely use "this week" to avoid confusion.

I meant...

The fact that he had lost his love and had become old and bitter over it, then pinkie accidentally destroyed his scrapbook with all his 'memories' in it, which 'broke' him even further.

Though the friend part was also kinda serious from Pinkie's POV despite the silly 'wrapper' it was put into. so really it addressed 2 serious plots.

Meh, to me if the episode's passed it's "last week" the one up-coming is "next week" I rarely use "this week" to avoid confusion.

I meant...

The fact that he had lost his love and had become old and bitter over it, then pinkie accidentally destroyed his scrapbook with all his 'memories' in it, which 'broke' him even further.

Though the friend part was also kinda serious from Pinkie's POV despite the silly 'wrapper' it was put into. so really it addressed 2 serious plots.

I think it might be more confusing to use "last week" before Sunday has finished, but whatever -- you'll be right in a day.

Too bad no new pony next week...