Questions about making an RP on Canterlot

Esprit

My character is in the process of getting approved, but while I'm waiting, I've been thinking up RP ideas - even though I'm pretty much new to MLP. However, I'm used to RPing on a different forum and under different, less strict and more free-form rules, so I want to make sure the ideas I have in mind are allowed on Canterlot. Hope no one minds a barrage of questions!

1) I would like to have "slots" for the RP, meaning that a certain number of RPers would be able to join, and the slots would probably have 'specific but vague' attributes that the character would need to also have. So for example, I would have things like, "the protector", or "the wise storyteller", or "the timid explorer". Most would be to ensure that the RP has a good mixing of personalities, but some of them would serve a specific purpose. The group would meet the wise storyteller, for example, who would tell them about the legend or rumor which would spark up the entire RP, and then s/he would join up with the group. The protector would butt his/her nose into the group to protect the timid wanna-be explorer - possibly they're siblings. Things like that.

The slots might be more vague (maybe just a personality, since I wouldn't want to limit people based on their OC's jobs) depending on how many people may or may not be interested, but you get the general idea. Is this allowed? This is done all the time on the other forums I RP, but I wanted to make sure it's okay to do this here.

2) If #1 is accepted, would such an RP fall under Open or Private? I don't have specific people in mind that I would invite to the RP (I would advertise the RP in the OOC section), so I don't think it would be private. But it also wouldn't be completely open, because people wouldn't just be able to post if they feel like it, they'd need to send me messages asking to join as one of the slots. So I really don't know. Would this fall under, [Open, PM for invite]?

3) If such an RP is "open"...are we allowed to turn down people who ask to join? I don't anticipate doing this, but I mean, I'd prefer not to have an RPer who types one sentence for each post, or who types in fragmented sentences and doesn't really use spell check. Again, this is done all the time in the other forums, to ensure that RPers are pretty much all on the same level of RPing, whether it's a low or high level. But is that allowed here?

4) I read another question saying that it was okay to make up some reasonable monsters for the purpose of RPing, like as an obstacle or confrontation. Can this be done with ponies as well? If the group needs to talk to a librarian or something, can I control a NPC pony for a while?

5) The RP I have in mind would included traveling to different areas - probably all in Greater Equestrian area, but to different towns and landmarks and such. Is this allowed? The group would move together, or if people start off in different areas, I would ask RPers to add a little section in their post, saying briefly where their pony is currently located.

6) Speaking of moving around, what are the rules of making up areas? I know the rules say that making up small landmarks is okay, but what about something like an underground cave, or a quicksand pit in a desert? Like say, the RP heads to the Everfree Forest, and along the way they discover a hidden passageway that leads them to a cave, essentially opening up an entirely new area that's inside an established canon area?

7) Same question, different subject. How about making up legends and stories? I need something that propels my character and others into starting on their adventure in the first place, and an interesting legend of an unexplored place would be just the thing for my character in particular, and probably others. Are we allowed to do things like that? They wouldn't involve important canon people and events, like the Princesses or the Mane Six. But it would be something that has either a real-world quality, like:

"It is said that the notorious pirate Shiver Timbers became so paranoid in his late age, that he dug out an entire underground cave to make his final resting place. He proclaimed that no one would be able to find it, or the precious, indescribable treasure that he left behind in the world."

Or, it would have a more magical quality, more of a legend or folk lore, like this:

"According to the ancient scripts, the Urn of Whispering Souls is a mysterious artifact that was created to draw in any residue magic left over from unicorns who have passed on, but became lost after it was stolen by a greedy and corrupt unicorn who wanted power. Legend says that when the moon reaches its zenith one thousand years after its creation, the seal on the Urn of Whispering Souls will be broken, releasing all the magic it hoarded into the nearest unicorn. Such power would be unimaginable in the wrong hooves, and so it is perhaps for the best that the Urn will forever be lost to Equestria."

Things like that. Whether or not they are true will be determined during the RP (hint: probably not, but most legends are based on some truth - or some word play).

8) Since my character is an explorer, I'd like to have the RP be centered around something like a treasure hunt. I don't want to give away too much here, but I need to ask - any thoughts on finding treasure? I'm not talking like, piles and piles of bits the would make every pony in the group filthy rich for the rest of their lives. But maybe one pile of bits, an old artifact or two (not the magical kind, more like random junk that somepony might still want to place on their shelves), and some old letters. Materialistically, is there a limit on what RPers can make ponies just find lying around?

*Whew*

Sorry for the huge block of questions, but I want to ask them all before I start RPing. Better safe than sorry!

I'm not an admin, but what I get from most other questions for the RP, as well as other rules, here's what I can tell you.

#1: It kinda depends on what kind of RP you want to do. For the World of Equestria, the main RP, it's supposed to be like the show, a lot of slice-of-life kind of stuff. So, while it wouldn't be ideal, I guess you could have "slots" like you describe. There's no rule against it. It's really dependent on what you plan to do for the RP.

#2: I think it would fall under Private unless there are other "Open" slots that could just be misc characters that don't need to fit a certain role but want to be part of the story.

#3: At least to me, "Open" signifies that anyone can hop in at any time. I think it would be best to set it to Private or Invite Only if you want only certain people in.

#4: I think this was asked somewhere else, and I think the answer is "Yes" you can have NPC ponies.

#5: I think there's a similar thing going on with the "Ponywalk" thing. If you were to make this "Open," then I think you would have to start a thread in each area that the group moved to as they were moving. If you made this private, then as long as it's in the Private RP section, it doesn't really matter how often the group moves about to different towns, as long as everyone is on the same page as to what town they're in.

#6: It depends on where the new location is. A cave in the Everfree Forest I see no problem with, since the area is basically unexplored. Same with a quicksand pit in the desert. A new landmark in Ponyville would probably not be okay since the majority of the show takes place there, but landmarks anywhere else I see no problem with.

#7: I'm not entirely sure on this one. For the WoE RP, you'd have to ask an Admin, I don't know. For Free-For-All or Crossover, this would be perfectly fine, since they technically don't count for the main RP. You'd best ask an Admin who knows for sure.

#8: Once again, an Admin would be better suited for answering this, but from what I would personally say, I think so long as it's nothing huge, like you said a giant mountain of bits, I think it's okay. Like your example of some cool artifacts they found, have no purpose but to look cool, and maybe a small pile of bits. I think that is acceptable.

From what I'm getting from this, you're planning some kind of huge adventure, and it sounds pretty cool, but this would probably have to go under FFA, since the main RP is mostly slice-of-life style RPs.

Hope I don't get proven completely wrong by an Admin ;)

Thanks for answering everything!

I see what you mean. It would probably be a Private RP then, and I would ask people to send me messages if they wish to join. I hope that won't discourage people from taking a look - on the other forums where I RP, having a private thread usually means that the RP owner has specific people in mind to join, and other RPers just pass over those RPs because they know they're not invited. If I made this Private, any idea if I'd be able to advertise in the Open OOC section?

And yeah, I'm particularly concerned about the making up of legends and stuff. The Mane RP is suppose to follow the canon very closely, so I'm not sure if making up stuff that's not shown in the show would be allowed!

And you are exactly right! I'm planning something like a treasure hunt, though I'm concerned about this falling under FFA rather than the Mane RP. I don't want alicorns and those deer-type ponies and ponies with amazing powers joining up. I guess the way I picture it is like the very first (second?) episode of the series, where the mane six head from Ponyville to Everfree forest. They're just a regular group of ponies who adventure out to find some ancient artifacts. If this can only fall under FFA, I might have to ask that only "regular" ponies apply. Like, ones that would pass in the Mane RP.

OR, tweak it to make it more "Slice of life". I guess I just don't to make an RP that includes ponies running around in circles in Ponyville. I want something kinda plot-driven. Hmm. I'll have to think of an RP that would fit into a general life situation type of setting, but have a way to have some progression...

Ah, thanks for all your help korok123! Even if some of your answers are refuted by an Admin, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Yeah, no problem.

Yeah, legend-making is kinda tricky to make for the main RP, and it's generally just easier to stick it in FFA and make it Private/Invite Only, especially if it's only relevant for this one adventure.

As for actually starting it, it's usually best to start an OOC topic saying "Here's what I got in mind and here's what I'm looking for in the players" and seeing how many people say "I want in on this." There are a few FFA/CO that have only Mane RP characters in them, so it's not entirely out of the question to say "Only Mane RP characters" although that may disappoint a few people.

Also, it's korok132, not korok123.

My character is in the process of getting approved, but while I'm waiting, I've been thinking up RP ideas - even though I'm pretty much new to MLP. However, I'm used to RPing on a different forum and under different, less strict and more free-form rules, so I want to make sure the ideas I have in mind are allowed on Canterlot. Hope no one minds a barrage of questions!

I would say the rules generally apply to content rather than 'style'.

1) I would like to have "slots" for the RP

This sounds like you should start with an OOC topic and link it in the OP so people know where to go before they start.

As korok132, the RP should still adhere to a show 'feel'. But ya, we've totally seen the characters go on a mission through the Everfree Forest and to the top of Dragon Mountain, and meet a mystic character like Zecora. Your idea seems plausible.

2) If #1 is accepted, would such an RP fall under Open or Private?

“[Open, PM for invite]” sounds great! It's short and to the point. To avoid people not paying attention and jumping in, you could label it Closed instead of Open, but leave 'PM for invite' in there as well. However, this could also deter people since it says Closed. Use whichever you like.

3) If such an RP is "open"...are we allowed to turn down people who ask to join?

Yep! The OP determines the 'rules' of the RP. If someone jumps in, it's your job to tell a Mod or PM the person yourself. Second option is probably best, but if they're uncooperative you can ask for staff intervention. Also, no, not everyone here is on the same RP level. We don't deny an Application if we can read it, even if the grammar is kind of bad but for the most part readable. An Application also does not fully demonstrate RP ability, but hey, if they're adhering to the rules, we (the staff) can't really deny them the chance to Roleplay. But if it's your RP topic, you can make rules about how to join, how long posts have to be, etc.

4) I read another question saying that it was okay to make up some reasonable monsters for the purpose of RPing, like as an obstacle or confrontation. Can this be done with ponies as well? If the group needs to talk to a librarian or something, can I control a NPC pony for a while?

Yes, but their influence/role in the story shouldn't not be too major. If they show up for a few posts, cool, if they're there walking around and talking with RPers for awhile, probably best to have an Application. Also, not super sure about the monsters thing, mind giving a link?

We're a little bit iffy about monsters showing up in RP. They're generally destructive and uncontrollable, but as we've seen in show, ponies do get attacked by them... but rarely. I mean, I see this RP as an adventure out in the wild, not occurring in a town with a lot of ponies. Also, monsters are not easily defeated by ponies... so it would be something that they would run away from rather than fight.

Fluttershy took care of the Manticore in Elements of Harmony, but prior to that, the five other ponies combined weren't even making a dent in him. He technically was never 'defeated', simply tamed for the time being. With the Dragon from Dragonshy, Fluttershy possibly used 'The Stare' and her way with animals to simply make him leave... as we saw, nothing the others didn't had any affect on the Dragon and were merely an annoyance to him. The same happened with the Cockatrice, where Fluttershy used her 'The Stare' on it, a skill that seems to be unique to her.

5) The RP I have in mind would included traveling to different areas

Anypony may travel anywhere they want at anytime they want, regardless of where they live. Generally, it's good to have reasoning behind it in case it comes up in RP, but it's technically not required to say why they are in a location other than the one they live in.

6) Speaking of moving around, what are the rules of making up areas?

Any forest in Equestria is probably riddled with caves and maybe a few other secrets. Minor areas are alright, as you mentioned. But, suppose you find a tunnel that leads from Whitetail Wood to under Canterlot? That is probably something that would need to go through Proposed Lore and Discussion, but sounds believable enough (if done the right way) to pass somewhat easily. Kind of just depends on how extreme you're planning to get.

7) Same question, different subject. How about making up legends and stories?

Again, best to propose it in the Proposed Lore and Discussion.

"It is said that the notorious pirate Shiver Timbers became so paranoid in his late age, that he dug out an entire underground cave to make his final resting place. He proclaimed that no one would be able to find it, or the precious, indescribable treasure that he left behind in the world."

Or, it would have a more magical quality, more of a legend or folk lore, like this:

"According to the ancient scripts, the Urn of Whispering Souls is a mysterious artifact that was created to draw in any residue magic left over from unicorns who have passed on, but became lost after it was stolen by a greedy and corrupt unicorn who wanted power. Legend says that when the moon reaches its zenith one thousand years after its creation, the seal on the Urn of Whispering Souls will be broken, releasing all the magic it hoarded into the nearest unicorn. Such power would be unimaginable in the wrong hooves, and so it is perhaps for the best that the Urn will forever be lost to Equestria."

With both of these stories, there's potential to create a mary-sue character(s). With the first, if they were to find the cave they would all become unspeakably rich, and also probably somewhat famous for finding such a treasure.

With the second, it definitely could create a god-like character.

However, should either of these legends be the start of an adventure, but turn out to be a hoax in the end, either could be acceptable.

Also, as for what korok132 said, it's best to contact Skye or myself rather than an Admin. Manestream is generally quite busy, and if we can't answer it we'll pass it on to her anyway. Artax does not have a hand hoof in the RP section.

8) Since my character is an explorer, I'd like to have the RP be centered around something like a treasure hunt. I don't want to give away too much here, but I need to ask - any thoughts on finding treasure? I'm not talking like, piles and piles of bits the would make every pony in the group filthy rich for the rest of their lives. But maybe one pile of bits, an old artifact or two (not the magical kind, more like random junk that somepony might still want to place on their shelves), and some old letters. Materialistically, is there a limit on what RPers can make ponies just find lying around?

Pretty much what I just said. Nothing that would drastically change the lives of the characters in the RP or potentially affect ponies outside of it. 'Yay, I found a vase!' Good for you, let's go home.