Injury Limits

ZeiaZeh

I'm sorry, I keep trying to test everything, I don't mean this in a malicious way or anything, I hope your not too bothered by my testy questions, but again I'm still trying to feel around.

So I pondered this on my other topic, but didn't add it to the new one because this is a kind of different question in itself.

So what are the injury limits? I understand something out of violence would be a bit iffy, but do you recall the episode "Read it and Weep" where Rainbow Dash had a flying accident and had to go to the hospital? Remember any of the background characters?

Such as this unnamed pony: http://images.wikia....S02E16_UES1.png

and: http://images.wikia....pony_s02e14.png

(Who some fans I think suspect had Leukemia then died in the later episode Hearts and Hooves day in the very discreet funereal that they seemed to have perform.)

So would something like that be acceptable? A pony with Leukemia? Or is that a little too far out there for your liking? I mean things such as this are delicate subjects, I don't want to offend someone who has a family member going through something like this by making a sick pony with cancer or something.

Or how about the very badly beat up pony in bandages? We don't really know how it got hurt like that, what I suspect was that it got into a flying accident like Rainbow Dash, as you can see it has strange clumps of fur around where wings would go, so I suspect it went through emergency amputation, which would be quite tragic and they would have to do something really crazy in order to get into such bad shape. (To be honest this pony is my favourite background character, and my pony with the torn flanks is based off of him, so its actually not all too original as some people may have thought.)

I'm again sorry for my testy questions, but I'm still trying to find my way around here. I read the rules and all but these are more specific questions I didn't see addressed, hence why I am asking.

So what are the injury limits? I understand something out of violence would be a bit iffy, but do you recall the episode "Read it and Weep" where Rainbow Dash had a flying accident and had to go to the hospital? Remember any of the background characters?

Such as this unnamed pony: http://images.wikia....S02E16_UES1.png

and: http://images.wikia....pony_s02e14.png

Well, the pony in the first picture seems to just have a lot of broken bones; no blood or gore. The second pony may have cancer, but that would be a disease, not an injury.

Or how about the very badly beat up pony in bandages? We don't really know how it got hurt like that, what I suspect was that it got into a flying accident like Rainbow Dash, as you can see it has strange clumps of fur around where wings would go, so I suspect it went through emergency amputation, which would be quite tragic and they would have to do something really crazy in order to get into such bad shape.

It's doubtful that they would amputate wings. It's probably just an area they had to shave to bandage him properly, like what happens when dogs get hurt. The area around the injury has to be shaved to bandage the actual injury properly. This pony was probably an Earth pony to begin with.

I've been wondering about the limits on injuries too. Here's roughly where I think the limits are, but please correct me so I know.

1. Old Injuries. - Stuff that happened before they were app'd (or otherwise out of the RP), and has long since healed over. Would it be correct to say anything can happen as long as it's reasonable for the setting?

• Acceptable: Stunt failures, accidents, natural disasters
  • Unacceptable: Psycho-ponies, violent crime, self-mutilation
  • Don't know: Monster attacks, animal attacks, infection

2. Offscreen Injuries. - The character shows up in a thread with these injuries, but the incident that caused them was not seen.

• Acceptable: Simple fractures, most cuts, burns
  • Unacceptable: Compound fractures, anything that shows organs or bone
  • Don't know: Puncture / stab wounds, nerve damage, and "How much blood is too much?"

3. Onscreen Injures. - Injuries that actually happen during the RP. I'd expect this to be similar to offscreen injury limits, but may have to be a little stricter due to pain and such. (Example: Think of the difference between "burned" and "burning")

4. Not injured, just faking it. This last point is off on a tangent, but I've been brainstorming a prankster character lately that can make sections of herself invisible just to scare other ponies. Part of me thinks having any guts be seen this way wouldn't be allowed, but there's also the point that there isn't any actual injury or blood loss, so she would be almost like a walking medical diagram. Anybody remember the old "Inside-out Boy" shorts from Nickelodeon?

1. Old Injuries. - Stuff that happened before they were app'd (or otherwise out of the RP), and has long since healed over. Would it be correct to say anything can happen as long as it's reasonable for the setting?

I've seen scars go through several times, though I think people always explain how they got the mark(s)

• Acceptable: Stunt failures, accidents, natural disasters
Generally.
  • Unacceptable: Psycho-ponies, violent crime, self-mutilation

^ True.

• Don't know: Monster attacks, animal attacks, infection
Depends.
2. Offscreen Injuries. - The character shows up in a thread with these injuries, but the incident that caused them was not seen.
Well, this is generally unnecessary in a topic because ponies don't tend to get injured that often. Even Rainbow Dash can crash a dozen times and be fine, but on wrong landing gets her... a broken wing.
  • Acceptable: Simple fractures, most cuts, burns

This sounds alright.

• Unacceptable: Compound fractures, anything that shows organs or bone
Right.
  • Don't know: Puncture / stab wounds, nerve damage, and "How much blood is too much?"

What would they get stabbed by? Even with the possibility of being attacked by some creature, it would likely be a deep scratch rather than a direct stab. Also, blood is a bit of a touchy area since blood isn't shown in G-rated (all ages) movies.

3. Onscreen Injures. - Injuries that actually happen during the RP. I'd expect this to be similar to offscreen injury limits, but may have to be a little stricter due to pain and such.

Again... there isn't a whole lot in the RP world to injury anypony.

4. Not injured, just faking it. This last point is off on a tangent, but I've been brainstorming a prankster character lately that can make sections of herself invisible just to scare other ponies. Part of me thinks having any guts be seen this way wouldn't be allowed, but there's also the point that there isn't any actual injury or blood loss, so she would be almost like a walking medical diagram. Anybody remember the old "Inside-out Boy" shorts from Nickelodeon?

Let's not do that and just go with full invisibility.

Again... there isn't a whole lot in the RP world to injury anypony.

I know, but the discussion is what is allowed, not how often it occurs.

What would they get stabbed by? Even with the possibility of being attacked by some creature, it would likely be a deep scratch rather than a direct stab.

A stab doesn't necessarily mean an attack. Mistakes and pointy things just don't play together very well. I agree that this stuff would be extremely rare, but it might as well be asked while we're on the topic of injuries.

Thank you for the fast reply. :)

A stab doesn't necessarily mean an attack. Mistakes and pointy things just don't play together very well. I agree that this stuff would be extremely rare, but it might as well be asked while we're on the topic of injuries.

Unicorns have pointy horns, and all ponies are effectionate, I can see a lot of scratches or pokes, especially with younger ponies... and lets not forget Pointy Sticks!