Lets Make Customs!

Thunder Boomer

• 2 weeks later...
Oh neat! That will be great! I can't wait to see what applejack ends up looking like!

Gonna throw this out there for anyone wanting to start a custom soon. Restoredoll.com has their merch on sale 30% off until May 22. Good time to stock up on some nylon hair!

http://stores.restoredoll.com/-strse-Do ... gories.bok

Restoredoll tends to use saran, which isn't as flexible for making super curls. It's also a little thicker and heavier. It's much better if you want stick straight styles.

Nylon is what the ponies actually use, and if you want a little bit more control, Dollyhair has an awesome selection. They use the same manufacturer as Hasbro, so the colors are dead on. And if you need any advice regarding Dollyhair's colors, you can totally PM me. I am well-versed in their selection due to at least 6 years of customizing/fixing Ponies and 3 years of Blythes, and I am good at coming up with mixes of hair that exactly match other colors (many years of color theory and working with CMYK screenprinting). I am only really good at this mostly because I break/ruin **** all the time and need to fix it.

These are the Dollyhair colors. I can go in and add Restoredoll's approximations in another color later.

Here are what is likely the best marches for the main cast ponies' hair. I matched them to older ponies, and sample I have here.

Rainbow Dash: the red, I am going to hazard a guess POMME D' AMOUR, since it is a new color, and none of the older ponies had Dash's red, Lemon Drop, Nectarine (again, a guess. I will have to get samples), lucky clover (confirmed), Water Nixie or Atomic Turquoise (I have to find Firefly or Majesty to confirm)

Pinkie Pie: Heart Throb

Rarity: Sour Grapes (the darker) Sugarplum (lighter) A better match for the show: Reroot the OUTER row of hair with a mixture of Sour Grapes and Hematite and the INNER band with straight up Sour Grapes (or maybe Ultraviolet)

Twilight Sparkle: Actual: Sour Grapes, Heart Throb Better match for the show: Hematite as the main blue (definitely NOT Forget Me Not. It is way too medium of a blue, and it's super clash-y with the toy's plastic color), the purple streak would be Sugarplum and the pink would be Heart Throb.

Fluttershy: Actual: Candytuft Better match for the show: Pussycat (warning, Pussycat might fade over time, it did in the old ponies. Just keep her out of direct sunlight for long periods of time). You could get away with Kitten (matte) or Tea Rose, but Pussycat is what the source pony, Posey had.

Applejack: Lemonade.

Also, any of these places will send you a tiny sample if you are unsure. Generally for free. Just ask!

I would also recommend:

getting several of these rehairing tools: https://custompo.startlogic.com/store/c ... p?cPath=30 You WILL break them. So better to get several. And don't try to make your own by cutting needles. I have NO idea what super strong needles she uses to make these, but I tried and failed at least 20 times.

A size 12 or 14 crochet hook (you can loop your hair inside and secure it that way. You can find these at any craft store.

Fabric glue "liquid stitch" in case you do a knot method and want to secure your knots. It's safer and less reactive than a lot of other glues.

Not attempting mohair until you have the basics of doll re-rooting down. Mohair, while gorgeous is much harder to work with.

:) I have hair coming right now from Dollyhair, CustomPony and RestoreDoll. I would have just ordered from DollyHair, but she was out of a couple colors I needed to restore a G1 as well as the neon pink I wanted. So I ordered those from CustomPony . . . then I saw RestoreDoll had her stuff on sale so I ordered a couple colors from there (The stuff I ordered said Nylon, so I hope I don't end up with Saran)

I'm used to re-hairing with the old-school needle method, but the re-hairing tools look so much quicker. I made my own with the handle of an exacto blade and some needles I trimmed. So far it's worked good.

I got hair from dollyhair for Star Chaser, I'm going to be turning a Dash toy into her... I don't have the toy or the paint yet (it's coming in the mail) so I've just been working on the little hair plugs. Does anypony know about how many plugs the G4s have? I don't want to count my current Dash because she's got her hair done and it will get all messed up.

I got hair from dollyhair for Star Chaser, I'm going to be turning a Dash toy into her... I don't have the toy or the paint yet (it's coming in the mail) so I've just been working on the little hair plugs. Does anypony know about how many plugs the G4s have? I don't want to count my current Dash because she's got her hair done and it will get all messed up.

It might vary. I know it does on the old ones.

• 2 weeks later...

so I've been keeping myself busy, here's my current customs progress...

I rerooted a fluttershy with pussycat, I like the color a lot better but I had a lot of trouble styling it. It was very ... literal, I use straws and bobby pins for curlers and they aren't completely round, instead of nice round curls I'd get on the normal ponies this hair would give me a square shaped curl. This is original and rerooted fluttershy next to eachother (reroot is on the left)

228019_10150595155245788_703185787_18631988_6156547_n.jpg

Here's star Chaser so far, my best advice is to use a paperclip for painting cutie marks and eyes, it works very well.

226708_10150594969940788_703185787_18630052_4752749_n.jpg

227543_10150595247840788_703185787_18632654_4064031_n.jpg

(Star's future hair is in the plastic bag that is visible in the second picture)

Also making Lily Blossom (my character, not the background pony)

230718_10150595138070788_703185787_18631862_8261525_n.jpg

Fluttershy looks awesome though! Her hair might relax a bit if you get it super hot (with water) and then curl it

Thanks I'll give that a try :P

Thunder, that really sucks :( I've put all my hair orders in through dollyhair and they've been great, maybe try dollyhair next time?

Thunder, that really sucks :P I've put all my hair orders in through dollyhair and they've been great, maybe try dollyhair next time?

Actually I placed an order from all three, dollyhair, restoredoll and custompony. Restore doll came within 3 days of ordering, and dollyhair took about a week. I finally said "screw it" today, and ordered some matte blue I liked from restoredoll. It'll probably show up before the custompony stuff does. :roll:

:/ I'm still waiting on hair from custompony. It's taking much longer then expected.

CRAP, I totally forgot to tell you (because I had forgotten), CustomPony gets some of their hair from Dollyhair, so if you bought hair that's the same name, it's the same exact hair.

it looks like she posted something about orders being backed up on her site, though.

:/ I'm still waiting on hair from custompony. It's taking much longer then expected.

CRAP, I totally forgot to tell you (because I had forgotten), CustomPony gets some of their hair from Dollyhair, so if you bought hair that's the same name, it's the same exact hair.

it looks like she posted something about orders being backed up on her site, though.

Huh. Well that's good to know then.

that is pretty awesome you deserve a hug for that *gives pony hug*

Thanks! I accept your pony hug on behalf of my poor hands that were in wet mohair and being stuck with needles all night to make this happen.

Now I have to paint her other eye.

• 1 month later...

Huh. Been thinking this whole time I made a comment on your Spitfire, Scotchie. Guess I didn't. She's awesome by the way.

Sooo. . . I took on too many ponies at once. XD My Thunder Boomer custom is still sitting unpainted, because the unbaked sculpy on his feet keeps wanting to crack. I'm thinking I might have an excuse to buy some epoxy sculpt, but I don't know if you can smooth it like you can clays.

I have a Dandelion custom needing her cutie mark, and a half-flocked Pinkie Pie. I also started painting on a purple G1 fakie.

Buuuuutt. . . I did finish one. Kinda had to since it was for a swap. She was a pain in the ass, because I screwed up her symbol when I curled her tail. I ended up having to sand it off and re-paint it. She turned out okay in the end. I named her Sakura Dusk, and she's cherry blossom scented. XD

SakuraDusk.jpg

SakuraDusk2.jpg

I felt bad for making my partner wait a week while I fixed the symbol, so I made her a little custom petite as well. (She's not a real petite, I made a mold of one and cast her in resin)

SakuraPetite.jpg

Yeah, it wouldn't be very nice to ruin her ponies. XD

They're only 5 bucks though, so buying one to mess with isn't a huge deal. If you're strapped for cash though, you could always practice on a fakie first as well. You can usually find those at grocery stores, pharmacies or dollar stores.

Yeah, it wouldn't be very nice to ruin her ponies. XD

They're only 5 bucks though, so buying one to mess with isn't a huge deal. If you're strapped for cash though, you could always practice on a fakie first as well. You can usually find those at grocery stores, pharmacies or dollar stores.

Hmm... I might just have a go at that ;)