The Lorax

Alright, so since I've seen people raving about this movie, I went and saw it. I'm thinking I'd like it more upon my second viewing... 'cause I was not overly enthused by it.

The Once-Ler was cool, I guess.

I wasn't a fan of the group songs. I think this is what bothered me the most. The songs were just a bunch of people all singing together... you couldn't really pick out voices on instruments; it was just a lot of noise. And the songs seemed to be a lot about the beat. There was a lot of beat to them, and I just found them too... I guess secular and modern. Like, that's all anyone is producing these days. Turn on the radio, 'boom boom' on every song. And I just didn't like that about them.

I wasn't really saddened when they cut down the last tree either... probably because I saw the first The Lorax movie and knew the plot. Well, except for the end, because Universal stuck that in.

I guess I may have just been hung up on the original plot. I mean, if you removed the girl and just said the guy was curious of his own whims, I think I would have liked that better... I mean, I just really like how in the old movie, the Once-Ler gives the kid the final seed and tells him to take it an plant it. Then the kid goes off, but they never say if he actually starts a forest from the one seed or if he just throws it aside. It's a mysterious ending that I actually liked, when I'm generally not fond of them. I think it's because that guy is supposed to represent YOU... so what you do in life tells the rest of the story.

I'm also a fan of the constant rhyming that the old Dr. Seuss TV specials had.

Also, somewhere I missed, "She's a woman, in high school." From the commercial, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Or did that line not make it into the movie at all? From the commercial, it sounded to me like it could be two unrelated lines, so that could be why I missed it.

Anyway, what did you guys think?

Well I have seen the older version and this one.

The updated plot was fairly good. It seemed to be fit in with the story fairly.

The main part of the story was not altered too much, which I liked.

The music was ok. Some songs I liked better than others like How Bad Can I Be.

Animation wise it was great. Didn't see that many issues with that.

Overall I thought it was good, although nothing compares to the original story.

Sorry but I am with Nostalgia chick on this one:

http://thatguywithth...34545-the-lorax

In short this is a terrible adaptation reeking too much of the Shrek syndrome

I think she pretty much summarizes my thoughts... using more words.

"They want to plant the tree because trees are cool."

From about 15:26-17:06 of that makes some very good points. They don't want to plant a tree because it's necessary, they just want to plant it because it's cool. It's like the Thneed all over again. Trees are going to be the next big thing... and heck, if you can get free air out of it, bonus!

I mean, you could try to argue that there were other people who wanted trees and clean air, but just didn't speak up... but at the beginning of the movie it says, 'everything was plastic, and they liked it that way!' If a mob of people wanting to leave the city/explore the world got together, they could just do what the kid did at the end and bulldoze through the wall. But legitimately, 'everything was plastic, and they liked it that way!' They don't even want a better life with clean air. They just don't care. The environment is polluted, but still liveable... so no one wants/needs to fix anything. Even the grandma is just like... 'I remember trees', just like we say, 'I remember VHS tapes' or 'I remember pogs'. It's like trees were just a fun thing that went out of style.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm with the nostalgia chick too, to me the string of animated relises from dr.seuss ( the grinch, the lorax, sam i am, etc) where PERFECT ! they showed what they needed to perfectly and told the story how it was meant to be told. I feel they add to much to these simple but perfect stories and i don't think alot of these elements are needed.

It wouldn't bother me so badly, but i just don't think the directors had a lot of respect for the orignal sourse material, they spend like what 15 minutes on the actual plot and then just make up their own ? If you want to do that why bother with the Lorax at all ? just make you're own movie !

It wouldn't bother me so badly, but i just don't think the directors had a lot of respect for the orignal sourse material, they spend like what 15 minutes on the actual plot and then just make up their own ? If you want to do that why bother with the Lorax at all ? just make you're own movie !

Why? Because

bag_of_money.png

well the source material can be - and films can HAVE anti-corperate messages yet this film was made by UNIVERSAL !

This is part of the reson why Dr.Seuss has been botched to heavily by this stuff, alot of his book are against all this marketing stuff

( all the once-ler shennanagins) and yet they market the HELL out of this stuff ! - especially enjoying the "lorax approved" car advert that proceeedthe film yet in the 'how bad can i be' song they had the 'lorax approved' seal when it wasn't.

I haven't watched it yet, and I'm not going to judge.

But if there is one thing I don't enjoy in featured animated films these days is that they only hire movie celebrities for roles instead of proper voice actors who can do twice a better job.

Zac Efron? I'm sorry, but just hearing his voice in the trailer made me realize how the film might not turn out well at all.

I haven't watched it yet, and I'm not going to judge.

But if there is one thing I don't enjoy in featured animated films these days is that they only hire movie celebrities for roles instead of proper voice actors who can do twice a better job.

Zac Efron? I'm sorry, but just hearing his voice in the trailer made me realize how the film might not turn out well at all.

I might not be the best person to ask, because i am quite a big fan of Dr.Suess, and depending on how much you are a fangirl you are, if you don't really mind adaptations then that's fine but if you're a bit of a purist ( like me ) then i wouldn't

If you really want to see it i'd wait to rent it, its not really worth ticket price or purchase.

I might not be the best person to ask, because i am quite a big fan of Dr.Suess, and depending on how much you are a fangirl you are, if you don't really mind adaptations then that's fine but if you're a bit of a purist ( like me ) then i wouldn't

If you really want to see it i'd wait to rent it, its not really worth ticket price or purchase.

I've never really read any Dr. Seuss books, and I don't mean to insult the movie blindly. It's just a little pet-peeve I've got about casting choices and all.

Also, I'm not a girl, haha.

Thanks for the advise, though. Rental it is! :D