S02EP24 - "MMMystery on the Friendship Express"

OK... seriously... This thread has upped my respect for you many many folds. Wow... I'm very impressed... I wish I could be as good at baking. I understand the concepts and the science (especially the science >_>), and can certainly follow instructions to bake something, but I could never figure out what went wrong if I tried and failed at baking something. Which has often discouraged me from baking.

I'm totally trying that recipe btw next time I'm hungry for brownies, even as just as an experiment. I can't imagine them tasting better than brownies baked in an oven, but I am curious to try them, just because it seems really quick and easy to do.

Out of curiosity... what sort of oil is needed?

Thanks Swirly! I'm flattered.

A looooot of stuff goes wrong with cocoa baking because the two types of cocoa available (dutched and natural) vary in pH by quite a bit. Dutched cocoa is alkaline, whereas natural cocoa is acidic. Both can muck with the leavening in a baked good, especially in cakes, so it's very important to see if the recipe calls for dutched or not. This recipe should be fine with either because we're using steam to cook the flour and give it a little lift and texture -- it's going to have a crumb to it, but it's going to be fudgy.

Any neutral oil will work, such as vegetable, canola, peanut, safflower, etc.

When you mix it, the ingredients will be a bit pasty. You'll have to form them into the bottom of the mug or bowl, but it's definitely as close to a "fudgy" microwave brownie as you'll expect to make in 2 minutes.

I just realized that Big Mac had no problem tugging along Berry Punch's house, but put the MMMM on top of him, and he struggles.

Obviously Cake > House.

Big Mac pulled that house inspired by the power of luuuuuv ♥_♥. Love conquers all (except Asia in a land war)!

• Like 1

He was also dragging the house as opposed to supporting the cake, it's possible to drag a lot heavier load than you can carry. Not to mention he was very worried about the cake, so stress made it a lot worse...

hi hi

See, the thing is that a house is mostly made out of empty space, right? And that cake was clearly filled with saturated fats, which as we all know, are heavier than unsaturated ones. Also, in MMMMystery, he was saddled with the burden of responsibility. :)

It was Berry Punch's house. It was probably full of liquor, which has higher density than the fat present in the cake. However there was probably a lot of sugar and flour in the cake as well -- and the marzipan can be especially dense and heavy, but since Berry is a raging alcoholic, I think her house was heavier than the MMMM.

mlfw2256_medium.png

Hay! Drinking my ish problem not. *hic*

I can cook, but for me, baking is still a dark art, and recipes are to be adhered to to the letter because any deviation without knowing your stuff can be a complete disaster.

That's funny, for me it's the reverse, I've baked both using (gluten free) mixes and from scratch but I find regular cooking to be really stressful, maybe because with baking I feel less pressure to have it be spot on perfect; Normally I'm very picky but my standards are much more....lax with sugary things, I've even eaten this one kind of Christmas cookie called a Kringle (which I also call the equilibrium cookie because even fresh it's so hard that the amount of energy you gain from eating it is probably equal to the amount of energy you spend trying to bite a piece off)

But either way that was a very interesting Rosewind :)

By the way did anypony else notice that there were a few Ponies standing out side of Sugarcube Corner right at the point when Big Macintosh is carrying the cake out? Berry Punch even has a sign with Hearts on it

Also you can see the reactions of the guilty Ponies when Pinkie is talking about the cake: Rainbow Dash licks her mouth, Fluttershy's eyes open all the way and Rarity's eyes sparkle

And you can see the silouettes in the windows (I didn't notice how they had Fluttershy's be distinct) and the false eyelash on the painting (which we see without the eyelash earlier)

I love when they have little details like that

I LOVED this episode so much more than any other in S2 (Besides Return to Harmony)!

-The MMMM sounded and looked scrumptious!

-Twilight and Pinkie switching hats constantly

-Gustav, Donut Joe and Mulia were very entertaining.

-"Who turned out the moon?" Excellent allusion to Luna!

-The cake left unmarred is a LIE!!!

-Where was Spike during all this?

-Rarity still looks pretty without eyelashes.

-The 'Con Mane' bit was funny.

-All the descriptions of the food made me hungry and want to make them myself. ^^

-Ha! Everypony did it-wait, everypony did it?!

The ending was great, for baking is my passion, and seeing the chefs come together at the end was incredibly heartwarming.