Signature limitations

Skye

This is how it's supposed to be done, and is the main purpose for the logs. You create a singular page with your characters with links to their profile and then list the RP's they are in beneath them. If you want a good example of how it's supposed to work, look at my own signature. You can click my image and get taken to my log, where you will see my characters and their roleplays in one centralized location. That's where they're supposed to go - Not in your signature! A signature is supposed to be a short representation of yourself in a quick and easy manner. Not a huge posting in and of itself. It's supposed to be only a short quote, or a link, or a singular image. Think a signature on a check. You don't write your signature, then all the names of your friends, and your home addresses, and your phone numbers and your bank account information in there... there are blocks specifically for those. You put your Signature in the Signature block and nothing else. The size is intended to keep people from writing huge post-length signatures in code. You should never have a single URL in your signature that will exceed the four line limit - that's where you'd use Minify or TinyURL or our own service. Keep your links simple and short.

Images should not exceed the set size, either, because again, we don't want a bunch of signatures that exceed the posts they are attached to, but better that than the large lines of code that people keep sticking in their sigs. And I've had to edit a few because they were excessive. Again, use my own as an example. We really really encourage people to use their log pages to keep everything organized in there. That's what they're there for.

So that`s why we can't do that anymore? Because links to our OCs doesn't belong in a signature?

Well what is the problem with it? It's optically unobtrusive, and as far as data size goes (for loading times/data values), one letter is about 1-2 bytes in size if I recall correctly, while a picture of the specified sizes is about 30kb+.

If you want a good example of how it's supposed to work, look at my own signature. You can click my image and get taken to my log...

*clicks on image*

<nothing happens>

:-(

• Like 2

So that`s why we can't do that anymore? Because links to our OCs doesn't belong in a signature?

Well what is the problem with it? It's optically unobtrusive, and as far as data size goes (for loading times/data values), one letter is about 1-2 bytes in size if I recall correctly, while a picture of the specified sizes is about 30kb+.

Right, because then your signature becomes chock full of entirely too many links and you end up with a veritable buttload when it should only be a couple.

Right, because then your signature becomes chock full of entirely too many links and you end up with a veritable buttload when it should only be a couple.

It's still only 4 lines, and entirely far smaller them most picture based signature, both it data transfer and visual size.

Meh, I fit 20 characters on two lines. :/

\

Yes, but what do you do when you have 40 characters? Or more? I don't think I know anyone that has that many yet, but may as well get the head start and do it properly with the log, as it should be done. That's how it's supposed to have been done from day 1, really. In my own case, I have an image that is actually too tall but has been grandfathered, so I'm going to have to shrink it so it fits in the sig box so I can fix the link, I just haven't gotten around to it yet, and I still have no internet at home yet.

tbh, what i funny interesting in this discussion is that the people who are trying to get away with murder [/sarcasm] with their sigs are the only ones in this thread that are every day RPers. The people who don't role play are the ones that seem to be satisfied with a picture and a single link to a non-canterlot page. These signatures were very helpful in terms of referencing in RP, and now that we can't do them, its a bit frustrating to find out that it's because its too big, or 'was never supposed to be allowed in the first place'.

At this point, I'm satisfied with just posting all the charry links in my RP posts. I can deal with it. Its just a pain in the flank.

tbh, what i funny interesting in this discussion is that the people who are trying to get away with murder [/sarcasm] with their sigs are the only ones in this thread that are every day RPers. The people who don't role play are the ones that seem to be satisfied with a picture and a single link to a non-canterlot page. These signatures were very helpful in terms of referencing in RP, and now that we can't do them, its a bit frustrating to find out that it's because its too big, or 'was never supposed to be allowed in the first place'.

At this point, I'm satisfied with just posting all the charry links in my RP posts. I can deal with it. Its just a pain in the flank.

Well, Again, that's why you were supposed to have and maintain your log page. That way you only have one link, one point of maintenance, and anyone can see it. It's simpler than trying to maintain a signature and trying to get everything arranged just right. Like I said earlier, it's like signing your name on a check. Just your signature please, in your signature.

Hmm, okay. I start to take this personal, to be honest. I present reasonable arguments why I don't understand this restriction, and get completely ignored.

This question is done as far as I'm concerned. I wont get a straight answer from anyone. Just close it. I'm sick of thinking about it.

Well, Again, that's why you were supposed to have and maintain your log page. That way you only have one link, one point of maintenance, and anyone can see it. It's simpler than trying to maintain a signature and trying to get everything arranged just right. Like I said earlier, it's like signing your name on a check. Just your signature please, in your signature.

im very proud of my log. I consider it an example of what one should look like. The problem is that not everyone has a character log, and half of the people that do don't update it regularly. I have an up to date log, so for me it works. But because character logs have never been required, so many RPers tend to think its not as important. I suggested radically a long while ago that logs should be required and updated regularly so that link pooling in the signature wouldn't be needed, but I guess it was too extreme.

SixFootNeon2.jpg

Closing topic on that final note.

I'm now working on removing 'RP Name' from under your avatars and replacing it with Rp Log where people can go to read all about your characters.

What you do from there on is up to you.

Be creative with your RP. If you're not able to express a different character in your RP, then perhaps writing isn't a worth while pursuit for yourself.

Personally, I like the different colours people have assigned their different characters to represent difference.

Another note: I am actually working on a NEW way of displaying your RP posts.

It'll be creative, original and I'm not sure it's ever been done on an RP forum before.