Magic the Gathering

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an old school MTG player. I started around 3rd Ed and stopped right after the Onslaught expansions. Since then I haven't played but I still keep my old decks (mostly type one now). I still get together with my friends back in high school and college to play a few chaos games, free-for-all 4 players game. Sadly, MTG has been dying out in my area and I don't get to meet my old buddies from the old hobby shop. Ah those were the days...

I used to build theme decks, like Merefolks, Elves, Slivers and Dragon decks. Sadly, none of these decks are accepted today and most (if not all) are considered type 1.

Avacyn Restored: OP angels, decent demons, and I'm happy to finally, and I mean FINALLY, see a female blue planeswalker with an ability that trumps mind sculpture, memory Adept, and Beleren all at once.

Have a full set of promo moonsilver spears, and with 2 + parallel lives i can get over 9000 angels in a single swing.

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, someone asked Mark Rosewater (head designer of magic) what he thought of My Little Pony, and he professed complete ignorance on his tumblr. So sad.

10167%20-%20derpy_hooves%20magic_the_gathering.jpg

Not much of MTG player, but still... first one cracked me.

This is copied from the favorite pictures thread, but it was amusing enough that I wanted to discuss it further.

I'm not sure why they are colorless, or why there are two partially but not completely separated pieces, or...

The red ability is brilliant though.

And derpy seems emotionally driven. Anti-blue. Red is the best choice for her:

Derpy Hooves

Casting Cost: R

Legendary Creature - Pegasus

As an additional cost to cast Derpy, give each opponent a fresh muffin.

Flying

At the beginning of the end step, choose a non-flying creature at random. Derpy deals 1 damage to that creature.

1/1

See? This makes a little more sense.

Ooooooooh, wait. I think I just missed the point.

33.jpg

The story on this card is that artist Ron Spencer was tasked with drawing a demon for an earlier set, and after his sketch was approved, he turned this in as a joke. He would also honor his commitment and turn in the demon as well, but this card was left in the file of unused art that is typically reserved for pieces that could be re-purposed. Mark Rosewater found it while going through the file looking for images that he could use for the unglued set.

Meh, my friend, when it comes to MGT, uses one of the most popular and annoying combos...

Howling Mine + Stasis + Orb of Dreams + Chronatog + Jace...

Of course, it's counterable, like everything in MGT, but it's annoying as hell...

Not using Kismet because his deck is pure blue.

• 1 month later...

<Cast's Animate Dead>

Well I guess it's suitible to bring this decased topic back on track, for the other one is strickly about decks building.

I must say I am pleasantly surprised with Return of Ravnica and it's pre-realese rules ( in short - you chose one of five guilds that appears in the set and it you get guild booster and promo card in it - that you can play{The Hay?!}).

Among other things....in Izzet vs Golgari duel deck indeed will be Jared preview. But thats also brings the new question. In new Ravnica block some Guildmasters returns (among them Isperia and Niv-Mizzet) and they will get new cards. So it's now unknown if the Izzet Guildmaster will appear in his Guildpack incarnation or be a preview like Jared.

Also in RoR we will get new Jace (Again?! Give me a break!) and some other planeswalker. In Gatecrash (second set of the block) we will get new Gideon and someone else.

Return to Ravnica will include: Azorius, Rakdos, Selesnya, Golgari, and Izzet. While Gatecrash will contain: Simic, Dimir, Boros, Orzhov, and Gruul.

I am not a fan of the guild model, except that it gives really nice ways to name all the two color combinations. Since I only used 3 of the 10 combinations, I'm anticipating a smaller than average number of cards that I will enjoy. However:

I must say I am pleasantly surprised with Return of Ravnica and it's pre-realese rules ( in short - you chose one of five guilds that appears in the set and it you get guild booster and promo card in it - that you can play{The Hay?!}).

Hearing about that made me think I might go to the pre-release anyways. I'll be playing Selesnya! And am looking forward to a way better keyword than convoke!

Five guilds per set? What's the last set going to look like?! I have so many questions that only the future can answer!

They have already said that the last set will have all ten guilds. I'm more interested to see how they will deal with 5 guilds in a big set into 5 guilds in a small set. Perhaps we will see the first ever Big-Big-Small block?

They have already said that the last set will have all ten guilds. I'm more interested to see how they will deal with 5 guilds in a big set into 5 guilds in a small set. Perhaps we will see the first ever Big-Big-Small block?

Indeed it was said that both RoR and Gatecrash will be big ones while the third (for now known as Sinker) is small.

Makes sense.

Were you there? I haven't found a video for the session yet...

Nope. I just lurk on the bunch of the Magic forums. The info was presented on Comics Con in San Diego.

Continuing with Ravnica pre - you will also get a spindown with chosen guild symbol, sticker (also with the chosen guild), letter from Guildmaster and card with guild achivments to accomplish.

First six cards of From the Vault: Realms was also shown. They are - Grove of the Burnwillows, Murmuring Bosk, Forbidden Orchard, Glacial Chasm (yay!), Dryad Arbor and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (hurray!).

Also announced was new product Commander Arsenal. It will realesed periodically - once per year - specifically for Commander.

• 1 month later...

Personally I never got into EDH, but I do look forward to RtR should be interesting. I don't know where my allegiance stands!! I'm a bant player so i have no Idea if i should go blue/green, white/blue or green/white. I might just say F it and go with boros.

From the Vault: Realms full list finaly revealed.

Ah! Thanks! I had not seen the full list yet.

It is good to see valuable tournament cards in the list, especially Vesuva and Urborg. Heck, those two together are worth the price of the set until their price goes down as a result of this getting released. Which I do not consider a bad thing.

It is amusing to see some silly stuff like Glacial Chasm and Desert which don't have much value. I wish all my Chasms were valuable so I could sell them! I have seen it in tournament deck lists though. Which is more than I can say for desert. Which is the most confusing inclusion to me.

Also, I like that they have a lot of midrange cards that are important to specific decks without being terribly expensive, like the grove, the dryad, the tomb and the orchard. I kinda hate the orchard though because playing against the Oath of Druids deck isn't much fun.

Overall, I think they made a fun selection that showcases much of the history of our fine game, while still being a valuable product. However, I am not part of the target audience that wants these cards. I hope the set does well, but I won't be getting it.

Personally I never got into EDH, but I do look forward to RtR should be interesting. I don't know where my allegiance stands!! I'm a bant player so i have no Idea if i should go blue/green, white/blue or green/white. I might just say F it and go with boros.

Only one of my three favorite guilds is in this set, so I'll be Selesnya at the pre-release.

For those of you who have little idea what is going on in Ravnica, there is finally some story to deal with: CLICKY

Most of it talks about the Selesnya guild, but my favorite part?

The [izzet] League's activities haven't gone unnoticed—that many explosions are hard to miss

Niv-Mizzert sounds like he's trying to make artificial planeswalkers.

Completly possible goal. After all we had Karn. And Memnarch transformed the Argentum into Mirrodin for this very purpose (and it worked!).

Izzet vs Golgari deck list's fully known!

As always I post list for the lazy ones.

Izzet deck:

1 Forgotten Cave

10 Island

2 Izzet Boilerworks

1 Lonely Sandbar

9 Mountain

1 Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind

24 lands

1 Djinn Illuminatus

1 Galvanoth

1 Gelectrode

1 Goblin Electromancer

1 Izzet Chronarch

1 Izzet Guildmage

2 Kiln Fiend

1 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

1 Ogre Savant

2 Shrewd Hatchling

1 Steamcore Weird

2 Wee Dragonauts

15 creatures

1 Brainstorm

1 Call to Heel

1 Dissipate

1 Fire // Ice

1 Invoke the Firemind

1 Isochron Scepter

1 Izzet Charm

1 Magma Spray

1 Overwhelming Intellect

1 Prophetic Bolt

2 Pyromatics

1 Quicksilver Dagger

1 Reminisce

1 Sphinx-Bone Wand

1 Thunderheads

1 Train of Thought

1 Vacuumelt

21 other spells

And now Golgari one:

1 Barren Moor

1 Dakmor Salvage

8 Forest

2 Golgari Rot Farm

1 Svogthos, the Restless Tomb

10 Swamp

1 Tranquil Thicket

24 lands

1 Boneyard Wurm

1 Brain Weevil

1 Doomgape

1 Dreg Mangler

2 Elves of Deep Shadow

1 Eternal Witness

1 Gleancrawler

1 Golgari Grave-Troll

2 Golgari Rotwurm

1 Golgari Thug

1 Greater Mossdog

1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

1 Korozda Guildmage

1 Plagued Rusalka

1 Putrid Leech

1 Ravenous Rats

1 Reassembling Skeleton

1 Sadistic Hypnotist

1 Shambling Shell

1 Stingerfling Spider

1 Stinkweed Imp

23 creatures

1 Feast of Famine

1 Ghoul's Feast

1 Golgari Germination

1 Golgari Signet

1 Grim Flowering

1 Life // Death

1 Life from the Loam

1 Nightmare Void

2 Putrefy

1 Twilight's Call

1 Vigor Mortis

1 Yoke of the Damned

13 other spells

And holly golly isn't that a great list?

Some cards deserve the special mention...for being previews from RtR!

feat210_streetspasm_4563lkoj35_en.jpgfeat210_izzetcharm_5ozsxiwmed_en.jpgfeat210_goblinelectromancer_xhau9ljgi2_en.jpg

feat210_dregmangler_9o1t3wycvq_en.jpgfeat210_korozdaguildmage_mubwkz8hlp_en.jpg1033_z1up2u5p7l.jpg

That decklists are crazy! I would never suspect to see Isochron Scepter one more time. And Eternal Witness? I don't know about you but I buying this Duel Deck in four copies!

That decklists are crazy! I would never suspect to see Isochron Scepter one more time.

Funny.

My first thought upon seeing the charm was "oooh, a good charm to put on isochron scepter!"

And then I saw the scepter and thought "nice".

Archived