Magic the Gathering

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the over all look of Avacyn Restored, with some disappointment over creatures like Grislebrand.

And "Hook" is now been unveiled as "Return to Ravnica".

Really? You were disappointed with a card that nets you 7 cards every time it attacks or blocks, but does it in two aesthetic steps that are separated form each other? If you need life, or cards, you can take one at the expense of the other?

I wouldn't personally use him, but I find him to be an interesting card.

There aren't enough cards out to judge the set as a whole, but you'd better believe I camp the website in the evenings when they are about to release new cards. My favorite card is the angel with flash that flickers one of your creatures when it comes into play. It would slide right into my favorite deck that features enter the battlefield effects.

Also, I took a break between Mirodin Block, and Shards Block, so I didn't get to experience Ravnica the first time around.

The new magic card sets are just starting to get more broken, personal opinion here, in my mind, but eh I don't really buy new cards any ways I just make due with what I have.

got several decks so far a multi purpose, mill, blue flying, black life gain (odd I know), a red burn type of deck, and a green elf/beast deck. All of them work fairly well and that multi purpose one is ove at least 90 cards easily but has been known to get mana base on fourth turn, how I don't know.

I've been playing Magic the Gathering since 1999 (Odyssey Block). I joined FNM in 2005. Mainly I play White, Blue, and a little green.

Interesting to hear that it's Ravnica again. I liked that set.

I really like this game -- I used to play quite a bit of it, and it's addictive. Unfortunately, it's also very expensive to stay competitive, and while my extended decks from the days of Magic yore definitely have some bite to them (especially my squirrel and red/artifact), I think they would have a hard time dealing with present-day card mechanics, and newer card types (like Planeswalkers).

The new magic card sets are just starting to get more broken...

Broken decks and environments are not fun. I am having more fun now that at any other point since I started playing in 1995. Therefore, I do not consider the game broken.

Also, they have been steadily improving the quality of the creatures for years now. You get more bang for you buck, enter the battlefield abilities, enter the graveyard abilities, etcetera that make them more fun and effective to play. But this isn't to say they are at an unhealthy level of power. Just that the creatures are catching up to the level of the other spells.

Keeping up with the game is certainly a challenge, and I have spent at least $500 in the last three years. But that was to get back into the game after I had given away or lost almost my entire collection, and the quantity and quality of enjoyment per dollar is quite reasonable. I can get into a casual draft for about $10 and have fun for 6 hours. Also, within a few months, I will have given away more than 10,000 cards to new players.

Broken decks and environments are not fun. I am having more fun now that at any other point since I started playing in 1995. Therefore, I do not consider the game broken.

Also, they have been steadily improving the quality of the creatures for years now. You get more bang for you buck, enter the battlefield abilities, enter the graveyard abilities, etcetera that make them more fun and effective to play. But this isn't to say they are at an unhealthy level of power. Just that the creatures are catching up to the level of the other spells.

Keeping up with the game is certainly a challenge, and I have spent at least $500 in the last three years. But that was to get back into the game after I had given away or lost almost my entire collection, and the quantity and quality of enjoyment per dollar is quite reasonable. I can get into a casual draft for about $10 and have fun for 6 hours. Also, within a few months, I will have given away more than 10,000 cards to new players.

My folder of rares would probably make you drool, Weeshy! I've got some stuff all the way from Alpha (even a few of the P9). But eh, I can't justify spending more money to get back into the game when I have plenty of cards I've already bought, yanno? Also I'm not crazy about the redesigned look.

Heh, you are probably right about the drooling. I sell everything worth more than $10 to buy other cards, which is why I have spent so little. One of my favorite decks has zero rares. Which of the power nine by the way? I was pretty piqued when I first saw the new frames...about 9 years ago? The white cards looked like the artifacts. But they fixed that, and now they are so much easier to read, the pictures are bigger, and the gold cards show their color identity better. Nowadays, I prefer them. Also, the lands are WAY more aesthetic, and the quality of the art has gone way up. Still, I have fond memories of the early days.

Yes, nothing can match the first beautiful moment of magic. It was outstandingly resonant and exciting. The first thing of its kind.

However, I would not STILL be playing early magic if it had never changed. I would have gotten bored of it. I have come back to it, and revel in the new pieces as they are added. I love using old fun cards in the same deck with new fun cards, finding new interactions, and taking part in new areas of the game. Richard created a game bigger than a few hundred cards could effectively explore.

Maybe the 18th year of the game can't match the first exciting moments, but due to the increased experience and manpower, the 18th year is STILL a fresh and exciting game that challenges, excites and resonates.

Yeah I agree. I wish I had more people to play with around here.

That said, what's your favorite set? Mine is a toss up between Weatherlight and Urza's Saga. I also have a soft spot for Odyssey. (Though for really old-school, I liked Homelands).

I was a huge fan of Mirage. It was one of the last sets that I bought boosters for without knowing what cards could possibly be inside them, and the boosters that I bought were exciting. I had so few cards, that I got a lot of usable cards per booster (instead of 0-2). Also, they did a great job on an African themed set, and it was the first of a string of 9 consecutive sets that I had a blast with.

In modern times, I think the small set Worldwake is phenomenal. It is packed with cards that I love playing with.

However, I think the recent fall set, Innistrad, might be proven by time to be one of the best ever. It is still a little too close to make an accurate judgement, but it has a lot going for it. On a card-by-card basis, Innistrad is pretty weak. However, the set as a whole has such a crazy amount of resonance and recognizable themes, that I have been comparing it to Alpha for months. One of the best cards in the set is an homage to "The Fly", and there many other examples of monsters that I have heard of having abilities that match their legends.

Haven't played this game much in ages. I play it maybe once or twice a year when I meet up with a friend from Cambridge who plays... and always beats me because he's an excellent player and his decks are crazy good. Jerk.

Started playing around about Torment. Mirrodin was my favourite block ever.

Uh, let's see... current favourite decks include a blue/black artifact combo deck (pretty bad, but has a ton of potential infinite combos if left unchecked), a five colour fatties deck (progenitus, bringers, legendary dragons, and Nicol Bolas thrown in for kicks), and my white/green saproling/fungus deck (probably my best deck).

Avacyn Angel of Hope + World Slayer problem?

Indeed. But one of the things that I love about magic is that everything has an answer. A simple bounce spell on Avacyn after the Worldslayer ability goes on the stack would keep everything even.

Personally, I'm a bit more worried about the new 5/5 hexproof flier for 5.

Or the new 10/10 First strike Flier for 7. Well, actually, it says 5/5 on that card, but it's a lie.

From the info I have heard it will be tri colored guilds this time round

That would be a surprise, since the entire identity of the plane is based on two color guilds. Also, we just did a block a few years ago that pushed to three colors, so I doubt that it would be shards. I would predict two colors again. However, we still have not done wedges, and I like it like that. I don't like any of the five possible wedges.

I made a Phage the Untouchable deck. It used Dark Rituals/Demonic Tutors/Yawgmoth's Will to pop her out early -- and it works pretty fast! There's a bajillion counters to it, but when you win the game with an instakill player Deathtouch it's hilarious.

I made a Phage the Untouchable deck. It used Dark Rituals/Demonic Tutors/Yawgmoth's Will to pop her out early -- and it works pretty fast! There's a bajillion counters to it, but when you win the game with an instakill player Deathtouch it's hilarious.

That is a fascinating use for a Yawgmoth's Will. I love using powerful cards for silly purposes. I use my mana vault to transfer braid of fire mana to my main phase for instance. Yawgmoth's Will is so powerful though that I hear about people complaining about its legality in Vintage of all things.

I also enjoy reading about people who manage to win by cheating it onto their opponents side of the board for the insta-loss.

Archived