Magic the Gathering

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yo, this card is HILARIOUS!

Agreed. The counter type is fantastic.

Reminds me of a divine intervention deck that I played against recently. I was using a proliferate deck, so I could keep the game going indefinitely, which was quite amusing. This work in an opposite direction, so proliferate and Guilder Barne can work for you.

Well folks, pre-release of RtR is after us. How did it go? I myself did pretty poorly, so the Swarm is not very proud of me. However I was the luckiest guy card-price wise. Isperia, Sphinx's Revelation, Jace and Loleth Troll. And how did it go for you?

• 3 weeks later...

And here we have another new product announced. It will be called "Modern Masters".

A short run booster pack set of cards from 8th Edition to Alara Reborn. 229 card set. 53 rares, 15 mythics, draftable. No basic lands...instead you will get a foil card. No cards from Modern ban list. And the first preview card?

Tarmogoyf as Mythic with new art and modern card frame, oh joy.

And here we have some more info about Commander's Arsenal. Or more importantly, it's contents.

I myself have mixed feelings. On one side I am happy with all of the old and really powerful cards (Rhystic Study? Mirari's Wake?! They insane!). On the other - Kalia? Mimeoplasm? Vela? Really Wizards :roll: ? How long was since they were introduced? Few months, last year? And the old buddies that really could use a reprint are oversized cards instead! Oh, and the product is overpriced.

Oh, and the product is overpriced.

It has Loyal Retainers, and thus is not overpriced. That card is well over $100 by itself. I've seen some pre-orders for $300. It may be hard to get your hands on one for just $75. Shame on any stores that gouge, but it is likely I am afraid. But no shame to wizards for printing an exciting product at a good price.

On the other - Kalia? Mimeoplasm? Vela? Really Wizards :roll: ? How long was since they were introduced? Few months, last year?

Well the commander decks aren't easy to find at $35. Heavenly Inferno (Kalia) is going for $85+, and the Counterpunch (mimeoplasm) is going for $90+ because it has scavenging ooze. If those were crazy popular, i'm sure there are people who are sad to have missed the boat, and will be happy to pick them up this time around.

And the old buddies that really could use a reprint are oversized cards instead!

Which ones do you wish were small? Acording to the article, the sliver queen and karn HAD to be big, because they are on the reserve list. If I bought this, I was be sad that Brion was big, and then I would buy him for $0.50 and get over it. I haven't built a Brion commander deck yet, but have been going over its pieces in my mind for years.

My biggest bone to pick with it is Rhistic study. I HATE that card. It is completely overpowered in multiplayer.

It has Loyal Retainers, and thus is not overpriced. That card is well over $100 by itself. I've seen some pre-orders for $300. It may be hard to get your hands on one for just $75. Shame on any stores that gouge, but it is likely I am afraid. But no shame to wizards for printing an exciting product at a good price.

Right, forgot about Retainers. But it also mean that no mortal men will be able to buy it before it runs out.

Well the commander decks aren't easy to find at $35. Heavenly Inferno (Kalia) is going for $85+, and the Counterpunch (mimeoplasm) is going for $90+ because it has scavenging ooze. If those were crazy popular, i'm sure there are people who are sad to have missed the boat, and will be happy to pick them up this time around.

They not bad commanders, and I will never say that. Hovewer one can wonder if their decks are popular cose of them, or because of their other contents? I am also not saying that they should not be reprinted, my only complain is that they did it too soon.

My biggest bone to pick with it is Rhistic study. I HATE that card. It is completely overpowered in multiplayer.

And I LOVE that card but it's resurfacing worries me a little bit. Giving everyone a nuke does not solve a problem. Personaly I would prefer Future Sight instead. That and Stanstill can change balance of power.

I saw the newest set out last week! Return to Ravnica! *giddy* I wish I had the money to afford any deck involving white they had....or that fatpack. :( I'm eager to play again (so is my husband, but only because he keeps winning and has Karn as a planeswalker...lucky....)

I saw the newest set out last week! Return to Ravnica! *giddy* I wish I had the money to afford any deck involving white they had....or that fatpack. :( I'm eager to play again (so is my husband, but only because he keeps winning and has Karn as a planeswalker...lucky....)

There are plenty of fun and powerful decks that you can build if you buy the cards as singles rather than in booster packs. It just takes a bit of advance preparation. Also, try Oblivion Ring as white's answer to planeswalkers.

• 3 weeks later...

And finaly we know name of third set of Ravnica block. And it's name is

1101_wpeiq8ci36.jpg

That proves it. Mizzet is star of the block (unless the set get ninja'd by Bolas).

Is it just me or does the name of the set sounds like a board game?

The set name is indeed silly, and the expansion symbol is worse. But I am still looking forward to it.

Not as much as I am looking forward to Gatecrash though. Boros is my favorite colour pairing, and that guild got a terrible keyword the first time around.

And here we have first 'leaks' of Gatecrash. And what interesting spolier it is!

Domri Rade - New Planeswalker in town and strong he is! And I was yearning for Sarkhan Vol reprint. First of, only 3 CMC makes him great. But his first ability! Draw! In green and red! Of course it is situational but that's understandable. His second, creature removal is not so hot. It's good to have but on clear board it does nothing. And that ultimate...sometimes the simplicity is the best solution.

Borborygmos Enraged - For now, disappointing. 8 CMC is heavy price, although it may be bearable in green. Enter trigger is risky, especially since this set has Dimir, and we all know that 'Dimir mills business'. And who will keep lands in his hand? Maybe Grull will have some land-searching mechanics but for now he is weakest from all guild leaders.

Aurelia, the Warleader - She cost one mana too much and thus I can't be impressed by her, especially since I saw Gisela. Boros is fastest colour combination for Urza sake! Of course there is no reason to not play both. She desperately needs first strike from some source.

Hellkite Tyrant - Holy guacamole! Now that's alternative win condition I can like! 6/5 flying trampler is already fair for 6 CMC, but stealing artifices seals the deal! Affinity got brown pants right now.

Enter the Infinite- This card was made for one reason only - Omniscience. I can't recall any other card combo that says "I Win." just like that. Let's skip the fact of how dubious is chance of pulling it off. But the feeling will be priceless.

Fun stuff.

The planeswalker is so me. I always have a GR deck with 4 or fewer spells.

I disagree with your analysis of Aurelia. She is more powerful than you seem to think. Firstly, haste effectively lowers her cost by one as well as limiting the time people have to deal with her first assault (including leaving 4 power in flying creatures back to block). Also, her ability works best if you already have a full board. I don't feel the need to power her out before I've had a few turns to get some attackers down. She looks like lots of fun and should make a splash in limited as well as casual games. Are you judging her solely on her ability to change tournament constructed formats?

While I like the connection between Enter the Infinite and Omniscience, Enter the Infinite has WAY more possibility than just Omniscience. It is completely open ended in how you win and what the flavor of the victory is. Why require the inclusion of both cards when the former is roughly the same cost, and with a little creative deck building, you can win without needing to cast tons of stuff. Sure, putting your entire deck into play is one way to go, but think of all the other ways we can flex our creative muscles!

Laboratory Maniac!

Seismic Assault!

Firestorm (will 20+ kobalds, ornithopters etc to give you extra targets)!

Or heck, imagine this scenario:

Turn after it resolves, draw your last card, cast a jokulhaups, a Tormod's crypt, and a One with Nothing, then sacrifice the crypt. Now you have no cards in play, no cards in your hand, no cards in your library, and no cards in your graveyard! Your entire magic existence has truly become one with nothing! Imagine the looks on your opponent's faces!

Wow my Johnny blood is pumping!

• 1 month later...

And once again some 'fresh' cards. We have four new cards, with three of them revealed by Wizards once every Christmas day.

And they have some meat, since they all contain a guilds mechanics.

First, the Simic who present us Simic Fluxmage and Fathom Mage.

I confess, I like evolve. It's just simple and yet, can be very effective. Even smallest of creatures can grow to Baloth size.

From Grull we got Rubblehulk with Bloodrush. I saw much complains about their mechanic but personally I think it is very solid. A uncouterable pump can't be bad. It reminds me of Kamigawa Channel heavily.

With showing of Boros Firemane Avenger I only said 'Wow!". This card - by showing me mechanic of Boros Legion - made me completely re-evaluate Aurelia.

Who can say no to free Lightning Helixes? (or smaller equivalents I presume, in the future). This mean that Boros will need vigilance very, very much.

• 4 weeks later...

And so, we have complete Gatecrash spoiler. For those lazy, it can be found here.

Any thoughs? Opinions?

For now I will say, that Simic is my guild at this set pre-realese.

Pre-release is after us. I myself chose Simic. And this time I actually managed too won! Probably because I got best sealed box ever. Among them, three foils(not counting promo card) and two of them was within colours! All of my bombs - bar two - got into my deck.

But it wasn't easy in any way - beating 42 people was no easy feat, especially if 1/3 of them know your playing habits. Suprisingly I had no problem with the Boros deck in the finals. It was Dimir mill tactics and Orzhov deck (which landed third and fourth respectively) which gave me trouble. I will post my deck list when I will get in touch with organizers.

Congrats Ciraxis! I'd been looking forward to the pre-release fro months, but went on vacation this week, and wasn't willing to leave my family for 6+ hours to play in a city where I knew nobody.

Boros not being strong in a draft isn't really surprising. Most of the good Boros bombs are rare or mythic, and require multiple copies of each one to really shine as a deck. Standard is where you are going to see Boros really come into its own.

As a general rule, I disagree. I have gotten to the finals in many drafts with boros. I have not played boros in GTC yet though. It is surprising that it sucks.

Also, a fun blog post: CLICKY

Archived