[Open]A Monarch's Vision

SirShadowdeath

Devastation wandered the darkened halls of the manor, one thought racing through his corrupted mind. Where did the time go? It had been so long since he had conquered land...conquered anything. In his red eyes, he had a vision. A vision to one day spread his dark, corrupted rule past the defenses of Canterlot...onto the rest of Equestria. But even the Monarch of Madness knew this. In fact, he realized quite well that it would take more than a single battle or even for his power to spread. And so, the monarch returned to the throne room. He ordered his men to post signs across Equestria, as far as they could travel. Each sign, written in black ink and on papyrus, read:

"Soldiers, Adveturers, Seekers of the Unknown...

I hereby call all of ye to a meeting in the throne room of Madness Manor, a short while from the kingdom known as Canterlot. Bring ye swords, ye daggers, and ye most magical spells. Knowledge, Power, Wealth, and Adventure can be promised.

Sincerely,

The Monarch of Madness"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A purple pegasus made his way around the corner of a relatively quiet road in Canterlot. While he would much rather be streaking across the sky getting around quickly and showing off his hard earned speed, there werent many pegasi in Canterlot and flying would draw in onlookers. He wouldnt normally even be in Canterlot amongst the high class but he was visiting his Fillyfriend Felicity for the weekend. He looked around for something to entertain him in his boredom and came upon a peculiar sign. "Soldiers...adventurers...Madness manor...Swords and daggers...Adventure!" Crescent Blaze smiled inwardly it had been a long time since he had a chance to show off his combat skills. Though flying was what he strove to excel at Combat with most any weapon was his true special talent and the promise of showcasing himself in addition do a prize of somesort was virtually irresistible to the ambitious young stallion. He took off at full speed towards his home in cloudsdale, leaving nearby ponies dumbfounded by his sudden explosive launch. "Just a quick trip to pick up the family sword and i'll be on my way."

All the while, Devastation paced in his darkened thrown room. The dark, somewhat narrow hall was lit only by torches whose flames had been subsituted with red, eerie auras. The monarch adjusted his crown accordingly, waiting and hoping for one to come. Was there no one whose mind craved this? The thought wondered through his mind.

"KilWern," he called to a servant, "Fetch me some ancient literatures! I have time to kill!"

He chuckled and smiled a bit at the fact that he was able to mention the word "Kill".

Crescent reached his apartment in cloudsdale in practically no time at all. Reaching under his bed he pulled out the long lacquered wood case that held his family' s airloom sword. An ancient falchion, impervious to all but the strongest of magics, and said to have been forged from steel that fell from the sky. He strapped on his sword flog and attached his sword and sheath. then set off for this Madness Manor. Crescent had never heard of the place but the Parchment had shown a map location, and in no time he was navigating his way to the premises. Upon arrival Crescent started to think that it might have been a mistake coming here. Dark stone walls that shone like glass reflected his own stoic image back to him as he walked towards the huge double doors and knocked.

Knocking! Haha! Someone had arrived! Devastation spared his servants and took to the door himself. He opened the great door inward. Now, the sight of the monarch must have been terrifying at first glance. Devastation had barely tinted, starch white bones which outlined the muscular body of his once live griffon body. His spiky, tattered wings rose from his body, giving him an intimidating, regal look. The black crown and cape he wore cattered to the look even more. With his empty, red eyes focused on the pony before him, he began to talk.

"Welcome ye adventurer of reasons unknown! Welcome to my adobe. Come, join me in ze halls of meeting and such. Follow me, I shall lead the way."

His beating red eyes glowed in the dim light of the manor. His overall appearance definately set the eerie mood of the kingdom.

"And please, pony, explain to me who ye are and such on ze way. Follow me then, let's get to it," Devastation added in with a grim smile.

"This was definitely a mistake. Well I came here for a reason, no sense in backing out now." Crescent thought to himself. Truthfully When the Skeletal Griffin had thrown the doors open Crescent didnt show any sign of fear or remorse as per usual, but on the inside he nearly shrank away in horror. He had never seen a creature such as this, this...thing what may have once been a griffin, looked more suited to be hanging behind the gates of tartarus than living in an obsidian mansion mere miles from the Equestrian capitol. Crescent recomposed himself, he wouldnt let the situation get to him. His combat was swift and his focus was honed sharper than any blade. Crescent followed Devastation through the doors, cautiously surveying for traps and possible ambush points. He didnt like this situation at all, he shouldnt have come alone. "My Name is Crescent Blaze I'm a stunt flier in cloudsdale and I also practice proficiency in combat, it runs in the family. I guess you are this Monarch of Madness the flier mentioned. I have to admit I've never heard of you."

The griffin turned himself around, keeping his composure, yet continuing to walk backwards.

"Now I wouldn't be too surprised then, you see. I, The Monarch of Madness as you correctly presume, usually keeps to himself and his kingdom. Zis is my kingdom, of course. Now, you're probably thinking I'm a creature of hell, aren't you?" Devastation chuckled. "A common thought by mortal pony. And you're probably regretting coming. Another common thought, at least from what I can observe! You must be brave however to have the will to stay. That's something I can respect quite dearly, Crescent."

A grim, wicked smile crossed his face.

"Hoooooweeeeeveeerrrr! You seem like one who likes adventure, correct? Well! Talk with me my friend! I'm sure an adventure is what we can find for you and me and any other at hand...!"

His wings fluttered a bit as he spoke, and his red eyes glared through the darkness.

(OOC: Queue the musical number, right? Lol)

Lucky had been traveling for awhile now and had seen the paper advertising wealth and power.

"that's something my family could need right?" he kept saying that as he dragged himself toward the creepy manor as he stepped on to the doorstep he talked to himself "i just know some creepy pony is going to open the door and invite me in and sooner or later i'm going to end up dinner." the grass green unicorn took off his fedora to straighten his carrot orange hair "can't look messy while i'm about to die now do i." he put his fedora back on and knocked on the door, surely he was overeating right?

A smile crossed Devastation's face. Another one had come. He told Crescent to wait while he trotted over to answer the door. The doors slamme open, leaving a clear view of the undead griffon illuminating in the eerie darkness. He red eyes focused on the pony at the door as he spoke.

"Welcome, welcome! I am Devastation, ze Monarch of Madness. Please, come in. Another pony has already assembled in my hall as well. Join us, would you?"

His wicked smile turned to a maniacal grin as he spoke.

nope not overacting Lucky thought as he walked in to the bony griffons home to see another was already here well Lucky thought at least i'm not the only one that will probably be eaten

"would you like to eat me with steak sauce or ketchup?" Lucky asked sarcastically then regretting it instantly mostly fearful that he might be answered.

"Hot Sauce Actually," The Monarch replied with a laugh and a joking tone.

"Why do you ask? I'm not one for eating ponies....Anymore..." he joked on.

"Would you like me to eat you? Is zat it? Because I'd never even think about it without permission," Devastation said with a grim smile.

"good glad you have a sense of humor, we will talk about the eating pony's thing another time." Lucky walked on quickly hopeing the imposing Griffon did not suddenly want to eat him at any point. "now your flyer offered wealth and power but said nothing about the job itself so if you could elaborate that would raise the probability of me signing on." the unicorn said matter-o-factly

"Well, of course...but I cannot just explain it to you alone, you see. Please follow me. Before I explain I would like you to meet the other pony. Is that fair? Please, feel free to tell me about yourself on ze way to the Hall," Devastation replied to the pony.

"And yes...my promises are all true...but the risks might be high," he added with a small smile.

Crescent had been unnerved by the Skeleton's uncanny ability to read him like an open book. Ponies usually commented on how he was able to keep himself well composed in tight situations. His walking backwards without breaking eye contact made him nervous again, he felt as if he was being lured He tried to shrug off the embarrassment. Whatever this Monarch's intentions they didnt seem to have turned malevolent quite yet. Never the less his hoof flew to his sword hilt as there was more knocking, more of a resounding boom in the echoing castle. Upon seeing it was a normal pony he was a bit relieved. At least he wasnt alone anymore. He litsened to them converse about eating ponies and stiffened at the mention of the subject. As the two made their way back to him he called out,

"So what exactly are we supposed to do here? Is there like a competition or something? Or do you have something for us to do?

BlackHoof turned to his flight advisor, "Um, so I pull this lever to bring the balloon down right?" Without an answer he pushed down the lever with all his might, thats when things went down, literally. "Nooo! Not so hard you'll kill us both! Im outta here, this is you're problem!" And with that the old pony flew off with his odd dust covered wings, the earth pony stared dumbfounded "Hey get back here ol- Oh boy..." This was the last thing he shouted before crashing right into the roof of the madness manor roof.

Wilden looked at the parchment with suspicion; he didn't trust in any "quest for glory," but it could have been his only hope for a cure of his sister's sickness, which was noticably getting worse. She was asleep at the moment, with her illness it was one of the few things she could do, Wilden began noticing that even walking was hurting her. He had plenty of food ready for her, enough to last a week at the least, but he had to return fast, with or without the cure.

Wilden never let up, he ran as fast as his paws and legs could carry him, but he was only keeping himself from losing time, by avoiding the commonly used roads and shortcuts he was wasting any extra time he had.

After two days of exhausting himself running, he made it to the manor in time to watch a large baloon crash into the roof.

He let himself in.

So many had gathered! Oh, the self irony of it all! The monarch calls a few and a small army gathers before him! Whether by fate or chance alone, it is all working out.

"To all!" the dead griffon announced. "To ye all! Listen up, ye brave, ye adventuring, ye bewildered and woven!"

The monarch cleared his throat and smiled wickedly yet again.

"Many have gathered today! Many have seen the whim of the castle itself! But...I grow weary. Even immortality does me into the abyss of life and death...," Devastation started. "That is why I, ze Monarch Devastation, is declaring a competition of ye will! Under my very castle, there is a system of controlled caves...ye hear? Zese caves! Yes, the very caves! A sunken colliseum lies below! Oh, the ruined glory! The anguish! The fear~! Ye all have come in search of one or ze next, and I shall keep my own, but first, ze games! Ze games!"

His broken mind began to drift.

"All of ye assembled shall enter ze games! Monsters! Beasts! They assemble in ze caverns! Now, ze ruins...ze ruins...yes indeed...ze ruins! Aha~! A game of gladiator, why not? Why not indeed for one or ze other? But not for each other! No! Ye all must stay alive! No killing each other! No! No! Ye must slay ze beasts! Slay ze vile demons! Slay them with might! With wisdom! With courage! Zen we shall assemble again!"

Devastation raised his claw to the air.

"Ze air is tense! Ze fear is great! All! Follow me! Ze trials await! Await thier fear! Yeselves! Aha~!"

(OOC: Of course Sev, why not?

Also, this post was extremely fun to right.)

"Why the rewards? Oh, of course! Ha ha!" the Griffon chuckled at the new pony. "I promise to ye wealth...gold indeed...gems of sorts...gems of variety...OF GREAT WEALTH! But not just zat! No! Not at all! Aha! Yes! I promise to ye as well...a plot of land...land obtained but not needed...and it is of no demonic origin! No no! The land! The mighty land! 250 Acres of beautiful plains to ze far west of Ponyville! Aha! I have a surplus! A surplus indeed! But I cannot just give it to ANYPONY! No! I must distribute! Test~! Let them redeem themselves!"

The monarch broke out laughing.

"I do not lie! No! Not a bit! Not a tad! Trust is inveined within my stale bones! Ha ha! Aha! Trussssst me! Ze only risk is yours to take!"

Lucky laughed at his employers Antics

"for a dead stiff your alright. Ok i'll play" he said as he levitated a pack of cards a seemingly normal pack of cards into the air "now im more of the cheat you and run type but i know how to handle myself." he said as he got the cards out of the leather case they resided in and rotated them around him. "i can give a mean paper cut or so you think..." Lucky said mystically as he propelled three cards at high speeds at the wall they to everyone's surprise they stuck to the wall a silver gleam now very evident Lucky smiled "hope you did not think i was serious." he levitated them back to him "these are my little friends specially made by a pro blacksmith made up of stainless steel with razor sharp tips and with a special paint that does not fade to make them look like a real deck. They are my lucky deck i use it in." he smiled at the griffion

MEANWHILE...

Draco had slipped in quietly and had listened to all that happened he needed more bits to travel on so they would not ridicule him the Pegasus decided to make himself known to the the griffon he walked up and introduced himself

"h-h-hello sir m-my n-name is Draco and i am here to offer my services i not really a fighter but i'm fast and some pegasai would say i'm usually stronger than normal so i hope i can be of service." he said with a bow his cloaked figure bowing low before the griffon.

(the cloak is hiding something his unusual side so if somepony were to de-cloak him....)

The griffon smiled, finding himself happy for two reasons. One was this pony, Lucky his name was...he was so sure of himself...Surely he would...survive! Secondly, Devastation found himself staring at the newcomer quite intensely. He cocked his head, observing the robe as if he could see through it.

"You there...newcomer...you're hiding something aren't you? Zat robe...Yes! Indeed that robe! You're hiding something...Oh! Secrets! Gah~! i hate secrets! But I am not one to take all! Oh no! Not at all! Please, Newcomer, please! Entertain me! Who might you be to march in here, hmm! An adventurer? A warrior? A deformity?"

He laughed wickedly at the last word he had said.

"What ye are?" The griffon laughed. "And what ARE ye? Certainly no pony...You're hiding something Draco, humble traveler...you're living beneath a web...of lies! Haha! Do not lie to me, Ze Monarch! And why do you come....Deformity?"

He emphasized the last word again, chuckling at the odd pony's cringing. Devastation was said to be somewhat clairvoyent, and in times like this, he relied on instinct to dominate others.

Crescent spoke up for the first time in a while feeling the need to speak. Everything going on had been such a spectacle that he had been content to just wait and watch. When the wolf entered Crescent though he was the only one who noticed and took on a higher guard but it appeared the creature was but another guest. But this new pony something was clearly off he could tell the moment he saw him, Crescent had a bit off sixth sense when it came to ponies keeping secret from him, and Crescent didnt like things being kept from him. His suspicions were confirmed with Devastation's comment. His impulsiveness took hold of him and he flitted over to the robed pony and looked him square in the eye with his tell me the truth or i'll knock your block off gaze.

"Your clearly saying you arent what you appear to be. We all know it now, so there is no reason to hide it. Besides If you dont show us then how do I know your trustworthy enough to work with?"

He put a hoof on his sword to emphasize the seriousness of his accusation