What about the stars? - Nightmare Moon's release discussion

So, found this photo on Ponibooru some time ago. I've posted it in the chat as well. So, the question is, what exactly DO the stars represent? Are they ponies? Magical alignment? Celestia? Fantastic Four? Er... :?

2040%20-%20applejack%20comic%20fluttershy%20mysteries_of_equestria%20Nightmare_Moon%20pinkie_pie%20rainbow_dash%20rarity%20theory%20twilight_sparkle.jpg

And a timestamp to where Twilight begins reading the legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yTkic56gD8#t=3m49s

hi hi

Thats a tough one. A lot of things in Equestria sparkle so it is hard to pull out a specific theme. Maybe everything has its essence represented by a star somewhere? Or perhaps the four stars were just whatever elements (opposite of harmony) that nightmare moon was using, that had been scattered to the four corners when she was defeated the first time.

Thats a tough one. A lot of things in Equestria sparkle so it is hard to pull out a specific theme. Maybe everything has its essence represented by a star somewhere? Or perhaps the four stars were just whatever elements (opposite of harmony) that nightmare moon was using, that had been scattered to the four corners when she was defeated the first time.

I'm kind of hoping that the four stars will become a plot hook in later episodes; stopping the ruinous powers that unleashed Nightmare Moon upon Equestria.

I got the guilty pony right here:

whodunit.jpg

LOL AWESOME.

My theory is that it was some ponies who unwittingly did it. Celestia, being one, who knew full well what was going to happen. Trixie, who has a crescent moon as part of her Cutie Mark. Twilight Sparkle, who for some reason Celestia has found favor with, and who carries the element of magic, which can be both good and evil.

The last one, I am at a loss.