Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

My parents have no clue about me being a brony, unless my little bro told them... If and when they find out, it'll probably go about as well as them finding out I like furries. With them freaking out and trying to reprogram me with a psychologist. I actually plan on telling them soon, since I'm going to try to go to bronycon this summer when I go home. Here's hoping they're a little more accepting and open to internet culture this time around. Lol.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my parents know, but i can't be sure. I barely leave my room when i'm at home, and i have pony songs playing, so i'm sure they've picked up on it.

Still, they don't bring it up, kinda like they have no idea how to talk to me about it or something. I'm lucky in that regard, my partents don't really care what happens in my room, as long as i'm alive and kicking.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents? My whole family knows. My best friends know. My worst enemies know. I see no need to keep it a secret.

My parents are very accepting of my interests, and because I'm a huge fanboy of other things anyway, willingly accept what I am. Hell, they even get me brony merchandise (like an MLP calendar and brony shirts).

My uncle is a brony, but as far as I know, he's the only one. The rest of my family is accepting too. In fact, my Nana actually got me a pair o' Rainbow Dash style headphones for X-mas, along with a Lyra shirt.

My friends are either bronies themselves, or just don't bother to care... mostly the former.

And... well, I don't actually have any official enemies due to social awkwardness making it difficult to meet enemies to make anyway.

I'm one of the luckier weirdo bronies, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't. And then I wanted to go to TrotCon since it was relatively close and I figured "Why not." So I told my mum that I wanted to go. She was initially "lolwut"-y about it, but she didn't really mind. Then she told my dad, who told my brother, both of whom were told when I was gone. I come home, and my brother gives me **** about it, my dad gives me a little **** about it, and mum still kinda doesn't care.

Fast forward to recently, and dad got me a Nazghoul pony shirt. He still will occasionally give a passing poke at it, but nothing much. Brother never brings it up whenever we hang out, either because he forgot or he stopped caring, I have yet to find out which. And my mum is still cool with it.

tl;dr, Yes. They don't care.

They think its weird I like ponies but my boyfriend's parents don't care. My parents don't make fun of me, disown me or anything- they simply think I like weird things haha. My little sister thinks its weird too and told me some boys at her school like ponies as well. Oh well, I like what I like.

My parents know it for months now. They don't mind it at all, since they've seen me watch other "girly" shows in the past. They're not bronies at all, though they have watched the show and said it was "not half bad."

My obnoxious little brother uses it to tease me. Oh well, he's growing tired of it and you know what they say; love and tolerate.

• 3 weeks later...

My parents know I watch the show but don't really know the extent to which I am a fan. Nor do they know about the fandom in general.

My younger sister is a bit more aware of how much of a fan I am. She's picked at me a little.

Well, my dad doesn't like bronies at all because he thinks that its not right for a boy to watch or/and like ponies. Unlike my mum.... she has no idea what MLP or a brony is. :)

Well, as John Stuart Mill said, "We tend to accept whatever is usual as natural." Because someone thinks something else is "girly", doesn't mean that the opposite gender can't watch it. There's no limit on what is "feminine" or "masculine".

Got it from this. Show this to your parents, and maybe they'll understand.

I told my parents yesterday and my mum was like let her be a kid and my dad was just like wow... but there okay with it so win win!

My pearnts know now my mum asks me wired question but my dad doesn't care and my sister found out when she seen the forum open and all she said was

My sister:well this is awkward

Me:so you wanna give it a chance

My sister:*glares* your something else

Reason she said that was cause before I found out about my little pony I still liked rainbows and unicorns yea people say wired for a 13 years old kid but I'm wireder

Well I had a crummy Christmas with my mum's side of the family. Got chewed out for loading my cousin C's suggestions on FB with pony accounts and pony lovers. Was told it wasn't right and other things... :(

• 1 month later...

My parents don't know. I know my mum would be fine with it, but I have no idea about my father. My sister actually loves unicorns so I showed her the "BBBFF" clip that Twilight sung. She loved it a lot and started to watch the first episode with me, but we had to go and haven't had time to watch any more. I know she will like it though, at least I have hope. Oddly enough I have two groups of friends, one knows and loves MLP, but the other feels it is weird. Go figure eh?

My parents know, and to them it's not a big deal. This is just "jane's thing" right now (in the past it's been the Sims 2, Webkinz and Harry Potter, so they're almost used to me obsessing over something. Actually, for my birthday and for Christmas (they're both at around the same time for me) they tried to buy me pony things. Dad succeeded - he got me a Twilight Sparkle duvet cover and a phone case with the mane six on it. mum, on the other hand, got me a Generation 3 Sweetie Belle figurine. Oh well, at least she tried. :P

My parents know, and to them it's not a big deal. This is just "jane's thing" right now (in the past it's been the Sims 2, Webkinz and Harry Potter, so they're almost used to me obsessing over something. Actually, for my birthday and for Christmas (they're both at around the same time for me) they tried to buy me pony things. Dad succeeded - he got me a Twilight Sparkle duvet cover and a phone case with the mane six on it. mum, on the other hand, got me a Generation 3 Sweetie Belle figurine. Oh well, at least she tried. :razz:

Wow Jane, that last part is pretty funny. 'A' for the effort, right? Lol. Anyway, new development for me as far as me being a brony and my family is concerned. I went over there last night wearing my Dr. Whooves t-shirt. The older of my two little brothers knew what was going on, but was a little surprised that I actually had a pony shirt. He doesn't dislike the fandom or the show. He actually enjoys them and wants a shirt of his own with Derpy on it. My younger little brother didn't pay it any mind. Now my little sister on the other hand, she loved it. The first thing she said when she saw me was "Hey is that a little pony shirt? I like it!" Both of my parents were standing right there when it happened. I think my dad was actually going to ask about it before my little sister said something. After she did, I think both of my parents just let it go and are indifferent to the whole MLP thing. I spent hours with them that night and they never questioned the shirt. They also haven't questioned any of my music which has notable pony influence to it, so yeah! :)

• 5 weeks later...

I've never really taken much care in hiding the fact I was a fan of the show, I never saw shame in it. It's just a television show after all, I was actually quite excited the first time I watched it and told everybody I knew to check it out, many a man was converted that day. Since then I got into drawing fan art, which I keep open in my room as well as the few Blind bag ponies I've accrued on my desk, I've not been questioned about them. I even asked my Dad to watch it once, he wasn't a fan but didn't seem to mind me watching it.

I told my dad after a month of being a brony. To my surprise he started the first episode, and said that he was relieved. He thought I liked the earlier gens and was worried. It kind of discomforts my mum, much to my amusement. Overall though, my parents are very accepting of it, and even got me some brony equipment for Christmas; a wallet, a shirt, a hat, and two buttons!

Not mine, they have no idea. Even if it does, I usually respond to them as I'm talking about like a critic for every TV show I watch, presentation, character development, etc... Something like that animation, graphic design students would do back in their university times.

Archived