[Canterlot]A Night Under the Stars, (xIceStormX, MyLittlePonyTales, PM to Join)

IceStorm

[colour=#000080]”Oh! Well—I—uh... thank you.” Luna didn't really consider herself inspirational, at least not of late. At one time, more than a thousand years ago, she was as revered as Celestia was today, though she may not have gotten the attention she believed she deserved. But due to recent events, she didn't expect anypony to look up to her, at least not for a century or more, when everything had blown over. She blushed, unsure of how to respond to such heartfelt words. “But it's not really any trouble. There's still not a lot to do in the night hours where socializing is concerned.”

“You're-you're both really too kind. I don't really deserve such praises.” Luna wasn't one to think highly of herself, considering her previous actions. It was slightly difficult to figure out why anypony would care so much about her, although this wasn't the first time she'd been complimented so nicely. “W-well of course, I would love to! It would be grand to call you both my friends.”[/colour]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[colour=#000080]Ice nodded as Fire Walker apologized and thanked her for her comments about her mother. that she wasn't trying to upset her if she had accidentally done so. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"It's not your fault, there's no way that you could have known about it. At least your mother was there for you, and you have that to cherish and hold on to,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told Fire with a smile. Sure things hadn't gone exactly the way that she had planned in her lifetime so far, but here in front of her was the princess with the largest burden of everypony to carry, and she still moves forward. It was the primary reason Ice had so much respect for her. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]She then listened to Luna react to the praise. It was obvious that she wasn't used to receiving these kinds of compliments. She told them that they were much to kind and that she would be honored to call both of them her friends. Ice's eyes went wide with shock and excitement, and then did what any friend would do. She knew that Luna was a princess, but her logical though and the voice in her head that was telling her this could be a bad idea had been silenced by the word friend and she walked over and attempted to give Luna a hug. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"You deserve just as much praise, if not more so than your sister. Dealing with everything you've had to deal with, and still finding the strength to pull forward and make amends. Like I said, there for a while, your night sky was the only thing that gave me hope. Because I knew that if you could pull through what happened to you, than I could pull through anything that could possibly happen to me. It is of the highest honor that I can think of, to have you as a friend, Princess Luna,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her releasing the hug hoping that she hadn't overstepped anything. The voice telling her that it could have been a bad idea now very much loud and clear in her mind. All she could hope for is that the princess wouldn't be offended from a hug. [/colour]

for a moment, Fire Heart wondered if she did the right thing asking Luna if she wanted to be friends with her. Was it silly to think that a royal Princess who interacted with many ponies per day would form such a bond with a nromal pony like her? She also was worried that Princess Luna would see it as a bribe. She surmized that there were ponies who would act like friends only to get something out of it like power or prestiege. But Fire wanted none of that, just to be a source of comfort and support to the princess. After all, every pony needed a friend no matter who they were.

But thankfully, Luna accepted her request. She seemed overwhelmed though by the fact that Fire and Ice were so caring about her. It was sad to see the Princess almost see friendship and love as foreign concepts or that she somehow didn't deserve these as much as other ponies did.

[colour=#FF0000]"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! And honestly, everypony deserves a friend, even Princesses."[/colour]

Fire then was happy that Ice Storm was not upset mentioning her mother.

[colour=#FF0000]"I'm glad you're not upset. I don't want to make ponies feel that way. My fir ability is a little creepy enough to some ponies."[/colour]

(OOC Hey let's get to the cafe. Luna doesn't know where it is. : P)

[colour=#000080]Luna let out a squeak as Ice Storm enveloped her in her hooves. Appreciation, she could get used to, but the physical aspect of adoration was still one that might take awhile to get used to. It wasn't always acceptable to be greeted with a hoof shake or a hug, but more so a bow and a peace offering. But times surely had changed, and Luna knew she had to do her best to “roll with it.”

Luna did, in fact, find it comforting to have somepony so close. At first, she had to suppress the urge to immediately push the blue pony away. It felt almost unnatural, for her at least, to be in such closeness with somepony that wasn't a relation. It took her a moment to realize that everything was alright, and the embrace was nothing to be cautious of.

But seemingly all too soon, it was over, and Luna could just stand for a moment as the pony's touch faded. “Th-thank you.” she stammered, both for the hug and the encouraging words. It was a bit shocking that anypony would feel that comfortable around her now.

Then she turned to Fire Heart. “I suppose they do.” she swallowed to calm herself before smiling at the pair. She had already made a few friends, both in Canterlot and in Ponyville, but it hadn't yet ceased to surprise her when somepony else wanted to befriend her. The feeling was nice, and it offered more opportunities to learn about modern Equestria.[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000080](Works for me, Fire lead us there, Ice has no idea where it's at either.)[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"You're more than welcome Princess. I meant every word," [/colour][colour=#000080]Ice told her in a soft, friendly voice. What made her happy was the fact that she didn't reject the hug and didn't become offended by it. She was a princess after all, and only after the fact that she had done so had Ice realized what she had done. It made her feel even more at ease around Luna knowing that it would take a great deal to make her snap. Something that she was determined to not let happen. Luna was her friend, and she would do anything for her, including if anything should ever happen like that again, which she prayed to Celestia it wouldn't, but if Luna ever got sent back to the moon, I would very happily, do everything in her power to go with her. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice could only nod in agreement though when Fire addressed the fact that everyone deserved a friend. Especially Luna, in Ice's opinion. So many ponies fail to realize how truly inspirational she actually is because of being able to bounce back from complete and total abandonment and still be able to hold her poise and prowess. It was truly remarkable. Ice frowned a bit when fire added that some ponies get creeped out by her fire abilities though. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Now that's just silly. Anyone who finds the talent of another to be creepy, and avoids them solely because of it isn't being very respectful. That being said though, while it's starting to become the perfect temperature for me outside, I can imagine that it's getting quite cool for you and possibly for the princess. Are there any short-cuts that wecan take from here to get to where this shop is?"[/colour][colour=#000080] she asked politely.[/colour]

(Alright then. Onward to the cafe!)

Fire wondered how Luna would react to Ice Storm's sudden hug. This was especially true as the princess didn't seem to be around other ponies much, especially those who showered their affection to her the way that Fire and Ice just did. But thankfully the Princess accepted the hug and the words of encouragement from the two,

[colour=#FF0000]"You're welcome, Princess. When I ask somepony to be a friend, I definitely mean it."[/colour]

Fire thought about Ice Storm's comment about ponies being disrespectful with being scared of her magic.

[colour=#FF0000]"You're right, Ice. I shouldn't let it bother me like it does. I guess it's just that while I don't expect everypony to be my friend like you two are, I hope that they would at least tolerate me, including my magic."[/colour]

Upon hearing Ice's question as to where the Happy Bean Cafe was, Fire looked around to get her bearings on the street. This was especially true as the cool night air was starting to affect her, making her shiver as she walked. Looking over to the left, she smiled and chuckled a little. To her delight, the lights were still on indicating the cafe was still open. Fire also knew that the place stayed open until midnight, giving the three plenty of time to talk.

[colour=#FF0000]"Actually, we're here! I guess we were so busy getting to know each other that I didn't know how far we walked from the park."[/colour]

She opened the door with her magic and let Princess Luna and Ice Storm enter before she went in. The cafe was small, only able to hold about a dozen or so ponies comfortably at a time. There were several booths that lined the walls of the cafe and a few tables and chairs. The back of the store was a large counter that sold a number of drinks like coffee, tea, hot chocolate and hot cider. There were also several pastries displayed under the glass cases that flanked the counter. Tonight, other than the lone barrista pony there, there were no other ponies there prior to the trio entering.

[colour=#000080]Luna nodded and gave a small smile at Ice Storm's kind words. “You know, I'm sure Celestia didn't have the easiest time with things either.” While everypony may have adored her sister to the ends of Equestria, there was still no denying that she was having her own ordeal while Luna was imprisoned. Besides the fact that she'd banished some form of her sister, she suddenly had to rule the entire country—and sky—by herself. The world had literally been placed upon her shoulders. It would be difficult for anypony else to understand what either of them had gone through—the gift and curse of immortality.

“Ice Storm is right though.” Luna then turned to Fire Heart. “If fire is your special talent, nopony should look down on you because of that. Everypony has different gifts that help the world in some way. Surely you can't be faulted just because your skill has potential to be dangerous. It has just as much—no, more—potential to do good.” Her face was sincere, but serious.

By that time, they had reached the cafe. Luna shivered as she stepped inside, the warmth in the room crawling through her and chasing out the cold. She was relieved to find it nearly empty—all the better not to cause a scene. Anywhere she went she caused a ruckus, whether as 'Nightmare Moon' or simply because of the fact that she was recognized as a princess.

Luna paused just inside the doorway, glancing around at the tables and booths, and opting to let one of the other ponies lead the way as to where they should sit. She was still a bit surprised that the cafe actually was open, even though Fire Heart had assured her. Well, at least she knew a new place where she could stop by on a late night.

“Now, what was the question that brought us here?” she asked once they were settled.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice could see the amazement in Luna's eyes of the fact that the cafe was indeed still open. She thought back to the comment that Fire had said a few moments earlier that while she didn't expect everypony to be her friend, she hoped that she would be tolerated as well as her magic. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Ponies in general need to learn how to not judge others because of looks, magic, where they are from, or even past mistakes. Honestly, I've run into very few ponies in Canterlot that aren't extremely judgmental about everything and that's the exact reason why I moved away. Honestly the only respectable ponies that I've met in Canterlot thus far have been Starburst, Fleur, you, and you Princess," she said turning to the princess. She turned back to fire heard and put a hoof on her shoulder. "Don't be afraid to be who you are. You're a bright young mare, no pun intended, and I see you doing great things. Don't let anypony else sway you from that path,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her happily. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice padded over to one of the tables, figured it would be better so that they could each sit across from one another. That way everypony could see everypony else as they were talking. She then heard the princess ask what the question was that had brought them to the cafe. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I'm not one hundred percent certain, but if my memory serves me right, I thing it was Fire's question on what it was like to be a princess. A question of which, I to am curious to hear,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice responded.[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Thanks both of you," [/colour]Fire Heart said at Luna and Ice's encouraging words, [colour=#FF0000]"I'll definitely remember what you have said when things get me down. I know that I have the potential for great things. It's just a little upsetting when ponies think you're dangerous. Well, at least they don't run away or anything like that." [/colour]

Fire was about to answer Luna's question about the reason for their trek from the park when Ice responded. The filly guessed that the walk and conversation slipped the princess's mind for the journey.

[colour=#FF0000]"You read my mind, Ice. Yes, I was asking about what it's like being a princess. But first, do you two want something to drink? I have the craving for a hot chocolate."[/colour]

[colour=#000080]”Yes, well... the Canterlot ponies do get a bit big headed from time to time. It's not just the type of society they live in—Manehattan has that too. But anypony who lives here lives in the same city that the very rulers of Equestria share. The royal sisters' palace is but a short trot away. Something about feeling 'chosen', even though the city was built around the castle and not the other way around. But, we do have to reside somewhere. Unfortunately, it's made all those born and raised here a little more stuck up than is normal for a pony in their privileged position. Ah well, all Celestia and I can strive to do is treat everypony fairly, regardless of their walk of life.”

“Hot chocolate sounds wonderful.” The princess smiled. “Now, about being a princess... Oh, that's quite a vague question.” she tapped her chin with a hoof thoughtfully. “There are a lot of important meetings with diplomats and leaders and the like. When you've been around as my sister and I have, you might think you know it all—but ponies discover new things everyday, all the time. You might live forever and still not have all the answers, heh.” she paused. “Perhaps if you told me more specifically what you would like to know, I could answer more thoroughly. I am yours for the evening to answer all your questions. The both of you.”[/colour]

(Bleh, sorry. Short post)

[colour=#000080]Ice listened as Luna stated that the question that she had been asked was quite vague. That there were various meetings with important diplomats, that there was so much that she could expand on that it would actually require further questions so that she could accurately portray everything.That she was theirs for the night to answer whatever questions that they may have had. This humbled Ice. Then againLuna had done a lot of that tonight, so at this point it didn't really come as a surprise. How could anypony have disliked her at all? None of it made sense to Ice.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Hmm, well I guess for starters, What's it like at the castle? What do you do there?"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice asked. [/colour]

Fire was satisfied with Luna's response about how some ponies acted in Canterlot. The older filly knew that all too well growing up there. While most of the rich ponies acted no differently, there were some whose success inflated their egos and made them turn their noses up at others.

[colour=#FF0000]"Ok, one hot chocolate it is," [/colour]Fire said as she trotted away from the table and to the counter. Having paid for hers and the Princess's hot chocolate she returned with the two levitating in the air. She set one down in front of Luna and one near her place.

[colour=#FF0000]"Are you sure you don't want anything, Ice? They have cold things too like iced coffee if you're interested in that."[/colour]

While waiting for the response, she heard Luna request that her and Ice ask more spesific questions. The fact that the Princess was so open to questions was a very touching experience, one not lost on the red unicorn.

[colour=#FF0000]"Hmmm.... I guess the first thing I'd want to know is, how does it feel to have all that magical power? I know that you and your sister are powerful not just with your place in society but your magic as well. I mean, what unicorn can raise and lower the moon? So what's it like being able to do all that magic?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000080]”Well, the castle is pretty large. There's a reason the main entrance leads almost directly into the throne room. The castle in the Everfree Forest was a lot smaller—of course, the whole kingdom was, back then. So I've certainly done a bit of exploring, both of the castle and the city of Canterlot. I must admit, there were more than a few times I got lost. Thank goodness for teleportation spells.” Luna smiled, relieved, recalling all the times she'd actually had to zap herself back to her own chambers when she'd gotten turned around in the various twists and turns and rooms of Canterlot Castle.

I frequently keep to myself, though, researching the new culture and studying maps, as I mentioned before. Equestria has certainly expanded a lot in the past thousand years, though I suppose that's to be expected. It's... a bit odd, to watch the world grow around you, and then suddenly have your own life on pause while everything else continues to change.” she paused to take a long, slow sip of her drink, her eyes focused on the liquid in her cup as she became lost in thought.

But it didn't last long, as Fire Heart's question brought her back to the present. “I'm sure you know the old stories about Unicorns being able to control the sun and moon. Of course, that took most of the current Unicorn population at the time, and posed a strain on those involved. I suppose it is quite a feat for a single pony to be able to do what hundreds of Unicorns had to use their powers for. If you notice, though, that is our special talents, respectively.”

“It takes a lot of training and responsibility, what when you hold the fate of Equestria in your hooves. Some are better at that whole 'self control' thing than others.” she smiled wanely, taking another sip of hot chocolate to cover her discomfort. “I suppose with the kind of power we possess, and the years of experience, it wouldn't matter whether or not we wanted to be rulers. We'd still be revered, feared, respected, hated... Every one of our good features has an opposite, that somepony somewhere feels about us. That's part of the territory too. You just have to learn to take everything in stride, good and bad. There will always be good and bad ponies, when you rule a country.”[/colour]

[colour=#000080]The princess began by stating first off how large that the castle actually was. That there was a reason that the main entrance lead almost directly to the throne room, and that even she herself still got lost in it and that she was lucky for teleportation spells.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "You can use those when you are lost? I though you had to know where you are so that the spell would have an idea to how to teleport you back to a spot you know... Then again, I can barely teleport as it is but maybe once or twice a day. three times if I'm exceptionally lucky. I wish I could figure out how to make it use less energy,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she stated, listening to Luna explain that all in all though she mostly kept to herself looking over the maps and cultures of Equestria and how everything had changed, and how it was an odd experience to watch everything change and then have your life put on pause only to have everything else continue to change, taking a long sip of her drink, creating a long pause. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"I can't imagine how much everything has actually changed. I'd like to say that it hasn't that much, but... I'll be kidding myself. Though one thing I have always wondered. Why did you both leave the Moon Palace? I've been there once myself on an exploration, and I have to admit, even with it as run-down as it was from lack of upkeep and occupancy, it was still amazing. I'll admit the location could have been better, but surely the Everyfree forest wasn't as dangerous back then as it is today was it?"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice asked albeit a bit hesitantly. She wasn't sure if the moon Palace would have harnessed some negative feelings from the princess. She then heard Fire ask if she was sure that she didn't want anything. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I'll actually take a strawberry soda if you haven't turned the fountain off yet,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she responded politely to the pony behind the counter.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]She sipped at the soda as she listed to Luna then explain the question that Fire had asked, stating that it was a bit strenuous at first, but at the same time, it was both her and Celestia's special talent respectfully. It still didn't make it less of a feat, but was true nonetheless. She went on to say that running the entire empire like Equestria took a lot of responsibility and training, and that some had the self-control thing down a bit better than others. Ice couldn't help but feel bad for Luna upon hearing the comment. It wasn't her fault, well, it kinda was but it was all a misunderstanding! A misunderstanding that to this day she was still paying for. She then heard her state that everypony was going to have something that the loved about them and that they hated about them. that it was impossible to please everypony and there would always be some good and some bad. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, I don't know about anypony else here tonight, but I haven't seen a single thing here tonight that could make me dislike you in anyway shape or form. You've been generous, kind, caring, and very friendly. That's enough for a win in my book,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told Luna with a smile.[/colour]

The red unicorn listened to Luna as she answered to both hers and Ice's questions. She chuckled when Luna mentioned how she sometimes got lost in her own castle and had to teleport.

[colour=#FF0000]"I can only imagine how big the castle is inside. I've only been able to see the outside and once a courtyard inside. I think if I visited or stayed in a place as big I'd need a map or even somepony to take me around. Thankfully you were able to teleport. I actually haven't even tried teleporting myself. Not sure how it would go."[/colour]

Ice Storm mentioned her interest in teleporting which sparked Fire's curiousity.

[colour=#FF0000]"Well, as i said I don't really know about teleporting much, but I guess as Luna mentioned you can teleport from an area that you're lost in. I wonder if you can teleport to an unfamiliar location, one you haven't been to before. I know it would be pretty dangerous to dod so. Great, now you two are making me want to try to teleport!" [/colour]With that the unicorn gave a little laugh at her alays unsatisfied desire to learn new things.

Fire then heard the Princess explain how she was keeping up with all the changes tht happened in Equestria over the centuries.

[colour=#FF0000]"Yeah, I could only imagine how it would be seeing everything change. If you want to ask any questions about the world Princess I'd be happy to try and answer them. I'm a bit rusty on history, but I can explain how things are at least now. Speaking of history, how different were things back a thousand years ago? I only learned a small bit of history during that time in school."[/colour]

Ice then asked about the Moon Palace in the Everfree Forest before getting a soda.

[colour=#FF0000]"You know, that's something I'd like to hear about too. Great bringing that up Ice! Was there a city around the castle like Canterlot is? Was the Everfree Forest always that wild? I'm sorry if I'm tossing out so many questions, but it's just something that I'm interested in."[/colour]

It came time for Luna to answer Fire's original question.

[colour=#FF0000]"Well, I know several unicorns could do great things, and I did remember hearing that they at one point had to raise the sun and moon. But I could only imagine how mush power it takes to meve the sun or moon."[/colour]

The tone of the conversation became more somber as Luna mentioned how she felt she lacked control and how being a princess meant that ponies would like or hate.

[colour=#FF0000]"I don't think you have self control issues. Take it from a pony who knows a thing or two of control, especially what happens when you lose control of it. As far as the ponies' opinions of you, I guess that not every pony will like what others do at all times, but like you and Ice said to me it doesn't matter about those who think badly of you. And I could certainly echo Ice in all that I think about you." [/colour]

[colour=#000080]”Well, teleportation works a little bit different for myself, due to my extensive studies and practice of magic. I wouldn't advise it for a... well, normal pony. Experimentation with spells can have mixed results, and not always have desirable consequences. When you've been doing magic as long as Celestia and I have, you just... get better at it, I guess. It's not really about shortcuts or talent, but rather experience and practice. The rulers of Equestria have a lot more of each than anypony could hope to achieve in their lifetime. Comes with the territory of being a princess, I suppose.” Luna shrugged as she sipped at her beverage.

She set it down as Ice Storm asked the next question, visibly swallowing as she delved into an old memory. “Probably because it got a little... destroyed when I—that is, when Nightmare Moon came about. Of course, neither she nor Celestia were going to go down easy. As for why it wasn't just rebuilt, I suppose Celestia wanted to leave behind the memories of the incident. With the castle in ruins, and unfit to inhabit, it was as good a time as any to start anew. Without anypony keeping the vegetation under control, the Everfree Forest grew around the old palace, and the town.”

She took another drink, and a comical dollop of whipped cream ended up on her nose. Luna noticed it right away, but instead of grabbing a napkin, which would have been the more ladylike option, she swirled her tongue around and licked it off, smacking her tongue against the top of her mouth as she tasted the white sweetness.

“There did used to be a town, yes. Not quite as large as Canterlot, mind you. Equestria was new, and so were their rulers, so everypony was able to live in pretty close proximity. But it was right near the castle, just as the city of Canterlot is now. Of course, things have expanded immensely in the last millennium. It seems that for a long while, nopony wanted to build anything around the Everfree, either due to the forest's legends, or that of the castle within. Ponyville is a rather recent edition to Equestria. Canterlot is probably a better place for the castle anyway, high up on a mountain, a shining beacon to every creature that approaches.”

“That you for your offer, but the Royal Archives have several maps and books that detail the history of the landscape. Like I said before, I've been going over maps already, learning the lay of the land. Although it is helpful to have a guide when touring a city. Maps just don't quite do them justice, when you get to walking around in them. Cities are always changing, a map isn't going to be nearly as accurate as somepony who actually lives there.” She did her best not to sound rude when she declined her offer to help. “As for what was different, well... the best way to sum it up would be everything.”

“As I mentioned, the territory was entirely different. The castle was different—it was rebuilt shortly after my banishment, so I hadn't even seen it until my return. Relations with the Griffons and Dragons certainly wasn't as peaceful. The history books can probably tell you a lot better than I can. I mean, I was there, but I'm only one pony, and after a thousand years one's memory tends to get a little fuzzy.” she smiled. Anypony that lived for as long as she and Celestia had was bound to forget quite a bit.

Luna shifted at Ice Storm's comment on her attitude throughout the evening. “You're really too kind. It seems the history books don't give quite an accurate portrayal of my past deeds. Probably for the best.” she laughed awkwardly. Luna was grateful that Fire Heart had another question ready for her. It was rather nice, just sitting and talking among her subjects, almost as if she were one of them.

Still, the subject of Nightmare Moon seemed to be one that many ponies couldn't leave alone. After all, there had been very few witnesses, and the legend had been marred by time, enough so that Luna and Nightmare Moon's entire existence faded from memory, and were considered a myth by all. All, except Princess Celestia, of course. She had probably known it would be for the best if ponies forgot. Maybe part of it was Celestia herself trying to forget. Well, that was the past, and the Elements of Harmony had given her a new start for a reason.

“There are two sides to every bit, just as there are two sides to every pony. Which side they choose to portray around myself is entirely up to them. It's not right for me to say one way or the other how somepony should act towards me. I've just had to face the fact that I deserve both the good and bad. I've done plenty of both in my time, and all I can do is strive to show that I've turned over a new leaf. But Celestia trusts me, after all I did. So I think that, if she can give me a chance, even with everything that happened between us... well, it gives me hope that everypony else can too.” she lifted her cup with her magic, but paused before placing it to her lips. “Sorry. Guess I got a little carried away again. There isn't much of anypony to talk to on—“ she took a quick gulp of her drink, reluctant to say the word in correlation with her banishment.

She did her best to hide behind her hot chocolate, taking several small sips and staring into the cup, rather than meeting the eyes of her companions. The loneliness of the moon was one of her worst memories, and a particularly scarring one from the time of her punishment. She hoped the conversation would move along, so she could put her mind on other things.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice saw the look on Princess Luna's face, and as she had feared, she had apparently sparked some memories that she didn't really want to relive. She raised a hoof and placed it one her gently on her shoulder. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I am sorry princess. I was merely curious. I didn't meant to upset you or bring up anything painful,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her sympathetically analyzing her words for what she was about to say next resting her hoof back on the floor. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"As far as history goes though, it's all just that. History. Sure what happened wasn't all daisies and roses, but it honestly doesn't matter to me. What happened, happened over a millennium ago, and well before any current generation's lifetime. The way I personally feel about it, is that nopony today should really have the right to judge you like that. Nopony here was alive when you were Nightmare Moon, and have no reason to have any ill feelings towards you at all. I know I at the very least try not to base judgment off of past events, unless it was something that directly hurt me personally. Shoot, the only reason I despise nobility in general is because My own parents abandoned me for it. That being said though, I think everypony, regardless of what they've done, deserves a second chance. Honestly thought, I feel like most haven't even given you one. It's simply just not fair to you,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice said adamant to protect her princess's honor. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"As it were, I too understand what it feels like to be alone. Albeit no where near to the same extent, but all the same. You'll always have somepony you can come to now if you need anything or just want to talk. My shop's open to you whenever you'd like to drop by,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her with a friendly heart-felt smile. She listed as Fire jokingly said that the two of them were making her want to learn how to teleport.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "I can promise you, that spell won't be easy. I've been barely able to grasp it, and it still doesn't always work how I want it too. I can't count how many times I've teleported to the wrong place,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she admitted with a small blush trying to move the mood of the conversation back to a happier light.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]She then thought back to how fire mentioned if the princess had any questions about the history in Equestria, it gave Ice an idea. While the princess declined on the motion of asking about history, stating that there were many books in the castle library that she had to choose from. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Perhaps maybe not about history, but I think Fire might be on to something here. We've been asking a lot of questions right and left, and I think that it's only fair that you get to ask us some questions as well about whatever you'd like,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her affirmatively. After all, what kind of friends would they be to her if the only thing they did was ask her questions and never let her ask any of her own?[/colour]

The red unicorn listened as Princess Luna explained teleportation to her and Ice Storm. Granted it wasn't something that she was too concerned with learning, but if she had the time in her schooling and if it was even possible for her, then she might try it.

Fire understood what Luna said about the so called Moon Palace being abandoned, particularily due to it being ruined and the stigma of it being the site where Nightmare Moon battled. It was no wonder why no pony wanted to resettle the area.

[colour=#FF0000]"The reason for not settling back in the forest makes sense. So does where this city is built now makes sense. Ponies must have a great view of it around most of Equestria. Then again I have a great view of the area around it. I can actually, on a clear day, see Ponyville from my dorm room. Of course it's kind of small."[/colour]

The Princess, upon taking her drink, had a little whipped cream on her nose. Fire Heart tried desperately to stiffle a laugh so as not to make it appear that she was making fun of the Princess. In the most unexpected reaction, Luna licked the white glob off her nose, something never in a million years the older filly expected the Princes to do. In fact that was something she'd do! It was in this one act that Fire realized that deep down Princess Luna was very much like the other ponies she'd seen and talk with.

Luna kindly declined Fire's offer to assist her. It was just as well as the unicorn knew that being a Princess she had access to information that even she was unable to find.

[colour=#FF0000]"That's fine," [/colour]she said as she took a sip of her chocolate, [colour=#FF0000]"but if you need help finding something with towns changing, I'll be here."[/colour]

Fire noticed along with Ice that in their questioning things were relating back to the events of Luna being Nightmare Moon. The older filly did try to make sure her questions did not offend the Princess. Yet the past has a funny way of creeping up.

[colour=#FF0000]"I agree with Ice that you shouldn't be upset about your time as Nightmare Moon, or other ponies bringing it up. I mean, I really only learned about those events in school and a little when you returned. I guess some ponies must have long memories or hold onto history alot, but the past can't be altered. My parents told me that the past is history, the future a mystery, and the present is a gift. that's why it's called a present! So really the present is the only thing a pony can really change. And from what I've seen and heard living in Canterlot all my life, there were only a few ponies who ever brought up your past. Most were just excited you were back."[/colour]

Fire then heard Ice mention an interesting idea.

[colour=#FF0000]"That sounds like a plan Ice. Actually, if both of you want to ask me something, that's great!"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000080]Luna set her cup back on the table, flashing a reluctant smile at Ice Storm. “It's not your fault. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to spoil the mood.” She half blamed herself—after all, if she had botched things up a millennium ago, nopony would have to ask about her misdeeds. And Ice Storm had no way of knowing what sort of reaction Luna would have, so the princess didn't blame her in the slightest.

“I'm sure there would be plenty that would disagree with you on that. After all, my first appearance back in Equestria was as Nightmare Moon.” she scuffed a hoof on the table awkwardly. She really had nopony to blame but herself. Sure, she had been lonely, and nowadays she sometimes was too. But taking it out on the innocents of Equestria, the ponies that had looked up to both her and Celestia, had not been right. And even though it was over, Luna felt she would still be punished for it for years to come—whether by the hooves of the ponies of Equestria, or by her own guilt.

Luna smiled into her drink, before turning her eyes up back to Ice Storm. “I guess it was silly, my feeling alone, when there were so many others that were probably friendless as well. But even they had the hope of meeting others, at school or at work, and most of them had families. Eh... Right, teleportation.” Luna smiled, glad for a change of subject.

“Thank you very much, Fire Heart. It's at least good to know that the offer is there.” Even with maps and guards, it was nice to know that somepony would care enough about her to go out of their way, and probably inconvenience themselves, for her. It gave her some hope, that already her reputation was changing for the better.

She covered her mouth with a hoof as she giggled at Fire Heart's quote about time. “Maybe your parents are right. I swear, some ponies seem to think my sister and I have infinite knowledge just because we've been around for a few thousand years. But really, the world keeps changing, sometimes faster than we can keep up. Ponies are kind of amazing... always thinking up new inventions, or knowledgeable sayings, or discovering something.” she smiled wistfully, thinking on the numerous talents of her subjects.

“Well...” Luna paused, thinking about what she could ask the pair. “What if you tell me about your families? I'm sure you know all about Princess Celestia, so there's not much for me to reciprocate on that subject.” Asking something so simple, yet something that could turn into a lengthy conversation, would give her time to perhaps think of something more relevant to modern times that she had been curious about.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice listened as Fire Heart supported her statement that Luna shouldn't be as upset about what happened in the past. That what happened int the past was just in the past and then stated a phrase that her mother had taught her. She couldn't help but let a small giggle and seeing Luna smile set her heart at ease. Among everything else so far she'd already developed a hatred for seeing Luna even the slightest bit upset. She wanted to make sure that she was as happy as she could be, because after all, she felt like Luna deserved it. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]She listened as Luna apologized for killing the mood, as she phrased is, and then reminded her of the fact that her first experience back in Equestria was as Nightmare Moon.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "True, but all the same, it shouldn't be something that other ponies couldn't look past. Enough on that though, I can't imagine that being something you'd actually like talking about. Though in my personal opinion, I though that you at least looked as beautiful as Nightmare Moon as you are now, and I mean that in the best way possible,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she mentioned happily. Then Fire pretty much solidified the idea of letting Luna ask some questions about them. The first question that she asked though, of course had to be about family. Granted it was the first thing that a pony could ask about and make for a decent conversation, but it was the one topic that Ice was hoping to avoid. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Her face saddened at some of the memories that she had of her parents. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, As much as I would like to say otherwise, I know next to nothing about my family anymore. I remember what my parents used to be like before they met that money hungry Aristocrat in Fillydelphia. Before that time, my parents where the two ponies I could go to for love and support. After they met him, I ultimately became a burden and soon after they completely forgot that I even existed at all. I ultimately became fed up of being treated like I didn't even exist and left, and the after effects that everything has had on me have been all but pleasant. I've mostly out-grown most of the issues except the one that I wish I would have outgrown the most that has me constantly afraid of falling asleep and making a mess somewhere. It's... really quite embarrassing to be honest, especially at my age,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said with a sigh. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"At the very least though I was able to cherish at least one good memory from my parents. These bracelets used to be my mother's. They are the only thing I have from my parents from before they turned against me. I just hope that in the end whatever fame and fortune they been able to acquire was worth forsaking their own daughter for,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she finished resting her head on the table.[/colour]

Fire was satisfied that Luna understood what she was saying about the past being just that, a page in a pony's book of life. Still there was that uneasy feeling Luna had when she was Nightmare Moon. The older filly guessed that some wounds could not be healed so easily. It would take time for the Princess of the Night to forgive herself, but at least the unicorn was happy to show that she thought very highly of her.

The older filly then heard Luna ask about their families. She figured that would be a safe subject to explore, taking the focus off luna being Nightmare Moon. But when Fire Heart heard Ice tell her sad story of betrayal by her own parents for money and power, the older filly could not believe what she was hearing! She could see the sadness and anger in the blue unicorn's eyes.

[colour=#FF0000]"Hey," [/colour]she said putting a foreleg around her friend, [colour=#FF0000]"it's ok. Forget them. If they don't see how nice and kind you are, then they don't deserve your love." [/colour]

2wmm3ux.jpg

For many ponies, the act of studying was a quiet activity meant to be conducted away from noisy distractions. Moondancer was not one of these ponies at all, as that specific vision of studying bored her out of her mind. During those few times she tried reading assigned chapters or writing term papers alone in her dorm room, it usually took her about ten to fifteen minutes before isolation from buddies made a wreck out of her. As she reasoned, why study at all if it couldn’t be a fun activity shared with others? Nothing was worth doing unless something fun could be made out of it; in Moondancer’s case, that task was never hard at all when friends were around.

Such was the state of the white-coated unicorn’s mind as she trotted alone on the lit sidewalks of Canterlot. Within her saddlebags marked with the crescent moon and stars contained a few books, quill and ink, and the current version of her latest multi-page essay. With her dorm mates all out watching a play and the study rooms at Canterlot University closed for the night, Moondancer prowled the streets on a journey to one of her old haunts, a small establishment nearby Princess Celestia’s magic school called the Happy Bean Café. If the young mare was lucky, some students hanging out there would be able to provide her with company as she revised the essay she needed to turn in by the end of the week.

Moondancer arrived at her destination without any noteworthy event, gladdened to know that the Happy Bean remained open at this late time. Taking a peek through the window, it appeared the café was empty… save for one booth with three seated ponies. Skilled in remembering ponies, Moondancer instantly recognized one of the occupants as Fire Heart, a student at Celestia’s school who came by the magic practice hall Moondancer helped monitor part-time. It took a dozen more seconds for Moondancer to search through her memories and recognize the ice blue unicorn as Ice Storm, one of her former classmates at Celestia’s school.

[colour=#cc0033]~Like, who’d ever thought that mixing Fire with Ice makes everything nice? Hey… that’s a good rhyme, tee hee!~[/colour]

The last pony, a rather tall and dark mare that appeared to have glitter in her mane, Moondancer could neither remember nor make out clearly from her unadvantageous vantage point. Pressing her head further against the glass, the magic student tried in vain to identify the unknown pony. Moondancer didn’t care if the ponies inside saw her squished (and probably laughable) face; life’s more fun anyway when one has silly and embarrassing tales to swap with everypony else.....

[colour=#000080]”You make it sound as if it would be easy for anypony to brush off my attempt overrule Celestia, bring about eternal night, usher in a reign of evil, and probably lead to the destruction of Equestria. But, you know, it's just along the same lines as stealing a candy bar or lying to your parents.” Luna smiled wanely. “I do realize that you mean well, Ice Storm, but it's really not something to be taken lightly. Ponies read about the wars with the griffon lands and the racism between ponies in the olden days—and it just doesn't seem as important if you weren't there, does it? I suppose it's a little worse if you were there... and were the cause, though.”

“Ah, but enough about that.” she blushed at Ice Storm's comment about Nightmare Moon. “Well, of course she would be. If you're going to be running a country, you want to look your best—even if you are evil. I looked good before the transformation, so why would a little evil taint have to change that? Beautiful and terrible, that's how I imagined it.” Luna prattled on, not quite realizing how easy she was making it sound to switch into her alter-ego.

But as Ice Storm told the tale of her parents, Luna's hooves flew to her mouth in shock. She listened, in stunned silence, and even when the blue mare was finished and she'd lowered her hooves, she couldn't say a word for a few moments. “But, you've tried to contact them again, right? They changed once, they could again. What about school? Didn't you have any friends to help you along?” Sure, the Nightmare Moon thing had seemed bad. But normal ponies had such short lives. They never outlived their mistakes or hurts. And though Luna would always remember the Nightmare Moon incident, it had faded into myth in the minds of ponies in just a few hundred years.

“And what about you, Fire Heart?” Luna was tentative to even ask. After the surprising story Ice Storm had just told, she had to hope that Fire Heart would have a much more happy and cheerful tale of her kin. Or perhaps they would all just be downers this evening, and try to top each other for most depressing story.

She was momentarily distracted, however, by the appearance of a white Unicorn. At first, Luna was just going to watch her walk by, wondering all the while what anypony would be doing out this late... and then realizing that she was sitting in a still open coffee shop with two other ponies who actually WERE out this late.

Yet oddly, Luna watched as the pony first glanced inside, then turned and pressed her nose to the window. She could see her breath, fogging and un-fogging the window, as she breathed directly on it. It took Luna a second to realize that the pony was probably staring at, well her. After all, she was a princess, out late in Canterlot—and it wasn't every day that that happened. So, Luna raised a hoof and waved, wondering if the Unicorn was just going to keep staring or actually come inside.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Luna made sure to acknowledge that she knew that she had meant well in her wordings of what she had spoken about the past, but that in all honest it really wasn't something to take lightly. She did however that it perhaps wasn't as important if you weren't there to witness it, or in her case, the cause of all of it. She then smiled a small bit when she heard her mention that even as an evil mare, a mare still had to look good if she was going to be ruling a country. She left out a small, soft, barely audible laugh, and she felt fire place a hoof over her shoulder. She heard her state that if her parents couldn't show her their love then they didn't deserve hers. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I can't say that I disagree. That's how I've felt the last couple years,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she answered as the princess asked if she had tried to contact them again since then. She shook her head.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Honestly, I've been too afraid to contact them again. I'm either afraid that they'd either have not changed and won't even acknowledge anything I sent them, or that they've become even more corrupted and try to use whatever power that they've acquired to bend me to their will in order to keep the family name in nobility. I've read about things like that happening before in books. That being said though, if they have changed and have actually been looking for me... I would very much love to see them again..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she said before addressing Luna's second question about school.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "School was a nightmare for me both in Filly and Canterlot, but for different reasons. In Filly I was the only Unicorn in my class that hadn't develop any sort of magic at all, and it made me the source of constant ridicule. Here in Canterlot that wasn't an issue, as I discovered my talents with ice on the way here, and refined them at the school of magic. The reason I was ridiculed here was because of the simple fact that I was born in Fillydelphia and everypony else thought they were better than me because they were born here where you and Celestia lived. It was also the reason I moved to Ponyville. To get away from all the stress that I've dealt with from nobility in general. I'd be lying if I said I haven't developed a slight hatred of Nobility. If being a noble requires you to be that rude to everypony who wasn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth then I want nothing of it,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she stated hoping to at least put the conversation on and upward slope.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"That's also the reason I've always looked up to you Princess, even when I hadn't met you yet. I knew that while out pasts were similar yours had been a lot less forgiving than mine, and I knew that if you were able to keep your head up strong and persevere through everything that you've had to go through, then I could do it as well. It's been anything but easy though, and I'd be kidding myself to think I hadn't come close to snapping on a few occasions. In fact the very reason I left Canterlot was because of an argument I got into a while back where I almost did,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said with a sigh before Luna also addressing for Fire to speak about her family as well. Ice nodded in agreement.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "Agreed, let's move on to something else before I kill the mood even more than I already have,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she stated plainly, any and all enthusiasm lost in her voice. At this point she had felt absolutely horrible. Not only had she relived the worst parts of her life, but she'd dragged the mood of the night down with her when it started off so happy, and even worse in front of a princess! She could only hope that Fire's story would turn things around because right now Ice felt felt like just fading into a corner where she could cry and not ruin anything else. She was so caught up in within herself at the moment that she hadn't even noticed the unicorn in the window peering in. [/colour]

Fire Heart nodded as Luna mentioned how the situatuion of the Princess becomming Nightmare Moon was not to be taken lightly. Still the unicorn was also glad that the Princess acknowledged her side that some things were better left in the past.

The older filly couldn't help but giggle, almost choking on her hot chocolate, as Luna mentioned she had to look good even when she was bad.

[colour=#FF0000]"I guess you're right. I mean if you have the looks, why hide it?"[/colour]

The unicorn was then taken back to Ice Storm's troubled life when the blue unicorn menntioned how she was afraid to contact her parents and how her school life wasn't that good.

[colour=#FF0000]"I would hope that they did change after all those years, but some ponies get set in their ways. I know how you feel about school as my time there wasn't the best either."[/colour]

Wisely the Princess and ice decided to change the conversation. Itt was now time for Fire to tell her history.

[colour=#FF0000]"Well, my dad's name is Warm Heart. He's a counselor who helps poinies with problems like grief or relationships. He's very busy, but I was able to see him in the evenings. My mum is Fire Dancer. She was once a famous dancer who danced on the stages of Canterlot. I heard she even would go on tour to other cities to perform. When she foalled me, she retired from dancing on stage. Yet she still helps teach ponies how to dance, including me. As for school, it was ok. I was bullied alot because I didn't get my cutie mark until I was older and I would always protect other ponies being bullied, which then mafe me the target. One day I remember there was this colt who was teasing me so much that I couldn't take it anymore. I suddenly burst into flames which scared the bully, That's when my mark appeared. After that, no pony dared bully me, but after what happened all my classmates were scared of me, afraid that"d hurt them. There were times i wished I did not have this type of magic. Then thnkfully my parents enrolled me at Princess Celestia's School to help me with my magic. And that's where I am today."[/colour]

The pony looked ofer and saw a familiar pony with her face pressed against the glass.

[colour=#FF0000]"Moondancer?"[/colour]

She waved to get the pony's attention, hoping to encourage her to come in.