[Canterlot]A Night Under the Stars, (xIceStormX, MyLittlePonyTales, PM to Join)

IceStorm

[colour=#000080]”You don't have to worry about that.”[/colour] Luna smiled at Ice Storm. [colour=#000080]”And you don't either, Moon Dancer. We all have to live up to our mistakes.”[/colour] she said, serious now. “Especially the ones that haunt us. Aside from Nightmare Night, every once in awhile somepony uses my—er—former name. I suppose I should be used to ponies slipping up. They aren't perfect, and well... I'm not really one to talk either.” she finally pushed her cup out of the grasp of her hooves, rubbing them together absently as she spoke.

Fire Heart offered a welcome distraction. [colour=#000080]”Of course you love your friends, even if you don't realize it. But you also have to remember that love needs to go both ways, whether in a simple friendship, or something more. One-sided love doesn't work. So what I'm saying is, it's not all about you loving your friends, it's about them loving you back. You see?”[/colour] she asked expectantly, thinking she had been quite clear on the matter. [colour=#000080]”Of course, the feelings you have for a mate will be quite a bit different. But still, if you can make friends who like you, I'm sure there's somepony out there who will like you more than a friend.”[/colour]

But, despite quickly dropping the topic of Nightmare Moon, Nightmare Night was now the current 'hot topic'. [colour=#000080]”Well, I'm sure the celebrations in Ponyville are similar to those in Canterlot, and in every other city, for that matter. There are lots of games and food and costumes, and ponies of course. It's a grand old time for family and friends. And who knows, sometimes I pay a visit. I spent my first Nightmare Night in Ponyville because that was the only place I knew anypony. I mean, Celestia is in Canterlot, surely, but the time of the festivities isn't really convenient for her. But, I'm sure you know all about it anyway. You've all been, right?”[/colour] Even if the ponies present seemed busy with schooling or work now, surely as fillies their parents would have allowed them to partake in the celebration.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[colour=#000080]Ice listened as Moondancer expplained that she was working on a paper and that the school was different in a way that instead of teaching how to cast magic like the school of magic did, it was teaching how magic worked. Ice had to admit that she kinda wanted to know this herself. Perhaps she'd be able to figure out a way to be able to teleport consistently without making herself sick. Even she had to admit that the ability is a lifesaver on occasion. she shrugged though and listen about how she was writing the paper on a comet that was supposed to be passing through the Horsehead Nebula. If there was one thing that Ice made sure to learn, it was stars. After all, she spent most of her time outside so she aught to know everything about what she was sleeping under. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Sounds interesting but difficult at the same time. I have to admit that if it wasn't for the fact that I'd probably end up freezing somepony there for mouthing off to me like everypony did before, I'd consider joining. Maybe I can figure out what I'm doing wrong in some of the spells that I can't cast by finding out how the work and what exactly that I'm doing wrong to fix it,[/colour][colour=#000080]" she smiled.

She also listened as Fire and the princess spoke. fire, mainly agreed with what Ice had said while adding that because she could love friends that some day she would find the special somepony of her own. Luna replied to her stating that the love in a relationship had to go both ways, that it was just as important to be loved in return, as it was to love somepony else to begin with. Ice could understand this on a much deeper level than the princess may have intended and brought her back to her parents. Deep down inside of her she still deeply loved them. they were her parents after all, but from what she knew in the past she knew that the feelings were not mutual, or at least they weren't at the time. She sighed, before the princess started talking about Nightmare night. How she didn't really know anypony in Canterlot, so she spent her first one in Ponyville and wasn't all that successful. she also asked if anypony else had been to which Ice shook her head.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"I've never had an opportunity to attend anything special at all. Tonight was only the second time I've ever been to a party, and it was my first time being at a Gala. As I mentioned I didn't have much of a foalhood, and when I was here in Canterlot, I was generally to afraid of going outside when I wasn't tending to my shop because of how bad my relations were with everypony else here. Thankfully tonight went a good way to healing that issue, as I hadn't gotten in any disagreements with anypony. That being said, I'm planning on at least trying to make this one. I have a feeling though I'm probably going to end up working it. After all, Nightmare Night is a time for fillies and foals for the most part. Considering that's one of the primary markets for my snow cones, it means that if I have supplies I'll be stuck working,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice sighed.[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"I definitely would love to go to Nightmare Night in[/colour] [colour=#ff0000]Ponyville one day[/colour][colour=#ff0000]," [/colour]Fire Heart said to Princess Luna and Moondancer, [colour=#ff0000]"I heard it's nteresting going around to the different haunted attractions and getting all the candy. Actually I heard that you can even go to the Moon Palace. I actually an studying that during school, but what I really want to do is go see it. I could only imagine what it looked like when it was ... not in ruins. But the school does have festivities going on so at least I had fun there." [/colour]

The unicorn heard Ice Storm mention that she would be working at the Nightmare night rather than participating.

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh I think you could take a break from selling snow cones. After all I don't think it's just for foals to enjoy. I mean I like a good laugh and a good scare and of course candy."[/colour]

Fire Heart heard Moondancer mention a certain cosmic event that was to happen soon. Although her studies at Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns were not as rigorous as in the university, the older filly nonetheless liked stargazing ,. This was especially true due to the great observation area at the top of one of the buildings where a pony could get an entire panoramic view of the city and the skies above.

[colour=#ff0000]"ooo! I'm going to have to remember that. I'll definitely be up in the observation area when that happens." [/colour]

The unicorn listened as Princess Luna explained that love worked both ways and the she needed to be loved as well as love others. It appeared that Ice Storm felt the same way as well, although it somehow appeared that she was reflecting on other aspects beyond friends and romantic interests.

[colour=#ff0000]"You're right, I definitely have to make sure that friends love me too. As for finding a mate, well I haven't felt any love yet for any stallions I've met, but may someday soon. Have you had a best friend to just have fun with, Princess?"[/colour]

2wmm3ux.jpg

Once Princess Luna forgave Moondancer for her unintentional slip-up, she then proceeded to describe the Ponyville festivities for Nightmare Night. Judging by what she heard, the white unicorn judged that Ponyville ponies celebrated the occasion in pretty much the same way. [colour=#cc0033]“Hehe, I take part in Nightmare Night all the time,”[/colour] Dancer replied; [colour=#cc0033]“Although I’m afraid I’m a little bit too old to go around asking for candy these days. Last year, I tried doing that but all the adults looked funny at me. Oh well.....”[/colour] The mare used this occasion to sigh for Nightmare Nights gone by.

Still writing notes down, Moondancer chuckled as she provided Fire Heart with a warning about viewing the upcoming comet; [colour=#cc0033]“I got to warn you girls though; when the comet passes through the nebula, it’ll create an etheric cascade, a magic spike if you will, that will affect every magically-inclined creature in Equestria... which when you think about it, means pretty much anything. Apparently though, the last time the Secretariat Comet passed by it caused a whole lot of craziness, and it looks like it’ll happen again. Say Luna, has Princess Celestia made any preparations for the upcoming comet?”[/colour] The moon-flanked pony wasn't too concerned with the comet to be honest, seeing that Equestria got past it just fine the last time around, even if Canterlot's cobblestone streets then got infested with giant-sized monsters.

Moondancer turned up from her books and interjected when Ice Storm suggested the possibility of attending the university just to brush up on her magic abilities; [colour=#cc0033]“The thing with the university though is that outside of a club or two, there’s really no courses or facilities dedicated to letting unicorns practice spells. It’s really more of a research institution than anything else. If you want tutoring, there are plenty of magic instructor guys around Canterlot who are all nice and will work with anypony. Heck, you can even go to Immie; she tutors non-students in her spare time too!”[/colour]

OOC: for more information on the effects of the Secretariat Comet, refer to Issue #4 of IDW’s comic series.

[colour=#000080]Well you know, Ice Storm,”[/colour] The princess said thoughtfully, [colour=#000080]“Fire Heart has mentioned that she's been learning to control her own Unicorn powers. Maybe you could learn a thing or two from her and her teachers.”[/colour] But Luna held back on making a comment on what Ice Storm might be doing wrong. Based on what she'd just said, Luna would have guessed it had something to do with anger issues. She decided not to mention it, though as to not be offensive rather than out of fear. With her powers, it was unlikely any of the three Unicorn fillies could do her any permanent damage. Besides, in order to create her ice confections, Ice must have already had some control over her magic.

It did surprise her when Ice Storm admitted to never having attended the Nightmare Night festivities, despite living in Ponyville. How could somepony just ignore a holiday when it was going on around them? Even if she had grown up in Canterlot, she'd been in Ponyville for a couple of years now, right?

But Luna did have to giggle at Ice Storm's comment on the age group that Nightmare Night was apparently intended for.​ [colour=#000080]”If Nightmare Night is just for fillies and colts, then I must be Equestria's oldest filly!”[/colour] Even if she was new to “fun” and letting her mane down, Luna did enjoy the activities just as much as the foals, and even the other adults, did. Saying that Nightmare Night was “a time for fillies and foals” was like saying that eating cake could only be enjoyed by children.

[colour=#000080]”Oh, and that is true, Fire Heart! Nightmare Night is one of the few times that the Moon Palace deep inside the Everfree Forest is safely accessible to ponies. Enchanting a safe path takes a good bit of magic, so that's why it only happens once a year, and is premeditated by the townsponies. I suppose that is one thing no other town will ever have.”[/colour] She paused, her face growing somber. [colour=#000080]”And yes, it was quite spectacular to behold.”[/colour] Old memories, both pleasant and unpleasant, suddenly filled her mind as she thought of her childhood home. [colour=#000080]”But of course, it pales in comparison to the current Canterlot Castle.”[/colour] She threw a fake smile on her face, both to hide her discomfort, and to hopefully brighten her own mood and take her mind from her previous thoughts.

Luckily the conversation was fast moving between the four of them, and a topic change was quick. [colour=#000080]”It's not really that you have to be sure your friends like or love you. It's just sort of something you know—you feel it, in the way that you act toward each other, the things you do for one another—it's, it's not really something you can explain. But I think that you'll know.”[/colour] Luna wasn't exactly an expert on friendship. Sure, she'd had friends before, and she had several now, but ponies didn't treat a princess as they did a fellow pony. There were the rare few that could see a princess as just another normal pony. Even those present here had done a fair job of socializing with her like she was anypony else—but the fact remained that they all still knew she was a princess, and whether or not they did it on purpose, continued to treat her as such. There were so many little things that ponies did when they were around a princess, that weren't natural or ordinary, that they wouldn't do when around their other pony friends. It was all well and good to be courteous and polite, but Luna could tell those things were done a little extra whenever she or any of the other princesses were around.

Then Luna turned to Moon Dancer. [colour=#000080]”Oh yes, there are quite a few defenses in place for when the comet passes by. I guess since you already know about it, there's no since in hiding the event. The guards have already begun some extra training, though there's no guarantee whether or not there will actually be any kind of actual attack. The worst that might happen is that a few Unicorns lose control of their magic... or it could be that several of the beasts from the Everfree Forest might find their way into Canterlot or Ponyville. The results are very hard to predict, and so everypony who has a hoof in defending Equestria must be ready. I don't know that the effects of the comet will make the papers, though. Potential threats, no matter how minor, tend to send ponies into a panic. So it's... probably best if you don't mention your findings to too many ponies. Your book mentions that there will be a magical surge, but it doesn't exactly say what that will do to Equestria. And nopony can really know until the time that it passes. But, rest assured that everypony will remain safe. Celestia and I shall see to that.”[/colour] Luna smiled warmly at all those present, trying to reassure them of her promise. It was true that she and Celestia would do everything in their power to protect everypony in Equestria, and with the steps they were already taking to ensure that, Luna hoped that their preparations would be enough.

[colour=#000080]When Fire Heart and Princess Luna both addressed the topic of Nightmare Night, Ice instantly became aware of the poor choice of words that she had used to describe the event. Then again, having never actually taken part in the event before, it was actually very east for her to be out of the loop. Fire told her that she shouldn't have to be stuck working, while Luna added that if Nightmare Night was just meant for fillies and colts, then she was Equestria's oldest filly. Ice kicked herself mentally for the statement. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I just, I always saw everypony else getting to go have fun, and well... I never got to... and most of the ponies I had ever seen out on that night had been younger ones..."[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice explained. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Of course..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she stated moving hoof up to her chin, [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"The fact that it's not just for fillies and foals means that it's never too late to start!"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said with a much happier tone.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]She then listened to Moondancer explained that when the comet passed through the nebula, that it could cause some issues. It could cause magic spikes, that would affect pretty much everything in Equestria. That was not good. While Ice had decent control of her magic most of the time, even more so when she was happy, she didn't need any help in having a possibility of losing control of her magic. If there was one thing that she remembered in school, it was that she had one of the more dangerous elements that she could control, and that if she lost control, well... It wouldn't be pretty, and more dangerous for herself than everypony else around her. That being said, she let out a sigh of relief when Luna said that the necessary precautions were already being taken care of. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I'm sure that everything you have in place will be perfect. After all, you've had to have seen these things all the time before right? I'm sure that this comet isn't the only one that is capable of something like this,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice stated unknowingly. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Then thinking back onto what was mentioned earlier about her possibly seeking out some tutoring to help her with the bit of magic issues that she had, and she could honestly say that it was possible the smartest thing she could have heard, and kicked herself for not thinking of it sooner. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"That's a great idea! I think I'll start looking into them starting tomorrow!"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said triumphantly. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Though, realistically I guess it would be all up to which one I could afford. I can't imagine any of them being cheap, and while what I make is enough to suffice me in Ponyville for everything I need, It wouldn't last me a week here,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she stated noting the economical difference of the two cities.[/colour]

[colour=#cc0033]“Hehe, I take part in Nightmare Night all the time,”[/colour] Dancer replied; [colour=#cc0033]“Although I’m afraid I’m a little bit too old to go around asking for candy these days. Last year, I tried doing that but all the adults looked funny at me. Oh well.....”[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]That's a shame," [/colour]Fire said down trodden for her friend, [colour=#ff0000]"Well, maybe you can make that day an excuse to buy some candy and eat it without fear! But even if you're older Moon and Ice, you can still have fun, right?" [/colour]

[colour=#000080]”Oh, and that is true, Fire Heart! Nightmare Night is one of the few times that the Moon Palace deep inside the Everfree Forest is safely accessible to ponies. Enchanting a safe path takes a good bit of magic, so that's why it only happens once a year, and is premeditated by the townsponies. I suppose that is one thing no other town will ever have.”[/colour] She paused, her face growing somber. [colour=#000080]”And yes, it was quite spectacular to behold.”[/colour] Old memories, both pleasant and unpleasant, suddenly filled her mind as she thought of her childhood home. [colour=#000080]”But of course, it pales in comparison to the current Canterlot Castle.”[/colour]

The unicorn was happy to hear Princess Luna reminiscing about the castle. Fire was intrigued by it as it was a mystery to most ponies just because it was deep within the dangerous forest and the rumors of it. Yet beyond that the older filly could see that even though the memories seemed happy, she couldn't help but notice the the Princess's eyes were filled with a mixture of happiness and sadness.

[colour=#ff0000]"Err... I'm sorry that I brought something up like that. I didn't know that it had a bad effect on you and I don't want to see you or anypony sad[/colour] [colour=#ff0000]if I can help it."[/colour]

Luckily the topic changed to something else.

[colour=#000080]”It's not really that you have to be sure your friends like or love you. It's just sort of something you know—you feel it, in the way that you act toward each other, the things you do for one another—it's, it's not really something you can explain. But I think that you'll know.”[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Hmm... feeling instead of knowing," [/colour]Fire said as her thoughts trailed off, [colour=#ff0000]"I guess I've felt that being around friends, and I guess I'll feel that too when I meet [/colour][colour=#ff0000]a special somepony, just different I guess. I wonder, if my fire ability is tied to emotions and it acts wild when I'm sad or angry, how would it act when I feel love?"[/colour]

Fire realized what she was talking to no pony in particular.

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh, whoops. Guess I was thinking out loud." [/colour]

Fire began to worry about the approaching Secretariat Comet, especially when she heard about magical fluxes. It was bad enough that she sometimes had trouble controlling her magic on her own, but with a force acting on her would make things even worse. Thankfully Luna put her and everypony's minds at ease with the measures to protect Canterlot from any creatures or spells going awry,

[colour=#ff0000]"Phew! That's good to hear that there are things in place. I was afraid I would have to go somewhere where I wouldn't burn something or somepony accidentally due to this magic flux, maybe even away from the city until it passed. But I feel a little better now that there are things in place. Does anypony know of some kind of protection or spell that could maybe dampen my fire ability, just in case due to the flux?"[/colour]

The older filly heard Ice ask about getting a tutor for magic, citing the expenses of such a task.

[colour=#ff0000]"You know, I can help you with your magic. I know I'm [/colour][colour=#ff0000]not a teacher, but if you need somepony to practice with, then I can do that." [/colour]

2wmm3ux.jpg

By all accounts, Fire Heart’s suggestion to simply buy candy on Nightmare Night sounded logical to Moondancer. However, it really didn’t feel right to her either; [colour=#cc0033]“I don’t know Fire... it just feels wrong to buy candy for Nightmare Night only to go and like, eat it all yourself. And yeah, I know that that night is supposed to be for all ages and all, but that doesn’t change the fact that oftentimes we big ponies get the short end of the stick when it comes to treats. Who knows though, maybe I’ll think of something awesome to do this year...”[/colour] Resigned to sighing, Moondancer took another drink of her beverage and realized that only a quarter of it remained.

Despite how this was supposed to be a casual conversation, Moondancer scrambled for her notebook and pencil about a quarter of the way into Princess Luna’s response about comet preparations. Around that time, it dawned on the student that she could incorporate Luna’s statement in her paper...it went without saying that the white unicorn would ask for permission first. [colour=#cc0033]“You uhhhh don’t mind,”[/colour] Dancer asked once the alicorn finished;[colour=#cc0033] “If I can quote you in my report, do you? That is, if I can provide proof to my professor that you actually said those words that is. Oh, I’ll make sure to not yap about the comet too if it’ll be better for everypony.”[/colour]

Overhearing Fire Heart offer her services as a tutor for Ice Storm, Moondancer concernedly offered her two bits; [colour=#cc0033]“You sure you can do that Fire? Don’t get me wrong, but I’ve never seen you tutor anypony before... although there’s always a first time for everything, I guess. Even ponies like Immie had to start from somewhere, right?”[/colour] Turning towards Ice, Dancer added; [colour=#cc0033]“I suppose I could help you out from time to time too, but I wouldn’t quite put myself as instructor material yet.”[/colour] For the time being, the young mare didn’t think her experience as a magic school practice hall monitor wasn’t enough of a qualification to help out her friend Icy.....