Hollowed Ruins (Dunder, Andifferous, Winter, Sturmmann, and Phil the Time Wizard)

Dunder

The female griffon was bursting with rage as the ponies spoke because the diamond dogs were listening to them. They weren't the smartest, but they were definitely stronger than the griffons and outnumbered them too. They also didn't need much to change their fickle minds, so Dusty's words stuck to them.

The female griffon didn't hurt any of the ponies' bodies. Instead, she decided to hurt their morale. "Fine, you ponies love to work your mouths so much, all of your food rations are to be cut in half." She said, a desperate attempt to get the ponies to submit. Meanwhile, the other male griffon was looking scared behind the female griffon.

Dunder slowly trotted inside of the mines. He could tell that this place was already mostly cleared of gems, but it was small. Bruteforcing the mining process wasn't ideal and he knew that it could only get worse for them. they needed a way out and Dusty was onto something.

the griffons were behind the doors as they closed. Two diamond dogs kept watch on the ponies, "Get to work!" They said to them all. To enforce themselves, they gave the pony in the back, Winter, a smack on the back with the shaft of a spear.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dusty was fairly pleased with himself, everyone's reactions were exactly what he had expected. The gryphons were caught off guard and upset, and the diamond dogs definitely seemed thoughtful about it. Best of all, the other ponies seemed to understand what he was trying at. He wished that the situation would simply have broken down right then and there, but that was probably too much to hope for. As it was, their current situation seemed much more favorable, with only two guards keeping watch over the inside of the mine.

At the dog's orders he started walking, looking around the mine slowly and carefully, mapping it all out inside his head. "Dunder, Midnight," He said, quietly, calling to the two ponies who seemed the most in on his plan. "Best i can guess, my little speech there caused a lot of doubt. I don't know how long it will last or how effective it'll be." He glanced over his shoulder at the guards, being sure to keep walking and look busy. "The gryphons are definitely gonna try and run some damage control, If we want out of here we gotta work fast."

Midnight nodded to Dusty. He was proving himself to be one of the quickest thinking of the group. Midnight felt a little bad that he had been the one she doubted the most on first impression. His plan was their ticket out. If they could cause a commotion between the dogs and the griffons, that would create a window for the five of them to sneak out. Doing so did present some problems though. If the griffons started to see them as a liability rather than an asset before the plan succeeded, they'd likely be eliminated for it.

"Yes. I agree," she whispered, nodding. She spoke much louder now, but opted not to speak directly to the dogs, instead just making as if her conversation was intended for the others. "It's quite clear that those griffons think themselves superior. They're using these dogs as brainless muscle to do their bidding. In their eyes, they're as much disposable slaves as we are. Funny considering they have more power at their disposal."

"S'alright if our food rations get cut. Knowin' ya griffons it was probably dirt anyways." Muggo' Ale teased with a smirk. He met eyes with the male griffon and smirked again, this time following up with a "Boo."

He looked around the mine, then at the diamond dogs and the griffons. Dusty was definitely on to something with all this. When Midnight spoke, he took his own cue, chuckling. "Aye. Ya seem to be gettin' the short end o' the line, b'y." he addressed the nearest diamond dog, chuckling. He sidled up closer to him and smiled. "If'n I were ya, I'd take it up with the boss. There's two o' them an' tons o' ya. Why've the griffon's got ye by the tail?" he asked in a whisper so that only that particular Diamond Dog could hear him. If he could get even one of them riled up and ready for a fight...well, he was sure the others would follow.

As Winter walked slowly and calmly into the cavern with the others, he felt a sudden and sharp pressure on his back before finding himself collapsed on the ground. It only took him a few seconds to piece together he had been whacked with a spear... What a joy. He looked around confused as he pushed himself back up and observed his companions talking to their captors. The female griffon sounded desperate when she cut the food rations in half, Winter thought hopefully. Maybe the others will overrule her on that. If not... Winter shuddered. Less food and more work is bad for ponies. Winter thought about the situation and decided to at least try to help break apart the griffons and the dogs. Maybe just a well placed mutter would help. It couldn't make things any worse. "Ay... doesn't take a genius to see what is going on here." He said in an angry whisper, hoping the nearby diamond dog would hear him.

When Muggo scared the griffon wit the small "Boo" the griffon jumped, right before the heavy metal and wood door to the mines closed with a slam and a shuffle of chains.

Dunder was going to retaliate when Winter got hit.... but he was thinking against it... it pained him. Standing up for Winter would probably lessen their chances of survival as a whole and risk Dunder's life. Possibly even one of the other ponies.... if it was only him, he'd do it, but he couldn't now. Too many injuries already... Muggo, one of their stronger fighters was at about half the combat effectiveness with a sprained leg, Midnight was still fine, Dusty wasn't much of a fighter, Winter was still dazed and wasn't much of a fighter as it was. These odds had the tides against them, an all out fight would not go their way... words is what they needed. the diamond dogs are secondary, what our primary objective is we need to get out of here, just us ponies. the diamond dogs could probably take care of the griffons...

When Dusty called him over, Dunder answered. The pony was onto something, the griffons were calling the shots and the diamond dogs were being used as brawn. Revolt was in order, and it'd be a mutual benefit for the diamond dogs and the ponies against the wicked griffons. "I agree. These diamond dogs are fickle... they're also basic in the head. We promise everything they want and they will help us. these diamond dogs are not being supervised and have many more soldiers and heavier weapons than the griffons, they obviously have either the griffons trust, or the griffons think they can handle against the diamond dogs. Our best bet is to turn the dogs against the griffons, in the confusion we escape. We need to plant the seeds, we can't force it to grow, these dogs are simple and the griffons have the advantage on their heads." Dunder said and looked around before picking up a pickaxe, "Everypony break, we need to look like we are working, near the diamond dogs and talk loudly enough to plant the seeds in the dogs' heads." He said before trotting off towards a mineral deposit near the guard's post.

The two guards that were there listening to Muggo' and Winter. They didn't try to look like they were listening, but shuffling of the feet and eye contact made it too obvious. They exchanged a few quick words before returning to their guard stance. One said, "the griffons are strong, and they promise us money if they organize our mines." One said, the other only looked at the guard who spoke up, then at Muggo. "What are you talking about?" The one who hadn't spoke up asked Winter.

Dusty nodded at Dunder's orders, looking around the caverns. Picking up a pickaxe awkwardly he began to wander around the cave, pausing every now and then to look like he was doing work. His real objective though was to learn his way around this place, The many branching tunnels provided myriad places to hide and disappear, which might prove vital during any escape attempts.

"It really seems to me like these gryphons managed to trick the diamond dogs." he said loudly. "The 'dogs could have had six tough strong workers, after all. What do the gryphons find for them?" He brought down the pickaxe for emphasis. "Four injured ponies."

Midnight had to smirk just slightly at what Dunder ordered; it was basically what she already had in mind. It was clearly their only ticket out of here in their condition, faced with what they were. She'd be more than happy to play along. Nodding, she retrieved her own pickax and trotted toward one of the cave walls near Dusty and began to pick away at the cave walls, while he spoke.

"Yes, that's exactly right," she said with a nod, putting her pick down for a moment. "It's kind of sad really. It's clear manipulation. They're being strung along like fools and the griffons are convinced they're too stupid to ever realize."

That said, she lifted her pickax again and began to work on the wall again, to her surprise, actually uncovering the tip of a gem. She chuckled slightly and just shook her head before continuing. She really hoped this ended up working.

"Griffons may be strong, but look at the muscles on ya! Celestia t'underin', b'y, ya could pop me head off with two fingers I'd bet." Muggo' said in a quiet voice, continuing to egg the Diamond Dog on. He smiled and nudged the guard gently. " 'sides, ya think they be payin' ya half what yer labour's worth? I'd bet me a case o' cider they're skimmin' from the profits an' givin' ya the bottom ' the barrel." he said, as Dunder laid out the plan. He smiled and patted the Diamond Dog and went to grab his own tool, letting the others speak as he took a few swings, the pickaxe rattling painfully against his fetlock with every swing.

"Pfft. It's the griffons who're the ones with an empty bucket behind the beak, if'n they think they can keep a bunch'a these Dogs as basically slaves. Who's the real fool here, aye?" he said out loud with a chuckle, addressing Midnight's statement.

"Griffons are outnumbered an' outmatched, an' they think they run the place. Thems be fools if I've ever seen 'em meself."

Winter stared at the ground contemplating their situation. The nearby guard dog seemed to be taking interest in his comments. He even decided to respond to Winter. Maybe he could convince the dog of something after all... "Oh, you know... Just the griffons, doing what they do best..." He responded to the dog, trying to keep him guessing. If he could get the dog to start thinking, he could possibly get him to start thinking for himself. He really did feel sorry for the dogs. They were getting manipulated so much and so easily by the griffons. "They are calling the shots here, of course. I don't think they are being very fair here at all... Making you all do the work while they kick back and enjoy themselves. I bet they don't even let you take breaks, you poor things. I am sorry for you, sir, I really am." He said to the diamond dog in a soft voice.

The griffons scratched their head and looked at each other. The ponies seemed right, even though the ponies shouldn't even be talking, but the ponies seemed to be speaking the truth.Why were they serving the griffons, and why were the griffons treating the dogs so badly? Were they getting treated badly? The ponies were making it seem so. They were exposing the true tyranny of the griffons, if they were being tyrannic. Anyway, the ponies were right, the griffons were weaker and outmatched.

Dunder didn't say anything, the other ponies seemed to be handling it pretty well. He only smirked as he smacked the wall with the pickaxe, chipping away at he rock. He thought of a plan, either run out the door or through the caves and try to find a way. His wing suddenly had a stinging pain where it was injured.

Just then, one of the griffons busted through the door. This was one of the six that hadn't been speaking. "What are you all doing? I hear too much talking and not enough pickaxe on rock." He said before grabbing the closest pony's pickaxe. and throwing it on the floor. "And what are you two idiots doing?!" He barked as he turned to face the Diamond dogs who were supposed to be standing guard. The diamond dogs didn't say anything. They just stood up straight and looked forward and took the verbal beating like they were used to.

Dunder stood there and looked and looked at the other ponies. He wasn't really in a position to do anything to provoke the griffon, he was within striking distance and could easilly be hurt fast.

Dusty was sure to keep his mouth shut, quietly watching the gryphon from a distance. True the foolish creature had singled himself out, and even in their injured state the adventurers could probably beat him. But that would ruin their plans. Even the slow witted guards would see through their words if they tried something like that. He stole a glance around at the other ponies, hoping they were thinking the same thing. The distrust and suspicion they'd planted in the 'dog's heads needed time to grow yet, and they still needed a way out; with Dunder's broken wing there was no way they could quickly escape the same route they'd gotten in.

He tried to make eye contact with the others, gesturing with a slight nod of his head toward the back end of the cave, preferably somewhere a bit out of sight where they could talk. He trotted slowly that way himself, taking every effort to look cowed and submissive.

Midnight listened to what was going on, but didn't turn from her work with the pickax. This one griffon had just made himself an easy target, but not for Midnight or any of the ponies for that matter. No, this was entirely about the Dogs now. If the four of them did anything themselves recklessly it would ruin them. She hoped that everypony realized that.

No, she was just going to mine the cave like she was supposed to. Her eyes focused in on the gem she had earlier uncovered. With a few strong swings of her axe, the glistening jewel was freed. It was a beautiful diamond, large, no major flaws. A real prize. Midnight smirked at it. She hadn't been sure at first if finding this worked in their favor, but after unearthing it she was convinced.

"Well, look at that," she said, holding up the prize piece so all could see, especially the diamond dogs. "It seems they're not wasting their time here. These caves must be rich in such wonderful stones to so readily produce such a specimen."

Midnight was pretty sure she had a good handle on how this operation worked. The griffons quite clearly had no qualms about taking advantage of the dogs. it went without saying then that they likely kept all the best stuff for themselves. The dogs were likely getting scraps. Certainly nothing like the thing Midnight was now holding. Generally speaking, diamond dogs weren't a species with an over abundance of pride; they could try to appeal to it all day, but pinpointing their greed might just be a considerably more effective. She supposed she'd just have to wait and see.

Muggo' grabbed his pickaxe once the griffons came in, pretending to get to work. He was able to get a few chunks of stone off the boulder next to him, but nothing of any note yet. Pity, he wanted to see if he could pocket one or two diamonds before they escaped. Would make for great artifacts for the bar...and maybe an extra couple hundred bits, too.

He had his pickaxe wrenched from him by a griffon and glared at him, debating giving this one a sore talon to match the other's, but decided against it. Instead he just grabbed his pick and waited for that griffon to wander a little further away before glancing at the diamond dog he'd been chatting up.

"See what I mean, b'y? Look at ya. Strong as an ox ya be, an' proud as a soldier in armour. So what are ya doin' takin' that from him? Stand up to him b'y, show him who's the real bosses around here." he whispered. He didn't know if anypony else had a plan, but instigating a riot probably wouldn't hurt. It would keep both parties distracted long enough for them to escape at least.

WInter flinched away from the griffon as he burst into the room. Winter took up a pickaxe and put on a facade, pretending nothing had just happened. He reasoned that if he pretends not to notice the angry griffon, the griffon shouldn't notice him. He took a swing at a nearby rock that jut out from the cave wall. It fell to the ground after only a few swings, leaving an empty space behind. Winter continued to pick at this section of the wall, finding nothing, but carrying on anyways. He wasn't aiming to find gems and jewels, he was aiming to look like he was working.

The diamond dogs wore a look of heavy uncertainty. The two dogs kept sneaking peeks at each other as if looking to the other for some direction. They didn't know what to do, disobey their long time masters or listen to the ponies who were clamoring for them to rise up. Usually the ponies who came into the mines were to tired or their morale shattered to really do anything to spark rebellion or do anything other than mine and eat and the occasional colt's room.

Though, they seemed to listen and let their eyes wander to Midnight and Muggo' as they spoke. The sight of the jewel... it was glorious. Dunder looked at Midnight and nodded at her, even though his face wore a look of tiredness and worry. He looked between her eyes and the gem, hoping she would stash it. They needed some loot, especially after the adventure went this downhill.

When Muggo' was just bout done speaking, the griffon stopped from insulting the diamond dogs. Instead he faced Muggo' seething with rage. "You, green pony! I should string you up by your tail until you forget how to use that tongue of yours!" He spat at Muggo. "Or maybe I'll break your good leg, oh wouldn't that be--" He was cut off from the shaft of a spear slamming against the side of his head.

Behind him, the diamond dog Muggo' had talked to was wielding the spear and stood there with no sign of remorse. "Thank you, ponies." He said as he looked at all of them, "We should have never listened to the griffons..." He told them. The other one didn't seem so certain, more like he was shocked but wasn't going to do anything against his diamond dog friend or the ponies. The diamond dogs who were outside the doors even walked inside to check out what was going on, for some reason they seemed to understand too.

Meanwhile, the griffon was crawling away before rolling onto his back. He closed his eyes and let out a whistle that was ear-piercingly loud especially in the small cave. He let out a cry in a foreign language before one of the diamond dogs face the door, spears at the ready. Almost instantly, the other five griffons were at the doorway to the mines. "What's going on here?!" She asked. She looked furious. "You ponies and dogs better get back to work before we send you all into the pit!"

Dusty tried very hard not to grin broadly as one of the 'dogs made the first move. "They just wanted to take advantage of you 'dogs." he said, keeping his distance from the gryphons as they burst in. He had really hoped that this fight wouldn't take place right here, but an opportunity was an opportunity. It was unlikely they'd get another chance at this.

"You!" he shouted to one of the dogs run, tell your pack what's happening!" he said, looking around to the other ponies, nodding over his shoulder a bit, trying to gesture that they should, for now at least, retreat a little deeper into the mine. It would do them no good if when fighting broke out they were caught in the middle of it.

((ooc: sorry for the slight hold up. Kinda forgot it was my turn for a moment))

Midnight nodded in approval. Perfect. They had pushed just the right buttons and the dogs had made their move. She caught Dunder's nod at her gem. Did he want the thing? She supposed she'd go ahead and pocket it. Just as she did so, the other griffons arrived on the scene and looked none to pleased. Midnight figured it was time to make a move. She jumped toward them, eyeing the disrespectful female griffon with disdain.

"I'd like to see you try that," she said, smirking a little.

She continued, "I don't know what this pit is, but it sounds like a pretty nasty place. Perhaps it would be a good place for a pack of conniving griffons intent on mistreating and underpaying their help."

Muggo' Ale's mouth turned up in a mischievous smirk as the other griffons entered the room. "Oh, we just had a few complaints 'bout the workin' environment in here." he said simply, hoofing at a rock near to him. "It's dark, a little on the cramped side, an' ya got these fallin' rocks..." he kicked the rock toward one of the griffons, bouncing it off the creature's forehead.

"An' the diamond dog's, well they ain't a bit happy 'bout this either, b'y. All together we got more o' us than ya got of ya. So, ya wanna toss down yer arms, or we goin' to have to break 'em?" he asked, grinning and trotting to stand facing the lead griffon, hoping his companions would form up and hopefully try and intimidate the griffons into surrendering. If not, they'd have a fight on their hooves.

That was okay. Muggo' had kinda always wanted to start a riot.

Winter sunk back farther into the caves away from the griffons and the rest of his group. The farther he was from the middle of this, the better things would turn out... Hopefully. He got ready to speak before he realized there wasn't much he could add. The griffons were going down, one way or another... Maybe it would be kind to let them know. "I think you should listen to them, griffons. We could always clip your wings BEFORE we put you into the pit! Go out calmly and you might be allowed to escape with just a warning..." Winter hoped he could sound sure of himself and confident. With the dogs on their side and the griffons massively outnumbered, there wasn't much they could do to fight back. It would be best for everyone if they didn't. If every pony was loud and sounded strong, the griffons were probably more likely to back down and give up.

The griffons were not at all happy by the pony's of the diamond dog's behavior. The female griffon seemed to calm down, after taking a few deep breaths. She said something in another language, the words sounding cool and calm from her mouth. The other griffons didn't say anything, they just looked at her, got on their hind legs, and drew their swords while stepping in front of her. "Dogs," She said, "Go ahead and riot! Rebel! These ponies know about your lives much more than us, your caretakers who have cared and payed and given you shelter and leadership." She said.

Before she started talking, Dunder hoped he was wrong about where this was going. He rounded up the other ponies quickly. "We need to get out of here, now." He said simply. "She might turn the tables, we need to get out of here before we have dogs and Griffons on us. If you mined anything, take it and stash it. We're definitely not leaving empty hooved." He told the other ponies, checking over his shoulder.

Dusty listened to the female gryphon, quite clearly their leader as she spoke up. It seemed like she was trying to turn things back in their favor, to intimidate the dogs back into submissiveness. With the gryphons standing side by side like that he couldn't get a clear look at the dogs, to see what was going through their heads.

He hadn't gotten too much while he was aimlessly poking at the ground with his pickaxe, a few small gemstones but that was it. Dunder was right though, they did need to get out as soon as possible. On a whim he decided to tuck the pickaxe into his vest, using a couple of straps that were better suited for a map tube. still, it might come in handy.

"Dunder, I can get us back out the way we came in," he said quietly to the fellow pegasus. "I don't think we can make it back up that shaft though. I... Maybe I could try and find a way up, but it'd be pushing our luck..." he stated Navigation was supposed to be his talent, but under the current circumstances it was rather frustrating; if he knew the caves at all, or could even just figure out how the 'dogs navigated around then he was sure he'd have it. The frustration and concern showed on his face as he looked around the mines.

"Whats your call?"

Midnight responded to Dunder's call instantly. The large diamond safely in her cloak, she jumped toward the corner of the cave where their weapons had been taken, finding her blades and arming herself. Eyeing the griffons down ready to strike if they made any moves she didn't like, she backed away quickly.

Dusty's concerns were right though. How exactly were they going to get out of here. The way they came wasn't going to work wit one pegasus down a wing and another recently concussed and probably not in the best general shape. Dusty could still fly fine, but he wasn't going to be able to lift a large earth pony like Muggo' out of here, much less all of them. There had to be another way out. Some kind of easy exit the dogs used, as they certainly didn't fly up the shaft when they wanted to get to the surface.

"I don't think that route's going to work," she started, moving toward Dusty. "We need to take a chance on finding a new way out and hope we're lucky enough to stumble upon something that works."

Muggo' backed up to meet with the rest of his group, still facing the griffons. The other ponies were hashing out a plan while he was trying to think of one himself. He had an idea...but if it didn't work, they'd be trapped. He edged closer to Dunder and pointed a bit with his hoof at the door the griffons had burst through.

"Would take a lot o' kit an' grub to keep an outfit like this a workin', an' I'd put a whole bag o' bits down that they don't lower it down the hole." he mumbled to his friend. "If we can get a fight a brewin' between the two, we might be able to get in to that door in the chaos', an' look 'round for a back entrance." he offered. It wouldn't be that hard to egg the griffons into a fight...just throw a rock or something from within a group of diamond dogs to one of the more hot-headed of the group, and it would be simple as that. However, should the plan fail and the fight be over too fast, or the door prove to not lead to any back entrance or other way out, they would quickly get boxed in and re-captured. Still, it was worth a shot, and better than retreating deeper into the caves in his mind.

"What says ya, b'y?" he asked. Dunder was, after all, the leader of this little expedition of theirs.

Winter turned his head back and forth between his companions as they each said their own plans and how to best achieve the thing they all wanted most, freedom. Trying to go back out the way they had come in sounded extremely difficult. That hole he had made with his... body... was certainly difficult to reach, especially with most of them not being able to fly. Trying to find a new way out also sounded hard to him. The tunnels were sure to be an labyrinth of interconnecting navigational nightmares. However, Dusty might be able to navigate it... He decided to keep quiet in the matter, not wanting to mess up their chances of escape.