Magic the Gathering Libraries(decks) discussion

Oh, haven't played MTG since last year. Lets see what i got on hand....

Oh a fun one!!!

Deck Name: Honor in Battle

Colors: Green/Blue/White

Format: Casual

Lands 25

Seaside Citadel x4

Plains x3

Island

Halimar Depths x2

Forest x3

Mystic Gate x2

Wooded Bastion x2

Brushland x3

Yavimaya Coast x2

Flooded Grove x2

Creature Spells

Noble Hierarchy x4

Shorecrasher Mimic x4 (my favorite common creature)

Rhox War Monk x4

Stoic Angel x4

Rafiq of the Many x3

Murkfiend Liege x4

Spells

Finest Hour x2

Angelic Benediction x2

Oblivion Ring x4

Bant Charm x4

Snake Form x4

Good times, good times.

Parallel Lives would be nice alternative in case that Wand would be taken care of. Be wary thought for Ratchet Bomb still can wipe your side of the board. Maybe Mr. Wildspeaker or Primal Hunter? Both are alternative win-cons and hate magnets which can provide vital against burn. One gives a nice ramp and second a very needed draw, both produce tockens. Vitality Charm may lack reusability but provide a nice options in case you would feel need switching to offense.

Other fun ideas are Cobra Trap, Baloth Cage Trap, Beastmaster Ascesion, Bestial Menace,Beast Within, Beacon of Creation, Isochron Scepter (may be hard as it is much sought card) and in case all fails classic Fog.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about parallel lives. I do have a playset. Also, Baloth Cage Trap flew under my radar. It fits pretty nicely, even if I never get to pay the trap price. And I am not as big a fan of sprout swarm as I thought I would be. Four is too many. Beacon of Creation is a wonderful card, and fits the deck perfectly, but I don't own any yet. I'm not sure they are worth $2.50 each to me. Currently, nothing in the deck can be imprinted on the isochron scepter except the sprout swarm. I have two of them, but I would have to do a lot of tweaking to fit it. And tapping the scepter won't trigger the wands. I think I will track down my Garruk too.

Great suggestions!

Great suggestions!

Naah don't mention it.

Searching in the Gatherer I found few more propositions actually. Since you play green which has acces to land search why not have fun with non basics?

Boseiju, Who Shalters All is a great toll agains control. Since this deck have so many sorcceries and instant it can provide invaluable. Gaea's Crandle is just broken in token deck but I assume it being out of reach.

Gargoyle Castle while having expensive ability is just fun when combined with Lives. God's Eye, Gate to Reikai is similiar and worth swaping when facing LD decks.

Ghost Quarter can be usefull agains these pesky Nexus decks. Homeward Path protects from mind control and other corresponding effects (Tibalt ultimate for exemple).

Khalani Garden produces tocken when it enters a battlefield.

Maze of Ith, 'Mikokoro, Center of the Sea' , Mosswort Bridge , Mystifing Maze, 'Oran-Rief, the Vastwood' , Pendelhaven, Reliquary Tower (not so important but have no drawbacks), Sapseed Forest, Temple of the False God, Terrain Generator, Treetop Villange, Urza's Factory (I know, expensive - but hay! Its repetitive) take you pick.

Also there is one creature I suggest playing to support token generation production. One of my favorites - Rhys the Redeemed ,who is just EVIL with tokens...and counting Parralel <shudder>. He's cheap too (mana wise).

I myself are dedicated U/W player and fan of artifact usage. What is my favorite card you can guess <chuckle> but he works wonders with Mulldrifter, Cloudshift and Fiend Hunter.

I myself are dedicated U/W player and fan of artifact usage. What is my favorite card you can guess <chuckle> but he works wonders with Mulldrifter, Cloudshift and Fiend Hunter.

I'm going to guess Venser?

I'd love to have a Rhys the Redeemed. Fun card.

I seem to have forgotten my manabase...

Right now it is 19 Forests and a Pendlehaven. I should probably add one of my strip mines and an Urza's Factory. I keep forgetting about Temple of the False God too. I'll pick up a couple since they are powerful and cheap. Currently the only lands that come into play tapped that I consider using are the Ravnica bounce lands, and the Shards triple lands. I sold my Maze of Ith because I hated using my land drop on a land that didn't produce mana. And because I could buy lots of fun cards with the $30 I got for a card in terrible condition.

Edit: I forgot why it was almost completely forests. The Howl of the Nightpack keys on forests, so I don't want to add that many non-basics.

Edit: I forgot why it was almost completely forests. The Howl of the Nightpack keys on forests, so I don't want to add that many non-basics.

Now you mentioned this I can see it too. Silly me. Another good addition would be Skullclamp but I guess it's overkill.

I'm going to guess Venser?

Why, of course! I like him for the fact that he needs deck build around him (kinda like Tezzeret - another one of my favourites). He does not fight war alone like Chandra and you can't take him into any deck like Jace 2.0 and expect to win. Also newcomer Tamiyo picked my interest but I don't own her yet and she shares 5 CMC slot with Venser.

....I not need to say that killing him in Quest for Karn made me quite angry ( And explanation for this - Suddenly DRUGS - grrrr....).

Another good addition would be Skullclamp but I guess it's overkill.

I have four skullclamps, but I don't like how easy they are to abuse. I enjoy them in moderation, and I usually have about three decks or so that have it as a singleton. My fourth came from a collection, and it is in terrible condition. I let it sit under a pile of books for two weeks, and it still isn't flat. I am comfortable putting one in this deck. For a similar reason, I don't put more than one or two Swords to Plowshares in a deck, even though I have 12, because I feel guilty maxing out such a powerful card that white should not have access to.

Ok, it's time for my deck. As one can guess, it's U/W and it's gives lots of fun to play.

(1)Cloudshift x 4, Brainstorm x 4

(2)Mycosynth Wellspring x 3, Sundial of the Infinite x 3 ,Counterspell x 2

(3)Ghostly Flicker x 3, Oblivion Ring x 4 , Jace Beleren x 1

(4)Stonehorn Dignitary x 4 , Quash x 4

(5)Mulldrifter x2 , Venser the Sojourner x 2, Tezzeret Gambit x 2

(6)Frost Titan x 2

(7)Karn Liberated

Mystifying Maze x 3

Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

Reliquary Tower x 2

Island x 6

Plains x 7

Still I think it can be...improved somewhat. Any ideas?

There are lots of interactions in this deck, and it is not easy to evaluate. However, I have a few misgivings. Maybe they are nothing...

Do you like having 4 cloudshifts even though you only have eight targets?

How often do you miss land drops with only 19 lands and 3 wellsprings?

How often do you have a quash in hand and wish it were a counterspell or a mana leak?

How often are you above 7 cards?

How often do you have trouble casting the spells of two specific mana?

What does sundial of the infinite do in this deck? Usually it is used in flicker decks when you can flicker opponent's stuff to stop them from coming back, but I don't see any flicker spells that target opponent's stuff.

If you don't draw any stonehorn dignitarys, how can you win?

Hmm you have many good points there. I found out Quash being invaluable with burn being one of my consistent opponents but i guess I can part with one.

I was sure that there was Glimmerpoint Stag there! I will remove Sundials as it was suggested even throught they HAVE interaction (With Maze) and exchange it for one more Wellspring/Jace and additional Conterspells. Also I will swap Towers for Shelldock Isle, Vivid Creek or something similiar. With Ghostly Flicker land drop is rarly a problem. Cloudshift is used more often then not, both as EtB trgger and kind of "counter" agains any nasty stuff. I don't really wish to put any more white cards in as it would make dack a too White heavy (still...Dawn Charm would be nice).

I guess that improved decklist would lokk something like this

(2)Mycosynth Wellspring x 4,Counterspell x 4

(3)Ghostly Flicker x 3, Oblivion Ring x 4 , Jace Beleren x 2

(4)Stonehorn Dignitary x 4 , Quash x 3

(5)Mulldrifter x2 , Venser the Sojourner x 2, Tezzeret Gambit x 2

(6)Frost Titan x 2

(7)Karn Liberated

Mystifying Maze x 3

Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

Vivid Creek/ Shelldock Isle x 2

Island x 6

Plains x 7

Hmm you have many good points there. I found out Quash being invaluable with burn being one of my consistent opponents but i guess I can part with one.

I was sure that there was Glimmerpoint Stag there! I will remove Sundials as it was suggested even throught they HAVE interaction (With Maze) and exchange it for one more Wellspring/Jace and additional Conterspells. Also I will swap Towers for Shelldock Isle, Vivid Creek or something similiar. With Ghostly Flicker land drop is rarly a problem. Cloudshift is used more often then not, both as EtB trgger and kind of "counter" agains any nasty stuff. I don't really wish to put any more white cards in as it would make dack a too White heavy (still...Dawn Charm would be nice).

The sundials do not even interact with the mazes, since the mazes are on your opponent's turn, and the sundials are only on yours.

But now that I look at it, I see the combo with Venser and Oblivion Ring. Still, I would keep them out.

I'm pretty concerned about your manabase. 19 land is very low, even with the wellsprings. Heck, even elf decks run at least 20 in general.

Vivid Creek is not a good card...at least in comparison to the other things you can get four of for a dollar. Sejiri Refuge is pretty crappy, and it is way better than vivid creek in a U/W deck. If you are unable to get your hands on strong dual lands, like Glacial Fortress or Hallowed Fountain, at least put some dual lands in that are better than vivid creek. Shelldock Isle is not good here either. When your primary concern is to survive aggro or burn, a land that doesn't fix your mana, comes into play tapped, and has an ability you will only get to use if you are already winning is not helpful.

If I had severe budget constraints, I might play these 24 lands:

4xSejiri Refuge

9xIsland, 1xOboro

7xPlains

3xMaze

And I would take out the Wellsprings since they prevent the turn two counterspell, cost mana to replace themselves, and don't accelerate you. They combo with the flicker, but are just too unwieldy.

But the question is, do you want to counter stuff on the turn after your second turn? If yes, mana leak is going to be way easier to cast. If no, then perhaps an artifact that accelerates your mana?

This seems like a classic deck for Wrath effects. You have no creatures that cost less than four. If you have a dignitary out, you already have the advantage. If you don't have a dignitary, Wrath will probably be card advantage. What do you think about blinding angel?

Tested it. 21 Lands are fine. I have both Fountains and Fortress playset. Removed all Wellsprings, one Quash and one Ghostly Flicker. Added Eiganjo Castle in place of one Plains. Added two more Lands, Venser, Shaper Savant, Linvala, Keeper of Silence and two Lotus Bloom.

I know I could add Wrath but it's just the thing that I don't want to.Still I will put it into sideboard I guess just in case. Getting Stonehorn is easy. I have Jace, Brainstorm, Gambit and Mulldrifter. Blinding is nice but she's kinda useless without the Sojourner and with all the hate for Flyers in my playgroup I would rather add Gideon.

To sum it up then now final decklist.

(0)Lotus Bloom x 2

(2)Counterspell x 4

(3)Ghostly Flicker x 2, Oblivion Ring x 4 , Jace Beleren x 2

(4)Stonehorn Dignitary x 4 , Quash x 2, Venser, Shaper Savant x 1 , Linvala, Keeper of Silence x 1, Tezzeret Gambit x 2

(5)Mulldrifter x2 , Venser the Sojourner x 2

(6)Frost Titan x 2

(7)Karn Liberated

Mystifying Maze x 3

Oboro, Palace in the Clouds x 1

Eiganjo Castle x 1

Glacial Fortress x 4

Hallowed Fountain x 4

Island x 4

Plains x 4

Sideboard:

Ghostly Flicker x 1

Wrath of God x 3

Gideon Jura x 1

Quash x 2

Frozen Aether x 2

Wall of Omens x 3

Wall of Denial x 3

Thanks for the help weesh. I look forward to return the favour in the future.

No problem, it does look like a fun deck. Also, the gambit only costs 4 : )

I've got another deck that sometimes explodes, and sometimes limps along. The best I ever did was attack with a 19/19 trampling feral hydra on turn 4, and it I hadn't missed my fourth land drop, it would have been 20/20. Everyone resigned at this point since it was likely going to be a 33/33 trampler the next turn.

Name: Heartstone Theme

Colors: GR

(L)12xForest, 8xMountain

(1)4xArbor Elf, 4xUtopia Sprawl

(2)4xSoulbright Flamekin, 2xJade Mage, 2xAshling the Pilgram, 2xNaturalize, 1xBack to Nature

(X)4xFeral Hydra

(3)4xHeartstone, 2xTrophy Hunter, 1xInner-Flame Igniter

(4)4xLord of Shatterskull Pass, 2xObsidian Fireheart

(5+)3xKumano Master Yamabushi, 1xDesert Twister

I can also be attacking with a fully leveled-up Lord of Shatterskull pass by turn 4, but I haven't pulled that off yet.

Somehow, my friends aren't afraid of Soulbright Flamekin yet. I have no idea how they survive long enough to destroy everyone at the table. You would think that a 2CMC card that makes 5 mana would be scary, but whatever. I'd like the deck to be less dependent on them though. Also, there are a huge number of mana sources (32/60) so late game I am frustrated if I have nothing to use it on.

So, that Ninja deck I posted some time back. Well, I'm upgrading it. Why? Because Placechase: Night of the Ninja came out yesterday and Celestia-damn it, I liked Kamigawa! So, I gots me some rares to put in, along with some tech. What's going where?

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-news/planechase-decklists-night-of-the-ninja/

I personally am thrilled to finally have a copy of Ink-Eyes. She alone is worth ten bucks, where the deck itself costs twenty-five.

Oh yeah! I remember that now! They have done some fun stuff with planechase, and I've enjoyed one of the special variants that my friends have adapted.

Its called "The Stack". We made a 5 color singleton deck of about 1500 cards, and no lands. Also, we tried to fill every slot with something on the strong side of the bell curve. Everyone starts with 7 cards, and then during your turn, you either draw a basic land of your choice, or a card from the stack. Now, it turns out that while this is a lot of fun, you end up with lots of left-over mana over the course of the game. So we threw in every planechase card that didn't mess up the format. We made it a while back so we didn't have access to the new planechase stuff. Wow did that make it worth while! I'm not going to post the deck list...

I once had a mossbridge troll AND a pestilence demon out (so when I played a third creature, I could swing for 25!), killed every other creature in play, and still lost! Its a pretty swingy format!

No problem, it does look like a fun deck. Also, the gambit only costs 4 : )

I've got another deck that sometimes explodes, and sometimes limps along. The best I ever did was attack with a 19/19 trampling feral hydra on turn 4, and it I hadn't missed my fourth land drop, it would have been 20/20. Everyone resigned at this point since it was likely going to be a 33/33 trampler the next turn.

Name: Heartstone Theme

Colors: GR

(L)12xForest, 8xMountain

(1)4xArbor Elf, 4xUtopia Sprawl

(2)4xSoulbright Flamekin, 2xJade Mage, 2xAshling the Pilgram, 2xNaturalize, 1xBack to Nature

(X)4xFeral Hydra

(3)4xHeartstone, 2xTrophy Hunter, 1xInner-Flame Igniter

(4)4xLord of Shatterskull Pass, 2xObsidian Fireheart

(5+)3xKumano Master Yamabushi, 1xDesert Twister

I have some ideas just looking at the deck. First, Apocalypse Hydra just begs to be putted there. With all the mana sources it can grow to titanic sizes late game. Maybe Sarkhan Vol? It's true that most of this creatures don't really need haste, but repetitive Threaten and Fires of Yavimaya and of course Mass Dragonic Doom when he hits the clock. If flyers is the problem then Arashi, the Sky Asunder can be some help? Channel can't be countered by usual means and since it's ability it may be supported by Heartsone (I not sure to tell the truth). If it's the ground then it's both Jiwari, the Earth Aflame and Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, the secon one is great against swarm. Speaking of swarm - Ant Queen can be nice. You have Kumano and Ashling - combo them with Kamahl, Fist of Krosa for some mass land destruction! Also Kamahl is repetetive Overrun for 3G in right circumstances, that alone is very strong.

Looking on Elemntals, we have Omnath, 'Tyrant of Discord' and Malignus. Except Omnath the do not support the ability theme. Hovewer there are nice dragons that does - Shivan Hellkite and Flameblast Dragon.

Heartstone does not combo with channel.

I like a lot of those cards for this list, especially Apocalypse Hydra and Sarkan Vol, but with the exception of Ant Queen, and Kazuul, I don't own any yet. Also, note that Ant queen used to be in the deck, and Jade mage took it's place. It is working just a shade better.

What would you take out to make room?

I gonna write assuming that you will get these cards in the future even if you don't own them yet weesh.

I would remove one Lord of Shatterskull I guess, even if you manage to power him up to max immidiately he still needs haste so swaping for Sarkhan can be good. If you would add Khamahl it's either him or Obsidian - they don't mix well. Isn't that extra Kumano is not too much, he's Legendary after all? For other things one Feral for Apocalypse. Also Basilisk Collar might help Kumano, Trophy Hunter and Ashling and it grants extra survivability (and with Ashling it is board wipe and mass life gain). Also I don't like Desert Twister - too expensive - maybe Beast Within instead? 3/3 is not much of a threat and lower cost and instant speed are worth it in my book.

I gonna write assuming that you will get these cards in the future even if you don't own them yet weesh.

I would remove one Lord of Shatterskull I guess, even if you manage to power him up to max immidiately he still needs haste so swaping for Sarkhan can be good. If you would add Khamahl it's either him or Obsidian - they don't mix well. Isn't that extra Kumano is not too much, he's Legendary after all? For other things one Feral for Apocalypse. Also Basilisk Collar might help Kumano, Trophy Hunter and Ashling and it grants extra survivability (and with Ashling it is board wipe and mass life gain). Also I don't like Desert Twister - too expensive - maybe Beast Within instead? 3/3 is not much of a threat and lower cost and instant speed are worth it in my book.

Yeah, I think I can stand to lose a Lord of Shattershull pass or two. Its nice to have him with one level counter, then to come out of nowhere with five more. He doesn't need haste in that circumstance, and he is often a 6/6 for 3RR. I love having three Kumanos though. The cool thing about Kumano is that if you have one in play with a heartstone, the best thing you can do is use all your mana to burn the world away. It is so powerful, that EVERYTHING is stuck in your hand while you play it out. So I never feel bad about having another of him. Between the Obsidian and Khamahl in multiplayer, I pick the Obsidian. I love sitting back with two or three counters to throw, and wait for someone to take a swing at me. Then the counters definitely go to that person...otherwise I spread them evenly. This is amazing defense in the political arena. Sure you can kill me, but can you survive the others when I am dealing 2-4 additional damage to you every turn after I am dead? If I did more dueling, the Khamahl would probably be much better. This deck is pretty well equipped to deal with 3/3s, I should pick up some Beast Withins.

Well this thread looks like it could be helpful, so if you don't mind my posting.

This was the first pre-made deck I ever got, and has been made over so many times, and this is the end result.

Name: Draw/Scry

Colors: Blue,White

(L) 13xIslands, 7xPlains

(1) 2xSaving Grasp, 1xPreordain, 1xCuriosity.

(2) 4xOculus, 3xAugury Owl, 1xRuned Servitor, 1xSage Owl. (X) 1xMind Spring

(3) 1xJar of Eyeballs, 1xCrystal Ball (X) 2xBlue Sun's Zenith.

(4) 2xStonehorn Dignitary, 4xVivisection, 3xImpaler Shrike, 1xOtherworld Atlas, 1xPhyrexian Metamorph, 2xForesee.

(5) 4xPsychosis Crawler, 1xBorder Patrol, 1xSturmgeist, 1xSiege Mastodon, 1xSerra Angel, 1xVenser's Journal.

My one hope for this deck is to scrap the Runed Servitor and pick up a Rite of Replication.

Any suggestions? It's not to fast... but in a free for all with 3+ players, or late game, it's quite powerful, if I do say so myself.

So it basically revolves around getting out as many psychosis crawlers out as possible, and then drawing a ton of cards? Fun!

Since you seem to play in a slow, powerful metagame, have you considered Mind Unbound? Could be a crazy finisher!

I'm not sure white is pulling its weight in this deck. The dignitarys are cool, and serra angel is good, but perhaps you can do better with access to white?

If you wanted to stick with white, consider "Wall of Omens" which is both card draw and early defense. Also, I like "Guardian Seraph" better than Serra Angel in this case because it does a lot of heavy lifting on defense, and is still a potent offensive threat. Wall of Denial seems to fit your deck too. I'm not a huge fan of crystal ball here because you have so much draw function that it should not improve your card quality much, AND it is card quantity disadvantage.

Have you ever considered adding green instead of white? Green could accelerate you, and you would gain access to the other card drawing color.

Well this thread looks like it could be helpful, so if you don't mind my posting.

This was the first pre-made deck I ever got, and has been made over so many times, and this is the end result.

Name: Draw/Scry

Colors: Blue,White

(L) 13xIslands, 7xPlains

(1) 2xSaving Grasp, 1xPreordain, 1xCuriosity.

(2) 4xOculus, 3xAugury Owl, 1xRuned Servitor, 1xSage Owl. (X) 1xMind Spring

(3) 1xJar of Eyeballs, 1xCrystal Ball (X) 2xBlue Sun's Zenith.

(4) 2xStonehorn Dignitary, 4xVivisection, 3xImpaler Shrike, 1xOtherworld Atlas, 1xPhyrexian Metamorph, 2xForesee.

(5) 4xPsychosis Crawler, 1xBorder Patrol, 1xSturmgeist, 1xSiege Mastodon, 1xSerra Angel, 1xVenser's Journal.

My one hope for this deck is to scrap the Runed Servitor and pick up a Rite of Replication.

Any suggestions? It's not to fast... but in a free for all with 3+ players, or late game, it's quite powerful, if I do say so myself.

I don't like either Border Patrol nor Mastodon. Weesh have good sugestion about Wall of Omens. I myslef thought would pick Ghostly Prision whitch is amazing in multiplayer. Also - Brainstorm, definitly Brainstorm.

Meishin, the Mind Cage can stop offense dead.

About creatures - Jushi Apprentice (whitch flips into mighty Tomoya), Aracanis, the Omnipotent, Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar , Slith Strider. Also any Jace would fit. Speaking of Jace Erasure can mill opponents easly with that munch of draw.