[PM for Invite] [Manehattan] Of Magic And More

Spellbound wandered the streets of Manehattan aimlessly. He had tried performing a show, but it would seem that no ponies in the area were interested. But the unicorn was able to brush it off. He didn't need them. No, Bound felt that he was better than those "fools" of ponies. He was stronger, more powerful! But, of course, the unicorn was able to recognize a failure when he saw one. Even his ignorance didn't overshadow that ability. But, alas, Bound was not the one creating attention. He wasn't the center of it. Ack! No one would be able to recognize his power! How could he rise to the level of the feared Nightmare Moon without even being known? He took a seat on an empty bench while pondering this. The streets were fairly empty tonight, with the exception of a few passing ponies who looked onto him with either confusion or pity. But Bound was lost in thought. He wasn't thinking of the workd around him. His mind was elsewhere, pondering on the subjects of magic and power. As the night grew deeper, he found himself alone on the dark streets of Manehattan. All alone on the cold bench, the unicorn continued his journey through his mind.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was she even here? That was the thought firmest in her mind as Arcana trotted through Manehatten's streets by moonlight. What had drawn her to this city? It didn't suit her. It was a young city, quintessentially modern. It lacked elegance and more importantly it lacked history. Canterlot's storied existence could be traced back to even before Celestia stood at her lofty perch, ruling over them. Stalliongrad, Trottingham, Baltimare, and even the pegasus cloud city were all rife with tradition and culture. Manehatten on the other hand, had expanded at such a quick rate to such a significant size, that something in it all was lost. For a seeker of ancient secrets such as Arcana, even in its business and expanse, it seemed empty.

There were always surprised though. When enough ponies are brought together, one is certain to end up with at least one in the crowd who knows a little more than one might expect. Arcana supposed that was the reason she had. This city had more ponies than just about anywhere else. It had to have somepony who might be privy to the sorts of magics she so desperately sought. Even Fillydelphia, a similarly useless town, had had that fool Lexis and his impressive little collection. The only problem Arcana had is that she was wandering blind. An interesting pony might exist in this town, but she didn't know where to even look.

Passing by a small park, Arcana spied a unicorn on a bench. With his top hat and cutie mark, Arcana recognized him as some manner of stage magician. How base and classless. Is that what passed for magic in a town like this, hack showmanship, trickery and sleight of hand? All flash and spectacle with no substance? Is this what magic had been reduced to under Celestia's stagnant reign? Had the proud unicorns who once raised and lowered the sun each day at their own accord really sunk so low? Arcana couldn't help but feel angered. She couldn't just pass this stranger by.

"I take it from your mark and hat that you have the gall to call yourself a magician?" Arcana said, her voice laced with quiet indignation. "Do you have any semblance of understanding of the rich history of magicians that you now claim to represent?"

Lucky had just won a card game against some poor suckers that did not check him for the aces that helped him win and now was walking home when he saw the two unicorns in the park and had heard the mares stinging remark

"ouch this oughta be good" he thought as he went behind a tree to watch and access the situation

For a minute, Bound didn't realize anyone was talking to him. Finally, he turned to see an interesting unicorn standing near the bench he was laid upon. He snickered, then without standing up, began to laugh loudly. Even though his train of thought had been broken, he had to admit that he wasn't prepared for quite a laugh.

"You're pulling my leg, aren't ye?" He spoke up, focusing on the mysterious mare before him. "I'd never consider someone myself, a dumb minded magician of the sort! Ha ha!"

He chuckled again, and pretended to wipe a tear from his eye.

"Bwa ha ha! Who in Equestria do ye think ye are calling me a simple minded magician? Never have I stooped that low in my life! Gah ha!"

Arcana was surprised by how boisterous the reply that came was. She wasn't sure why she was surprised after thinking about it-- stage magicians were all about pomp and arrogance-- but she was surprised all the same. She smirked, actually pleased with what she was hearing.

"I don't believe I said a word about your mental aptitude," Arcana started with a curt laugh. "'Dumb' and 'simple' I can only assume are self-applied terms for describing your mind."

"I merely asked if you understand the history and tradition of the art you endeavor to represent. I suppose your understanding is so limited that you don't even understand that though?" Arcana laughed and shook her head as if unamused.

"As for who I am, that's of no consequence to you. All you must know is that I am a true magician, one who respects the ancient secrets of magic that have been lost and wishes to have them restored to this stagnant world in all their majesty!" the dark pink unicorn added with some enthusiasm, her smile widening.

Lucky chuckled as they lashed at each other, who would win? the arrogant poser or the snobby elitist? Lucky thought as he pulled his lucky deck of cards out and started to shuffle them no reason just giving himself something to do as he continued to listen to the two.

Bound's laughter suddenly cut to a frown. His eyes squinted, trying to focus on whoever this unicorn was.

"A real magician?" he said in a sarcastic voice."I suppose ye deserve a medal...or even better, let me kiss ye hooves, let all of us. I'm sure that ye are just SO powerful!"

He rose from the bench, and began circling the unicorn slowly.

"Gah ha ha ha!" he laughed. "You must really be a force to be reckoned with!"

Arcana's eyes narrowed to a sharp glare. This ignorant knave that the nerve to mock her openly? She would never stand for that!

"Oh? You mock my power so brazenly? Is that some manner of challenge?" Arcana started with a forceful laugh. "You mean to infer that you are the superior magician?"

"Oh how I would love to see you prove it!" The gray-maned unicorn smirked. "I have nothing but confidence I could best you at any form of magic you could name!"

"And there ye go, making ye assumptions about me. Amusing. Really," Bound laughed. "Even I stumble, ye know. Stumble from me hooves. Gah!"

He stopped short and snickered at her.

"But your cold assumptions leave me in ze storm! Ack!"

He began to laugh again.

"Cold hearted assumptions! Oh, the irony of it all! Ha ha ha! Now stop talkin' from ye pretty little hooves and making ye assumptions."

Bound resumed his sitting position on the bench.

"Even I don't LOOK for arguments! But like ye, they seem to come to me naturally! Gah ha!"

Is this all this pony could think to say? She was making assumptions. Perhaps she was, but what of it? Had this fool any pride? He was a stallion wasn't he? How entirely pathetic.

"And you dance around my words like a impotent coward..." Arcana said, shaking her head. "I claim superiority and you dodge the question entirely. How utterly puerile."

"So what if I assume? I admit it, I do; who doesn't! For now I assume you are a powerless dolt, not worth a fraction of the time I have wasted on you this evening," Arcana said with a fierce smirk. "What say you to that?"

Just then, the sounds of very loud laughter could be heard from just nearby. Arcana turned her head, not sure what to make of it. "Who goes there?! Show yourself at once!"

Timid suddenly came out of hiding at the sound of Lucky's laughter. He was ready to fine him a piece of his mind about his behavior towards those two guardsmares after he exited his cell illegally during Timid's false imprisonment. He looked over and saw the Unicorns that were arguing and he froze in place, quivering, "D-d-don't hurt me... I was hiding from some meaner colts that were after my medallion...", he said quietly, his voice filled with fright.

On the outside, Bound remained as he had been previously. Angry. But on the inside, he sparked up. A medallion? Surely of certain value! He could make a fortune off of it! Ha ha! Money always quickens the pursuit for power! He looked to the unicorn in front off and have her an evil stare, then to the idiotic one laughing uncontrollably, and then to the one with the medallion.

"And who in Celestia's name are you?" he shouted out, not directing his question to any one specific pony.

Lucky tried to stifle as he got up knowing it did no good to hide

"i'm sorry but you two are hilarious." he said as he walked over still magically shuffling cards "my name is Lucky Chance simple gambler, rogue, and local statistician." he said looking at the two "what don't believe me well here is a sample, i am 95% sure that you two are full of hot air."

Bound snarled as be stepped back from Lucky.

"Hot Air? I'll show YOU hot air..." he barked. Then he looked over to that cold unicorn. Right. If he was to perform any magic, he had no doubt in his mind she would be the first one to criticze him. That was all he needed. Critiscm from a cold hearted, assuming unicorn like that. It was sure to make his night so much better.

Instead, he tried to regain his composure, but continued talking meanly to the pony before him.

"Lucky, is it? Ye best be leaving here now if ye know what's best for ye."

With this he snarled once again and turned his head away from him in arrogant protest.

Arcana frowned. At times she could truly be a magnet for pests. First she run into this ignorant magician who didn't know his place, now there was an obnoxious child on the scene as well as some inept ruffian with the gall to laugh in her face. Such nuisance!

The uncouth thug was the one who found her ire though. She stepped toward him, scowling. "You're so bold to propose that I boast?"

"I am a true scholar of lost magic. I shall have you know that I have made no bluff upon this evening!" Arcana gave an indignant huff. "If you insist on thinking otherwise, you will force me to prove it to you. I think you may not like the result!"

"More like a scholar of lost mind..." Bound quietly said to himself as he started to walk away slowly. Yeah, a scholar. What did she want? A medal? Surely she didn't want the attention of the crowd! That was to be reserved for someone of his standing. He grunted in the direction of both the self proclaimed magic scholar and odd thug as wiped a bit of dirt from his cape. These ponies have nothing on me! They don't recoginze the power of the Dark Mage, Bound! But this was all in his mind. Out loud, he was fairly quite, except for the occasional insult he muttered under his breath.

Timid took a few steps back and said, "I'm sorry if I interrupted anything important.". He was quite uncomfortable with all this conflict and it began to show as he shivered in fear.

The knave didn't seem intimidated by her threats, and the ignorant mage continued to mumble the infirm insults. Arcana had to show off a little now. That said, she couldn't take it too far. Hurting anypony was out of the question. It would draw too much attention to her. Ending up in some run down prison cells wouldn't serve her well. She could only take it so far.

"Behold the majesty of my dark magic flame!" Arcana started, at once, quite intent on showing she was not bluffing.

Her horn started to radiate with a black energy around it. Suddenly, from out of it a stream of black fire shot into the air. It grew and grew, becoming a massive spiral recalling her cutie mark. Arcana then brought the spiral closer and tighter together until it compacted into a singular black fireball. She lifted this upward steadily, until suddenly she had it explode into several smaller flames, all of which danced around everypony there for a spell before flying back toward Arcana, encircling her at increasing speeds for a time. Satisfied with her display, the unicorn then three her hoof forward and the flames all vanished at once.

"An extravagant enough display for you?" Arcana questioned, smirking. "Or do you need to see how well my flames can burn as well?"

Bound smiled wickedly. So, she liked to play with fire too. That was one of his main tricks of trade, and watching another pony, obviously lesser informed than himself, was just too much for him. The unicorn threw some grunts in the general direction of the scholar, and then coughed some insults under his breath. Continuing on, Bound watched in sarcastic unamazement as she continued on with her 'wonderful' tricks. Suddenly, the unicorn broke the near silence.

"So ye play with fire. So do I. Nothing less or more, of course," he laughed cryptically.

A red coated pegasus clad in steel armor slowly cantered her way towards the small group. At first, she kept quiet and studied the ponies. She watched the unicorn known as Arcana first. While unicorns were considered the weakest of the three pony species in physical abilities, the pegasus could not help but be impressed by the fierceness in her eyes, her manner of her speaking and how she carried herself. A pony such as her would never need a bodyguard. If any ruffian or blackguard came upon her with villainous intentions, the unicorn would probably have a powerful spell or even a dangerous glance to send the scoundrel packing.

She had planned on giving both the card playing pony and the nervous looking one, a good hard look, but changed her mind the moment she caught sight of the other unicorn. This was obviously the pony she heard boasting and bragging nearly a block away, and he fit the description that was given to her. His name was 'Spellbound', and while his name implied that he was a spell-caster of sorts, which could be said of all unicorns, he appeared to look more like an entertainer. Maybe he was the mare's lackey, or even an apprentice, but the tone that was set in their conversation was obviously not one of a trusted mentor and student, but of two rivals. After making sure his cutie mark was the same that was listed, she cleared her throat, and waited for an opportunity to insert her self into the conversation.

"Excuse me, Sir Spellbound?", she waited patiently for Spellbound to notice her, "I do apologize for my interruption.", her tone was professional, but polite, "I was hired by your father to keep a close eye on you, as he believes your life might by in some sort of danger.", she quickly nodded her head towards the other unicorn, "Madam.", she greeted the mare, "Do you a have a moment to talk? I just need to find out a few things about you, and then you can get on with whatever you were doing.", she smiled before adding, "And I am Fire Walker, member of the R.E.A, but currently on furlough.", the red mare wore a uniform similar to a member of the 'Royal Equestrian Army', but the armor lacked a badge on the breastplate and was black in color. She also wore a dark helm which covered most of her head.

Lucky raised an eyebrow at the display and the information about the other one. hmmm interesting but now is not the time to con the rich pony now was time to show off

"good job i am impressed now in trade i shall do my own tricks." with that his deeck of card suddenly dispersed in a exciteing display orbiting around him. going faster and faster till he was a blur in a tornado of cards the they suddenly stopped and floated to the ground but the green unicorn had vanished ... well to the Arcana at least as he had appeared behind her, quick as a flash he stole a peck on the cheek, (not to mention her coin purse) and backed away before she had a chance to retaliate and held up the coin purse mischievously "Ta-da" he said with a smirk

Spellbound sighed a bit, observing the mare closely. Father. The unicorn knew that returning home would never end well! And now look at what he had done! Hired a sitter for him! A sitter for the dark mage! What in Equestria did Father think Bound was? A foal? A, dare think of it, Gypsy? The unicorn shook his head and pardoned Fire Walker for a second.

"Fire...Fire Walker is it? Yes, yes indeed," he said a bit hestitantly. "How..who..."

In honesty, he was at a loss of words. Grunting a bit, he looked at the mare with mixed emotions.

"Just don't get in my way," was all he managed to say.

At the site of the REA unicorn, Timid gave a small fearful squeak. He still remembered the rough handling he had received when he was arrested by mistake. Every buck and punch used to subdue him when he hadn't resisted in the first place! He had every right to be afraid of the red unicorn named Fire Walker as he fled down an alleyway.