[PM for Invite] [Manehattan] Of Magic And More

"That might be a slight problem.", Fire Walker could not help but be a little distracted by Lucky's antics and the other pony's quick departure. Was Lucky flirting with the mare? A unicorn such as she would obviously laugh off such a pathetic attempt and reacquire her coin purse while teaching the foalish young stallion a hardy lesson or two. Still, she was not here to catch crooks or to chuckle at young ponies in love, she had a job to do! "I will keep only a steady watch, but I have been hired to keep you safe from harm. Either from outside forces, or even by your own hoof. I only have one question. Is there anypony, or any creature out there that might be out to harm you? Your father was very worried and he spared no expense when he hired me."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arcana glared at the other magician as he expressed how unimpressed he was at the display. In a low voice she started to speak, "You may excuse me, for I am not some tawdry prestidigitator who makes my way in selling ostentatious magic tricks to insipid riffraff. The flames I have displayed are in fact a weapon, and one that I may assure you I have full control of."

Arcana gave a huff as she said her piece; that's when the new pony arrived on the scene. Armor. Arcana froze up for a moment, feeling a momentary pang of fear. Had she spoken carelessly in earshot of an REA officer? That could be most troubling. Arcana had to be cautious.

"You say you are on furlough, and from your words also seem to be accepting freelance jobs for coin," Arcana said with a cold glare to the REA mare, her voice entirely steady. "How do I know you are still backed by authority or in fact ever were? As far as I can perceive I am in no way obligated to reveal unto you a word on the matter of anything!"

Arcana nodded. About this time, the gambler decided to show off his own little card trick. It was sleight of hand, but not in the way Arcana had expected. The pony teleported from behind an ever spinning vortex of his cards just as it was becoming opaque. He then appeared in Arcana's blindspot and snatched her bit purse and was even so brazen as to kiss her cheek. A simple trick, if well executed, as Arcana's inability to defend it was a sure indicator. She however could hardly call herself impressed.

"I know that in that pathetic little mind of yours you are convinced utterly in the superiority of your roguish charisma, but doesn't it speak to nothing short of insolence to try me in such fashions when I've already displayed the hand I hold?" Arcana started, trying to show how completely unimpressed she was with the little trick.

Lucky rolled his eyes at the mare the smirk still plastered on his face

"blah blah blah im so much better than you blah." he said in a mock falsetto. "here's your change back and for the record i kissed you so i could rub my brothers nose in it later." he said in his regular drawl throwing her purse back to her "he thinks he such the marekiller now i have one up on him."

Bound burst out laughing in a sort of wicked way.

"Lucky...." he was able to say under his muffled laughs, "Ye are an idiot!"

He started laughing quite loudly once again, this time almost in Lucky's face. Suddenly, his chuckles cut to silence however. His face regained the stern look from earlier, and he stepped back a bit. He look at the timid one and snarled a bit, and then to the cold unicorn.

"Bah! Ye still have proven NOTHING to me, Miss Scholar!" he mocked.

Bound continued on to turn back to Fire Walker,

his supposed guard. He shot her a weak smile. So maybe she would be helpful

"You are in no way obligated or required to tell me anything, unless you see fit to do so.", Fire Walker was all business, "But I would prefer it if you did not burn the city down.", she glanced down at the flames, "I will however try my best to stop you from harming my client's son, just as long as he does not continue to goad you into doing so.", she watched the unicorn teleport away before she turned her attention to the other unicorn who appeared to smirking at her.

"If I may ask, what is it that you do? Your father was not sure. He said he believed you were either a danseur or party entertainer.", she lied a little bit on that comment as the stallion's father actually said, 'Ballet Dancer or party clown', but she did not feel the need to rely his father's rather exact and insulting words. She was slightly annoyed that he continued to dodge her one question, but decided not to continue that line of questioning.

Arcana just shot the thieving gambler a glare as she took back her bit purse. "I hardly have the time to deal with such witless folly," she said with a shake of her head before looking instead to the other stallion.

"Perhaps not," she started with a laugh, stepping toward him. "Yet you mustn't be so dense as to realize that you have neither proven a thing to me, save that you are doubtless a fool, a blowhard and a coward."

Arcana laughed once more as she then turned to the pony in armor. She nodded. "Very well. You have all assurance that I mean no harm to this tedious city nor any of its irksome residents," she said in a low nod. "As for this poor specimen of a stallion you have had the undue misfortune of being saddled with, I mean upon him no injury save perhaps to what passes for his minuscule pride."

Bound was about ready to lose it as he bit his lip. Tensing up his muscles, he still refused to display any magic. However, his anger was soon to get the best of him.

"I am SpellBound, a Mage of sorts and trades! I travel around ze lands, in search of ze magic! Ze knowledge! Ze entertainment! I am none of ye proclaimed corner magicians!" the unicorn began to rant. "I am a skilled mage of ze dark arts!"

With this, he exhaled deeply and grunted. Unable to control his anger once again, he loudly muttered some insults.

Once his rant had finished, Bound's horn lit up in a dim grey color. From a nearby fountain, his magic "bended" the water into a circle which flowed repetitively around him. He did the same with more water, making sure they crossed perdicularly around him. Looking up, he smiled a bit as the water enclosed him a sphere. A couple of bright, different colored lights could be seen within the sphere, spinning in different directions. He cut his act short however, and sent the water back to the fountain. Breathing deeply, he looked at the unicorn across him her.

Almost mockingly, he told her, "There, 'scholar'. Some magic for ye entertainment. Not ze best for me, but it should be enough to..."

He cut himself short and finished the sentence in his mind, shut you up for a little bit.

Fire Walker nodded her head politely as the mare swore she would not burn either the city, nor her client's son to the ground, "You are most kind.", she turned to Spellbound and listened as he ranted on for a moment. "Where in the world did that accent come from?", she thought to herself before watching his quick display of magical power. He was using one of the basic unicorn talents, telekinesis, common for his sub-species, but she would kill to have access to such powers. When she was younger, she spent time at the training grounds watching the unicorn blade-masters practice their talents. Being a pegasus, she was limited to her bulky spear or handy punch dagger, not as if she ever used those in real combat,but to be able to face a foe with a sword or two hovering at her side. She let out a sigh and continued to watch the stallion's show.

Once he was finished, she clapped her two front hooves together, "Very impressive. Nice use of telekinesis and the 'candle-lights cantrip'. So being a mage, what is it that you do? I'm guessing you seek out new spells, probably trade old ones, and maybe even write a few spells of your own? I have heard there is good money to be made for those ponies clever enough to create original and useful spells."

"Hmmm? Oh quite! I trade ze spells and seek magical knowledge, but along ze way...ze currency...bits! Bits are needed to live, ye see. I perform...so called ''magic' shows for ze bits. I've been traveling ze lands of ze Equestria for quite some time now, ye see," Bound replied with a nod. "I haven't tried writing my own spells! But I could...ze magic would be made by hoof!"

He looked around the grouping of ponies, and turned to the scholar once again. He observed her for a second, and then turned back to Fire Walker.

"I have heard that considering all of the spells that have been created over the years, it's nearly impossible for one to come up with a spell both original and useful nowadays, but for those who can, great wealth would be theirs.", she frowned rather deeply the moment she caught sight of 'Lucky'. "I would advice you young stallion, to keep a good distance from the two of us. While Madam Unicorn showed great compassion and restraint after you handled her coin purse, I am afraid I would not be as kind if you attempted to take either sir's or my coins. I'm sure Spellbound has a few useful spells at his disposal to keep away such a threat, and I keep my coin purse very close to myself, so if you even consider placing a hoof near me, I will most likely give you a good thrashing and deposit you into the nearest gaol. While I am not on duty as a officer of the peace of any sorts, I did make sure to stop over and speak with the captain of the guard for this district of Manehattan. Believe his name is Vince Charming. Very impressive pony.", her frown quickly faded away, "I have my papers, so I was permitted to practice my trade here, just as long as I followed the proper procedures." She waggled her eyebrows at the pony and waited for his next move.

Lucky just smiled at her

"A Mare with attitude i like that, you don't have to worry i don't use my mastery of slight of hand for pickpocketing i perfer games of chance to take pony.s bits so you have my word i won't touch the gypsy or his cash. you on the other hand that we can discuss at dinner." at this he smiled like a wolf looking at a lamb

Bound was angered by the pony which stood mear him. In fact, he was close to being enraged. This 'Lucky' one had done him no good tonight, and was starting to irritate him more than Miss Scholar or whatever her name was over there. Was he...hitting on Fire? The one 'protecting' him? And did he...just call him a...GYPSY?

"Listen, ye foolish one...ye aren't ze smartest are ye? Flirting with every one mare in ze sight! And then insulting me! Ze foolish one. Ze very foolish one."

He shook his head and grunted in disgust.

Arcana gave a steady nod as she watched the self proclaimed "skilled mage of the dark arts" do his little trick. When he was done she started to applaud, if only to mock him.

"Splendid! What a superb show of magical prowess! Oh venerable mage of the dark arts, how quick I was to judge you as a hackneyed dullard devoid of even a shred of talent or dignity! Such gloriously garish enchantment! Oh how it must delight the incurious rabble as you parade yourself before them like a clown for coin!" Arcana shouted in amusement before suddenly breaking out in a fit of laughter.

Arcana turned then to the guardspony and shook her head. "Take it from a mage of real talent, but writing spells is both a difficult and thankless use of one's time. It's hardly something a pony of this one's caliber could ever conceive to do."

She gave a firm nod. "Consider not that in the days of old, we unicorns raised and lowered the sun each day all on our own, with no all-powerful princess to do it for us. Magic has only gotten weaker. Mages have only become more pathetic and miserable. The true path to glory doesn't lie in stringing together silly new spells, but in uncovering the great power that has been lost to us! Only then can we hope to recapture our deserved greatness."

((OOC: three new post in the time it took for me to write this... sorry if it feels kind of behind with things, but this topic is moving quite fast; it's a little hard to keep up... :blush: ))

"Now ye fooling me, aren't ye? Gah ha ha ha!" laughed Bound, obviously absorbed in his own selfish opinions. "And who are ye to say this? The queen herself? Do ye rule these lands, Miss?"

Bound had ignored everything she had previously said, and instead continued on on his angry rants about her.

"Ye are a poor, cold soul. Ha ha! Ze skies shout it quite openly indeed. Putting yeself in a place of false power...Making all of my words false before I even say them! Ze are nothing! Nothing at all! Listen then, Miss Scholar, for I'll tell ye now. If ye are expecting me to...listen to your cold, falsely assumed words...ye'd be wrong in my eyes."

Fire Walker waited for the spell-caster to finish what he had to say before she threw in her own two bits, "That is really sweet and all.", a smile nearly crossed her face as she looked at 'Lucky', "But you're a little on the young side, not to mention a bit of a creeper. Once you get older and not so creepy, you might be lucky enough to find a mare such as I, but for now, please keep your nose clean and your hooves out of trouble, alright?", her tone had shifted dramatically as she spoke. She was less commanding and more friendlier this time.

She also listened to Arcana, "I agree with nearly everything you said, we have known nothing but peace for many generations. The great beasts that once plaqued our kingdoms in the past have been either destroyed or hidden away in darker lands, the dragons wisely avoid us, and even the very essence of chaos and discord has been defeated and contained for good. This is both a blessing and a curse. We have become weaker and lazier. It's a shame.", she nodded her head sadly, "I have a feeling that one day we will face a great disaster and our Princess Celestia will not be there to protect us, and there will be great suffering."

OOC: No worries. I generally try to limit my posts for these RP boards. Usually once or twice a day...Usually. :halo:

Arcana just shook her head. Listening to this stallion was tiresome, not to mention irritating.

"Oh, but I don't have to listen to your words to know their merit. From your puerile hat to your self-aggrandizing demeanor to that ludicrous accent, I can perceive-- not assume-- that you are without question a complacent imbecile," Arcana opted to get even more direct and vicious with her insults.

Laughing, amused with herself, she turned to the other mare. "Quite sound judgment! And here I lived my entire life under the notion that anypony impolitic enough to put on that armor and slave themselves to Her Lofty Majesty as a peacekeeper had to be both certifiably mad and more than a little vacuous." She smiled. "This furlough of yours, I'd consider extending it indefinitely. One capable of such sound ratiocination as yourself should not be reduced to travailing at some menial post for little reward at the call of our most imperious princess."

Bound found himself quite irritated by this mare, more than he had ever previously been by any other pony for a couple of years. Now, he had two choices. He could respond, and listen to the cold unicorn whine some more of how far above everypony else she was, and how weak she claimed him to be, or he could simply find a way to brush the annoying one off, hopefully giving her a reason to shut up. He liked the second idea, but there was no doubt in his mind that this unicorn would continue to pester him. At least, the very thought or her would. Trying to stay as close to choice two as possible, he muttered something under his breath and continued to ignore her ignorant words. Still mumbling, he turned around and walked away from the scene.

"Hopeless case indeed."

"Please do not get me wrong.", the armored pegasus kept her eyes on Lucky, making sure he wasn't about to do anything underhoof'ed, "I love Princess Celestia with all of my very being and would gladly die for her, and I do owe everything to the 'Royal Equestrian Army'. I just felt that I could make myself a better pony by leaving the safety of Canterlot. Travel to new lands and meet all manner of creatures. Spellbound's father is a very powerful and respected member of his city. Helping him out will open more than a few doors for me.", she returned he gaze back to the other unicorn.

"Sir, is there anything you wish to do today? Surely there are ancient libraries to seek out and explore their wealth of forgotten knowledge, or lost cities to comb through. While I'm not familiar with this area, I do have a map.", she pulled out an rolled up scroll, "Says here we're not that far from the 'Whitetail Woods', or the other way we have the 'Everfree Forest' I used to hear stories about that place when I was just a filly. Stories so scary they'd make your tail curl up." She really hoped this was not how Spellbound spent his day, hanging around park benches and scowling at passersby.

this trio was hilarious and the guardsmare was quite the looker too, he decided to be the nice pony.

"As i would love to keep up with the insults and things like that i'm sure we are all hunger so how about i treat us to some food and we can discuss any further adventures there." he was intrigued by the thought of adventure, and spending time with two pretty if not uninterested mares.

Arcana shook her head as the mage stallion started to walk away, putting on a rather silly display. Arcana just laughed. "And there is the cowardice on full display! How droll."

Turning to the mare she frowned. "Disappointing. And here I thought for a moment I had found somepony with some measure of intellect in this city." she gave a long sigh. "I ask you what Celestia has done to demand such ardent love? Beguiled by her winsome visage, perhaps?" The unicorn gave a fierce laugh. "No, that would be all too rational for you soldier types, I suppose. At least there is in you a judicious enough mind to put that silliness aside, if only for a spell and explore real pursuits to better yourself with. That at the least can be commended, I suppose."

She then considered the words the guard offered her charge. She's love to see that. This fool mage trying to find the lost knowledge that so alluded Arcana herself at every turn. Ridiculous! She remember then, however, that she had no leads. She had approached this stallion to laugh in his face and call him a fool, but she was in this town to find her next query. The chance that this fool mage, his unremarkable guard, or this impudent knave would know anything about the sort of knowledge she sought was incredibly slim, but not zero.

"How ridiculous! What a pitiable band we would be," Arcana said with a chuckle. "But I will confess I am at something of an impasse when it comes to my research, and I'm not so supercilious as to refuse a free meal." She nodded to the stallion thief. "I would follow you."

"And I shall not be feasting with you," Bound called back in somewhat irritated voice, which bordered his odd accent as a deeper, more rugged accent broke through. "Ye fools have wasted enough of my time."

He pointed a hoof at Arcana.

"Especially ye, cold scholar. Nothing in the world can compare to ye assuming behavior. While ye appear 'intelligent' and 'scholary', as previously stated by yeself, I can say zat it is nothin' but a shell. Ye hide...hmmm...oh yes indeed...lonliness? A lack of friends due to ye cold heart...? A lack of family? A lack of actual emotion? I wouldn't be surprised if ye lacked common sanity itself. Nothimg but a lost wonderin' soul, ye are. Now leave me be, self proclaimed scholar, and let me wander freely, away from the grasp of ye accursed heart."

As he said this he continued to walk away, ignoring the whole grouping of ponies behind him.

"Again, I do agree with you that we as a species have relied on Celestia just a bit too much, but you cannot discount what she has done to our very existence.", Fire Walker was taken back a little by such treasonous comments she had just heard, "We were nothing before she came into power. Just scrawny beasts trying to claw our way through a vast and unforgiving world that did not care if we lived or died. She defeated chaos and gave us purpose. She gave us everything we hold dear...er", she noticed her current source of income was cantering away, "Oh Tartarus', wait up!", she gave the mare one last look before she quickly made her way after Spellbound.

"Wait up!", her heavy armor made more than a racket as she caught up with the stallion, "I rather like her.", she spoke very bluntly, "Reminded me of one of my instructors back in training. My teacher in 'Defense Against The Magical Arts' class. She wasn't the nicest pony, but could she never raise a ruckus with her speeches. And do remember 'not all who wander are lost'.", she tried to look as scholarly as Arcane, but failed miserably, "Still, I pity her. I know bloody well she never stood in presence of our princess. Have you?”, she asked before continuing, “To be even as far away from her as I was at the time is still something. Beyond the fact that she is the most beautiful creature in all of creation, it’s the feeling you get when you are near her. It’s like the entire weight of all your collective problems just float away and are replaced with all your greatest feelings that you ever had.”, the pegasus gushed.

"No," replied Bound to Fire Walker, regaining his gypsy accent. "I have not. But I can imagine, ye see. It's always been on my life's list was a foal, standing in ze princess's presence."

He looked back to Arcana, grunted once again, and then turned back to his guard.

"Pity does not even begin to describe my emotion for zat mare."

He continued on, walking the calm streets of Manehattan.

"But never ze less..." Bound was at a loss of words at this point, and found himself almost completely unable to say anything sensical.

"Nevermind, then."