What kind of Pony are You?

SilverThorn

You know... Weesh and I JUST had that conversation... Races don't dictate intelligence or personality traits. Earth ponies have a special connection to the earth, and possibly better physical strength. However that does not discount the number of earth pony doctors, vets, nurses, architects and other professions that require things other than brawn. Special talent is special talent. I can't use a human example without seeming racist, so I'll refrain. But you know what? Just saying that should create the perfect parallel if you think about it. "You can't be [insert profession here] because you're [insert race here]" just doesn't work. It doesn't work in our world, and I'm sure it doesn't work in Equestria either.

Heck... On that vein... You'd think that Fluttershy, a Pegasus pony, wouldn't be able to have connection to land based creatures, as that seems like a trait an earth pony would have, but she probably has a better connection than most earth ponies.

Whilst I agree to a certain extent, there are CERTAIN jobs that races are drawn to based on generalizations and what we've seen from the show. Earth ponies are more drawn to food-related, animal, and earthy tasks, unicorns more brainy, artistic, and astronomical tasks, and pegasi to weather-related/more athletic tasks. There can certainly be outliers from the norm such as Fluttershy, but pony races are not at all the same as human races. All humans, regardless of race, have the same abilities. Pony races, however, have enormous differences in abilities and powers compared to humans, which would indeed make them more prone to certain tasks. I'd say that to a very general extent, race DOES dictate personality. Also, you forget that each race has its own culture (in both humans and ponies), and these cultures (and expectations from them) often shape personalities as well. That's the reason this thread exists, really. To find out which type is most suitable to one based on their personality, interests, etc.

Unicorn definitely. Ever since reading about drones in the Culture novels I've been fascinated by the idea of TK and 'fields', more-so than any idea of simple 'tractor beams' due to the ability to manipulate finely. The episode where Twilight was making the water globes float re-cemented the idea and versatility of the ability.

Personally, I think I would be a Unicorn a number of the hobbies I have require small detail work (not just with drawing, I do quilling paper craft and a number of other things that would be difficult to do with hooves or your mouth), I've always been interested in magic and all things considered I would probably be quite good at it (I would probably have an odd collection of spells I can do, mind you, but still....magic), not to mention I have food allergies and a sensitivity to textures which would present some problems if I had to use my mouth to manipulate many objects

It also makes sense when you take everything, including my family background, into account; I wouldn't really work as an Earth Pony since in Hearths Warming they mention that Earth Ponies tend to be more connected to nature and I tend to feel uncomfortable spending a lot of time out doors and none of my family includes those sorts of jobs. I wouldn't really be a good Pegasus either since I'm terrified of heights and don't handle high speeds very well, true I could potentially just be an exception like Fluttershy is, but then a number of people in my family are also prone to vertigo and having an entire family of acrophobic Pegasi wouldn't really make sense. In addition all of the parts of my heritage include people from upper classes (which seems to mostly be Unicorns, if what we've seen of Canterlot is any indication) and almost all of them had either desk jobs, artistic jobs or historian work. And again, I have food allergies as do most of the people in my family, many with life threatening allergies and in those cases if somepony eats something you are allergic to and then opens a door or moves something with their mouth it's now contaminated and if you also touch it with your mouth it could cause a reaction, so yes....using magic would definitely be helpful in that case

Was Rarity's father a unicorn? I think his horn was obscured by a hat in Sisterhooves. He's definitely an exception to the unicorn rule, if his cutie mark is any indication.

Well with his shirt and hat we can't tell what he is, though his hat doesn't really sit the way it would on an earth pony....

Come to think of it, I wonder if that is why so many Unicorns wear over sized hats, because they don't sit properly otherwise (or at least that was the experience I had earlier today when I tried drawing the main characters from a show I watched as a child as ponies, one of them I ended ruling out drawing as a Unicorn because she always has a hat on and not a single one looks the way it should if she has a horn)

Are breezies an option? If so I'd like to change my answer. My grandmother has told me since I was very little that I have "the Fae blood," which would make me a breezy.

Or a Flutter Pony, those are (almost) regular sized Ponies with patternless, translucent wings