Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

Well, I called the Amazonian Giant Centipede and told her that her highlight was going to be after this one. Luckily for me, she was in a pretty good mood. She said that after her highlight, I can have my arm back. Until then, I'll be typeing all my posts with one arm.

As wished by the lovely Chocoswirl, I give you the Emerald Cockroach Wasp.

5993772041_75b9db3da3.jpg

The Emerald Cockroach Wasp can be identified by its briliant green sheen. It's not big, with the females growing only 2 centimeters and the males being even smaller. They can be found in tropical areas of Africa, South Asia and the Pacific islands. They are solitary wasps, and spread their young in a very particular way. After copulateing with a male, the mother will target cockroaches. Now, it's not too unusual for an insect to kill something and lay it's eggs near, or on it to provide her young with immediate sustenience. However, the Emerald Wasp goes about this a tad differently. Rather than killing the roach outright, She will deliver a precise sting in the victims brain that houses the roach's escape reflex. Instead of trying to escape, the roach will will frantically groam itself. The wasp is too small to carry the roach, so instead, she will drag it by the antenae to her burrow. Here, she lays a single egg into the roach's abdomen and will then seal the entrance with dirt, pebbles, and whatever else is handy. By now the roach has become slugish albiet still completly unaware of the danger it is in. With her work done, the mother sets off to find her next victem to repeat the process all over again. One mating can provide dozens off eggs, so she has alot of work ahead of her.

There you go Chocoswirl, hope you liked it!

• Like 1

The more I learn of various wasp species, the more I realize its just certain wasp species whom are jerks (like yellow jackets... Darn their affinity for MY food).

I must say though, that is one snazzy looking insect.

I should mention that some show on Animal Planet made me terrified weary of the Amazonian Giant Centipede... They have a pretty nasty bite...

Requesting a spotlight on earwigs, Bugmaster!

eh, those things D: they're EVERYWHERE on my grandparent's farm. many bad memories of them as a child x:

eh they arent as gross as you think but i'll let stoney explain.

it's not so much that they're gross as the fact that I've had several of them crawling all over me on more than one occasion. they also like to get in my food.

Bugs scare me.

Especially these.

http://en.wikipedia....Africanized_bee

I used to, until I learned that there are methods to control them and they produce better honey and in greater amount. They are more easily provoked, but a tame colony is actually a great benefit.

Bees in general have always just scared me. Its a bit of an irrational fear, I know. But humans are irrational beings.

Oh! You were like me then! I totally used logic to get over bee fear. Couldn't do that with all wasps though... Certain wasps still frighten me... But I'm cool with bees. (Yes I use logic to overcome fears, I'm a strange strange person)

Bees in general have always just scared me. Its a bit of an irrational fear, I know. But humans are irrational beings.

It's a pretty healthy fear to have if you are allergic to bee stings!

Even though you may not like bees, you enjoy the fruits of their labor on a daily basis -- literally! So, think about that next time you come across a bee!

Oh! You were like me then! I totally used logic to get over bee fear. Couldn't do that with all wasps though... Certain wasps still frighten me... But I'm cool with bees. (Yes I use logic to overcome fears, I'm a strange strange person)

I can use logic to overcome some fears, but not ones that involve pain.

Like bee stings.

It's a pretty healthy fear to have if you are allergic to bee stings!

Even though you may not like bees, you enjoy the fruits of their labor on a daily basis -- literally! So, think about that next time you come across a bee!

Its not that I don't like them. Just afraid of them. I'm not allergic to bee stings- the only thing I am allergic to is the chemical created by stress! Makes me break out into hives.

Earwigs... Let me tell you a story about earwigs that I am sure Stoney can explain the reason for.

I once had an itch on my head under my Civil War cap. Now, this was day 3 with no shower. I scratched and within another minute there it was again. I pulled off the cap and there were FIVE earwigs in there, just crawling around. I had a completely open tent and slept on the ground, yet the things only showed up in my hair. Now, my question for you, Stoney, is why were they attracted to my hair, of all places?

Also, Bugmaster, you should wear neck protection. I hear giant centipede bites are unpleasant :P

awesome, I'm really looking forward to this thread :^D

I find insects and such fascinating as long as they're not on me, or likely to jump at me. I always try to hide bugs when I find them because I don't want other people killing them XD

i do the same thing x'3