The Pony Pirates Project REVAMP

Just throw us your idea of a zebra app before you make it so it won't be a hassle for you much. If everything is fine then go ahead and make the app once QL and I have a run over it.

Basic idea:

Younger zebra stallion, got a relatively cheerful disposition, a love of life, and loves the thought of flying. He's also got an incredible knowledge of the stars to use for navigation, and an almost impeccable sense of direction. He also would not be too off-put by the fact he's joining a group of what are ostensibly pirates.

That's all I got so far.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basic idea:

Younger zebra stallion, got a relatively cheerful disposition, a love of life, and loves the thought of flying. He's also got an incredible knowledge of the stars to use for navigation, and an almost impeccable sense of direction. He also would not be too off-put by the fact he's joining a group of what are ostensibly pirates.

That's all I got so far.

I love it! Gotta wait for QL to see what she says. XD

Okay guys, I posted an update on the 1st post. Please read carefully. Made some changes to the crew positions and added a new requirement for those who want to join.

[RP Sample for: Zebra Navigator. Placeholder name is the first navigator-like name I can come up with, Starchart. It is highly subject to change.]

Starchart always seemed to be a blur of activity on board the ship. When he wasn't making his calculations on the fly to figure out where in Equestria they were (the higher you got, the harder it was to navigate with the ground, and heck, it was just hard in general if you didn't know where you were), he was chatting or just watching off the side of the ship, watching as whatever he could passed by: mail-runner pegasi, curious birds, whatever.

Shortly enough, however, the fast-talking Zebra would be called upon to do what he does best: navigate. It didn't matter whether it was under the calmest of conditions or in the roughest of thunderstorms, Starchart had an impeccable sense of direction.

Somepony on deck was staring off into the distance off the stern, practically leaning over the rail to see it. With the Captain busy at the wheel, Starchart trotted down to see what was going on. "Whatcha see?" he asked. His voice carried the distinct accent of a Zebra, which, when combined with his usual fast talking (it came from the incredibly fast way he worked. Rapid calculations, rapid thought-processes, etc), would often make him hard to understand, especially in battle. "Uh, nothing." the pony said, and the zebra chuckled, leaning over the rail. His blue eyes narrowed.

"De dot out dere?" "Yeah. I dunno, I just saw it and when I looked back it was still there. Like it was following us." before the pony was finished, the zebra disappeared in a blur of black and white stripes, appearing on the stern to watch the dot through a looking glass.

"Cap'n!" Starchart said, looking back. "I t'ink we got us a tail." he said, pointing with a hoof at the dot. Through the glass, it had the unmistakable appearance of a ship.

Sure enough, ten minutes later while Starchart was using the mariner's astrolabe to check their location, he heard a shout he hadn't heard in ages. "General quarters! General quarters! All hooves on deck!" the 1st Mate shouted. Starchart's voice joined in the chorus of "Aye!"s that rose up around the airship as ponies ran here and there to their posts. He joined the Captain on the bridge, checking his map. "Impress me, Starchart. Get this tail off us." the Captain requested. "Aye sir." the zebra replied almost as soon as the Captain was done, and glanced out at the mountains ahead of them. He then glanced at the map. If he was right, Beakbreak was right ahead of them. "Dere! Put us dere!" he said excitedly, pointing a hoof at a small break in the mountains. "Put us low. If'n I got dis right, an' I'm always right, Cap'n, we'll come straight out over Beakbreak safe an' sound, an' den it's a straight shot to Stalliograd!" "And that will keep us out of the way of the ship on our tail?" "Aye sir! I trust in your flyin' skills to get us safely t'rough. Dey won't chase us, an' I cut time off our return journey dis way. Starchart is good, Starchart is wise, Cap'n."

The Captain was understandably apprehensive but took Starchart's advice, swinging the ship around hard to port to get it in line with their new route, which was radically off from before, which would have involved slowing down to go around the mountain south of Beakbreak, or rising up higher to go over them. That would have let the faster griffon airship behind them catch up, and slow their trip down in general. This route was much faster, if they could safely squeeze through the gap between the mountains. The airship did wonderfully, passing between the rocky crags and roaring over Beakbreak. Ahead of them, the river and northern tip of the Everfree, and far off over the horizon, they knew there lay Stalliongrad. "Told ya, Cap'n! Straight t'rough, nice an' fast. They'll have to slow down to follow us, an' dere goes twenty minutes off the time." the zebra said proudly, tapping his right hoof to the deck below him.

Just then, the bridge door opened, and in came a crewmember, panting from having run all the way. "The ship's still on us!" the crewmember said. Starchart grinned sheepishly, not having expected it to give chase. The Captain looked at him expectantly. "New route on the double-quick sir!" he said, running to the map.

I notice I wasn't added to the list. :unsure:

Was my post overlooked...? Or does it not sound like something that would work for this? :blush:

Sorry I missed you there. Got you added now. :sniff:

The roleplay post is nice, but I feel like you add a touch too much fluff :-( We don't need to know precicely how he does things

Hmm I think his RP post was okay. I do believe it's just the style of how he roleplays. I know I do it like that sometimes but I see no problem with it.

I can go back and trim it down, if need be. Actually a second bit of inspiration hit me in regards to how I'd want to play the character. I could go for a similar post but with an added element of tense action, like he needs to get the calculations done fast to keep the ship safe in a storm or something.

Sorry I missed you there. Got you added now. :sniff:

Alright, cool. :)

Here's a sample RP passage. I don't have a name for the character yet as it's still a loose character concept (and names are almost always one of the last things I come up with when constructing a new character), but this is the basic idea I'm going for:

"Aye, Captain!" (placeholder) called back rigidly but with energy as she was instructed to retrieve a crate from below deck. She turned and trotted off at once, finding her way into the hull of the airship to locate what her captain needed. Once there was nopony around to see her, she sighed. This was becoming the definition of a thankless job. Menial labor, useless grunt work; it was all she was good for apparently. She garbled some curses as she stepped ahead. Sometimes she truly questioned her decision to join up with this literal ship of fools.

She was an ace back home in Breakbeak. She had a reputation in multiple towns for her mischief. It was only because she figured she was starting to attract a little too much attention that she decided to hole up with a crew of pirates. It had sounded like a decent gig, but so far (placeholder) was hardly impressed. A lot of it had to do with the captain; he was far too young and naïve and just entirely without the edge one would expect from a pirate. At first she had wondered if somepony like him being the captain was just some joke they were playing on the new members, but no. Apparently they were entirely seriously.

Which was particularly odd given a few among them seemed kinda capable. The first mate was a griffon and seemed confident and somewhat imposing, if a little too quiet. (placeholder) didn't trust quiet types. In her experience they always had something to hide, and she didn't very much like anypony hiding secrets unless it were here. She hadn't developed much of an impression when it came to the others just yet, but it was clear that she was considered one of the low ponies on the proverbial pole. Which was fine with her; they'd find out just how multi-talented she was soon enough. She'd climb their little ladder, she had no doubts. She just had to trick them into trusting her.

Finding the requested crate, (placeholder) got behind it and started to push it back with her head, eventually lifting the heavy thing above deck when the time came. She set it down before the captain and gave a nod. "Here you are, Captain, sir. As requested!" she said, with some precisely aimed enthusiasm, and a perfect false smile. "Glad to be of service!"

Re-did my post. Lengthened it a little, removed a lot of the technobabble, and added more interaction with the crew, though it's still limited. Mostly just the character talking to the captain, and showing off his quick thinking when it comes to navigating.

"Geary" cried the captain, the panic evident in his voice. "What's going on down there" he demanded through the thick smoke, and constant noises of a leaking engine!!

Geary Twist however was unable to respond, as he was busy trying to keep the engines from overheating and exploding in the process. Rushing towards the power regulators, Geary turned the wheel counter clockwise to lower the power since the readings were in the danger meter!! "I'm sorry to inform Captain that the engine is currently overheating due to overexertion of constant use of the boosters" called up the engineer, referring to when they had to outrun danger and made usage of the ships primary boosters. Watching the meter slowly drop, he grinned as he whipped some sweat from his brow. Things were going to be okay as long as.. "ACK" he shouted as suddenly one of the panels started to spark!! Trotting up to it, he grasped the nearby lever as he shut down the power towards one of the ships main conducters. Opening the panel safely, he slowly removed one of the wires connecting power to the engine as he huffed "Blast it, I need another coupling". Hearing the alarm blaring from the sudden lost in power; Geary panicked as he jumped over some large cables towards the closet. Grabbing a new coupling set, Geary turned to rush back towards the panel when a spark from one of the hanging lights caused a small fire. "Whoooa!!! I need help" called up Geary towards the open door way.

Help was what he recieved when suddenly down flew the captain as he glared angrily at the fire. "Shoot, hold tight my friend" declared the captain as he pressed a button. Wind started to get sucked out from the back as the cargo hold started to open up, causing both ponies to flinch from the highly dangerous winds. Smirking as he set his plan into action, the captain started to flap his wings at high speed towards the fire. The gust power started to slowly blow out the fire, as it was sent out of the plane. "Heh, thats the..but we're still going down"!!

"Not on my watch sir" Geary grinned as he quickly rushed towards the panel. Reaching it, he removed placed the new coupling in, and turned back on the panel. Immideatly, everything got better as power was restored and the ship started to run properly again.

"Excellent work Mr.Twist" nodded in the captain in apperictiation as he closed the bay door.

"Sir" nodded the engineer as he saulted his superior.

ok so wait is my colt still allowed?

If you still want a character to join the crew please read the update I put on the fist post of this page.