[Canterlot] Pony Joe's Donut Shop [CLOSED]

(OOC: shall we try to get Carrot Cake or Pinkie Pie's player involved? Is there even a player for Cup Cake?)

Candy Catch-em watched as the foal was enjoyed her ride immensely, and Pony Joe fretting over figures. This little adventure must be costing him a lot!

She fluttered her wings in thought for a moment, then went to the counter "My best customer is going to be captaining the yacht for me and would probably do a side trip to Ponyville for me. I cant imagine taking the foal on board without a parent. No telling what she would get up to without someone she would listen to. so they'll have to go to Ponyville first to get at least one of the parents. This should not take long by air, especially with the Mantacore not on board yet.

Better still for you Joe is the crew will get very hungry with the extra trip. I'll see if I can talk them into coming here."

Candy stepped outside for a moment and blew on a whistle. several birds came out from their hiding spots to stay out of the rain and flew up to her.

She pointed out a raven "Ok Barnabas, you will do nicely, Could you please deliver a note for me and bring back a reply?" The raven nodded, and waited as she wrote out a note, stuffing it in a tube.

"Here you go. Hurry back."

A soon as the raven left, Candy came back inside. "We shall hopefully get a good response on his willingness to zip off to Ponyville.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe was feeling rather disheartened and upset until he heard Tiny speak once more. He straightened up a bit, always trying to look good in front of his customers (especially ones who were more wealthy and spent great deals of money at his shop!).

Joe could not believe his ears. Six dozen donuts?! Nobody had ever ordered that many, except perhaps Professor Krashkop on his more hungry days. How many donuts was six dozen? Did he even have that many donuts in the store? After the Pumpkin Cake fiasco? And how was he to deviate between expensive and normal, he believed in quality prices for quality goods! Joe's pace quickened, and he felt excited. He would get to do lots of baking after today! Sure, he wouldn't get much sleep, but he would be able to serve his customers well. Besides, coffee took Joe's tired self away.

Joe's severe caffeine addiction perhaps should have startled him a bit, most likely causing many health problems. But then again, Joe was the owner of a donut shop! And he knew his coffee well, every cup was the best. So when Tiny ordered his best coffee, he wouldn't have to think twice without filling up a mug with his usual cup of joe. Customers would never disagree, it simply was the best!

Joe began to calculate the price of that. One dozen donuts cost 6 bits, and six of them would cost 36 bits. Plus one coffee was 37 bits. 37 bits! What a hefty price! Joe felt a bit guilty, thinking perhaps Tiny was only pressured to buy donuts. Then Joe realised that Tiny was only trying to help the shop! What a kind, charitable young colt!

"Yes sir, right away!" Joe bellowed, grabbing six pink to-go boxes with haste. Luckily, he had his magic to help him out in times like this. He laid the boxes flat and perpendicular, then sent donuts straight from the case and into them. As they began to fill up, which didn't take any of Joe's concentration because of his years of practice, Candy began to speak as well.

She mentioned a way of bringing little Pumpkin Cake home, to which Joe felt a weight lift from his shoulders. He dreaded closing the shop for even a moment, he needed the money and adored his job. He was lucky to have such great customers and friends! As he looked around, eyeing the Professor still singing and pony-riding Pumpkin Cake around, then sweet Candy, then generous Tiny, his heart filled with warmth. THIS was why he loved his job- all the great friends he made along the way!

"Oh, thank you Candy! Thank you, Tiny! And thank YOU Professor!" He laughed, stepping out from behind the counter and giving Candy and Tiny side-hugs (the least awkward kind of hug he cared to manage). He considered hugging the Proffessor, but Pumpkin Cake was so satisfied with his pony-ride, he didn't DARE disturb it!

Joe finished packaging the boxes, then stacked them in a neat pile with relish. His case looked a whole lot emptier than usual, which made him feel surprisingly satisfied. He filled Tiny's cup of coffee up carefully, using his hooves delicately. He placed a lid on it, and blew a bit of the steam away, cooling it for drinking. Joe placed this next to the tower of pink boxes. He passed Candy her reciept, saving the Professor's with him for another time. Then he magically typed Tiny's reciept, putting it atop his boxes.

"Here you are! Do enjoy!" Joe said, sliding the boxes and coffee towards Tiny's direction. Excitement bubbled in his kind heart.

Pumpkin Cake withdrew her hoof from her mouth and clapped them together, splattering the top of the Professor's mane with tendrils of warm drool. What a fun song! She'd never heard anything like it. She cleared her throat and joined along in the singing, though she had no idea how to say the words, she invented her own, which she sang completely off key:

La la laaaa de la! Laaaaaaa de de deeeeee!

She rocked back and forth with the tune, sticking her damp hoof back in her mouth. The baby unicorn glanced at Joe. He seemed to be packing lots of pink boxes with doughnuts. She was surprised he had any left after her surprise entry into the shop! She also saw him pouring brown muddy stuff into a cup. It smelled weird. She wrinkled her nose, her short attention span turning to something else. The lights, the checkboard tile, Joe's haste to pack up doughnuts and clean. This was such a fun place! Pumpkin would be hard pressed to leave. Except...where was her family? She didn't feel particularly frighted or afraid -- she was used to living in a pastry shop, even if this one was not her own -- and she was surrounded with new friends!

Drool ran down her wheat-colored arm as she suckled, humming along with Klashkop's melody as he gave her the circular ride around the doughnut shop.

Tinybanner.jpg

Tiny blinked at the swiftness of Joe's work, then blushed feeling a hug, returning it with one hoof, when the doughnuts were stacked he smiled taking the coffee via his sparkling pail yellow magic and took a sip "Mhmm perfect" He said getting out a bag of 45 bits in it and sat it on the counter "Oh darn! I forgot could I get one of your eclairs to enjoy with my coffee? THe doughnuts are for my customers after all not for myself, and I'm going to go crazy if I don't get one of your masterpieces..." He said and smiled kindly.

He was glad that Joe seemed in better spirits since when he had come in the other seemed utterly and totally chrest fallen! and Tiny wanted to make his day better by being there for him in any way that he could and if that meant buying doughnuts then by golly he'd buy doughnuts..!

Joe was feeling rather optimistic. He was surrounded by good friends, Pumpkin Cake was happy and preoccupied, and Tiny had just ordered another eclair. Today he had most likely actually MADE a bit of money! Joe took the last eclair from it's case and wrapped it up in delicate foil. He handed it over to Tiny, then wrote him a reciept of all his purchases in his clearest handwriting. He was eager for Tiny to taste the eclair, Joe was especially fond of making those.

Professor Krashkop was having a great time! The elderly Pegasus took great pleasure in playing with the baby filly. It gave him new energy and spunk that he hasn't had in decades! As he continued to sing and trot, he looked all around the room to see that Pony Joe, Tiny, Candy and the other customers who were entering the shop seemed genuinely happy too! The Professor realized that Pumpkin Cake needed to be returned to her parents and that by now, poor Carrot and Cup Cake were probably in a state of panic without their beloved baby daughter. But for now, all they could do was wait and try their best to care for her until they came to be reunited with her.

Tinybanner.jpg

Tiny smiled taking the wrapped eclair and took a bite, a soft "Mhmmm" Escaping him as the creamy custard and silky chocolate along with the crisp expertly crafted pastry melted into his mouth making it burst with flavor and texture "Mhmmmm" He swallowed after chewing it, and topped it down with a sip of his coffee "Pony Joe your Eclairs are the best in all of Equestria I'll have to start coming by here more just to sample one of them" He said, horn levitating the stack of boxes out as he opened the bit bag he had sat on the table and plonked in ten more bits for Pony Joe "Here take this your delicious food deserves it"

Joe beamed as Tiny took a bite of his eclair. He wasn't sure if the unicorn knew it, but he started to mmm and smile. Joe loved to see this exact reaction, especially towards his eclairs. That recipe had taken him years. YEARS. The custard itself was a hassle. It needed to have the right combination of wiggly and jelly consistency. Then, it needed to be rich in flavour. Finally, it needed to be baked and cut correctly, which could take hours upon hours. The chocolate was hand-melted, and the dough his very own recipe. It was a long and painstaking process, but seeing people enjoy his food so much made him happy to do it.

Joe smiled upon Tiny's words. Of course, he knew he had the best eclairs in Equestria, but that meant a lot coming from a pony of such wealth and greatness!

"Thank you so much! That's very kind of you to say."

Then, Tiny did something astounding. He dropped ten more bits on the table for Joe. His jaw dropped to the floor. TEN BITS?! You could buy a lot in his shop for ten bits, 10 individual donuts or eclairs for one thing, and almost two dozen donuts! It was a hefty tip, certainly not a stretch for Tiny's budget by any means of course, but none the less Joe felt guilt in his stomach as he stared at the pile of coins. Had he made Tiny feel obligated to spend a ton of money in his shop? Had he made the other customers feel that way?

"A-A-Are you sure, Tiny? That's quite a large tip! You don't have to pay anything near that amount!"

Pumpkin straddled the Professor's sides, digging in with her little hooves. "Giddy up" was the message, of course! The smell of the warm pastries was heavenly. Her soft wheat-toned coat still smelled of doughnuts, jam, and frosting, along with the light scent of dish soap from that horrifying bath. She got to play with the sticky stuff, but she certainly hadn't a chance to eat any of it. Her tummy grumbled loudly, and she pacified herself by jamming her hoof into her mouth. She tilted her head curiously at the green unicorn and Pony Joe. He had been throwing lots of shiny golden discs on the counter -- lots and lots of them! She wondered inwardly what they were for -- and more importantly -- how fun they might be to stick in her mouth.

Pumpkin stuck her hooves out, reaching for the golden bits. She was, of course, across the shop, nowhere close enough to grab the shiny, fun objects. Her itty-bitty unicorn horn tingled, causing the money to rattle around on the counter. Her fleeting moment of magic quickly faded, and the coins remained on the counter top. Non-plussed, her attention shifted to something more fun, like drooling all over the back of the Professor. C'est la vie!

Carrot Cake was in panic mode; somehow Pumpkin Cake had managed to slip away from him while he wasn't looking, and what's worse was it had to happen in a big city like Canterlot. Mr. Cake had planned this trip to Canterlot awhile ago, the purpose of it was to sample some local cuisine to perhaps get some new ideas for his own bakery, and pick up a few ingredients that were hard to come by in Ponyville. Cup Cake had encouraged him to bring Pumpkin Cake along with him as well, saying that it would be a good bonding experience for the two of them. While initially not to fond of the idea of having to babysit while on this trip, Mr. Cake eventually relented, figuring that it would be easier on his wife to share some of the load rather than leaving both twins alone with her.

The long train ride to Canterlot was uneventful enough, Pumpkin was well behaved. They played, she ate, and then napped, she was on her best behavior. Pumpkin had continued to stay on her best behavior even while Carrot Cake was looking around at the various bakeries and marketplace stalls that carried all sorts of unique ingredients. It was while he was preoccupied with browsin the merchandise in one particular stall that he suddenly noticed that his foal-carrier that he was wearing had gotten inexplicably lighter. Upon noticing this, Mr. Cake turned his head to see that, to his dismay, Pumpkin was now longer in her carrier. Pumpkin was struck with terror by this realization, realizing that Pumpkin must've used her magic to either lift herself out of the carrier, or to teleport her to Celestia-knows-where.

Carrot Cake had now frantically searched every stall in the marketplace and had barged into various businesses asking if they'd seen his daughter, some of whom would simply answer no, while others would ask him to leave because he was scaring off customers. Finally he came to Pony Joe's, a local establishment run by Doughnut Joe, his competitor-turned-associate from the National Dessert Competition. Mr. Cake had briefly met Joe once while he was in Ponyville puttin the finishing touches on his Donutopia, but at the moment the owner of the establishment was the last thing on the earth pony's mind as he burst through the door of Pony Joe's and shouted at the top of his lungs, "Has anypony seen a unicorn foal around here?! Yellow coat, orange mane… And… Please, I need to find her!" Mr. Cake shouted franitcally, his lower lip quivering in a mix of fear and anger.

The light orange pegasus jumped nearly to the ceiling when the tall, lanky stallion charged in, asking about his daughter.

The mare landed on her hooves and spun around to face Carrot Cake, recognizing him from occasional visits to Ponyville in her work.

"OH! Carrot Cake! Thank Celestia you are here! We have been trying to arrange getting her home, but she wont sit still for anypony but the Professor."

She stood aside and swept a hoof grandly toward the sight of the notorious unicorn foal and the green, elderly Professor Krashkop.

Candy wiped her face in relief with a wingtip. "I was about to arrange sending a yacht to Ponyvile to pick you or your wife up, but I see that's not needed now..."

"Oh! Tank Celestia you are here, Herr Cake!" Professor Krashkop neighed when he spotted Carrot Cake enter the store. "Vee have been doing are best to take care of little fraulien Pumpkin Cake here for you! She has been a sveet little angel for us! You und Cup Cake must be very proud indeed, ja?"

The green Pegasus stallion was VERY relieved to see Carrot Cake. Although he was enjoying entertaining Pumpkin Cake immersely, the elderly pony was starting to tire out. His trotting gate had become more labored and his singing less loud as time progressed. He wasn't a young colt anymore! Professor Krashkop galloped over to Carrot Cake, turning so he could see his daughter was still on his back.

• 2 weeks later...

Pumpkin waggled her little hooves in the air, reaching for her father with a smile that could melt chocolate. She looked so innocent! It was hard to imagine that earlier she had the doughnut shop in absolute chaos, not to mention the mess she made. The little foal made several gestures that implied falling, stuff getting smooshed, then she twisted her face in a frown and scrubbed herself with her little hooves to imply the bath. The creamy blue bow stuck atop her ducktail mane was displaced from her ordeal in the dish sink earlier, and she smelled slightly of dish soap and frosting still. With Pumpkin's little story told, she patted the Professor's back, wondering if Carrot would like to ride him as well. He was quite fun, and did speak funny.

2z5nalg.jpg

Joe smiled in relief as Mr. Cake entered his shop. As adorable as Pumpkin Cake was, she sure was a hassle! He wished that he could have taken better care of the foal, and not let her destroy his shop. When she grew older, she was going to be a force to be reckoned with!

"Ah! Mr. Cake! So nice to see you!!"

Joe said, a little too enthusiastically, making his way out from behind the counter. His hoofsteps were slippery and squished beneath him, chocolate frosting, sprinkles, custard, creams, and jelly sticking to his hooves. He lifted a hoof to shake with Mr. Cake, but realised it was covered in sugary "goodness"

"Er, so sorry Mr. Cake, but my hooves are covered in sticky stuff, and I'd rather not shake hooves that way. And I'm sorry about the mess in here, Pumpkin Cake has been on quite a little rampage!"

Joe felt so embarrassed, inviting competition and a business partner into his shop just to remove a squirming unicorn foal that he couldn't handle. Joe wanted to be a father someday, and this had been good experience. He also felt like he would be a horrible father, considering how good natured Pumpkin Cake was. Despite mischevious, she was a good little foal.

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC oops, forgot to check if this updated. might as well give it a bump...)

Candy looked at Pony Joe looking sad and embarrased. She understood since she was feeling much the same way. Here she was, a tamer of wild beasts, stymied by a little foal.

The pegasus looked back over her shoulder at her stuck-together wings "Dont feel bad Pony Joe, Apparently foal watching is not a knack one gets untill they have one of their own."

She giggled "It will be a relief now to spend the day with that Manticore. No offense, Mr. Cake."

Candy beeps Pumpkin Cake on the nose. "Silly filly..."

Professor Krashkop smiled as he watched the lovely reunion between Pumpkin Cake and her father. Sure, the elderly green Pegasus' back and mane were all sticky from the happy foal's hooves, but that didn't seem to matter at the moment. Besides, it made the glasses wearing stallion very happy that he was able to help!

"Dere now, mein filly, you are safe," the Professor said with a wide grin. "You have quite an energetic daughter dere, herr Cake!'

It was at that moment that the stomach of the green Pegasus rumbled, loudly.

"Oh my, pardon me folks. Looks like mein stomach is trying to tell me someting!"

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC: I'd be quite happy to continue it .)

There was a putt-putt-putt noise from outside and a hiss of escaping steam. In through the door came a blue and white dappled unicorn mare, wearing a pair of flying goggles and a saddle arrangement on her back with the most peculiar contraption. The rear part, sticking out from overr her rump was a fan tail made of orange dyed canvas and thin metal spars, that folded together and ratracted into the main body of the device at a tap on a shoulder control with her cheek. On top of the saddle was a small steam engine of intricate contruction, with metal segmented pipes leading to a pair of orange dyed canvas bat-wings, all intrcate brass joints, spars and pistons. They were folding tight against her saddle, and the multiple exhaust tubes poking up from the device were still trickling steam.

"Hey Joe! Need some doughnuts to go... huh that rhymes... so now you know, and knowing is half the battle, and doughnuts will be the other half. Speaking of which, it looks like you've had a bit of a battle in here. Oh, and a coffee, a large coffee, very large coffee, strong enough so it melts the spoon. I've been up all night working on my latest design,and i have a downed passenger dirigible north of Canterlot to go and fix, so I need the wake-up juice... did I mention I wanted doughnuts? I think I ate... when did I eat? Anyway, I'm hungry, which means it's time to eat more."

Wingnut, who never went by her original given name of Flight of Fancy, was a regular at Pony Joe's. Her repair shop/dirigible was based out of Cloudsdale, and since Canterlot was a crossing point for the air-ship routes going east to Germaney and the provinces, and west to Aquelia, north to Stalliongrad and South to the cities of the strand, she frequently flew past on one of her missions of mechanical mercy. Her somewhat disjointed prose was normal as well, a combination of too little sleep, too many ideas sparking randomly under her horn, and a natural tendency to motormouth.

"Pumpkin!" Carrot Cake exclaimed as he grabbed Pumpkin Cake off of Professor Krashkop's back and hugged her tightly. "Oh thank Celestia you're okay! I thought I would have to search all over Canterlot for you!" Carrot said as his arms around his daughter tightened, happy to have her in his hooves once again. "Thank you, sir." Carrot said to the professer with a wamr smile. "I can't tell you how grateful I am for... Oh, Doughnut Joe!" he said, seeming surprised, apparently he had been in such a panic before that he hadn't even noticed the name of the restaurant that he had entered. "I guess this must be Pony Joe's then. Very nice place you've got here." Carrot Cake said, having only met Doughnut Joe before now, he'd never actually been to Pony Joe's before now. He looked around while listening to Doughnut Joe, his attention going back to the stallion as he explained the mess that Pumpkin had made. "Oh no... I'm very sorry about that, Doughnut Joe." he said surveying the mess. "Pumpkin really can be a hoof-ful sometimes. Don't worry though, I'll pay for all the damges that she's done, it's the least I can do for you finding and taking care of her. How much?" Carrot asked as he produced his coinpurse from his saddlebag.

"It vas a pleasure to take care of Pumpkin Cake!" Professor Krashkop neighed with a beaming smile. "Und don't vorry about dee clean up, Herr Joe. I vill be more den happy to help vith dat also! Vee vill have dis donut shop lookin' vonderba in no time!"

The elderly Pegasus walked over to Pumpkin who was now with her dad.

"Und I hope YOU had a good time today, fraulein Pumpkin Cake! You are such a darling little filly!" the Professor said as he smiled at her.

Joe waved goodbye to Pumpkin Cake and her father, preparing to serve Wingnut. He smiled, happy to have such great friends around when he needed them. Sure, Pumpkin Cake had been quite a hassle, but she was still young and mannerless. Besides, she really was a sweet little thing underneath the mischief.

"Goodbye, Carrot Cake! Pleasure seeing you again! And your little filly was no problem at all."

He turned to the Professor next, smiling.

"Thanks again, Professor. Now, what would you like to order, Wingnut?"

"Didn't i say? I must be more tired than I thought! I need a very large coffee of spoon melting strength, and doughnuts, a half dozen should do whatever you've got going, but make sure there's one of your strawberry and cream crullers if you've got one."

She yawned and put her hoof over her mouth. "I definitely need that coffee."

Suddenly she noticed the green pegasus. "Professor Krashkop? It's an honour to meet you! I read your latest paper on non-translinear reciprocators in a high pressure steam system. It was neat! I applied the idea to my Auto-wing Mk 23. What do you think? I've gotten almost another half wingpower out of it in level flight."