Why is the first step is the hardest? [Open, Canterlot]

Earth Writer had begun to despair of this day ever being productive, after the thrid time he'd strained his eyes to catch all the print on Equestria Daily's classifieds section. Most ponies who put out ads in the section were the upper-middle or lower-upper classes that were looking for clerks or laborers, and the tan unicorn didn't think of himself as either. *I am a geographer, a scholar, a writer. There has got to be somepony looking for at least one out of three.*

Maybe there was, but they didn't put their ads out in this paper. Sighing, Earth Writer pulled back the hoof that had supported the paper on the table, letting it flop down as he rested his head on his forehoof. With a little telekinesis, he pulled the now-lukewarm cup of tea he'd bought and drained it, grimacing a bit at the bitter tase. He always let the leaves steep too long; not that they were of that good a quality. Pony Joe's this wasn't, but the little street cafe sold a hot beverage and small pastry for half a bit, and let you read a newspaper for free, catering to both the workers and the job-seekers in this neighborhood in the capital's New town district.

"Well," he muttered, brushing some stray hairs from his mane with a hoof, "This isn't getting me anywhere. Seems I've got to go out and look for appropriate work." Tossing the cup away and refolding the paper, he stepped out into the street, initially unsure of where to start looking, before deciding to head towards Old town, where you could find most ponies this time of day. "Got to meet ponies, that's what my professor said. Better than hanging around alone, anyhow." After announcing his intentions to an audience of none, he set off.

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, an upper class pony and business owner in Ponyville is writing a classified ad for somepony to write his biography. He was simply too busy running a business, one that was growing. He sent it into Equestria Daily. It specified that, at the request of the employee, he will travel to where they were, or pay for them to travel to Ponyville, as well as cover room and board.

The sound of a lone typewriter echoed out in the Equestria Daily office, the tapping and the ticking and the whirring of it starting a new line were all I knew

Tickatickatickaticktick...tick...

Scrrrrrrcch!

Tickatickatakatitick....

Scrrrrrch!

A Blue pony, sat typing endlessly, while everyone else was gone. He wrote nothing, well, nothing of worth is a better term.

Always pointless celebrity stories here. Why did he even get into the business again? He should have realized he'd just be writing more expose's on The Great and Powerful Trixie's last Public relations blunder, and Fancy Pants's new declaration to the high society who never read the paper anyway...

*Oh Byline Buck, what have you gotten yourself into. Half the staff is either on vacation or sleeping in, and no one cares except for the ponies who run the papers out. We need new blood in this operation. No one'll notice if I run a small ad in there...*

He rips out the column on the Carriage recall that Princess Celestia made, fear of safety and loose wheels or what have you, and began meticulously drafting an ad, which read

To All Ponies with writing talent: New Faces sought at Equestria Daily. Submit a copy of your work, and report to Pony Resources for an interview. Will send letters for exact dates. Respond ASAP. Good Wages and Good Work

(OOC: I don't think EW can read ads that aren't in the morning edition; are you describing ads he might have seen, or ones currently being written? Just want to be sure before I write a post)

*I really should have known that this would get me nowhere.* Earth Writer returned to his quarters late in the afternoon, feeling slightly embarassed. He'd spent the day walking to and around Old Town, and that's not something a pony should do when he has "no visible means of support." The dirty looks some of the upper class gave him sped him along before the constables could, which only made things worse. The unicorn could never get over his sensitivity of social shame unless he was busy with something, and with no job...

*Looks like it's crackers and peanut butter for dinner again.*

And so to bed, hoping the next day would bring opportunity.

~

The next day brought sharper hunger, which Earth Writer assuaged the best he could with black coffee and a slightly stale croissant. The pangs had one positive effect, in bringing this day's classified into sharper focus. Not just one, but two ads showed promise! *Hm, calls for a biographer, and for a reporter. Not exactly part of my repertoire, but it's better than anything I've seen so far. Now, which one...?*

After a moment's consideration, he decided to try for both. After all, he could do the paper's work and a little work on the bio each day, right? Getting a publishing byline, and rich connections, could only bode well for the future, right?

With that in mind, he wrote a letter to this mysterious businesspony, sending word of his interest, and Earth Writer's address. Then, he gathered some samples of his work into a saddlebag, to report to EQD's offices in person.

He went into the offices, having become less sure of himself with each step. Most of his writing was academic in nature, not boring (so he hoped), but not really the kind of stuff editors seemed to like these days. No celebrities, for one thing.

The unicorn found no one to greet him, and wandered until he heard the clacking of the typewriter. Approaching the pony there, he asked, "Excuse me, I read that there's interest in new writers for this paper?"

Meanwhile, the enterprising earth pony in Ponyville was writing back, figuring he would be the one headed to Canterlot. In the letter, he inquired about lodgings, preferred wages, and simply inquiring to know the pony better, as he felt a good personal relationship is the foundation of a good work relationship. He sent the letter, this time with the signature, "Grey." At the bottom. He sent it with his owl, ensuring immediate delivery.

Byline's ears perked up, something to catch his attention, a glimmer of auditory hope, not the drab story that his ever distant editor kept him writing

He looks over and sees that a Unicorn has answered his ad.

Hello, the name's Byline Buck. I take it you got the ad? Glad to see someone responded to it. Tell me, do you have any original pieces of yours? If so, I'll start asking you questions.

I know...I know that it said Human Resources would talk to you, but I haven't seen him since Celestia knows when. Probably in Ponyville discovering his "Inner Farmer" or something.

(OOC:I'll have to get to the letter later, Grey, after Earth Writer finishes his interview with Byline Buck)

"Well..." The Unicorn levitated a sheaf of paper out of the saddlebags, but hesistated before handing it over. "I really don't have much experience in journalism, to be perfectly honest. Most of my work is in longform, but It should give you some impression as to my style." Earth Writer handed over his papers to Byline Buck, careful that they didn't spill on his desk, or mingle with the others.

The Unicorn's "style" was, well, probably not like what a pony'd usually see in a newspaper. It didn't really help much that the bulk of his portfolio was multiple-page geographical essays, mixed in with longer papers, both of which still had his professors' marks on them.

The content of the papers was actually more interesting than their style, if one didn't mind having to deal with a lot of information. The longest paper dealt with Equestrian immigration policy, and how the diffusion of certain species throughout the kingdom responded to changes in legislation.

Most of the shorter essays dealt with geography as it related to, well, anything. Tech development, crop correlations to urban planning, etc.

I give a cursory glance to the papers, seeing that he's verbose, but toss it aside, noting the political piece.

Okay, listen. You bringing in your work was honestly a formality. I needed to see that you actually know how to form sentences. You can do that, now, this is something important.

I stand up from my dusty brown cubicle, and start to open the windows as I speak, letting light float in, highlighting the dust and showing how stained and filth ridden the shag carpet is.

Do you care? Important things, do you actually care about what happens in Equestria. Politics. Education. Movements and the heart of this country, and Canterlot?

What about The Facts and Honesty?

I get close up to the pony claiming to want a job and get a little louder, letting out years of stress and anxiety in this one heartfelt speech, walking around him as I speak, like a manticore tangles with an innocent forest animal.

Or are you just here to earn two bits to buy yourself a coffee table, and would keep reporting the same schlock that put Equestria Daily to be the "symbol of journalistic excellence" it is today.

I start to huff out as my face turns faintly purple with the blood rushing to my face. Slowly I let it fade, and stand next to him and say, in a friendlier but stern tone.

Your papers say that you're educated, that you know what's going on, we, well, I need that around here. But, I need to see you tell me that you actually give a damn about the issues.

I pause, letting the environment sink in.

That, that is how you're writing should sound when you draft an important article. So, answer me, you feel you've got the stuff?

Earth Writer felt himself grow very awkward and uncomfortable, as Byline circled him, pouring so much emotion and volume into his speech that the unicorn was certain that the speaker would give himself a coronary. This wasn't helped by the fact that, in all honesty, Earth Writer was just looking for a job, and didn't come here in any fit of passion to "restore journalistic excellence."

*In order to prove that I'll be the honest journalist he wants, am I going to have to lie?* That did not bode well for his future in the office.

The tan unicorn looked down at the carpet, picking at a hole with his hooves, before speaking. "I've never had to write with daily deadlines before, so I can't say. If I got that worked up every day about a different thing... well, I'd probably run screaming through the streets. I've heard that detatchment was supposed to be a virtue in this business, I supposed for even-handedness, but now I think for sanity as well."

He looked up then. "I have a commitment to truth, to factualness. I care about being accurate, and I know how to connect the dots. I can write to show a thing's relevance, write to convince someone else to care. But if you leave me to my own devices in looking for copy every day, I can't say that you wouldn't end up with shlock or fluff. It would be completely different shlock and fluff, at least." He paused, thinking a bit. "Actually, now that i think about it, I would make a better columnist than reporter. You'd want somepony with a better education in journalism for your daily bread." He shrugged. "That's honesty, take it or leave it."

I chuckle slightly, smiling at him proudly.

The fact that you stated the truth about what your good at, show me something. You'll go far in this business, I know it. Journalism is something you learn just as much in the field as you do in class. For now, I'd be glad to take someone in here who can actually think for themselves. You'll be doing a weekly column, call it what you want, do what you want with it. Just make it something to remember, something to get people to think.

Also, as your senior, I say that the first thing I want you to do, for the next week, is to just walk around the city. Live out there and get a feel for what people need to hear, not what they want to hear. Report back to me on it, keep it simple and short in your notes. Then, I want to see a column written out the week after, ready for the presses. After that, you do what you have to.

By the way, what's your name? I'll have to know who you are, seeing as we are now colleagues.

*Well, it seems honesty really is the best policy! Who'd have thought?* The unicorn thought, his slightly nervous expression morphing into a grin. "Alright then! I'm Earth Writer, don't know why I omitted to mention that. Well, I'll get to work then." He gave a cheery wave of a hoof as he walked back out the door. "See you next week!"

~

Earth Writer's next move was back to his mailbox, rather than out into the city. His other prospective employer would have probably written him by now; rich businessponies tended not to wait for the normal mail service.

Sure enough, the was an owl, with a letter. The box attendent at Earth Writer's flat was already feeding it. Apparently, it had been instructed to wait for a reply.

Looking over the attached letter, the unicorn got out some paper to write his reply. He wrote of a couple of vacancies he knew about, though he didn't know what kind of comfort standards this "Grey" was accustomed to. He really had no idea what wages were appropriate, so he sent an inquiry, also wondering if the work would be a flat fee, or a percentage of the royalties.

*As for myself...* He wasn't really sure how much to reveal, given that there was only so much paper one could put in an envelope. "Well," He thought aloud, "I grew up in Ponyville, I might as well ask if I'd know him." Mentioning this fact, along with what house his parents lived, and his chosen subject for study in Canterlot, he felt was sufficient.

After licking and stamping the envelope, he figured he may as well spend the rest of today at the cafe, observing what ponies were there. It was lunchtime anyway, and he felt confident enough of future income to order substantial sandwhiches. Picking a seat with a good view of the tables, Earth Writer sat down to his meal, notebook out.

A white pegasus made a show of barging into the small cafe, and loudly demanding service. "Coffee! Now!" the pegasus demanded. A rush of hooves behind the counter and a clatter of coins later, the pegasus, now armed with a large steaming mug of coffee, eyes up the tables filled with ponies. Sat at the back was a tan unicorn watching the debacle with mild interest. *Foal's play* The pegasus stomps over to the chair chair opposite the book smart unicorn. Without even asking permission the pegaus sits down forcefully and takes a long loud slurp from his mug. Seeing no mats on the table, the pegasus plonks the mug down messily on the unicorns notepad with a smile on his face. His dark green eyes fix on the unicorn's face as he awaits some reaction. *Come on punk. Complain. Make my day.*

Whatever he'd expected to see, it wasn't this. The cafe was far from high class, but he'd never seen anypony come in here like it was a saloon bar west of Appleoosa. *Seems like today might be rather newsworthy after all.*

Earth Writer was a little nonplussed to see that the Pegasus had singled him out, however, and so made no sound of protest when he took a seat opposite. And then, for no possible reason other than spite, the brute ruined his notebook by splashily setting down his cheap coffee. The look from those dark green eyes betrayed that their owner was itching for a fight.

The unicorn's injured dignity and desperate etiquette produced a myriad of possible responses, most of them quite stupid. To stall for time, Earth Writer took a big bite out of his sandwich, chewing slowly as his eyes stared back. *Alright, don't provoke him. Just keep your cool, think of something non-confrontational to say.* After venting most of his frustrations through his mandibles, he swallowed, then spoke. "Eh, what's up, doc?"

"Think you're better than me, don'cha? Huh?" The pegasus snorted. He grabbed the sandwich out of his target hoof and took a big bite. "You think you can come in here all hoity toity and mess me around?" He shouted, spewing half chewed sandwich all over the place. The pegasus swallowed as he leaned forwards uncomfortably close and growled, "Who do you think you're kidding?" A lack of dental hygiene left its mark on his breath, which then left its mark on Earth Writer. "You've hurt me. Now the way I see it, I either hurt you." The pegasus somehow pounded one of his forehooves into the other with a resounding smack. "Or you make the pain go away with a small gift. Of bits. All of them." The Pegasus's gaze hardened as he stretched out his hoof.

(Sorry for the late replies, my work schedule is pretty hectic.)

By now, Earth Writer was no longer able to completely keep his cool. He knew, of course, that lashing out would only bring a swift and brutal beatdown, but how long could anypony expect to put up with this abuse?

"All the bits I had with me paid for that sandwich." The unicorn spoke in a strained whisper. "I don't have much more to my name. Just because I'm a unicorn doesn't mean I'm not poor. As for the rest, I've never met you before in my life, so I suspect you have me mistaken for someone else. If not, I'd like to know just what you think gives you the right to ROB ME!"

The last two words came out in a sudden yell, as much to vent emotion as to appeal for outside intervention.

The pegasus pulls back and stares menacingly around the now quietened cafe. Ponies hurriedly avoid his gaze and stare back at what they were doing, although at a much quieter volume. The pegasus knew they were all watching now though. Physical violence at this stage would not go over well. He had to make sure that he was still in control of the situation. It was then that Earth Writer's words sank in, he had no money. A furious war took place inside his head. Half of him suspected that it had to be a lie, this pony was sat back alone writing. Anypony who works in a cafe must have a demanding job with a decent pay. The other reminded him that the cafe was pretty budget, and any real moneybags wouldn't even contemplate this greasy death trap. Ponies were watching, but he couldn't let this snob beat him. There must be something worth taking. The pegasus sized him up. Maybe he'd prove useful to the association. It wasn't everyday a down on their luck unicorn appeared here. Time to slip on the old silver tongue.

The pegasus suddenly burst into a hearty laugh earning the stares of all the ponies once more. "Oh, Tinpot, you wound me," he stated loud enough for everypony nearby to hear. He then took a seat back down opposite the unicorn and picked up his coffee mug and took a controlled sip before placing it on his side of the table again, a respectable distance from the still soaked notepad. *Time to lie through my teeth* "I'm terribly sorry about all that. I thought you were here undercover. We've had police ponies investigating the establishment before, and you've been here practically every day for a week. It's quite rare to see a unicorn around here. Well, one that isn't a student." The pegasus chuckled at his own joke. "Allow me to properly introduce myself, the name's Double Take. I'm a member of a certain group that may have use for a unicorn. Before I go any further, would you be interested?

After the Pegasus had removed his coffee cup, Earth Writer levitated the notebook up, letting a few drops of the brown beverage drip onto the table. Sighing, he tossed it aside into the nearby trash can.

Turning back to Double take, he rested his chin on his hooves as he listened to the silver-tongued shpiel. *His timing kind of stinks, considering I just landed two jobs this morning.* What's more, Earth Writer was raised to value politeness, and be a law-abiding citizen of Equestria. He felt internally as if he should just tell this boor to buck off, before leaving this dive never to darken its doors again. *On the other hand... I did just become a reporter, and this is nothing if not a story.*

Aloud, he said, "I don't want to sound supercilious, but you've pretty much done everything in your power to make me uninterested in any further association with you. As it so happens, I just recently landed a comission, which you set back by ruining my notebook, on top of which you have stolen my lunch." He closed his eyes and rubbed his temples for a few seconds, before continuing. "Well, make your pitch. You have an uphill climb, to say the least."

On reflection Double Take could have kept this more polite. Then again, it was a very rare occasion for him to have to use both his diplomatic and aggressive approach. He sighed inwardly, but kept a wide smile on his lips. "Well. It's quite simple. A few jobs with my associates and you'll never have to frequent dumps like this again. I'm sure your commission pays well, but few jobs pay quite as well as ours. If its notepads you're worried about, I could replace that lickety-split. Unicorns are always valuable assets, as I'm sure you understand. You could have a future with our group, with plenty of room for advancement. Sure it comes with a risk, but its relatively minor for you. I'm sure with your kind of skill set, you could stay on the sidelines and still make a very competitive salary." Double Take could see that this unicorn was still uninterested. He needed an extra edge. *Time to appeal to his more base side.*

"Oh, there's plenty of other perks too, almost too numerous to count. With our supply chains, you can get hold of all kind of things, from mares to hallucinogenics. Ponies critiquing your works could all come up with stellar reviews. Old enemies could be taken down a peg. Still not interested, Mr...?"