Isn't this supposed to be a show for KIDS?

flutterscotch

Hello, Aimee here! 32 going on 10 year old on-again/off-again pony collector, (it's back to ON) from Salem, Massachusetts. I possibly made your online Math course for college. I'm married to this guy: http://www.airforcejoyride.com/. I am frequently found in an unladylike situation, while wearing a vintage dress, sprawled on the ground with my camera and an assortment of toys.

I've been a My Little Pony fan since almost day one, when my cousin got Blossom for her birthday, and I freaked out about her. A year went by and my aunt bought me Twilight. Followed by more ponies on my birthday, and even MORE for every holiday until those "My Little Pony Mommy" themed commercials came out, and I kind of lost interest (too much MTV). My last pony was a flutterpony, and I do not even remember which because soon after my mom threw out all of my toys for not cleaning my room. Then in the mid 90's I was volunteering at a thrift store around Christmas and found a completely trashed and disgusting Butterscotch in the bottom of the Toys for Tots barrel. They let me keep her and then "paid" me for the rest of my 2 years volunteering there in grubby ponies and vintage clothing, which worked out because they couldn't sell either, and I've collected ever since, and at one time had nearly 400 ponies. I am not a good collector, though, because I don't care about devaluing them. Even when I was a kid ponies wound battle Transformers. RNFB = an opportunity to gleefully rip open a package and get that plastic pony smell.

I found out about MLP:FIM after several years of IGNORING my little pony (after the first My Little Pony Convention in 2007, which pretty much soured me to them, and I sold a bunch off, although I did keep my absolute favorites), but I follow Cartoon Brew and saw an article called "The End of the Creator-Driven Era in TV Animation". I a momentary dork freak-out because I saw Applejack, went and read as much as I could about it, was completely SHOCKED that the cartoon was watchable (while I have collected ponies, I have always HATED the cartoons, and only watched the original one as a kind of matching game, and because it came on sandwiched between Gumby and Jem). Not only watchable, but my new favorite cartoon since Metalocalypse! Most surprising was Pinkie Pie, who was the character in the previous line I most wanted to blow up. When I of all people want to hug Pinkie Pie, you know the writing and character development is great. I joined this forum today because my husband, while tolerant and supportive of my pony habit (which he calls "pony running" and alludes to them in the same way one would talk about cocaine at all times), has had enough; his eyes are starting to glaze over every time I mention them.

Favorite FIM Ponies: Twilight Sparkle (poor clueless Twilight, so smart, but soooo clueless) and Applejack. Dash reminds me too much of a friend of mine.

Other Collections: Blythe, Gumby, Moomin (Mumintrollet), the girls from 80's action figure lines aimed at guys, other 80's toy lines, small 70's dolls, Treeson.

Other loves: John Arne Sæterøy, Quintron and Miss Pussycat, MST3k, Space Ghost, Camping, X-Men and related superhero-Soap Operas, The Legend of Zelda, Muppets, Paper Rad, Letterpress.

Hi all!

I keep tryin to one-up you as far as shame is concerned. The best I can conjurr is my ability to sing along with those song parodies found at the end of Bill Nye the Science Guy episodes.

Hmm.. I am Ok with this intro thread just being a hilarious game of nerdy one-upmanship.

Those Bill Nye parodies were pretty bad, but since I can immediately inwardly groan at the Nirvana one, at least I am familiar with what you're talking about. So you get about 5 nerd points for that, but I at least get a nerd point for knowing immediately what youa re talking about.

Hmm. ok, nerdy one-upmanship. i once made an X-Men action figure out of a She-Ra doll:

2314016548_a9d36bf06e.jpg

Man, I hope really that other people start trying to one-up in here so we can see the nerdiest expression of hilarious and awesome.

Aw, River, you need a pony. Somebody get this man a pony!

Flutterscotch, sounds like you wadded through it a little bit longer then I did. I fell away around 2005, I got bored with how one-sided a lot of collectors are. (Funny thing, I re-joined the collector forums several weeks ago so I could stay on top of some of the new toys, and got one of my posts removed for saying "Ponychan" in it. XD ) Never sold off my collection though, of course, it's small enough it all fits into a single Rubbermaid tub.

You do letterpress? Letterpress is awesome. I prefer screen-printing though (mostly because I can screen-print in my garage without fancy equipment).

You do letterpress? Letterpress is awesome. I prefer screen-printing though (mostly because I can screen-print in my garage without fancy equipment).

I totally agree about the one-sided collector thing. I bought Baby Sapphire once (one if the Jewelry Babies) and detinseled it. Got a LOT of flak. A lot of hysterical "how could you ruin a pony, that's so mean" (anthropomorphizing a little too much), "how could you devalue that" (this one particularly bugs me. If I want to invest, I'm gonna stick it in my IRA or 401K, NOT into plastic horses), "OMG that's so rare, think of all the people who would want it in their collection" (but it's never LEAVING my collection, and I like it so much better this way).

I used to manage a silkscreen shop! Mostly t-shirts with soy-based inks so it took up quite a bit of space. Our letterpress is a Kelsey 6x10 kelsey-6x10-excelsior-letterpress-printing-press-deboss_150571905368.jpg and fits on our worktable :P

Kirby Crackle, why yes it IS Polaris. Hmmm... What can I say to top AMVs... I will have to think about that.

MLPT, that is AWESOME!

Hiya! On the subject of nerdy oneupmanship, my sisters and I have spontaneously burst out singing entire Weird Al songs, usually the Star Wars ones, like "The Saga Begins" or "Yoda". It's especially fun to do in public! :)

Sometimes peopl wonder why I sing aloud only sections of Rolling Stones songs. Little do they know it is actually the Hot Rocks Polka off of UHF.

Guest ZiraStarfollower

In answer to the question, no, this show is for everypony. :)

I'm not sure why there's such a stigma about adults watching a show produced for kids. Honestly, even if I was 50 years old, I'd love this show. I'll never 'grow up', that's all there is to it. In fact, I don't think anyone completely grows up. Some people just get really good at masking their childish side, that's all.

That being said, welcome to the forums, Flutterscotch!

Hiya! On the subject of nerdy oneupmanship, my sisters and I have spontaneously burst out singing entire Weird Al songs, usually the Star Wars ones, like "The Saga Begins" or "Yoda". It's especially fun to do in public! :)

Sometimes peopl wonder why I sing aloud only sections of Rolling Stones songs. Little do they know it is actually the Hot Rocks Polka off of UHF.

Every time I am in a library, I picture the "Conan the Librarian" bit.