Sonic the Hedgehog General Thread

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I love Sonic games... The originals were the best. Sonic 2, Sonic and Knuckles, etc... I haven't played them in a long time, though.

Also...

Tails_the_fox_by_Team_Sonic_Lovers.png

StarTrekFacePalm.gif

... He needs better fan art.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Sonic fandom was the first fandom I was ever involved with. Was reading and writing fanfiction at the age of 11, had two terrible, inexcusably awful OCs, and bought nearly every Archie comic that was available in the catalogs.

Ah, the memories... anyone remember the great Sonic fanfic authors? Dan Drazen? Robert Brown and Francis Tolbert? Netraptor, Judas FM, Black Mantle, Red Sonic? Good times. :)

Looking forward to seeing what SEGA is going to show off at E3 this year. I don't trust the rumors from The Sonic Stadium, because honestly they sound too good to be true. But there's been a great track record for Sonic games lately, so I think whatever we get will be pretty interesting.

But there's been a great track record for Sonic games lately, so I think whatever we get will be pretty interesting.

You have a much more optimistic outlook on Sonic's track record than I do. :lol:

Colours was slightly above average. Generations was very good. And Racing Transformed was good, albeit it was a racing game.

You have a much more optimistic outlook on Sonic's track record than I do. :lol:

Colours was slightly above average. Generations was very good. And Racing Transformed was good, albeit it was a racing game.

colours was more than above average for a platformer, in my eyes. The soundtrack and creative art direction overshadowed the blocky level geometry, and the control was a huge step up from Unleashed, though it wasn't perfected until Generations. I really like Racing Transformed, but I haven't played it as much as I played the first Sonic & Sega All-Stars racing when it first came out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went back to playing Spiral Knights and found something wonderful in my inbox. Those of you who bought Sonic CD on Steam and had it on your hard drive/Steam library got a set of Metal Sonic costume armor! Not to mention they had a promo some time ago where you could Tails' Tails as a costume item but it is incredibly expensive to acquire now, like 3500 CE. Multiply that by approximately 6,800 and you'll get it's value in crowns. Yeah it's basically like trying to buy a Santa Hat in Runescape now.

I actually enjoyed Sonic Unleashed. Don't see why it is so unliked, but I assume it is because of Chip. Sonic Transformed is Awesome! Really do hope to see more DLC and characters for it. Hopefully not one Named Miku >.>

Chip was one of the reasons, what with him being the typically annoying character. Then there was the werehog segments which were complained about for a few reasons: there was no strategy to the fights, there were too many werehog levels, and the fact that there was even a werehog to begin with.

Personally I enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty good game, something like a 6-7 out of 10, but I can see where some of the complaints came from.

Also, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Freedom Planet (an indie game that takes some inspiration from sonic and even started as a sonic fan game) has been funded on Kickstarter! :Pinkie:

Chip was one of the reasons, what with him being the typically annoying character. Then there was the werehog segments which were complained about for a few reasons: there was no strategy to the fights, there were too many werehog levels, and the fact that there was even a werehog to begin with.

Personally I enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty good game, something like a 6-7 out of 10, but I can see where some of the complaints came from.

Also, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Freedom Planet (an indie game that takes some inspiration from sonic and even started as a sonic fan game) has been funded on Kickstarter! :Pinkie:

Pretty much this. The speed sections of Unleashed were actually pretty good. There were some issues with the finer elements of controlling Sonic but overall they were enjoyable experiences. Unfortunately, the werehog sections were incredibly mediocre, and there were far too many of them.

I personally don't get how some people dislike Colours.. well, scratch that, I'm going to assume it's because Colours dropped the annoying 'omg dark and dramatic!!' narrative choices with gods, and 'high stakes!' nonsense that we've had to deal with for the past years in the series. Personally, I loved the new direction they took with it. I loved that they made Sonic a snarky, wise-cracking jerk again, particularly. I loved the non-serious writing, and the endless barrage of homages that Colours had to previous, more classic Sonic games (with giant space bases, chaining up planets, using living critters as the power source for robots.. the return of the badnik-styled enemies.. it being a distinctive 'Sonic vs Eggman' story for the first time in forever).

Plus, what's not to love about scenes like this?

Sonic colours was a fairly good game and I really enjoyed it. It did a good job of bringing back some nostalgia with me when I played sonic 2 which made me very happy. The voice actors were probably my favorite except for tails who I think is better in sonic generations. The gameplay was amazing and all the worlds looked fantastic. Sonic colours is probably one of my favorite of the series and revived the cannon storyline form shadow the hedgehog and sonic 06. I do think they could have done some things differently and made them better but there aren't much. I give it a 9/10.

I think what I sort of like is how the current Sonic Team is taking steps to bridge the old games in with the newer ones. Sonic 4, while having its flaws (primarily with the physics and the DIMPS-styled level design), actually does make the effort of making things connect a bit more. For one thing, there's the revelation of a link between Sonic 4 and Sonic CD, where the new Death Egg is built around Little Planet, using the theory of a Dyson sphere wherein the energy produced by a star is absorbed and used to generate power for the station. Not only is this a great way to bring back Little Planet (and subsequently explain where Metal Sonic went), but it's a great example of Eggman having mad science skills.

So what do you guys think will be next in store for sonic? do you think we will see a sonic 4: Episode 3? ( Unless it pulls a valve thing ) I personally would love a game as long as unleashed but without those quick time event things and I still cling on to that spec of hope that hyper sonic would one day return. haha

I think I'm also the only person on the planet who wants silver to have his own game...

Archived