Rocksteady [Final]

Name: Rocksteady

Sex: Male

Species: Zebra

Eye Color: Brown

Physique: Slight muscle. Tall and gangling.

Coat: Jagged edged black and grey stripes all over his body.

Mane Style: Long dark brown 'brotherlocks' tied into a ponytail (for he dislikes the term dreadlocks, since the word dread implies they're unkempt, and his are meticulously washed and retwisted).

Origin: Baltimare

Residence: Canterlot

Roleplay Type: FiM/Show Roleplay

Motivation: Learning magic and bringing it to his fellow Zebras.

Cutie Mark: A circle divided into three sections, colored red, black and green.

Likes: Magic, fish, veggie burgers, wubstep and hoof-hop, technology and Unyasian history.

Dislikes: Parties and social events that result in large turnouts. 50 Bit (his least favorite hoof-hop artist), onions and pets.

History: Rocksteady's family extends of course, across the sea to Unyasi, and as such, he refers to himself as an Equi-yasi even though he's native to Equestria. Rocksteady was born to his zebra father and earth pony mother in Baltimare and raised in Canterlot after his mother's expertise in magical studies when he was just a colt. Inheriting his mothers desire to learn about the arcane arts, he took it upon himself to do odd jobs around the city when he became of age in order to raise money for a few years in university. Currently, he's proving himself a decent scholar, and though he doesn't have the best marks, Rocksteady applies himself in order to continue his studies in magic. On occasion, he's considered becoming a professor and heading back to Baltimare to teach, but still has his life ahead of him to figure that out.

Parents: Rocksteady's father came up as a rough-and-tumble kind of guy from Manehattan. He ran the streets for a while before getting himself together by the time he became a stallion. By the time he became a social scientist living in Balitmare, he met Rocksteady's mother, a young student taking classes in the study of magic. After a few years of successful dating, they got married and had Rocksteady.

Cutie Mark Story: When he first took up magic theory, he was looking into his mother's research from years prior. He had managed to deduce that three things were involved in the creation of magic inherent to all creatures of Equestria. Spirit, Soul and Self. Soul, the unseen incorporeal part of us that controls how we feel. Spirit, the unseen incorporeal part of us that controls how we act. And Self, the complete manifestation of the two, the fusion of both that is the truth of who we are. The knowledge came to him as he continued to observe specific kinds. How pegasi worked with the sky, how earth ponies worked with the land and how unicorns handled everything inbetween. He became overjoyed at this information, and wondered how best to incorporate it into his teachings, as well as how to hopefully harness it one day. Though it was all theory, he still held onto his beliefs that he could make sense of it all with that dissertation. The cutie mark appeared on his flank, representing the conviction and the reality of his knowledge. Red for the spirit, green for the soul, and black for the self.

Flaws: Rocksteady gets by on pure luck mostly. While he can certainly get things done of his own volition, and do them well at that, he does them at his leisure. Also known as the eleventh hour. It's the kind of laziness that almost got him flunked out twice from university, and earns him the ire of his parents more often than not. Not to mention, he can become rather withdrawn when upset, and usually tries to avoid conflict entirely. This comes at the cost of his dignity for he rarely stands up for himself, and much rather wants to be friends with everypony.

Personality: Rocksteady is reserved, usually the quiet one, unless spoken to. He's a calm kind of zebra, though he's not completely averse to his moments of excitement. Rocksteady also enjoys when he can make others laugh, or even just to stick around him. Somewhat of a pushover though, he was mocked early on in Balitmare in his life, so sometimes, he has a tendency to associate indifference with dislike. Rocksteady is acutely aware of these flaws, but feels that life usually fixes these things for him. He can be quite passive as well. At least...until his choice of musics is brought up. Rocksteady is aware that zebras are more or less the target audience of hoof-hop, and wubstep isn't much more respected in manestream media across Equestria itself. As such, popular artists like 50 Bit who ruin the art form incite his anger, as well as ponies who remain convinced it's not a worthwhile form of music, and needs to be kept in little seedy neighborhoods like the one he grew up in, in Balitmare.

I have just a couple of things to mention about this app...just so there's a little clarity extended!

1: Considering that zebras can acquire their cutie mark one of two mentioned ways in the board Zebra canon, I'm drawn to the fact that you haven't made any real mention of whether or not this character has/has not achieved this status. I was more or less wondering if you simply forgot to add it, or hadn't considered one for the character...and given that he's a young stallion, this is something that needs to be clearly addressed since most ponies get their marks before leaving colthood.

2:

That others exist to insult what he likes to listen to is a form of annoyance that sticks with him.

Not so much a REAL issue as a case of my not being sure what this sentance is trying to say.

It may need to be just given a little additional touchup to help make clearer.

Shoot. I was sure I could just leave the cutie mark aspect behind.

Since Zebras are listed in the species that have cutie marks here, he will have to have a mark if you want him to be any older than a foal or young colt. Have you got any ideas as to what you want his mark and/or talent to be? If not, I could do my best to provide some suggestions based on what is otherwise a very good application. :)

Since Zebras are listed in the species that have cutie marks here, he will have to have a mark if you want him to be any older than a foal or young colt. Have you got any ideas as to what you want his mark and/or talent to be? If not, I could do my best to provide some suggestions based on what is otherwise a very good application. :)

T'would be a great help. If anything, I'd like it to be something like a spellbook or something. I know at some point in time, I'd like him to be able to cast spells through incantations and such. His talent? Erm...as far as I know, it seems to be based around teaching magic, or understanding it or something.

I like the idea of having his talent be teaching magic theory, perhaps even specializing in understanding and educating on Uchawi? (If you haven't looking through the Zebra Lore Page, I'd recommend going there for some ideas on what they can do in Mane RP)

As for his cutie mark, I think a simple, tribal-looking marking representative of magic or intelligence would work well for him, and would be more fitting with being a zebra.

• 4 weeks later...

Added a cutie mark story. I understand there may be some discrepancies with how he got his, because it was tied to a theory on magic that he came up with, but this is just how he sees it. Not defining itself because magic is an unpredictable force that needs manual control to be performed. Otherwise, I'm ready for him to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm so sorry this application is taking so long to process. We just need one little thing -- the theory about magic in the application should be clarified that it is just theory, as from how it is worded, it's not very clear and comes off like lore. Other than that, this application looks fine. Please comment when that clarification is made and I'll be happy to (finally) stamp this! :D