World of Emeralds - MLP/Sonic OOC/Information Thread [Now Open For Cast Auditions]

Needlemouse

Hoohhh, boy. Here goes nothin' then.

!!WARNING!!

The following section is very wordy and loaded with somewhat selfish (although I daresay eloquently and informatively put [/TootingMyOwnHorn]) assertation. It is lengthy and if you're just here to read the tidbits on the setup of the Crossover itself, kindly jump to the marked [THE PITCH] section a bit further down.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Howdy all, I'm Needlemouse, and I'll be explainin' how this is gonna work (at least for this particular Crossover, but I'll get to that right now) by laying down the basic ground rules:

• This is NOT the only MLP/Sonic Crossover. I'll say it right now. If anybody else wants to make their own Crossover using different characters, different universe and settings, then all the power in the world to ya! What this IS, however, is..

• This is a strictly MLP:FiM canon-oriented RP (it just happens to have Sonic dropped in there). What's that mean? Basically the same as it does for the mane WoE RP. Same attention to canon, same ground rules, same everythin'. That'll include playing cast characters as restricted to those with apps that have been approved (under the terms of being intended for Crossover RP) for those characters and such.3 Similarly, OC characters are subject to the same requirement of being up to mane RP standards. Pretty strict, I know, but again - not the only MLP/Sonic Crossover out there.

• The only Sonic-verse characters that'll be appearing in this RP will be Sonic, and the [chao] critter species. Yeah, I'm bettin' this'll be a reeaaaal popular decision, but I have my reasons1.

• The starting point for this thread will be set after the Iron Pony Competition 2012 event that has recently ended (at least I believe it's ended - if not assume this to be after regardless). Again, I have my reasons2 for this decision.

1 So right around now you're probably thinkin' "C'mon then, Needlemouse, let's hear this reason that makes you such a stick in the mud!" Well, quite frankly it's because.. Sonic RPs are messy. Sorry, but coming from a long experience of roleplaying, and a great deal of time spent in the Sonic community, this is a simple fact that I've learned. It has a tendency to get over the top in a pretty bad way, go off the rails and characters start popping up out of nowhere in the weirdest and most inexplicable ways and it's just.. messy.

Adding to this the fact that Crossovers are messy all by themselves, especially if you try to crash two universes into each other and struggle to prevent it all from imploding in on itself due to the clashing for how it all works and plays off of each other.. that's a double-sized mess. No thanks! I'd rather keep it simple, and the simplest thing here is to just drop the one character and as few elements as one can from one universe into the other, and just let those factors play off the rest of the world. It's less forced and far more natural from a narrative standpoint to just have one foreign object invade the land than have it all come crashing in.

So that's why it's just gonna be Sonic in Equestria (and some chao - because chao are cute and don't hurt nobody.. 'less they touch magical Emeralds. Then they turn into aquatic [biollante] beasts). For a similar example of how this works well, reference the Doctor Whooves crossover fiction, where the only elements from the Doctor Who series that's brought over are the Doctor himself, the TARDIS and the Sonic Screwdriver. A successful Crossover is more or less that: having your main protagonist find himself in a strange new world, and how he'll react to that. So that's what I'm going to do.

2 Naturally, this presents the other problem.. why am I setting this in accordance to the mane WoE RP's timeline and narrative? Well, simply put? 'Cause I can. That and WoE runs a tight ship of well-coordinated and thorough RP that adheres strictly to canon without any rocking of the proverbial boat. Basically, that means it's a stable (hah!) environment, which is what a Crossover needs to avoid the aforementioned 'going off the rails' travesty. Plus if nothing else, if anyone is as finicky about timelines as I am then they can be at ease with knowing at what point in their pony's character development the story is taking place. So yay for that!

3 So you've weathered the rest of this wordiness and such, and wanna know whatcha need to do to audition for an FiM Cast character? Pretty simple, really. Just use the same application form as usual, found here: [HERE] And then just post it in the Applications forum, with [Crossover] written into the title, whilst following the guidelines and rules regarding the rest of the application process. This especially applies to the part that states you should label the RP type as 'Crossover'; this is to avoid any conflict or confusion as to the intent and purpose of your application, particularly due to the new ruling that states Cast Applications should be done via PM (as this is not the Mane RP, however, it can be assumed that you needn't do such - if this is incorrect, I will promptly edit this accordingly). Once approved, simply notify and link to your approved app in this thread, and I'll add you to the Cast List below:

FiM Cast List:

Pinkie Pie – Rosewind

Rainbow Dash – Rosewind

Rarity - Villefort

Spike – Robikku Pegasus

Vinyl Scratch/DJ PON-3 – Robikku Pegasus

Current Chapters:

Act 1: A Foreigner Drops In [colour=#800080](DEAD)[/colour]

[THE PITCH]

Well, holy cow we actually made it here after all.

For those of you who have yet to play Sonic Colours (and if you haven't - why not? Shame on you. Go buy it now! I mean, honestly, coming into my thread with your dirty hooves and your no-Colours-playing faces. How could you?!) kiiiiind of a spoiler on the horizon here! Essentially the narrative of the game goes as such:

Dr. Eggman, doing as only Eggman can (because that's what he am-- I mean is. Uh.. moving on!), has built a gigantic interstellar amusement park (credit where it's due - it IS a pretty swag place), and in doing so has also taken hostage an entire alien race known as Wisps, and is harvesting them for their unique energy known as Hyper Go-On energy. Why? To create a gigantic mind control ray. Classy! Now, there's some adventurin' along the way, some robot fights and as usual, Sonic saves the day. Standard! What this culminates in towards the end of the series is that the ray goes bust, then starts to go boom, and the whole park is goin' to get torn to pieces. This culminates in an ironically sort of MLP'ish final showdown wherein Sonic faces off against Eggman in a 'Nega Wisp'-powered mech, saving Wisps one by one and.. well, see for yourselves (to save time, and get to the 'point' as it were, skip to around the 9:10 mark, if you would be so kind);

So if you watched pretty much that you'll have noticed the sparkly, colourful finisher move, followed by the alien-energy black hole swallowing up the massive interstellar amusement park. Well, that'd be our so-called 'junction point' or 'in', as one would have it. Since black holes are such great friends with our old pal the space-time continuum, they often get together and create such awesome instances like temporal paradox, quantum leaps and loops, and amongst other things: dimensional travel. Eh? Ehh? See where we're goin' with this now?

Now, since Sonic was 'lucky' enough to get swallowed up by that thing, one can establish that there's every likelihood of him getting hurtled into some other world full of ponies and the likes. Incidentally, because it's a black hole, if he ever gets back, he'll just end up right around the point in time where he gets rescued. Timeline secured! [/Fanfare]

Now someone might be asking how the chao thing factors into this, aaaand it's the only liberty I'm takin'. It's an amusement park. Chao are cute. They probably sell chao eggs, or there's at least a chao garden on that big ol' thing somewhere! I mean, if Eggman can build an entire section of his battlecruiser to have a chao garden, then I don't see why not this one too.

So that was the pitch.

And that's about all there is to it.

..Why are you here? Go home! Or.. post, or somethin'!

Oh, alright, I guess I can leave this thread open for commentary, OOC discussion and planning..

..twist my arm why don't you..

Actually, I would list that as a big fat 'YES', since just the same as it's possible for people to play bunnies and pets and all kinds of other species, and Chao are plenty capable of showing personality and thought and such.

Glad you're interested. I'm makin' headway through the starter post so it can all get underway. :)

Ahh, well, as the thread outline sorta implied (or at least I'd hoped it would imply it), I more or less figured people would bring characters that they'd app'd for and such - since it'll follow relatively the same rules and guidelines as the mane RP.

Ahh, well, as the thread outline sorta implied (or at least I'd hoped it would imply it), I more or less figured people would bring characters that they'd app'd for and such - since it'll follow relatively the same rules and guidelines as the mane RP.

Oh, I see. I must have been blind and didn't catch that. :P Disregard that statement, then.

[colour=#ff0000]!!UPDATE!![/colour] (Sorry for the double-post): The RP is currently going to go into suspended stasis in preparation for a reboot. This is due to the fact that it's dead in the water. The solution I've decided on here is to begin a series of application/auditions for FiM Cast characters intended for this particular RP - so anyone interested in portraying a FiM Character, here's your shot. The rules and such for this audition are in the top post, under the 3 segment. It's a pretty straight-forward process, so good luck!

Due to where my character is, and his profession, I think I could swing it to at least make an appearance. I love sonic, and heck, I think my character would love to study I mean... examine an other worldly blue hedgehog with the ability to survive an impact like that. He is a doctor and medical researcher after all...

But yeah, I know I've already mentioned this in chat, but I plan to have him pass through Ponyville as part of R&R/prep for a Canterlot based Medical Conference, where he was asked to speak about his findings in using unicorn magic to accelerate healing of patients in tissue damage/post surgury. All he wants to do is visit Ponyville before his first major, nonlocal, medical conference where he'll be silently judged by the larger medical community... You know... the ponies that could either make or break his career... So that he can relax and collect his thoughts and how he is going to present.

I should also make mention: While this RP is currently open for applicants seeking to play FiM Cast characters, in no way does this discourage the presence of OC's - feel free to bring in your own pony, by all means, as Starswirl and Hinata have. The more the merrier.

do we need to use approved characters for this? as well as strictly adhering to WoE rules?

I have an alicorn character that's a WIP,he's in bits and pieces here and there but still usable (gaps in history notwithstanding) he and Sonic should be able to get along swimmingly (wait till you hear of his special talent).

I can use one of my OCs though; do you prefer a younger character who can act like Sonic's sidekick party member or an older "guide" character?

I'd prefer approved characters, in all honesty - the general intent would basically be to treat this the same way as you would the official RP, in regards to canon and 'wackiness'. Otherwise things'll just end up going off the rails insane. And generally speaking you can bring any of your OCs that you wanna. They needn't act as a sidekick/party member/guide any more than you want 'em to.

I should probably stress the fact that despite the fact that this Crossover is seeking people to fill the positions of Cast characters, that is not in fact the reason why it is on hold. The reason this Crossover is on hold is due to there being currently very little interest or intent to post, save for a select few individuals, and even those have yet to show any activity. The Crossover is thus on hold until any actual intent to participate is displayed.

Good news, everyone! We're actually back in business! Now, while we're still open for people opting for Cast characters, again, that isn't integral to this roleplay. Feel free to bring in whomsoever ya please, provided they were approved of for the main RP, or are pretty much designed to function for the main RP, but didn't make the cut for some minute reason (canon-smiting characters are a no-go!).

So without any further ado, I henceforth re-declare the Crossover, once again, [colour=#00ff00][ACTIVE][/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

Arr.. back on a slow pacing slope. Just a general reminder, folks: Cast positions are open. If it ain't tagged as being taken in the front page post, then it's up for audition. It should also be noted that once the 'introductory thread' ends, I'm leaving the floor open for other World of Emeralds players to start their own threads within the established setting - so not every single thread relating to the Crossover need be focused on Sonic. So this is really the best shot any of you'll have to play a Cast character within the same level of canon as the main RP, and not being restricted to just the one narrative or thread. Just something to consider.

Arr.. back on a slow pacing slope. Just a general reminder, folks: Cast positions are open. If it ain't tagged as being taken in the front page post, then it's up for audition. It should also be noted that once the 'introductory thread' ends, I'm leaving the floor open for other World of Emeralds players to start their own threads within the established setting - so not every single thread relating to the Crossover need be focused on Sonic. So this is really the best shot any of you'll have to play a Cast character within the same level of canon as the main RP, and not being restricted to just the one narrative or thread. Just something to consider.

you need to market harder!