How did you find ponies?

Tam

22 year old Female Fan....I go by Lilia here, Dee IRL and a variety of pennames for my writings.

I got into MLP:FiM through Memebase...I started by just lurking and viewing the pony stuff, then I got curious and watched the first episode...

And here I am today...

No converts yet, but I'm working on it.

26 year old female here, is a Storekeeper in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Well, I've liked MLP since I as a wee one. I remember watching the cartoon (recently re-watched some and >_< jeez..lol) and I collected the figures. I still have them floating around somewhere. Storage, more as like. :-(

As for FiM, I discovered it on Deviant Art with the sudden surge of pony related art. I was like "what sorcery is this?!". Then I wen to YouTube and proceeded to stay up until the asscrack of dawn watching ponies. Now here I am, rather obsessed with it. :D

I was first introduced to ponies when my Skype friends started posting videos of FiM sound clips/lines. Listening to them endlessly, I was like "oh man these are pretty cool!" so I decided to start watching an episode. My very first was "Party of One", and it was certainly a shaky start, but I kept watching episodes and eventually I fell in love with the series! This all occurred over the course of about two weeks, I think.

As a frequent lurker of /co/, I was first exposed to ponies during the initial FiM boom. I was completely indifferent to the show at first, but when I started to see all of the fan-created content being made I became genuinely interested. In particular, some of the music that has been made by fans of the show has been mind-blowing. ~<3

One of my friends is a cartoonist, so you'd say I'd take his opinion about cartoons in general quite seriously. The opposite is true though. Last year he tried to get me into Panty & Stocking which was the moment when I stopped taking him seriously. At some point in january/february he approached me with ponies and I... well... I still frequented his streams and met up with him but as soon as he started talking about ponies I was like "okay, stop it :l". Apparently my ignorance amused him, as from that moment on I was known as his 'faithful student'.

So, when I was co-hosting one of his streams and he went out to do groceries or eat a pizza or something (I don't remember) I was telling his watchers I was going to check out what the fuss was about, and see how stupid that show is so I could laugh at them. I watched the pilot and was still "meh, ponies..." but I had to admit that I was impressed. So in the next few weeks I started watching a few more episodes at random intervals when I was bored and around episode 9 I was like "You know what? Screw it, this show is nice". And then I registered an account on Ponygoons, frequented the brandnew Ponychan (at the time) and subscribed to Equestria Daily's blog.

This summer I had a euro-brony meetup in Hamburg from August 12th til August 15th. It was a great experience, and I'm grateful to be part of this amazing community. But seriously... Artrix, don't ever introduce me to random crap like this again! :scream:

• Like 1

Well in terms of the franchise as a whole I've known about it for a while, my earliest memory being of it watching the "Escape from Katrina" special when it reran on T.V. (the first line or two of Megan's song with the baby Ponies and one of the Ponies knocking over an archway made of blocks) I'm not sure when this happened but I'm fairly sure it was before I turned 5

Then when I was a bit older (about 6 or 7) they released the second generation of Pony toys and I started collecting and playing with those, around that time I had a baby sitter, Lindsay (who I'm still in touch with by the way) who would let me play with her and her sister's old Pony toys when I came over to her house. I also found the movie at a video rental place when I was 8 or 9 (and I managed to convice my long distance friend Wesley to watch it with me when he visited). After moving to my current house I eventually found another video retal place that had the movie and later the original T.V. series avalible (though it took several months for me to finally be able to rent it) and I've seen a few episodes of "Pony Tales" after finding it on youtube

As for "Friendship is Magic" I heard it mentioned a few times before I watched it, I believe the first one was when one of my friends mentioned that she had been watching it earlier that day (though the way she phrased it made me think she had been watching one of the older series, I think she explained it afterwards), I also saw one of the custom Pony makers (the one with limited options, not the better nown one) at some point after finding out that this was a new series and seeing a few pictures of some of the Ponies with other characters (the two works that I remember best are a fan-character named "Dusk and Dawn" and picture of Fluttershy with another one of my favourite characters) though I never thought to really look the series up even after seeing that there was a panel about it at one of the conventions I go to.

Still, this series does have something special attached to it; it soothed my heart break

(This probably sounds a bit melodramatic, but it did)

On Tuesday June 14th my friend that I've started tutoring in Japanese told me that shed have to cancel her session with me that day because of a crices of some sort which turned out to be a good thing since I wouldn't have been in any state to work with her by the time we usually met up at. I ended up going onlne to another forum that I frequent and one of my online friends (not the one mentioned earlier) mentioned that she now had a boyfriend, when she gave a few hints about him it started to sound a bit familiar....and it turned out to who I thought it was. Which was a problem because I had been in love with the same boy for several months before, we had even been a couple for a day during valentines day that year, I'm not sure why I didn't tell any one, I didn't tell him because his last girlfriend had treated him so badly I didn't think that he would try to find another one for a while longer, if I had at least told my other friends I'm sure she never would have accepted him asking her....I didn't even know they had been talking out side of the topics that usually serve as the common room we all chat in

As you can guess, I was devistated. But at somepoint I thought that I should at least let her know how I felt so she'd know that she had to be careful and she could tell him to be careful as well in whichever way she felt would be best. I hoped that I'd even be given a chance to tell her everything and that her reaction would be "Oh shoot, I had no idea it was like that, I can't do anything about it now but I promise I'll break up with him later so you can tell him how you feel" after all, I had been harbouring secret feelings for months, feelings that were only kept hidden because I didn't think he was ready, that definately counts for more than a "It Clicked" moment, she's five years older than him (he and I are about the same age, he's about 6 months older than me), possibly taller than him, neither of them have a job so neither of them can afford to go visit each other (she lives in America he lives in Wales, I live in Canada but I have an Uncle I could stay with and I was going to start training for a job that I plan to pay for my university and anything else that was important to me with). Not to mention she had said countless times before that he didn't care about finding a boyfriend or anything like that......It didn't work out the way I'd hoped, she wasn't upset with me but I didn't have my opening or my "Don't worry, I'll make this right for you" (probably because when I'm upset my typing dosen't really show my feelings very well, if this had happened in the physical world even if I had managed to hold myself together long enough to leave my reaction wouldn't have left very much to the imagination) and she wasn't as careful as I hoped (meaning don't ever mention or allude to it in my presence or anywhere you know I'll be until you break up)

The next day I went into the city because my Mother and I were going to see a play and I enjoyed that but out side of then I was still upset. And the next day, while I could still talk to everyone I was also still depressed and needed something to use as an emotional crutch, I ended up remembering the picture of Fluttershy and the other character and eventually managed to find her name and searched for her on youtube (I still wasn't sure what to expect, but I was so depressed that even if the show had been similar to generation 3 it wouldn't have mattered) so I ended up watching a few clips including the "Best of Fluttershy" and "Fluttershy's Rant" videos (and imidiately noticed that she wasn't nearly as volitile as I thought she would be given the character she had been shown with) and eventually watched an episode after seeing a comment about it, and of course it was episode 26, then episode 9. And I went through the entire first season like this, watching episodes depending on how many it took to cheer me up and which ones interested me more and talking to my friend who had first mentioned it to me (for the first couple of nights we manged to clear the topic of everyone else but eventually all of the regular posters ended up loving it....yes even the two responsible for me starting to watch the show)

Wow....I didn't expect to still react like this three and a half months later thank you to everypony who made it to the end of this

Oh, this is quite an easy question. I maintain two philosophies in life. "Don't knock it 'til you try it", and "enjoy the little things". Though it'd be the first one that caused the bronification, I'd like to think that both in retrospect had some factor.

For those wondering how far the former extends, don't. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an 18 year old guy, and I love all Equestria ponies! :20:

When I was living in Saudi Arabia, the most thing that occupied my time was the internet. Not many of my friends there were as savvy as I was, or still am, with the vast world of the internet.

Come senior mid-year of Highschool. I was staying up late in my room, and typically scrolling through Memebase pages on the net to keep up with the trending jokes that go around, and I started to stumbled upon memes that I didn't quite get. Like "Oh no, I'm a brony now!" rage comics.

I then started to notice on my Facebook feed that one guy I know from the U.S kept posting MLP Youtube parodies and music videos all the time. I never used to watch them, 'cause I thought it wasn't worth my time.

He then posted this...

The lyrics of the song got me hooked! I never used to listen to English songs, that much, since they aren't too common where I live, but rarity's voice was kinda...pleasant. :)

ANYWAYZZ! So I found the first two episodes on Youtube and stayed up on a school night watching 'em!

The story, the animation, the music, the characters, the humor...I totally loved it!

Morning time came, and I drove to school, lacking sleep and always having ponies in my subconscious! Their voices were in my head! :-|

After watching the entire Season 1, I told my brothers about it.

They seemed weirded out at first, so I let them watch it...it's unfortunate that they didn't seem as interested as I thought they'd be.

All in all. I'm SO glad I started watching the show! It's given be a brighter outlook on life, friendship, family, and generally everything! I'm definitely a much happier person these days, and I really owe it all to Lauren Faust's awesome creation.

Basically, this video did it almost single-handedly. I visited a forum that is all about sci-fi and is populated by weekend /b/tards, so it surprised me to see ponies like, everywhere (and this was back in late February/Early March, mind you). This place (until they were discontinued, because it was crashing the servers) had like 300-page "MLP mega-thread"-'s and at near the beginning of the first, someone posted this video:

I had already decided to go check out the video right when Applebloom struck, but I watched the whole thing. Next was "Look Before You Sleep", and after another episode after that, I was hooked. >.<

• 1 month later...

What really got me in to this show, was that the amount of fun this show contains, as well as superb animation. (Me being a Flash Animator, I can connect with the animation better) and how diverse everypony's personality is. The possibilities in outcomes of paring ponies together is virtually endless. What would happen fi you paired Twilight Sparkle, the main "magician" in the show, with Applejack? The hard-working, truthful, and well-mannered pony. Then the same could be applied to Rarity and Fluttershy. It's because of the contrast and yet similarities between the characters is very deep. Not ot mention I recognize the voices of many characters from older shows. Lauren Faust worked on Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends. (And Powerpuff Girls) so I recognize the animation, movements, stories, and such between the shows. Even before knowing who made the new My little Pony. Not to mention the nice communities of "bronies" if you will. That, mixed with the vast amount of PMVs, all of which use good songs. (Most, anyways) and the HILARIOUS Youtube poops.

Hasbro hasn't pulled any dumb moves yet, so they're still cool. Not removing the episodes on Youtube and all. So who is actually broadcasting the show helps my view on it too.

The episodes never seem similar. (like with Dragon Ball Z, it's the same thing every season) and there are a perfect amount of episodes in season one.

I've already "converted" my two brothers, as they both like the show now. I've now actually got a show to look forward to on Saturday.

Then you've got the AWESOME memes that are generated from it. "Awesome!" and "Eh, it needs to be about 20% cooler" and "10. Seconds. Flat."

The music in the show is good (especially Rarity's new song) and never gets old. From Rainbow's rock and roll, to Rarity's classical.

I can't say that I was converted in to a brony, as much as sort of making my descent at my own pace. I didn't rush in, but I watched it with an open mind.

The fanfictions are really good, and I like reading them, so that is also good. Episodes like "Party of One" and "Sonic Rainboom" really offer a bit of a mood and tempo change in the show, exactly when it is needed. The show may be in a fictional Universe, but a lot of it isn't too much of the extreme. Like, there is no powering up to kill some evil guy, or shooting blasts to kill people, or anything like that. The show really uses a lot of modern day things, and such, but still holds that "nostalgia" feeling in my heart. I could honestly see this show on the cartoon block with Fosters home, and I would watch it no problem. And then you've got the Cutie Mark Crusade, which have been an on-going story throughout the show. (Which started in Episode 12? Correct me if I am wrong) so it helps you keep on track with it, knowing that nothing like "suddenly 7 years have passed" happened.

It sort of, keeps your timeline in order, so to speak.

There aren't a lot of flashbacks or anything, so the show never gets to a confusing point. Even if you started watching in season 2, you would still learn each pony's personality and still feel connected to them. What I can see Hasbro doing, is having Pinkie Pie, at the end of each episode, during credits. Read fanmail that people mail in, much like some other shows do. This would be a great addition to the show, and I surely see it possible. I picked pinkie Pie, since she seems most suitable. Although it could be any, or everypony from the cast. The humor in this show is good, and it is funny for all ages. The idea of a "cutie mark" itself is cool, but the way that the new show did it is even better. I can't say anything about the old show, because I haven't watched it. I'm still waiting to find out what the CMC's cutie marks will be. A promised THIRD season is also very good to know, because we've still got 17 episodes to go for the second season. Fluttershy's sad, and angry, and cute moments get the best of me, no matter which one it is, too.

I saw ponies invade the net, I had a few forum-friends who mentioned them and told me Id like the series, but I never paid them any attention and wrote it off as a "30 minute commerical"

Then, I stumbled on their entry on TV Tropes and my interest was raised, but it took a little more proding from my closest friends.

Finally I watched it, the first 5-7 minutes I was just sitting there saying 'its just a kids show, but it's a decent one, not as preachy as I was afraid of' and then I almost gaged and turned it off when AJ said "we Sho' do like makin' new friends" I thought the preaching had began, but Twilight's horrified reaction and the puns that followed kept be watching, less enthusiastic...

...Then I met Rainbow Dash...

At that point I couldnt turn it off, and when 'Winter Wrap Up' came around I considered myself a full Brony! (And to this day, even with the events of May the Best Pet Win and Mare Do Well, Rainbow Dash has always been my favorite Pony with Twilight being #2.)

Youtube Poops of ponies believe it or not lol. Particularly the twenty-minute epic "The Grand Galloping Collab."

After that, I watched actual episodes and liked the show more and more with each episode. "Party Of One" sealed my love for the show in stone, it remains my favorite episode so far. The only episode I didn't like at all was 'Mare Do Well.' Usually I don't mind Rainbow Dash's cocky antics, but she just annoyed the hell out of me in that episode. Other than that, other episodes are either decent or great, respectively.

The only episode I didn't like at all was 'Mare Do Well.' Usually I don't mind Rainbow Dash's cocky antics, but she just annoyed the hell out of me in that episode. Other than that, other episodes are either decent or great, respectively.

The fandom has essentially sent that episode into Exiled From Canon, because dash was VERY off-character there, and the anachronism was out of control. Not to mention the whole plot was simply rediclous, even for MLP where a large chunk of logic gets thrown out the window each episode. (Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the series but I have to admit it has some major logic flaws)

Like other answers given thus far, I ignored the internet chatter (and a "Wait Wait don't tell me" episode) until I became unable to do so any longer. I was hooked when I cried during the second episode.

The fandom has essentially sent [mare do well] into Exiled From Canon, because dash was VERY off-character there, and the anachronism was out of control. Not to mention the whole plot was simply rediclous, even for MLP where a large chunk of logic gets thrown out the window each episode.

That...

...bothers me quite a bit even though I disliked that episode. As annoying as it was to see my favorite pony act like a jerk then be made a fool in front of the whole town, it seems disrespectful to snub it.

That...

...bothers me quite a bit even though I disliked that episode. As annoying as it was to see my favorite pony act like a jerk then be made a fool in front of the whole town, it seems disrespectful to snub it.

I've developed a new theory for why the episode was made:

People have long since chided Dash for being too arrogant, but when you have a character who's already ~17ish it's hard to change their basic characterization. I believe this was part of a 2-part arc, starting with May the Best Pet Win, to inflate Dash's ego enough that they could grind her into the ground so hard it made a permanent change to her character. If you notice since then she's been noticably more humble (though certainly she still has some arrogance, it's just not nearly as strong and she doesnt brag as much)

Memes and pony avatars everywhere got me interested in the artwork and then from there I decided to do some research on the show. Turns out everpony said it was good so I gave it a shot and was hooked from the start. I loved the artwork, the characters, and (once I got to episode 3) the stories each episode had to bring.

I believe this was part of a 2-part arc, starting with May the Best Pet Win, to inflate Dash's ego enough that they could grind her into the ground so hard it made a permanent change to her character. If you notice since then she's been noticably more humble (though certainly she still has some arrogance, it's just not nearly as strong and she doesnt brag as much)

I don't get it. Do they want the show to have continuity or not? What is the point of the first episode if there is no change? It boggles my mind that you would need two episodes to make a permanent change.

Let me see I am a 29 year old Male from New Jersey( Don't laugh please) Anyway, I fell in love with this show just about the same way I fell in love with Cadpig from 101 Dalmatians: The Series more or less. Anyway I kept writing it off no matter how much my friend insisted that I should watch it just once. Till one day about 2 months ago. It was one of my friend's birthday's on another forum and as luck would have it someone posted a link to "Pinie Pie's telegram" song. I watched that video about five times and that was that. I became an immediate Brony. My favorite character is Rainbow Dash