[Library] Public Access [Full]

Puck

It was early that morning, earlier than Violet would have ever woken up before. But she remembered she had to make a very important trip to town this day and knew she had a long walk ahead of her to the library. She had remembered back the night before her mother telling her to remember to return the textbooks she had loaned out back. Violet quickly bagged the two books she had to return, one being a book on Mathematics For Foals, which had been her least favorite subject when it came to her tutoring, and the other a book on Wild-Plants And Flowers she studied over to make her encounters with Poison Joke and other dangerous plants less often on her trips into the wilderness.

As she had made it to the library she oddly noticed hardly anypony was outside... She hadn't any clue what time it was nor did she check before leaving but was sure it was early, the sun had still been rising on her walk to town so she knew she was at least early. She entered the wooden doorway of the library silently to return her books and decided she would look around in case she spotted a book that caught her fancy... Upon entering the library and looking around she noticed it was a bit... Vacant. She rubbed her chin curiously... "Where is everypony...?" She looked around curiously, peeking behind each of the massive bookshelves and underneath the tables fillies and colts usually occupied with reading material. She was now a bit worried... She began to look around more suspicious of where everypony in the library went, "No lights either... Just how early did I wake up...?" she asked herself before bumping her head from underneath a table, she sat at the bench-like seat and pondered while flipping through a picture book...

ShadowMist wasn't all that fond of waking up early for work. But, some days, it just had to be done. Walking out into the sunlight, she grumbled about how bright it ways outside in the morning. She blinked a few times, trying to adjust her eyes and figure out in which direction the Library lay. Of course she knew, but mornings made her oh so muddled.

The streets were beginning to fill with ponies, Foals on their way to school and older ponies setting up for market in the town square. So many ponies, it made ShadowMist nervous that she would run into someone she was acquainted with. Speaking wasn't her strong suit, and conversations tended to be awkward.

She sighed with relief as she reached the Ponyville Library, which double as Twilight Sparkle's house. ShadowMist wasn't sure if Twilight or Spike would be there this morning. Spike would be awake, surely, but if Twilight had had another long night of studying, she might still be asleep. But that was the thing about ShadowMist. She was exceptionally quiet.

ShadowMist lightly pushed open the door and looked around. No sign of Spike, or Twilight. That wasn't entirely unusual, often times both of them went out, sometimes being gone all day. The door clicked shut, and by the light of the sun shining through the window, she saw just how dusty the Library was. She also noticed that there weren't a bunch of books lying around today, so giving the library a through cleaning seemed to be the task ahead.

It was then that ShadowMist noticed the purple filly. That was entirely odd...there weren't many ponies that visited the Library and stayed to read. They usually just took what they needed and left. She'd been so still that ShadowMist had nearly missed her.

"H-hello? Can Iâ€â€Âhelp you with something?" ShadowMist said, in an attempt to sound friendly, as she approached the filly.

Violet noticed somepony else had finally shown up and addressed her. She nervously closed the picture book! She was far too old to be seen reading such a simple book but wasn't the best at reading, not to mention she happened to enjoy simpler books with colorful pictures. Akwardly grinning in a bit of embarassment, she waved at the dark colored filly, "Umm... I came here to return some books but no one was here so I, um was waiting here til somepony showed up..."

She felt a bit relieved it wasn't another pony her age, less she feel more embarrassed reading a book for much younger-than-herself ponies... She sat up from her seat and adjusted the strap on her bag... "You don't happen to work here would you?" she asked the stuttering older filly.

The other filly seemed a bit nervous at her presence. That was no good. ShadowMist was already awkward enough when conversing with others, without having the other pony she was speaking to being nervous. She was a big pony now, and she had to at least act her age.

"I'm the caretaker of the Library, actually. I have been for a few years, even before Twilight Sparkle moved in. Although there are a bit more books to put away nowadays. I come in a few days a week, or if Twilight happens to call on me, which is rare. Is there...something you needed?" she prodded again. She had been waiting for somepony, after all. She must've needed help reaching something on a high shelfâ€â€Âoh but wait, she was a Unicorn. Well, perhaps she was too young. Or perhaps help finding a certain bookâ€â€Âthe arrangement of the Ponyville Library could be rather confusing, especially if Twilight or Spike happened to place a book in the wrong spot. It was a rather common occurrence for ponies to need help finding reading materials.

Violet reached into her bag and pulled out the two books she had been meaning to return, "I had some books I was supposed to return. I was looking around for somepony to ask where I return them to but, nothing til you showed up." She sat the books on the table in front of her, "My mom usually drops them off but I felt like getting out of the house and doing it myself this time." she shrugged, "Dunno why she never lets me come here, I mean she never treats me my age. They always leave me home when they do anything like this. I'm not THAT irresponsible!" She said with a slight chuckle to her voice. She was enjoying a nice casual conversation with somepony that wasn't her parents or somepony she scared who most likely had a less-than-kind opinion towards her. Although she wondered why the older pony was so nervous around her, maybe she's shy around strangers...?

"I'll put those away shortly." she tried to sound casual and like she knew what she was doing. Of course she was excellent at her job, just not very excellent at sounding authoritative.

"Are you sure you're supposed to be out of the house?" It seemed the Unicorn had left home of her own accord, and after what she'd said it seemed she'd sneaked out without permission. That could get ShadowMist in trouble, even though she hadn't been aware that the filly shouldn't be out and about.

She had no idea who her mother might be. She wasn't at the Library every single day, and even when she was, there were few visitors. Those who did come, ShadowMist would try to help out if they needed it, and if not, continue on with her work and try to avoid conversation. She didn't really pay attention to who the ponies were in Ponyville, unless she saw them rather often or needed to know for some reason.

Violet smiled at the question of being asked that, she knew she really wasn't but loved the opportunity to get out when she could. Besides she's in town, she'd be fine, nothing bad would happen unless she caused it. But Violet felt delightfully nice today, not in a mood to cause any mischief or discord with her pranks and scaring or any other obnoxious things she usually did most of the time. No, this time she actually just felt like any other filly on a trip to the library to drop off some books and maybe if nopony she knew was watching, rent out that delightful picture book with the adorable talking animals she had been reading at the table.

"No they wouldn't mind. I left a note this time, they wouldn't mind me going somewhere like the library or somewhere in town as long as I'm not going out to get into trouble. Now if I had gone somewhere else say, Froggy Bottom Bog or some other foresty area nearby, then they'd be a bit upset." she giggled to herself, "Besides, I'm sure they'll be more than happy I'm actually doing something related to my studying." since Violet had a tendency to not like studying much unless it was a topic she was fond of, but she occasionally had those rare moments where she buckled down and did her work.

She then felt the urge to continue the conversation with the librarian pony a bit further, "So... What kind of books do you read...? I mean you work around so many of them you must get bored and read a few when you get bored, right?"

ShadowMist wasn't so sure that this filly was telling the truth. She said her parents wouldn't mind, but she'd also said she wasn't allowed to go out...somehow, she didn't feel this pony quite understood that she was being disobedient...or that she was being disobedient on purpose. Either way, this wasn't her child, and whether she was lying or not, it wasn't ShadowMist's responsibility to babysit. All she had to do was make sure that she didn't get into trouble while in the Library, but after she left, she was on her own.

"Well, I'll read just about any work of fiction." she said, thoughtfully placing a hoof under her chin. "But I prefer to read fantasy novels, as far as books go." ShadowMist paused. "What about you?" she asked, trying to be polite.

Violet had a slight feeling that Shadowmist could see the picture book on the table she had been flipping through or at least would if she checked it out... So she admittedly said, "Heh... Umm I kinda like these kind of books. I mean I read tougher books than this, but I just like these kind more." she said holding up the picture book with the bright happy little animals on the cover, "I also like scary stories, those ones are always fun to read, especially late at night when I'm all alone~! Makes it even more thrilling when something scary happens, heh~! It takes alot to scare me, so I love reading them. They're a challenge."

She had stopped and realized something... She didn't know the name of this filly she had been conversing with this whole time... "Hey, I don't think we've exchanged names. My name's Violet. What's yours?" Violet asked with a hoof extended to shake hooves, wearing her usual cheerful grin.

To each their own. ShadowMist mused as the filly held up the picture book. She'd seen it lying there, but she wasn't about to ask about it. If a pony wanted to read a certain type of book, regardless of whether it was their age level or not, they could have at it. But at least she was in to other types of books as well, ones that were more age appropriateâ€â€Âshe wasn't neglecting her educational needs.

ShadowMist chided herself for having forgotten to ask the fillies name. It was so rude of her! But, the other pony didn't seem to notice all that much...perhaps she was thinking the same thing.

"I'm ShadowMist." she replied, taking Violet's hoof in her own.

Violet shook with a smile on her face, she was happy to make a new acquaintance on such good terms. Especially one that didn't make fun of her for her choice of *Fine Reading Material* or lecture her so much on sneaking out like she had. "ShadowMist, huh? That's an awesome name~! Well my full name's Violet Mischief but I go by Violet for short, or Vi even shorter." after shaking she looked about the library noticing nopony else there but the two of them...

"So just how early did I get here? It looks like nopony else is here or at least awake..." she said remembering that there was supposedly some other unicorn and a dragon that lived here... She heard rumors that there was a dragon here at least... The place seemed kind of small for a dragon to live here, well at least for a big monstrous one she imagined to be here... Maybe if she stuck around she'd get to see the dragon she heard about~!

"Well, I'm not usually here this early. I just have plans later today, so I have to finish up earlier. Twilight Sparkleâ€â€Âshe lives in the libraryâ€â€Âcomes and goes as she pleases, along with her assistant Spike. Both of them are from Canterlot. Spike's a Dragon. He helps Twilight with a lot of her duties, and even helps with mine a little. I put away the books that Twilight leaves around, but when I'm not working that day Spike does it. Where they are now, I'm not sure. But that does remind me, I really should get to work so that I can finish up before this afternoon." she turned to head over to supply closest, and then, thinking, turned back. "Unless there's something you needed help with, you can stay and read while I work."

Spike

Spike yawned, rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he walked down the stairs into the main part of the Library. Twilight was still snoozing - she had been up late re-categorizing the list of birds that inhabited the trees around Ponyville for Fluttershy.

At the bottom of the stairs, he stretched, wincing as his back and tail cracked at the strain. He sighed, rubbing his back as he walked towards the front door to open it. It was suppoosed to be a nice windy day today, and fresh air was good for the books every once in a while. He picked up a few stray books Twilight had left on the floor in her searching, putting them on the small table beside the door as he stretched up to turn the doorknob. He pushed open the bottom half of the door first, him being short and all.

He swung it open, and a gust of fresh, sweet wind blew into the library, rustling the pages of the ancient books and finally waking Spike up as he took a deep breath in. He sighed happily, reaching up and pushing the top half of the door open with a grunt. Reaching back inside, he pulled out the sign-stand for the library, carefully carrying it outside despite it being half again his height. He plopped it down, opening it so it was propped open.

"Another wonderful morning in Ponyville! It doesn't get much better than this!" He said, clapping his hands together to dust them off, feeling important.

• 3 weeks later...

Violet looked over from the picture book she was reading and heard a voice... She was wondering who did it came from... It wasn't ShadowMist... Violet set the book down and creeped out of her seat... She looked over to where she heard the voice... It came from the small purple dragon by the window! Violet looked awestruck at the small purple scaly creature.

"Gasp...-! It's true... A real dragon...!" She squeaked quietly to herself under her breath excited greatly! Her first encounter with a dragon! "Eeep! It's sooo...! Cool!" she squealed a bit louder spying on Spike from a small distance away. She creeped a bit closer to him get a better look at the strange little fellow... She was so enthralled seeing a dragon for the first time and couldn't contain her curiosity, "Hi Mister Dragon!" she said a bit loudly for a pony whom was in Library, but she couldn't help herself being that excited.

ShadowMist heard Spike's quiet footfalls on the stairs. Alright, well at least Spike was here. The library wasn't all that large, and things were usually quiet, so it was easy to figure out where a sound was coming from if somepony only took the time to listen.

'Morning Spike!' she called out, just as Violet sprang from the table. Spike would probably love the attention. He always did enjoy when somepony was fawning over him, for whatever reason.

Now that Violet was preoccupied, though, ShadowMist took the chance to bow out and get to work. Heading over to a closet, she dug around inside until she found a feather duster. Then she set to work, starting from on of the furthest corners of the library and making her way to the bookshelves

Spike

"Ghaa!"Spike yelled, whirling around to stare at the pony that was happily dusting off shelves, along with another pony who was sitting in a corner, peering quietly at him over her book.

"Oh! Jeese! I didn't even notice you guys come in! Must have been up too late last night." He said, walking back inside. "You guys can read books and do stuff, just keep your voices down. Twi was up late last night so she needs to catch up on her sleep." He said, picking up a few more books and carrying them over to the main table in the middle of the library, reading the titles so he could put them in their proper spots.

• 3 weeks later...

Starlight Melody landed with practiced grace outside the library of Ponyville. The darkly colored young mare swept her indigo mane out from her eyes and took in the large tree. She raised a hoof, ready to walk inside and just double check this was indeed where she wanted to go. She came all the way from Cloudsdale because of a rumor she heard about some unicorn that now lived her and also because it was the best library around that she could easily reach.

The young mare smiled, inhaling the sweet fresh air as a breeze picked up and a few little lyrics popped into her head. She hummed a tune that would fit them before trotting into the library and looking around. It was slightly dim and dusty, but anypony should expect that of a place like this. She glanced around at the shelves of books and felt a little lost, turning her focus to look for some help.

"Excuse me. Uh... I'm not from the area, but I was wondering if I could take a look at a few books of poetry?" Her voice was smooth and sweet with just a hint of a melody to each word she spoke. Her wings fluttered as she turned to pull out a few papers from her bag and set them down. On the top was directions from Cloudsdale to Ponyville and the rest had half finished lyrics written on them.

"Just point the way and I can help myself. I'm only doing a little bit of research and gathering some inspiration..." Starlight smiled again, but it vanished as she finally realized just what she was looking at. Before her stood a young dragon and she could see there were a few others hanging out in the back of the library.

Violet smiled embarrassed realizing she should have controlled her voice a bit better despite her excitement, "Hehe... Sorry about that..." she whispered blushing as she stepped back towards the table the picture book she had been skimming over had been... Although she did not noticed the other pony whom had entered the library as she bumped flank-first into Starlight Melody.

"Eep... Oh I'm sorry... Didn't see ya there. I'm just gonna go... Over there. By that picture book. And Read... Not that picture book though, picture books are for foals, right...?" She said nervously at the unfamiliar face, "I... Should stop talking so much this is a library after all... heh..." she quickly turned around and trotted over to her previous seat, peeking if anyone was still looking at her and when she felt safe enough, slowly opened up the picture book and read from it.

[[OOC]]

jen_pony_header_250.png

Twilight Sparkle slowly opened her eyes, trying to adjust to the bright light filtering into her window as she woke up. Last night had been a long one, she was up late re-organizing a list of bird populations in ponyville for Fluttershy. Lucky for her all of the field work had already been done so all she had to do was paperwork and reading, those were two things Twi never minded. Looking around the room without getting up she noticed that spike had cleaned up the few piles of books she left around her room. A little smile spread across Twi's face, she'd have to remember to thank him when she saw him.

As Twilight sat up she shook her head and her mane fell into place, sort of. Her bangs were sticking up and the top of her mane just wasn't laying right, not unusual for her in the morning. It didn't really matter because it was usually just her and Spike in the library. Although apparently that wasn't the case today, her thoughts were interrupted by unfamiliar voices coming from the other room.

She heard Spike and ShadowMist, both familiar of course… but also at least one other pony who she didn't recognize. Twilight floated the stack of books off of her night table and let them hover next to her as she stood by her bedroom door. Although she usually didn't put away her own books there were other ponies in the library and they might be looking for these. This purple pony knew better than most just how frustrating it was to not find a book where it should be.

Twi tried her best to put on a cheery smile and not look like she just woke up, since she had no idea what time it was and assumed it was late. She pushed the bedroom door open with one of her front hooves and looked out into the library. She saw two ponies that she didn't recognize, and one of them seemed very interested in Spike. That wasn't too unusual, most ponies had never seen a baby dragon before. 'Hi everypony' Twi said cheerfully but quietly, since they were in a library of course. She looked over at spike and smiled warmly 'Thank you for cleaning these up for me last night, Spike' As she spoke she floated the books over to an empty table.

Spike

"Twilight!" Spike jumped a bit at the sound of her voice, immediately running over to her.

"Hey! Good morning! How do you feel? If you're too tired you can go back to bed, I can handle things around here. A-and no problem! I know you were up late so I thought a bit of tidying up would help you out when you woke up." He said, proudly lifting himself up to his full height... of not very tall. He turned around, hearing yet another new voice in the library... yet another pony who stared unabashed at him, mouth slightly open in astonishment.

"Yeesh. You'd think these ponies would know what a dragon looks like when they see one." He said to Twi out of the corner of his mouth, turning around to look back at the two ponies staring at him, looking them straight in the eye. He may be small, but he isn't a coward. Well, most of the time.

((CH'YEAH Twilight lives icon_arrow.gif))

Starlight was brought out of her stupor as without warning somepony bumped right into her. She let out a sound of shock, wings splaying as she caught her balance and trotted forward a bit. The culprit was immediately apologetic and chased away any thought of getting upset.

"Its quite alright... I'm sorry for not being more aware myself..." The dark colored pony smiled, tipping her head slightly to the embarrassed pony. "I don't think picture books are just for foals... anypony should be able to enjoy childish things every now and again."

With that slight interruption over with Starlight refocused back on Spike, noting another pony had joined the room. She blinked, glancing at the cutie mark and instantly knew this had to be the well spoken Twilight Sparkle. Starlight only really knew of her because she spent all her free time learning about the princess and Canterlot and knew this unicorn was Celestia's own pupil.

"Uh... Hi." Nervousness had suddenly flooded her for this pony could help her get one step closer to her dream. Mentally she shook herself, not wanting to be an annoyance and whining for a request to see Celestia. "My name's Starlight Melody... Can you point me to the poetry section?"

Spike amused her as he commented on her reaction to her without thought it seemed. She lowered her head to his level and looked apologetic. "Sorry for staring... Its not often I see a young and handsome dragon..."

• 2 weeks later...

jen_pony_header_250.png

The Filly tried her hardest to act awake and put together as Spike worried about her, she struggled to keep from yawning but it was pointless. Twilight covered her mouth with a hoof as she yawned and gave Spike another little sincere smile. "I'm fine Spike! she lied, she didn't even notice that she walked right out of her bedroom without really fixing her mane. "I don't have to go back to sleep, I'm sure there's lots that needs to get done in here" A quick look around the library and she realized just how true that statement was, there were books out of order all over the place.

Twilight looked over at at Starlight Melody and introduced herself, the little filly seemed a bit nervous, maybe from being knocked into. "Hi Starlight! I'm Twilight Sparkle, it's a pleasure to meet you... are you new in town?" she paused "Oh the poetry, is right over here." She said as she trotted over. Her horn glowed pink as she pulled a book out slightly. "From here on, on this shelf all the way down to the end." she looked over to the end of the row, it wrapped around a curve in the tree trunk wall.

It was hard for Twi to stifle a little giggle as Spike noticed the filly staring at him. Usually he liked the attention, maybe the purple dragon was just overworked today, more reason to stay up and help him get things around the library. "You have to remember, Spike, not a lot of ponies have seen a dragon around here." After that Starlight spoke up for herself, a handsome dragon, she couldn't imagine Spike still being irritated after that one.

• 2 weeks later...

ShadowMist turned at the new voice that penetrated her ears. The feather duster floated in midair above her, her work having been interrupted. But Twilight Sparkle was quick to answer the filly's question about the books she was looking for. Twilight's hair looked a bit ruffled today, but even with the extra ponies in the library, she didn't seem to mind it.

ShadowMist returned to her task, moving her dusting away from the bookshelves where the other ponies had gathered. They could wait to be cleaned; ShadowMist didn't want to get in anyponies way. She ran the duster along one of the higher surfaces in the library. It must've been one she'd missed for a long time, because a rather large amount of dust and grime fell down, causing ShadowMist to sputter and cough. She backed up to move away from the cloud of dust, her eyes closed to protect them.

She reared on her hind legs for a moment as she took in a breath, in preparation for the rather large sneeze the followed. ShadowMist stumbled backward into one of the bookshelves, jostling it and causing at least half the books to fall on top of and around her.

Spike

At the 'young and handsome' line, Spike's demeanor changed. He puffed out his chest, pretending to polish a set of his claws off on his scales as he raised one eyebrow in his signature grin. "Well. Apology accepted! I sometimes have to keep reminding myself just how breathtaking I can actually be!" He boasted, pretending to slick back his headspikes with his other claw, striking a pose.

His boasting was cut short by a rather large sneeze to his one side, followed by a large crash and a cascade of books onto one of the poor unicorns, completely covering her. Spike rushed over, already pulling books off of the pile as he tried to dig the unicorn out.

"Oh my gosh! Are you alright?! Hang in there!" He said worriedly, finding the unicorn's tail... and deciding it was a good idea to try and drag the pony out by it. He grabbed the tail and pulled hard, heaving with all his tiny might to try and help her out of the pile

Twilight's question made her chuckle as she lightly shook her head. "Oh no, not really. I'm just visiting the area to look for some inspiration in your library." She smiled for Ponyville was a nice little town, but Cloudsdale was always going to be where home is and that would never change. Though she might make more plans to come here more often in the future because it was such a nice place to visit.

"Ah. Thank you very much... just what I need over here." Starlight smiled as she selected a few books from the proper section and took them over to a comfortable area to settle down and flip through the pages. She wasn't expecting too much inspiration from just reading, but it would help spark new ideas.

Starlight chuckled as Spike took the compliment very well and boasted just slightly about his looks. Their interaction was cut short however as there was a large crashing noise of books. "Oh my..." The books lay forgotten as she moved to help Spike get the unfortunate pony out from under the pile of books. Moving some aside carefully so the pages wouldn't be ruined.