[Peryton] Cypress (Final!)

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria RP

Name: Cypress

Sex: Female

Species: Peryton

Eye colour: Light green [colour=#74C365](Mantis: #74C365)[/colour]

Coat/Mane/Markings & colours: Main body is a pastel gray[colour=#000000] [/colour][colour=#CFCFC4](#CFCFC4)[/colour][colour=#000000].[/colour] She has a slightly darker, ash gray underbelly/neck with a matching, short tuft of hair - well, even shorter than most peryton locks, at least [colour=#B2BEB5](#B2BEB5)[/colour][colour=#000000].[/colour]

Physique: Towering compared to the norm, though most ponies would still be a little less than an inch taller than her. Contains a well-built, rather buff torso paired with toned and stocky legs. Wings aside, her frame to an extent resembles that of a [colour=#1155CC]migratory woodland caribou[/colour][colour=#000000] [/colour]and thus, as females of said species have them, bears a set of prominent slate gray antlers [colour=#708090](#708090)[/colour][colour=#000000].[/colour] To her irritation, said antlers and her solid appearance in the past have caused peryton and other creatures alike to mistake and make fun of her for looking like a stag, and still do from time to time.

Cutie Mark: N/A

Origin/Residence: Born in Whitetale Woods, though these days she has the tendency to travel anywhere - well, as long as it's remote and there aren't too many creature-built structures; Solstice Heights, the greenery and lush thickets of Nimbusgait Lakes, she has even gone as far as the Everfree Forest. Though a nomad she is, she's never ventured into any populous place larger than the village of Garden Gait, as towns and cities alike tend to make her apprehensive at best.

In her own words:

[colour=#708090]
"I live off the land, I guess...um, does being a nature guide count? I mean, I'm not
paid
or anything, or whatever ya call it. Never got why ponies labor over these 'bits' they keep talkin' about. They're shiny, sure, but what the heck am I s'possed to do with 'em, string a bunch together and decorate a pine tree? They're just a bunch of useless trinkets, to be honest."
[/colour]

In reality:

Though she may feel inclined to help a deserving lost traveler, she really doesn't have a paying job by Equestrian standards, and is a little bit...erm,
dense
when it comes to the constructs of civilization. Still, she's particularly skilled in weaving - baskets and nests that is, though ever since she came across a ball of yarn, needles, and some flimsy white sheet covered in strange black symbols in the Everfree (likely dropped by a lost, unlucky pony), she's been (very) slowly figuring out how to use them, having heard that one could make scarves out of such utensils (a rather useless accessory to her, but they sure do look neat!).

Motivation: 'Tis not of utmost priority, but a small part of her wants to know the meaning behind those markings on that sheet! Though unbeknownst to Cypress, they're instructions on how to knit ...what? Would you be particularly literate whilst living in the woods all your life? She also wants to gain the courage to at least visit one town, without having a panic attack due to the hustle and bustle of a populous place...otherwise, she just wants to live a balanced life, use in moderation what the land offers, nothing too extravagant.

Likes: Leafy greens, the smell of the wood and open fields after a rainstorm, the tree she’s named after, testing her survival skills whilst popping up in the Everfree, pine needle tea (build a small fire, gather pond water with a makeshift kettle to boil, get pine needles to put in the kettle to let it settle...), finding pony-made trinkets while exploring, and borrowing yarn when she sees some laying about a nearby, vacant building - which is technically stealing, but the concept of owning so many things and living in a large, claustrophobic box with a tent-like roof has always been strange to her, so...

Dislikes: The idea of roaming about big cities and towns, as much as a part of he wants to get over it. Being around a significant amount of sentient beings, particularly if they aren't other peryton, will generally make her uncomfortable and rather fidgety, and loud noises are anything but reassuring. Also, rudely mistaking her for a buck - if it's an honest, unassuming blunder, then she'll usually be forgiving, but if you're going to be a stubborn prick in the nose about it, then let's just say you'll be the last living thing she'll pay notice to when you wind up in a pickle.

Character Summary:

Like that of many peryton, Cypress spent her early years in Whitetail Woods - or at least, deeper within it than most ponies would dare to roam. Because of this, she was previously (though unintentionally) sheltered from the world beyond the rocks, soil and greenery surrounding her, though what knowledge she's gained of ponies since her fawnhood has been limited to the occasional, accidental stumblings upon quiet villages and houses about the countryside. In fact, before she branched away from the wood, the only reason she had known about ponies in the first place was due to taking involvement in Winter Wrap-Up. As of how? For starters, it can first be said that it’s part of the reason she realized a particular talent of hers, one that still remains up to this day.

Her father, Redwood, was especially agile, helping him stay unseen whilst darting through the forest, using the shadows to hide his slight frame...to say the least, other than inheriting his keen green eyes, she didn't quite get her looks from dad. As for her mother, Sequoia, she had always been quite the gatherer, and before Cypress was born, the two of them held a special tradition of theirs; With both of their strengths combined, they'd make nests the night before the event and, while nopony was looking, they would set them by the edge of the forest, where ponies would easily see them the next day and nestle them high within the trees for birds returning from the south. Not wanting to deny their daughter of giving ponies a helping hoof, their daring little fawn also took part it, her mum having taught her the basics of weaving. Even now, Cypress still takes part in her parents' tradition still, even though it's executed a ways away from their den.

Gaining a knack for it, she was often found testing her skills outside of said pony-related event. Once she got accustomed to her own brand of peryton magic, she even managed to surpass her mother's efficiency in her weaves; Unlike Sequoia, Cypress's talent revolved around manipulating thin, sturdy branches and fine/string-like materials such as rope and tall grasses, being able to tie, wrap, and - you guessed it - weave them accordingly. It wasn't the type of full-blown telekinesis that unicorns have, however. In fact, levitating anything heavier that such materials, as she figured, is still a rather strenuous task as best, and it turned out she had to have her materials together in one spot (rather than having them scattered) in order to even use more than one at a time. On occasion, she may use this talent as a means to rustle and sway a few branches while staying out of site from ponies, either to attract their attention towards the right path, or - if in the Everfree - to give them a voiceless reminder that there's a reason why some places are better left unexplored.

As for the rest of her early years and then some, Cypress wasn't the most sociable fawn in the wood. She'd have rather stuck around her parents than bother with others her age and, when they weren't trying to set her up on playdates, she often spent her time alone, either practicing her weaves or would just explore the forest. When she started growing antlers, it became safe to say that making friends was not only the least of her priorities, but it also became much, much harder to attain them in the first place. She didn't merely gain the petite, aesthetically pleasing little stumps that some doe would eventually get, but two strong, thick, hankering branches began to adorn her head. This often lead to merciless taunts, insults and name calling from peryton her age, even when her parents weren't making her socialize, and at best would often cause younglings and the full-grown alike to have....*ahem*....interesting reactions once she opened her mouth to speak, if only upon first encounter.

When it became time for her mum and dad to integrate Cypress into Whitetail - aka, prepare/ween her into living on her own - it didn't take much effort on their part. By the time she entered that stage between fawn and doehood, while she still cared for her parents dearly, past experiences with bullies from her own kind was enough to convince her that she really, really didn't care for them setting up yet another so-called 'playdate' on her behalf. Still though, while she was successful when it came to moving out of her family's den - she was the self-reliant type after all - the jeers and ridiculing from others just wouldn't stop. It wasn't long after she left her parents' dwelling when she decided that, well, maybe she should stray farther from her home in Whitetail. There was no use in staying someplace where she was unwanted - and at a time where she was starting to discover who she was, this seemed to be, unfortunately, the very case she was in.

It was still a hard decision to make, since she didn't know much about the outside wood, but when push came to shove, it was more than worth it. Over time, and particularly as of now, Cypress has grown a bit more world-savvy - well, emphasis on a bit, as most of what she's learned has had to do with the flora and nature-bound fauna within anyplace surrounded by the colours green and brown - and mind you, that isn't exactly referring to a paint job. She hasn't quite found a particular dwelling since she left, but she's grown fond of the traveler's lifestyle and, quite frankly, she doesn't plan to settle down anytime soon.

While she's spent quite the while 'roaming the land' as some would say, Cypress is still a bit lacking in the friend department. However, this isn't always due to being followed by past treatment: Though a shrinking violet she's not, Cypress isn't the approachable type at first glance, often basing her perception of someone, whether good or bad, on first impressions, and can be a bit stubborn when it comes to changing her mind. She also, when helping others, prefers not being seen or caught in the act, though what she makes up in bulk has made her not quite as agile as some peryton, yet not to a debilitating extent. All in all, she's a practical, down-to-earth doe whose knowledge of nature is especially competent, but may still have a ways to go in a few...er, other areas.

Cypress.png

I like her. There are a few errors in the field of grammar and spelling, but I assume you will catch them before long. The most obvious one is payed instead of paid. Excited to read her summary!

I like her. There are a few errors in the field of grammar and spelling, but I assume you will catch them before long. The most obvious one is payed instead of paid. Excited to read her summary!

Aye, thanks! I was about to look over for errors any the like like when I saw you post. I'm pretty sure I've fixed most of them as of yet - now to get the summary down, which will hopefully be done in a few days...

Chotchkie told me to deliver a message to Cypress.

"You stay away from my ponies in Garden Gait, y'hear, those ponies, and all their candy is MINE MINE MINE, you weird horny-head perywhatsits"

Her words, not mine.

I like her so far. :) I like that she's not a pretty-pretty deer and has some flaws, seems down to earth. Does she travel because she doesn't really have roots yet, or is she tired of the whitetail woods because the other perytons tease her?

Chotchkie told me to deliver a message to Cypress.

"You stay away from my ponies in Garden Gait, y'hear, those ponies, and all their candy is MINE MINE MINE, you weird horny-head perywhatsits"

Her words, not mine.

I like her so far. :) I like that she's not a pretty-pretty deer and has some flaws, seems down to earth. Does she travel because she doesn't really have roots yet, or is she tired of the whitetail woods because the other perytons tease her?

Cypress requested that I give Chotchkie a message is response...and that I write it down accordingly:

"Um, seriously? I only go there for the free yarn! And 'horny-head'? Ya think I haven't heard that 'un in the last 2 or so decades? Kid, y'might think I'm trembling in fear right now, but I'm not. So cut the cranberries right now."

Touche~

Thanks Scotchie! In regards to the question you present, it's mainly the latter, which I'll go into detail when I get her summary down. :smug: