Pony Parallels

Hippo

I watched the old My Little Pony Movie and saw this similarity:

spikepiano.jpg

spikepiano2.jpg

What other similarities between old and new ponies have you seen?

It's from the 1986 movie, and the Pony's name is Baby Lickety Split. Her performance ends up getting worse feedback than Pinkie Pie's. She even gets totally bashed before she breaks out in song about leaving home. It's all pretty tragic in it's own way... :(

It's from the 1986 movie, and the Pony's name is Baby Lickety Split. Her performance ends up getting worse feedback than Pinkie Pie's. She even gets totally bashed before she breaks out in song about leaving home. It's all pretty tragic in it's own way... :)

UGH. I hated baby Lickety Split.

hi hi

I had some vague memories of watching that as a very little kid, probably when it first came out on television. My parents were cool enough to let me watch it, but I guess I kinda understand now why they had reservations about the whole thing. When I saw Spike start playing the piano, that scene from the movie was the first thing that popped into my head.

hi hi

I'm not sure what they had reservations about, I just remember them saying something like "are you sure you don't want to watch something else?" My guess would be the voice acting, but I don't know if I feel like asking them to find out for sure. :)

Well, I guess it all depends what kind of little kid you were. If you were a little girl, I can't imagine having negative thoughts about the show unless a strong religious conviction was present. But if you were a charming young boy who watched My Little Pony when you came home from school, then I could see a more prevalent reason why parents would fret. However, I am sorry, for I do not know which of these you are.

• 7 months later...

Ooh! I've actually been researching a bit an planning to make a video series based on this

Well apart from the G1 character they are directly based off of I've noticed that some of the Mane 6 characters have more than one Pony that went into them in terms of character (Twilight, for example has a similar personality to Wind Whistler....I can't be the only one to see Twilight picking apart the ending of a sad romance story the way Wind Whistler did in one episode)

Posey's singing voice sounds fairly similar to Fluttershy's, I'm not sure if it's intentional but if you play "How does my garden grow" and then play "So many wonders" they do sound a bit similar

On that note the episode "Fugitive Flowers" has some similarities to the episode "Swarm of the Century" (they aren't painfully obvious ones but when you think about it they do have some very basic elelments in common)

Big Macintosh's "Eeyup" was originally used by Slugger, one of the "Big Brother Ponies" in the original series who was introduced in Sonambula episode arc

Similarly Rarity's famous "I vant to be alone" line was originally used by Heart-throb in the second episode of the Sonambula episode arc (though it's also worth noting they both have the same accent and a few other things in common)

Twist is based off of a G1 Pony, her colouring is similar and everything, though while g4 Twist is an Earth Pony Filly G1 Twist was a Unicorn Mare.

Before we had the Cutie Mark Crusaders we had Ember, the original Cutie Mark Crusader who appeared in the pilot episode

Angel had a counter part in G1 as well, Mr Moochick appeared on a few occasions giving advice and magical aid and had a Rabbit who basically was the one that found the thing Mr Moochick was looking for or that really had the answer

Before "Winter Wrap Up" we had the opening of the movie (Hm, the song is about the start of Spring)

And as we can see in "The end of Flutter Valley" G1 had an equivilent to the Summer Sun Festival

Several parallels can be drawn between the G4 Pilot and the G1 Pilot

Including that before the Rainbow of Harmony we had the Rainbow of Light

We all reconise the Flutter Pony wings in episode 16, but appearently Flutter Pony wings really are supposed to be made of Gossamer

The Filly that gets trapped in a well in episode 34 may be a nod to Morning Glory, the first Flutter Pony to be shown after she was rescued from being trapped in a well (Appearently real Flutter Pony wings aren't as flammable as fake ones, but they do get water logged fairly easily)

There's a G1 Filly that looks very similar to Dinky

Pinkie had a good reason to think Zecora was evil, the only other Zebra to be featured in the show before her was (actually he was a bit like a really oily used car sales man, in my opinion)

One of the background Ponies, an entirely green Pagasus bears a strong resemblence to Medley from the Pilot episode

Bon-Bon looks a bit like Ginger Bread from G1

Hmm, that's all th comes to mind right now, I'm sure I could find more

Oh! But a couple of subverted ones:

In G1 the Baby Ponies were always the Daughters of their Adult counterparts but (as far as I remember) we never saw any who were sisters apart from the 6 Princess Ponies, while in G4 they're essentially done the reverse

In G1 Pony hair grew back instantly after being cut (I wonder how many litle girl were upset by finding out the dolls didn't work the same way) while in G4 it dosen't