Science!

So I thought this might catch peoples attention. It is the latest form of possible evil, that the scientist behind it attempt to play off as being a possible good.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/01/120104-time-cloak-invisibility-harry-potter-light-optical-fiber-science/

So my thoughts after reading this went straight too "how is the military going to use this to cover things up?" At which point went to the very obvious next thought, which is the same as the first thought except replace military with government, and then to how this is going to be used to steal priceless treasures, and final too the ever so loved "How long will it be before comic book industry makes a super-hero/villain that uses this technology.

Anypony have any thoughts on the new discovery/invention?

From one of the reports I read, they took out the power for the entire building. Or something along those lines.

Haha, well then I was correct, this will consume a whole lot of power to operate, and only for 40 trillionths of a second! If they mature the device, I don't think they're going to want to carry around a nuclear reactor to power it...

this is pure evil... :-| like seriously erasing time and manipulating it like that goes beyond my perception of ethical science. I feel like we are getting dangerously close to breaking the universe with this one..... :unsure:

Ha, like we haven't already broken the universe with ponies? Ahem, no. This makes sense if you think about it, it's just changing light's speed to create a hole.

Also, we need Starswirlthebearded's wisdom in here. xD

From what i understand, I dont believe itqs erasing time, it's just a cloak of invisibility... things are still occuring within this veil, it's just impossible to observe these events, which i suppose you could say that if no one observed the event, than it is not a piece of history...

But, if, lets say, the military uses this tech on a city and goes in and kills everyone, than yeah, no one else could observe it, but it still happened... someone will evetually notice that the inhabitants of the city are missing, and the people who used the tech would know, so it's not that the erased it from history, they just prevented anyone else from observing it...

From what i understand, I dont believe itqs erasing time, it's just a cloak of invisibility... things are still occuring within this veil, it's just impossible to observe these events, which i suppose you could say that if no one observed the event, than it is not a piece of history...

But, if, lets say, the military uses this tech on a city and goes in and kills everyone, than yeah, no one else could observe it, but it still happened... someone will evetually notice that the inhabitants of the city are missing, and the people who used the tech would know, so it's not that the erased it from history, they just prevented anyone else from observing it...

This device could have practical use in eating cupcakes too. If nopony can see me eat them, it didn't happen and the calories don't count!

This device could have practical use in eating cupcakes too. If nopony can see me eat them, it didn't happen and the calories don't count!

Uh, no... i think even if no one could see you do it they'd still be missing afterwrds and they'd still be in your tummy... your plump cupcake filled tummy. :P

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I'm a misanthrope. Great - we've learned to make things invisible. But what goes straight to government's minds? Hiding military technology.

But seriously, that means every time they're using this, I'm existing in a whole new entity. Whoa.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Get proper readings for an 'Earthlike' planet.

2. Build spaceship/ark

3. Hide insides or indeed most of the ship from time.

4. Best possible slower-than-light space travel possible?

It may seem that way, but keep in mind that even though an object is in the "time hole", the object still existed there. All the device does so far is prevent an event from being observed. If the outside can't observe what happened inside, then the logical conclusion is that it didn't happen. But inside the time hole, the object (or objects) still existed there for the amount of time that the light was disrupted.

It may seem that way, but keep in mind that even though an object is in the "time hole", the object still existed there. All the device does so far is prevent an event from being observed. If the outside can't observe what happened inside, then the logical conclusion is that it didn't happen. But inside the time hole, the object (or objects) still existed there for the amount of time that the light was disrupted.

Darn my mis-interpretation. While useful a completely invisible [vehicle] interior is not nearly as good as a 'removed from time' interior....

• 4 weeks later...