W&D S01EP25 - "Party of One" [it's live!]

Tam

hi hi

Did anyone else notice the similarities between the "Pinkalicious Tea Party," from an earlier season? Teaparty by yourself with stuffed animals trope subverted?

A good friend of mine was having relationship problems once upon a time, where his significant other got to the point that she would always assume the worst. So during one argument over a misunderstanding he just said: "If there's more than one way you can take something I say, just assume that I mean the good one."

Perhaps the other ponies might have been more sensitive to the distress Pinkie Pie was in and clued her in to the surprise earlier when they realized she was getting angry. (it'd still have been a good surprise.) I get the feeling that this sort of thing isn't something that anypony deals with all to often, so the rest of the gang might not have seen it coming. Still I think part of the point is that nopony is perfect and sometimes you've got to give your friends the benefit of the doubt, or at least a break. (channeling a little bit of "two wrongs don't make a right?" or maybe "don't get angry, get even?")

The resolution may have been sudden, which I can see being disconcerting to some. Honestly, I think a lot of these episodes could easily be 30-45 minutes long, but I'm not going to fault them too much for time constraints. They probably could have used a little bit more time coming to a resolution in order to put the drama to rest, but I have a feeling the next episode will do a good job of that too. :o

I am really glad that when Pinkie Pie started getting sad with the whole "I thought everyone liked my parties," line, just as I was about to start tearing up, Rainbow Dash popped in from out of nowhere and broke the tension.

Sorry, but I missed your point; it seemed like you retracted your argument. If I'm reading you correctly, my response is that the only way to truly be able to handle something like that is if both parties directly say what they're thinking; how can the other ponies try to help Pinkie feel better if she didn't say anything directly until the end? We have to remember that as audience members, we're given a deeper perspective into the characters thoughts and actions, but we can't assume that any character knows as much as we do.

As for the ending, I thought it ended perfectly, but that's just me. :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi hi

Oh, don't mind my rambling, I was just being hypothetical in a point, counter-point fashion. Everypony made some mistakes here and there. It was kind of like a bunch of little things that all added up to something that seemed like a big thing, but wasn't. There were lots of "what if" moments where somepony could have stopped the flow, but it all worked out in the end. Thats all I was getting at... I think.

Edit: I think in Bridle Gossip we were given a bit of a preview of Pinkie Pie's suspicious nature. It was apparently obvious enough to me that when I was working on my MLP RPG, I made suspicion the opposite of laughter. I think it has something to do with how laughter is used to disarm and de-escalate situations, while suspicion escalates things.

I've been wracking my brain trying to think up something to write about this episode. I mean... wow. I actually had to watch it twice in a row to decide if I liked it or not. I NEVER do that. There were some brilliantly funny moments in there. I think I laughed hardest at Rainbow Dash saying hi to Pinkie disguised as hay-man. So random :D . And Pinkie's reaction to Spike and the mirror proved once and for all that there are some things that weird out even Pinkie Pie :o. I also liked Pinkie's singing telegram and pretty much the entire espionage scene. Then again the plot to this episode was pretty predictable (I know this shouldn't bother me, but still...) and I made the mistake of going onto ED before seeing the episode so I spoiled Pinkie's big crazy derp-out moment for myself. I certainly enjoyed the episode but I don't know if I'd call it "Celestia Tier". Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to watch it? At least it was better than the owl episode.

Reminds me of the time I invited a bunch of my friends to go bowling on my birthday. Everyone said they would come. Then, one by one on the day, they all cancelled or were uncontactable. In the end it would've been me and maybe one other friend. But I wasn't in the mood for it so I called the whole thing off. Were they planning a big surprise party for me?

No. No they were not.

I- I need a hug :cry:

This episode just gave me a new avatar! Sad Pinkamena ---->

I love the Pinkamena hair. I actually kinda prefer it to Pinkie's normal hair, to tell you the truth.

I thought she was very cute with the straight hair too..when yeah, she wasn't being insane. :D

hi hi

I know that feeling Diego, some of my friends and I had to deal with that kind of thing a lot once upon a time. It is frustrating when friends make a habit out of being inconsiderate, but I don't think it does anypony any good to hold a grudge in case they eventually try to change their mean old meanie pants ways... Not that it helps any right then when you're feeling down. :(

Losing a friends trust is definitely the easiest way to lose a friend forever, just try not to sweat the small stuff. Some of it is a matter of attitude I think. Although I didn't have any particular plans on my birthday yesterday, and my friends were all busy with work and such, I told myself when I woke up that I was going to have an awesome day no matter what. Even though I burned the cake I had planned to take in to work, I brought donuts instead. Even though it was cold and windy, I went on a fun bike ride anyway. In the end, I had an awesome day anyway. :)

It was your birthday yesterday? :o Well then Happy After-Birthday! :)

I was pretty bummed on the day, but I did get over it. For my last birthday (was the 6th of this month) I planned ahead and invited my friends for a meal weeks in advance and had them RSVP. It worked well and we all had a great time ^^. And hey, I also went on a fun bike ride. I went to the woods with my parents and we saw a weasel and some swans! :( I guess bike ride = fun birthday. Glad to hear you had a good day too.

As you say, it's about attitude. I've had crummy birthdays because I was in a bad mood and refused to enjoy myself, and awesome birthdays despite not doing anything special because I was in a good mood. I suppose the same can be said of any day really.

I basically have the same thoughts on the episode as everyone else. I was happy to see Gummy return, loved Crazy Pinkie, and was reminded of Cupcakes.

so... its safe to assume Spike is a masochist?

Good, so I'm not the only one who was thinking that! XD

@GingerMint: That is so cool that Pinkie's birthday episode was aired on your birthday!

Dis-I-Like

-Best groupings of facial expressions yet.

-Pinkie could possibly be Ponyville's Smeagol, given enough isolation

-All of the mane characters showed a new realistic side to their personality

-Favorite lines:

*Applejack: "PICK APPLES! Apples! Cuz that what we do with, uh, apples.... we pick 'em."

*Suspecting Pinkie Pie: "Okie dokey, Lokey."

*Spike: "There's Fluttershy, a pegasus that's afraid of heights. What's up with that?"

-Pinkie Pie should seriously consider racing in the running of the leaves. Rainbow Dash doesn't stand a chance.

-Out of all of the ponies, Rainbow Dash blew the location of the party. Thought she would have known better.

-Pinkie Pie is really good voice actress.

-Apparently, the construction technology in Equestria is limited to goats and sheep.

and the best DAWWW moment:

pinkiepiedaw1.png

I love this episode. I don't have too much to add to what everyone else is saying, but I love Pinkie Pie! It was hilarious when she started cracking up. I tell ya, I can't tell you how many times I've actually laughed out loud at this episode. :)

Hmm. Maybe Pinkie was calling AJ "Loki", the God of mischief?

This must be posted, now:

okiedokieloki.png

ROFL.. Pinkie Pinkie Pinkie... Your so crazy.

I have to love her sneaking. Heh a hay bale with Groucho Marx nose eyebrows and mustache.

Thats way overdoing it XD. Poor girl needs to worry less. She has good friends.

Metal Gear Pinkie is gonna be everywhere.... and i admit.. She's cute with her hair straight.

Its nice to see her having more character flaws. She seems carefree but has a touch of paranoia.

And finally... Dash... you cant outrun Pinkie... We've already established this... NO ONE CAN!!!

I think it was just her doing a 'Flanders' with words...being unnecessarily outwardly cutesy whilst suspecting her friends of betraying her...so more 'Okey-Dokey-Lokey!'

I wanna see someone sync up crazy Pinkie with that line from the episode when Flanders goes crazy. "And if you really piss me off... I'll run you down with my car."

hi hi

Okey Dokey Lokey is a phrase Pinkie has used before, like when she's hooked up to twilight's brain reading machine in Feeling Pinkie Keen. I think she's just being Pinkie Pie. :)

I found it funny that Pinkie Pie was blaming everypony for making excuses, but then she turned around and started making excuses for why they couldn't be her friends anymore. Classic, and so very true to real life sometimes.

Also, if Pinkie Pie ever discovers alcohol, her party-planning will be elevated to a whole new level.

In the last episode she made the "The punch has been spiked." comment, proving that she's even more of a party girl than originally thought. :)