W&D S01EP25 - "Party of One" [it's live!]

Tam

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps my favoriate aspect of the entire episode was the presence of Gummy in all his awesomeness. On top of that, some of the facial expressions – especially during Pinkie's crazy phase – are downright memorable and hilarious.

The only issue I had with this episode was the fact that it was a very gray issue. On the one hand, the ponies were planning a party for her birthday, but I can see why Pinkie felt ignored or isolated from the group.

-- Twilight doesn't even roll her eyes at Pinky's "you shouldn't hit the books" comment, they are all just so used to her by now. :D

-- Rarity obviously knows now of Spikes crush and seems to take advantage of it, but not too much as she honestly seems a little worried about how bad Spike has it (and possibly how taking too much advantage would make her a lousy friend and pony).

-- Rarity really took to sticking her head into the rotting garbage pretty well.. Well as well as Rarity could.

-- "Harry" - More evidence Equestria is post-human Earth! :o

-- Of course Pinky thinks Fluttershy and Dash's excuse makes the most sense.

-- Silly ponies, do you think you can out sneak or out run Pinky? Time and space are her playthings!

-- Pinky and Applejack had some of the greatest facial expressions I have seen yet in FiM.

-- Do you see four gems or five!!

-- Angry Pinky is scary

-- Flat haired Pinky is pretty cute, ya know, when she doesn't look insane. :shock: It is also interesting to hear her voice when she isn't being hyper-Pinky (which is every other time we see her).

-- BUTT TO THE FACE!

It was a fun episode, although as soon as Twilight appeared at the Cakes' looking for something she didn't want Pinky to know about, it was pretty easy to figure out this would be a surprise party for Pinky; it was also obvious she would interpret their avoidance to plan the party in the worst possible way. Despite the plot and the ending being very easy to figure out, I really liked this episode, mainly because Pinky does such a great job carrying the show with her crazy antics you can't help but enjoy watching her and laugh. The episode worked because of Pinky, no one else could have pulled off her reaction to the situation with nearly as much humor.

Also, Gummy!

MLP:FiM = My Little Psycho: Friendship is Manic

Honestly Pinkie just up and snapped. Even her hair deflated.

You know there's gonna be all sorts of crazy Pinkie art now... both funny and down right horrible.

hi hi

It just so happens that it is my birthday today, and I have to say this was totally fitting. :D I laughed out loud for real for probably half the episode, and that good humor helped smooth out the rough edges of the dramatic end.

I've also had situations that were kind of similar to this in my own time. One time my friends and I threw a surprise birthday party for a friend a month after his birthday, and boy was he surprised. However, we almost blew the whole thing because he didn't realize what was going on and almost decided to not show up.

I was worried that Pinkie Pie was going to be moping and crying, which would have made me sad, but at least until the point where she snapped it was hilarious. ((and even after she snapped, you kind of knew that the plot was rushing full tilt towards the denouement))

I know it was no fun for Pinkie Pie to feel hurt, nobody likes that, but I think it helped drive the point home. You shouldn't let one thing get you upset, friends ought to be able to let some stuff slide, or at very least give things time. Even if they hadn't been planning a surprise party, friends make mistakes sometimes and you ought to be able to give them a chance to make things right before you toss them out. ((Admittedly, sometimes they will refuse to make things right, but that wasn't the case here, that was the lesson in Griffon the Brush-off.))

Also: I really wanted to see how bobbing for apples was really done.

Also, also: That dramatic music that played while Pinkie Pie was following Twilight was great!

Also, also, also: Choreographed mini dance routine? Yes!

Great episode! Really predictable (especially since the game spoiled me the ending), but well-played out.

PROS:

-Excellent reaction shots

-Everypony used

-Gummy's presence over the entire episode

-New Pinkie stuff: She's capable of keeping up/outrunning Dash (Or bending reality so that she can), can actually get tired and her hair is apparently defined by her mood (Inflated = Happy/Insane, Flat = Grumpy/Insane).

-Pinkie snapping. This is a bit early, but I think that instance where her eyes go derp will easily go down as one of the most memorable moments of this season.

-Spike's interrogation was hilarious

CONS:

-Pacing was all over the place. Actually, there wasn't really a whole lot about this episode that "happened", so it gives off a vibe of being really cramped and short.

-The "Letter to Celestia moment" was REALLY forced in this episode. I personally would have taken that moment out.

-This episode is a reminder that this is the last one before the season finale. =(

EXTRA:

-This felt a lot like the prequel to a certain fanfic...I'm sure some of you know which one I'm talking about.

Overall, though, a great addition to the season. Definitely surpassed my expectations.

Now, the only question is...

Is flat hair!Pinkie the REAL Pinkie? Afterall, it was how she was before she saw the Sonic Rainboom in her story (However credible it may be).

-New Pinkie stuff: She's capable of keeping up/outrunning Dash (Or bending reality so that she can), can actually get tired and her hair is apparently defined by her mood (Inflated = Happy/Insane, Flat = Grumpy/Insane).

We actually saw a similar chase scene with Pinkie and Dash in Griffon the Brush-Off.

We actually saw a similar chase scene with Pinkie and Dash in Griffon the Brush-Off.

She was only teleporting around back then. In this episode, we actually see her keep up on hooves.

I honestly could not stop laughing. Crazy Pinkie Pie partying by herself made my sides hurt so much I cried a bit :D . I can't wait to see what fan art this episode spawns.

Also, this made me my day...

mario_party_by_csimadmax-d3f7f27.png

I think I might have to pop my super Mario All-Stars into my Wii and play some Super Mario Bros. 2

Guest ZiraStarfollower

This episode just gave me a new avatar! Sad Pinkamena ---->

I love the Pinkamena hair. I actually kinda prefer it to Pinkie's normal hair, to tell you the truth.

And I concur with everyone, Pinkie went wayyyyyy off the deep end. And it was hilarious. :D

hi hi

Did anyone else notice the similarities between the "Pinkalicious Tea Party," from an earlier season? Teaparty by yourself with stuffed animals trope subverted?

A good friend of mine was having relationship problems once upon a time, where his significant other got to the point that she would always assume the worst. So during one argument over a misunderstanding he just said: "If there's more than one way you can take something I say, just assume that I mean the good one."

Perhaps the other ponies might have been more sensitive to the distress Pinkie Pie was in and clued her in to the surprise earlier when they realized she was getting angry. (it'd still have been a good surprise.) I get the feeling that this sort of thing isn't something that anypony deals with all to often, so the rest of the gang might not have seen it coming. Still I think part of the point is that nopony is perfect and sometimes you've got to give your friends the benefit of the doubt, or at least a break. (channeling a little bit of "two wrongs don't make a right?" or maybe "don't get angry, get even?")

The resolution may have been sudden, which I can see being disconcerting to some. Honestly, I think a lot of these episodes could easily be 30-45 minutes long, but I'm not going to fault them too much for time constraints. They probably could have used a little bit more time coming to a resolution in order to put the drama to rest, but I have a feeling the next episode will do a good job of that too. :D

I am really glad that when Pinkie Pie started getting sad with the whole "I thought everyone liked my parties," line, just as I was about to start tearing up, Rainbow Dash popped in from out of nowhere and broke the tension.