First FanFic idea-A Derpy Hooves one(Advice)

PurpleBird

Hey everyone(pony)!

(Sorry if this is in the wrong Thread @_@)

I am an aspiring writer/young author myself and I have never been geared towards fan-based writing before... not until I had a whim of inspiration for a Derpy Hooves one! I don't know if Derpy FanFics are super common or not, but, heck! I still want to try it out. Derpy being one of my most favorite ponies.

I had this silly/sad Derpy short story floating around in my head and I am unsure how to go about with it. Should I think it through? Wing it? etc. I know I made a blog post about this but I figured I'd get more attention this way. I'm not even sure if people would be interested in reading it if I were to post it...

So...

Any advice is helpful!

Thank you.

-PB

How long do you want it to be?

that's generally what i ask myself.

if i want it to be just 2 or 3 pages long i just write.

it may seem sloppy and organized, but then i can go through and decide

what do i like and want to keep, what do i dislike.

any longer than that ill try to plan it out, by writing notes.

example:

Chapter one:

i do this of major points i want in the order they should happen, and then fill in the rest.

i hope that was the kind of help you were looking for

Write down first a basic version, even if you're not sure about continue working on it, that basic version would help you not forget it.

Get a proof reader / editor. that would improve quality.

Mhm! I do like the editor/proof reader idea, I was going to offer up to anyone that wants to proof read it and see the mistakes before posting it up and such?

But I find it hard finding the right editor that won't take something of yours and turn it into theirs Maybe I'm just running into the wrong people.

How long do you want it to be?

that's generally what i ask myself.

if i want it to be just 2 or 3 pages long i just write.

it may seem sloppy and organized, but then i can go through and decide

what do i like and want to keep, what do i dislike.

any longer than that ill try to plan it out, by writing notes.

example:

Chapter one:

i do this of major points i want in the order they should happen, and then fill in the rest.

i hope that was the kind of help you were looking for

Ah! I knew a little bit about organizing but, doing them with highlighted points in chapters is actually a good idea!

Thank you!

Though, I am keeping this one a short story, with a few chapters, since it is my first time with a FanFic.

But thank you very much, nonetheless~

I always write an outline before the story itself. I say the chapter, and I list all of my ideas for each chapter before I begin. As I write, I check them off as I go AND I continually add more ideas. These can be plot-points, dialogue, things that happen in the background, narrative tips or just plain emotions. I also keep a long list of words I like to use.

My recomendation would be to write out a map of what you want to happen. For example, start out like this...

1. Where the story opens up

2. The conflict

3. The climax

4. The resolution.

Then try to decide what needs to be said for the climax to make sense. If the climax occurs in the bakery between derpy and pinkie about their friendship, first you have to establish that they are friends in some way, and you have to get derpy to the bakery as well.

Then of course figure out how to link the conflict to the climax, and finally resolve the problem and tell a bit about the resolution.

I'm on my phone so i'm not going into detail, but i hoped that helped.

I always write an outline before the story itself. I say the chapter, and I list all of my ideas for each chapter before I begin. As I write, I check them off as I go AND I continually add more ideas. These can be plot-points, dialogue, things that happen in the background, narrative tips or just plain emotions. I also keep a long list of words I like to use.

Mhm, pretty much what I do! But I never really thought of dialogue though, which actually doesn't sound like a bad idea!

My recomendation would be to write out a map of what you want to happen. For example, start out like this...

1. Where the story opens up

2. The conflict

3. The climax

4. The resolution.

Then try to decide what needs to be said for the climax to make sense. If the climax occurs in the bakery between derpy and pinkie about their friendship, first you have to establish that they are friends in some way, and you have to get derpy to the bakery as well.

Then of course figure out how to link the conflict to the climax, and finally resolve the problem and tell a bit about the resolution.

I'm on my phone so i'm not going into detail, but i hoped that helped.

I know how to structure it and such, but. I guess it wouldn't hurt to make it more indepth so than I'm not stuck!

Thank you

I write a lot as well, and, though I'm not as well-versed in fanfiction, I usually just write quickly, get all the basic ideas and structure down. Then I go sentence by sentence and rewrite, sometimes everything, adding detail and fixing mistakes. It lengthens it up as well, and usually works great for me. :) I'd love to read this when it's done~

Mhm, pretty much what I do! But I never really thought of dialogue though, which actually doesn't sound like a bad idea!

I know how to structure it and such, but. I guess it wouldn't hurt to make it more indepth so than I'm not stuck!

Thank you

Well yeah, structuring it isn't that hard, but sometimes people get stuck with that sort of thing... you have certain events you want to happen, but sometimes you get stuck trying to think of how to link them together. You want to make sure you don't just skip over a whole bunch, but you don't want to put in a lot of in depth info in a section that is merely meant to link two important events together.

Well yeah, structuring it isn't that hard, but sometimes people get stuck with that sort of thing... you have certain events you want to happen, but sometimes you get stuck trying to think of how to link them together. You want to make sure you don't just skip over a whole bunch, but you don't want to put in a lot of in depth info in a section that is merely meant to link two important events together.

I get ya! This is very helpful, for sure, I for surely don't want to be putting stuff in unnecessary clogs. That would be just a mess... knowing what is right and isn't is sometimes hard though.

I write a lot as well, and, though I'm not as well-versed in fanfiction, I usually just write quickly, get all the basic ideas and structure down. Then I go sentence by sentence and rewrite, sometimes everything, adding detail and fixing mistakes. It lengthens it up as well, and usually works great for me. :) I'd love to read this when it's done~

I haven't really tried that, but, I will consider it!

And of course, when it's up on FIMFiction I'll gladly post it here.

I haven't really tried that, but, I will consider it!

And of course, when it's up on FIMFiction I'll gladly post it here.

Awesome~ It doesn't work for everyone, but I've found it really helpful. (:

I look forward to it~!

I get ya! This is very helpful, for sure, I for surely don't want to be putting stuff in unnecessary clogs. That would be just a mess... knowing what is right and isn't is sometimes hard though.

I know what you mean... I've been writing a while and sometimes i find that what i'm writing sometimes just doesn't fit in with the story... like it's unnecessary... Or that i started with something that WAS relevant, but strayed off with something that wasnt...

A friend of mine has been working on a story for a while, it got denied by EQD twice and got some rough reviews on other sites... Basically it was about Spike trying to find out about his parents, but apparently a chunk of it was Twilight talking with HER parents... sure, the parents are there to spark Spikes interest in his family origins, but talking about how Twilight been and her adventures for so long just makes the story drag... So yeah.

Also,if you're interested i'd love to share some of my stories =3 I got one of Derpy too if you're interested

I know what you mean... I've been writing a while and sometimes i find that what i'm writing sometimes just doesn't fit in with the story... like it's unnecessary... Or that i started with something that WAS relevant, but strayed off with something that wasnt...

A friend of mine has been working on a story for a while, it got denied by EQD twice and got some rough reviews on other sites... Basically it was about Spike trying to find out about his parents, but apparently a chunk of it was Twilight talking with HER parents... sure, the parents are there to spark Spikes interest in his family origins, but talking about how Twilight been and her adventures for so long just makes the story drag... So yeah.

Also,if you're interested i'd love to share some of my stories =3 I got one of Derpy too if you're interested

Yeah! I get really scared of making mistakes like that in my own work...

Oh! I wouldn't mind! The preview is up of the FanFic btw! Posted it in this forum, titled 'Perfect Pony' :]

Yeah! I get really scared of making mistakes like that in my own work...

Oh! I wouldn't mind! The preview is up of the FanFic btw! Posted it in this forum, titled 'Perfect Pony' :]

It's okay, don't be scared... just find someone you trust and who likes to read to glance over it and give you tips on what to do ^_^ Then post it for all to see.. just remember, there WILL be a LOT of negative comments... they're just negative people, don't worry about them... If they can't come up with a constructive way to criticize your work, than they're probably not the best people to listen to anyway...

As for my story... http://www.fimfiction.net/story/13325/Derpy%27s-Star-Role That's the derpy one, check out my others too ^-^

And i'll take a look for yours in a moment.

It's okay, don't be scared... just find someone you trust and who likes to read to glance over it and give you tips on what to do ^_^ Then post it for all to see.. just remember, there WILL be a LOT of negative comments... they're just negative people, don't worry about them... If they can't come up with a constructive way to criticize your work, than they're probably not the best people to listen to anyway...

As for my story... http://www.fimfictio...rpy's-Star-Role That's the derpy one, check out my others too ^-^

And i'll take a look for yours in a moment.

Oh I know there will always bee negativity as I know there will be always an expansion to grow. As an artist I know that very well.

And I will defiantly give the story a read!