Countries!

MisterChippy

At last! A thread where Americans can definitively prove that they're 100% ignorant of everything that happens around them.

Talk about the country you live in, countries you've visited, and countries that you know absolutely nothing about! Correct other people when they say silly things about the place you live! Have fun!

Countries I've visited: Canada, Mexico, India

Countries I'd like to visit (historical reasons): Egypt, Greece, Turkey, Israel.

Countries I'd like to visit (people I know): Japan, Brazil.

And now, to get on topic:

Rubber ducky races were invented in Canada

• Like 1

Country I live in: USA

Countries I've visited: France, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, United Kingdom

Countries I'd like to visit (tourist reasons): Germany, Russia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Egypt

I can't be bothered to refute or create misconceptions at this time. :P

I live in Canada.

I have visited 'murica, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Il Vaticano.

I want to visit Spain, France, Belgium, Germany, Poland (I know I will be there soon), Australia, Japan, Russia, Egypt, Israel, and others. Africa and Central Asia (Mongolia, China, etc.) don't interest me.

I have no motives for misconceptions but this:

whats%20your%20opinion%20on%20food%20scarity%20in%20other%20countries.jpg

• Like 3

And I want to visit pretty much every country... I want to tour the world! :D

I met a guy in Colorado who has visited most of them, and he has some wonderful stories, including things like flying in planes patched up with duct tape, etc. He said that on his way home, he flew on the same plane, and they had painted the duct tape to match the rest of the wing.

The question is, which ones are you going to pass on?

I live in the USA. I've only really been in the Philippines. I've been there more times than I can count.

I want to go to Korea, Japan, Spain, Greece, Russia, Germany, and the UK. I mean, I've been to Korea and Japan for stopovers when going the the Philippines, but that doesn't count. =3=

I've been to Korea and Japan for stopovers when going the the Philippines, but that doesn't count. =3=

Yeah, I had to similarly exclude the Netherlands. There was some wonderful chocolate in the airport though.

Places I could have gone, but decided not to for whatever reason: Japan, Ukraine, Russia, Israel. I have varying levels of regret for those, but three of the four were wise decisions with the information available.

Where am I from? Glorious Canada.

Where have I visited? The US, Mexico, and Italy

Where do I want to visit? It's easier to name off the places I don't want to go, and that's most of Africa (except some places. My uncle went to Kilimanjaro, and I would love to visit that) and bits of Southeast Asia (I don't like the heat and humidity a whole lot for one thing, and there's not a whole lot I want to see out there). Other than that, I'll go anywhere.

Where do I want to visit? It's easier to name off the places I don't want to go, and that's most of Africa (except some places. My uncle went to Kilimanjaro, and I would love to visit that).

Africa is such a huge and diverse place, that there must be scores of amazing places to visit. If you don't want to go there, perhaps that would change if you learned more about those countries?

Yeah, I had to similarly exclude the Netherlands. There was some wonderful chocolate in the airport though.

All foreign airport chocolate/snacks are amazing to me. I found myself going crazy when shopping at the airport a long time ago. I think I needed to borrow an extra suitcase from family members to carry everything I got from the Philippines and the airport combined. :lol: I think I gave my wallet a heart attack.

All foreign airport chocolate/snacks are amazing to me. I found myself going crazy when shopping at the airport a long time ago. I think I needed to borrow an extra suitcase from family members to carry everything I got from the Philippines and the airport combined. :lol: I think I gave my wallet a heart attack.

I went to a village in Alaska with about $360, and on the last day of the trip, I had not paid for the highest ticket item on my list. I was down to exactly $200 and still had not gotten a quote from the furrier, so I was a bit worried. The price came to exactly $200, so I left without a dollar on me. It was perfect, since there were not banks or ATMs out there.

Country I live in: Germany

Country I study in: the Netherlands

Countries I've been to: the Netherlands, Belgium, the UK, Italy, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Austria, Czech Republic

Countries I'd like to visit (aside from everywhere, since I'm an artist, and there is no such thing as bad inspiration): the USA (because I have friends there), Canada (because it looks like an awesome place to be from looking into it from the outside), Peru (because I've been told great stories about it), Japan (because it's the cradle of both anime and video games, and, as such, fascinating, even if the culture is absolutely foreign to me) and any of the countries of the Scandinavian peninsula (because I love cold weather, and it's kinda close by, but I've never been there).

I went to a village in Alaska with about $360, and on the last day of the trip, I had not paid for the highest ticket item on my list. I was down to exactly $200 and still had not gotten a quote from the furrier, so I was a bit worried. The price came to exactly $200, so I left without a dollar on me. It was perfect, since there were not banks or ATMs out there.

That's pretty great! :-o Everything in the Philippines is way more cheaper than here in the USA, so I often don't spend as much money as I estimate I'll do. Though my cousin from Norway said the same when she came to the USA. She told me that things that we usually buy for five dollars are around more than ten dollars in kroner, so she went on a shopping spree and made it back home with lots of money to spare.

From the USA. Open my front door and all you see is corn. Open the back and it's beans to the horizon.... *sigh* :sniff:

Never been to another country, but want to go somewhere that actually has a deep history/culture.

As far as refuting, even in the US there is a lack of understanding at how huge and diverse the USA is compared to most other countries. I've traveled a little bit and even being in country I've been to whole other worlds here.

Africa is such a huge and diverse place, that there must be scores of amazing places to visit. If you don't want to go there, perhaps that would change if you learned more about those countries?

I'll definitely admit that half the reason I don't want to go is lack of things that I know about there. If I look at a country like Italy, I can name off five places I would want to go see in a heartbeat. For the continent of Africa though? Not so much. I'd like to visit Egypt for sure...I guess touring around the north coast would be interesting too, now that I think about it.

Though my cousin from Norway said the same when she came to the USA. She told me that things that we usually buy for five dollars are around more than ten dollars in kroner, so she went on a shopping spree and made it back home with lots of money to spare.

Reminds me of my trip to India. I brought about $50 for swag, and bought EVERYTHING that I wanted. I came back with $20. I guess you have to go to touristy areas to be able to get rid of money.

I'll definitely admit that half the reason I don't want to go is lack of things that I know about there...For the continent of Africa though? Not so much. I'd like to visit Egypt for sure...I guess touring around the north coast would be interesting too, now that I think about it.

I've got some friends who came back raving about a guided camel tour of the desert. There are baobab trees in Madagascar, Victoria falls would be amazing to see, and surely countless amazing cultural experiences.

Country I live in: Scotland XD

Countries I've been to: General British holiday destinations. Various Spanish islands and France (The alps)

Countries I'd like to visit: Everywhere! I really want to travel the world, but I'd hate to move away from Scotland

Where I live: The good old US of A. The east coast, around the Appalachian mountains.

Where I've been:

Scotland: I have a lot of Scottish ancestry, enough to actually be eligible to be a member of one of the highland clans, so this was a cool experience for me. I totally loved the two months I spent there and really want to go back there some day. Also, vegetarian haggis. WHY?

England: Didn't spend more than 2 days here and it just felt so darn British. Can't give a better explanation than that.

France: I ate at McDonald's in Paris. I am shamed. The Louvre was nice though.

Canada: Spent about a month here and enjoyed it. Everyone was so nice and it was really similar to home.

Places I want to go: Japan. I'm an Otaku, what else can I say?

Before I forget... if anyone cares to read a comic about how a Scandinavian views the rest of the world, look no further than http://satwcomic.com/.

I read every single comic last night. I told all my friend about it, and asked around for Sweden and Åland ponies for my shipping pleasure. Yes, I'm disgusting. XD

Where I currently live : France. I was born in the US, though, and have lived there in the past.

Countries I have visited : Algeria, Botswana, Germany.

Countries I'd like to visit : Well, everything, really ... If I had to name a few specific things, though, I'd like to know the US better, there are so many places I have never seen there. I'd like to go to Ethiopia (Lalibela!), to Mexico (and I'll bring lots of cooking recipe books), to Malta (I really, really want to see La Valette, so many pictures to take, and ideas to draw, and this is likely to happen), to Greece (for the same reason as Malta, really, I want to tour the islands and take pictures).

I also want to go to places like Libreville, Gabon - I don't think there's a lot to actually visit, but they actually speak french there, and use that language in a variety of exotic ways. Or Paraguay - again, I don't know what there is to see there, but they speak Guarani there, an indigenous language, and it fascinates me, both on a linguistic and political point of view. I am strange like that - there's a lot of places around the world that have unique and interesting characteristics like that, and I want to see how they work.