Fantastical Creatures and Myths

TheInvisiblePony

So, it goes without saying My Little Pony has mythical creatures in it. Duh. But every now and then, when the show brought in new creatures like Minotaurs and Hydras I was pleasantly surprised because these things come from some of my favorite myths.

I happen to love myths like these with a bit of a passion, but sadly my knowledge is a bit lacking. So, perhaps you folks could help me out a bit. Does anypony have a particularly favorite beast of legend, or a story from days long since past? If you do, feel free to share it!

Nordic mythology is fascinating in my humble opinion. It's unique and quite interesting. Funniest thing is that people usually are able to name maybe 4 gods coming from north, let's say Loki, Thor, Odin, Saga. But what about 47 other gods? More than that, it's full of giants, werewolves, animals playing guardians roles, elementals and generally is no worse than any other mythologies. Though, for obvious reasons, a bit less known than the others.

I could write a lot about it, but why should I? You're interested? Ask uncle Google, he knows much more than me.

Cryptozoology and mythological creatures are awesome.

Speaking of them, Ahuizotl, the antagonist from the Daring Do novel Dash reads, and the Windigoes from Heart Warming's Eve are both actual creatures. The first is an Aztec mythological creature, while the other is an Algonquin creature of myth. The More You Know, and all that xD

Well, my favorite creature is a unicorn (not surprising since four of my characters are unicorns).

i also like pegesai, phoenix, kitsune (multi-tailed fox spirits from Japan), and dragons.

As far as mythological creatures go, I have a particular affinity for krakens. I'm not quite sure why; maybe it's because it feels the most "real", being based on the giant squid and all.

Well, my favorite creature is a unicorn (not surprising since four of my characters are unicorns).

i also like pegesai, phoenix, kitsune (multi-tailed fox spirits from Japan), and dragons.

I have to agree with the kitsunes, the idea of fox spirits is kind of hard not to like...

As far as mythological creatures go, I have a particular affinity for krakens. I'm not quite sure why; maybe it's because it feels the most "real", being based on the giant squid and all.

Interesting favorite. I don't think I've ever met anyone with that kind of taste, but I can certainly see where you're coming from. I don't suppose you'd be fond of sea serpents? Along the same lines, I'd think.

Oh oh oh! I love the elder beings of the Lovecraft Mythos! I think my favorite is Yog-Sothoth the All in One (also known as the Gate and the Key). Yog-Sothoth is the gatekeeper to time and space, yet exists outside of both. His name is evoked when you are attempting to reverse the actions of progression such as death. The most commonly known creature from Lovecraft is Cthulhu, though really he's just a shaman of Dagon despite his godly stature.

I also like Nidhogg, he's a continent sized dragon that's trapped under the world tree Yggdrasil. But that's Norse mythos

Ah yes, the famed eldritch horrors. I should really read some of Mr. Lovecrafts books, seeing as how little I know of them. Yog-Sothoth does seem pretty interesting though. I wonder, is he something of a guardian of time and space? Probably not I suppose, most of the Lovecraft beings seem somewhat malevolent or at least difficult to label with terms like guardian. Not to mention his title is the all in one; that alone sounds pretty cool, and at the same time it sounds like a bundled package deal.

In Egyptian myth, it is believed that a scarab created the sun and rolled it across the sky.

The forum's resident bugmaster posts about an mythological insect....

Big surprise.

I know right? My favorite mythological creature/spirit would have to be a kitsune.

Ah yes, the famed eldritch horrors. I should really read some of Mr. Lovecrafts books, seeing as how little I know of them. Yog-Sothoth does seem pretty interesting though. I wonder, is he something of a guardian of time and space? Probably not I suppose, most of the Lovecraft beings seem somewhat malevolent or at least difficult to label with terms like guardian. Not to mention his title is the all in one; that alone sounds pretty cool, and at the same time it sounds like a bundled package deal.

You're actually right! Yog-Sothoth is the 'gate and key' to the universe and time, so he essentially is the guardian. He's also the door, the lock, and the key that opens the lock.

If you're looking to get into lovecraft lore, I suggest the three stories you start with in this order are Dagon (relatively short), The Call of Cthuhluh, the Dunwitch Horror, then The case of Charles Dexter Ward (my personal favorite). They're all connected, though indirectly.

Then if you're in for a really wild ride, The Dream Quest of Unknown-Kaddath. I've tried several times to finish it, I've yet to get all the way through in my 5+ attempts. It's kind of overwhelming.

Also remember that Lovecraft was a late 18th century writer. So he is REALLY wordy and round about with his writing.

Oh Bugmaster, you know I wuv you!

It then occurred to me that I have fans. Also, check this out.

http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheSpiderWomanandtheTwins-Hopi.html

It's nice to know that insects and spiders are incorporated into human imaginations and beliefs and be revered in a good light.

I am now prompted to research bugs in human mythology...

You're actually right! Yog-Sothoth is the 'gate and key' to the universe and time, so he essentially is the guardian. He's also the door, the lock, and the key that opens the lock.

If you're looking to get into lovecraft lore, I suggest the three stories you start with in this order are Dagon (relatively short), The Call of Cthuhluh, the Dunwitch Horror, then The case of Charles Dexter Ward (my personal favorite). They're all connected, though indirectly.

Then if you're in for a really wild ride, The Dream Quest of Unknown-Kaddath. I've tried several times to finish it, I've yet to get all the way through in my 5+ attempts. It's kind of overwhelming.

Also remember that Lovecraft was a late 18th century writer. So he is REALLY wordy and round about with his writing.

Thank you! Now I certainly have a few books I can add to the ol' reading list. Oh, and I never did mind wordy and round authors. If anything, it just gives me more words that I can use in public, so I can fancier than I actually am.

It's nice to know that insects and spiders are incorporated into human imaginations and beliefs and be revered in a good light.

I am now prompted to research bugs in human mythology...

Well, in modern fiction and fantasy alone there is a HUGE basis on bugs and bug related creatures. I don't think I've played an rpg yet that didn't have some sort of giant spider. In any case, I wish you luck if you decide to research it.

No no no, I know that bugs are a common creature concept. What I meant was that insects or spiders don't seem to be portrayed as "good guys" very often.

Oh, I apologize, I didn't quite catch your drift there. In that case, you wouldn't be familiar with Anansi the spider would you? He has a whole bunch of African legends, and while he isn't technically good per say, he does play a protagonist role.