Carrots and Conversations (Finished)

Lux

It was a typical day in Ponyville as a light colored mare with an orange mane and tail pulled a cart towards the marketplace. It was a small cart, just the right size to transport her wares to her stall. The place was small but did the trick for what she was selling. Carrot Top then unloaded what she had: boxes filled with bundled carrots, containers of sweet baby carrots, a big vat of hot carrot soup, jars of pureed carrots for little foals who didn't have their teeth grow in, carrot cake, carrot pudding, and other products.

With everything unloaded, Carrot Top set out her list of prices and her cash box and then waited for the customers to arrive.

Bass had just stepped off the train from Canterlot. He had a gig in Ponyville in a couple of days and figured he would lounge around until then. He saw an orange haired mare pull out her cart and open her stand. Bass being the curious type walked over and looked at her stand. the only thing that really interested him was the carrot cake. he lifted his glasses, revealing his golden eyes and looked at her with a smug smirk. "Let me guess... you sell apples?"

Carrot Top was so busy making sure that her stall was organized and that everything she needed was out she did not see the unicorn approach. His sudden voice caused her to gasp and instinctly stand up. She forgot that she was under the table when she did so, smacking her head with a sickening thud and causing a jar of pureed carrots to roll from the table onto the ground.

"Ouch," the mare said rubbing her sore head as she tried to back up. Her back hoof then caught the jar, causing her to slip and fall backwards hitting her head again on a back shelf containing several bundled carrots! As if to add insult to injury, one of the carrots, already precariously placed on the shelf before, fell from it and smacked her in the head.

"I'm ok," she said lying on her back, "just give me a moment for the world to stop spinning."

Bass Rider looked at her with and laughed. He wasn't trying to be rude, but all that commotion was some good slapstick. "Here, let me help you." His horn began to glow as he picked up several objects with his horn. once everything was in place he even helped her up. "you okay miss...?"

• 2 weeks later...

Carrot heard the customer laugh as she lay on the ground. Granted that it was funny that she became involved with a series of unfortunate happenings that happened all at once with her, but still she was embarrassed that she fell like that. The mare was pleased when she saw the items on the ground being levitated back to where they should be. She often wondered what life would be like if she were born a unicorn instead of an earth pony. It would definitely make farming easier, especial;ly weeding and harvesting her carrots.

"Oh thanks for helping me," Carrot said as she was helped up by the very gentlecoltly pony, "I'm usually not that accident prone. Anyway, my name is Golden Harvest, but everypony calls me Carrot Top or just Carrot for short. So, whjat's your name?"

"My name's Bass Rider, I'm a DJ from Canterlot." he started, still moving items around with his magic. "I was booked to play a show here in Ponyville. doesn't start for another 3 days but i though i would drop down a little sooner, get to know every one." He finished moving the items that had fallen before returning to face carrot top once more. "It's nice to meat you Miss. Harvest"

"Nice to meet you too Bass Rider," Carrot said as she picked up a few items, "And thanks for helping me. sometimes I wish I was born a unicorn so I could just easily move things like you. It would make life easier for me."

Carrot Top remembered that he was new in town to play for a concert.

"Well I'll certainly at that concert as I always like listening to music. It's not everyday that there's a concert in Ponyville. Most things, as you know since you live there, happen in Canterlot. Anyway, welcome to Ponyville. So, are you interested in something from my stant? I seell carrots and carrot related products."

Bass chuckled again,[colour=#000080] "actually no, I'm sorry."[/colour] he tossed her a single bit, being the cheeky type. [colour=#000080]"but your fumble was a good show. hehe I'm not trying to insult you or anything, it was just so funny" [/colour]

Carrot's ears dropped when Bass Rider mentioned that he wasn't interested in anything from her stand. While it wasn't necessarily a sign that he didn't like her, it was still a shame that the fruits, or in this case vegetables, of her labor were unnoticed. Yet maybe he had already eaten. Or maybe he just needed some persuasion.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Oh well I guess itt was kind of funny. I'm usually not that clumsy, but I'm glad to see that it made you laugh. So, how are you enjoying Ponyville? Do you need help finding anything in town or meeting anypony?"[/colour]

[colour=#ff3399]Aloe was out running some errands while Lotus was covering the spa. It was yet another slow day at the spa, but this time it was welcomed by Aloe. she had no idea what happened but yesterday was the most popular that the spa had been in a long time and they were nearly out of supplies. Well, at least we're getting some time to replenish. if we had the same type of business as yesterday we'd be in trouble, she thought to herself as she was strolling through the market. [/colour]

[colour=#ff3399]Everything was going fine until she caught Miss Harvest out of the corner of her eye taking a tumble. Oh Sweet Celestia that looked painful... better make sure she's alright, she thought to herself as she noticed another unicorn with her. At first she thought that maybe it was this unicorn that had shoved her, but as she got closer she could clearly see that this wasn't the case. The two seemed to be talking and everything appeared to be okay, but it was polite to check up anyway. [/colour][colour=#0066cc]"Miss Harvest, I do apologize for 'he intrusion, but I noticed 'he fall you had and from a distance back it looked rather painful. Are you okay?"[/colour][colour=#ff3399] she asked politely. [/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

(Going to skip chardude for now. If you want to rejoin, feel free to jump in).

As Carrot Top waited for Deep Bass to answer whether he required her assistance getting used to town, she heard a familiar voice nearby. Turning her head in the direction of the sound. It was Aloe, one to the two so-called spa pony sisters. Although Carrot did not frequent the Ponyville Spa often, she did like speaking to Aloe and her sister Lotus. Ther were always very polite and funny. The only problem Carrot had was somethimes she would mix the name's up, calling Aloe Lotus and vice versa.

Apparantly, Aloe had seen Carrot make her comical fall behind the counter. The orange manned mare wondered who else saw her take a tumble.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Oh helllo Aloe. I'm ok. Just took a little spill due to a rogue pureed carrot jar. Anyway. how's the spa?"[/colour]

[colour=#ff6699]Aloe nodded as she listened to Carrot mention the reasoning of the spill. [/colour][colour=#0066cc]"Ah, as long as nothing is broken. Unfortunately at the spa, it's been relatively slow. Honestly, I think sometimes the only thing that actually keeps us afloat is the fact that Rarity spend so many bits there every week. Sure we had some business in between then, but it's few and far in between,"[/colour][colour=#ff6699] Aloe explained to Carrot. She could only hope that things would start improving here soon, but only time would tell.[/colour]

Carrot couldn't help but chuckle at the fact that one pony was keeping a business afloat. Although Carrot knew Rarity from being in the same town with her, the earth pony wondered why one pony was so interested in the spa to go there so many times.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Yeah, sorry that I haven't been to the spa much. I want to go sometime, but even my small carrot crop takes alot of work. I wish I had a pony as crazy for carrots as you have for your spa. Anyway, since you're here, want to try some carrot soup?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#ff33cc]Aloe nodded when Carrot mentioned that she did truly want to come to the spay, but she had just been extremely busy trying to keep up even the small crop that she had. If the season was bad that she struggled with a small crop, I can imagine what Lady Applejack has gone through at the Orchid... she thought to herself. Growing things had never been something that Aloe had been able to do, but it was times like these that she didn't envy the ponies whose whole lives depended on it. It was, from what she had heard, a lot more work than one would expect. Then Carrot asked her if she would like to try some carrot soup. [/colour][colour=#3399cc]"Miss Harvest, it would be a pleasure to partake in some soup. I was actually just thinking about grabbing some lunch anyway. And, I know what you mean. It seems like everypony is struggling this time of year. Hopefully everything starts taking a turn for the better here soon for everypony,"[/colour][colour=#ff33cc] she spoke comfortingly in her thick accent. [/colour]

Carrot Top was excited that Aloe was interested in her soup. She took a bowl and a ladel and opening the metal pot spooned the orange brothed soup into the container. She then set it on the table and grabbed a spoon from under the table and placed it into the bowl.

[colour=#FF8C00]"There you go! Some nice hot soup for a cool day."[/colour]

Carrot listened to Aloe's mentioning of how slow business.

[colour=#FF8C00]"I know. I'm surprised really. I mean where is everypony? Last year, during harvest time, there were many ponies lining up here for carrots and carrot related products. But now, nothing! A pony has to eat right, so where are they getting their veggies from?"[/colour]

Carrot Top didn't really expect Aloe to have the answers. Although she was a business pony, she wasn't of the farming trade. Carrot could only come to one conclusion for the absence of customers: somepony was cutting into her business! Her mind went though the list of farm ponies, trying to think about who grew carrots.There was Sweet Apple Acres which despite their name did also sell vegetables. Yet that crop was a small part of their business. There was another farm on the outskirts of Ponyville, but she couldn't tell if that pony or ponies sold carrots.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Say speaking of the spa Aloe, I have to ask you something. I heard from another pony that you give mud baths. How does that work to beautify a pony? I mean, I work in mud all day. It comes with the territory of being a farm mare. But the mud sure doesn't make me look pretty. In fact I usually have to make a trip to the bathtub before I want to meet anypony important."[/colour]

[colour=#ff66cc](Completely understand. And Lux, congrats, you're the first person that's ever made me have to do research before a post. Because I had no idea how a mud bath helped until I looked it up.)[/colour]

[colour=#ff66cc]Aloe graciously took the bowl of soup from Miss Harvest. She took a sip of the soup, and per her usual it was amazing. It had all the right spices to make the taste buds dance. She listened as she drank the soup to her agreeing with her, asking where everypony was? She said that last year during harvest time, there were ponies lined up from all over, now there was almost no one. She wondered where they all were stating that everypony had to eat. [/colour]

[colour=#3399cc]"Hmm, well. I have noticed an increase in the population of Ponyville over the years. Which makes it all the more, unusual that business would be down. I haven't heard of any other spa's opening up though in Ponyville though, and I certainly haven't heard of any other farmers coming in. All we can do though is keep our chins up. I'm certain things will get better soon, at least on your end. Everypony needs carrots, but not everypony needs to be at the spa unfortunately,"[/colour][colour=#ff66cc] she commented.[/colour]

[colour=#ff66cc]As she finished her bowl of soup she handed the bowl back to Miss Harvest. It seemed that she was having a hard enough time without having to lose bowls as well. Not that she'd ever consider such a thing anyway. [/colour]

[colour=#ff66cc]Her ears perked up though when she heard Miss Harvest ask a spa related question. She asked how a mud bath worked to beautify a pony, that she worked in the mud every day and it didn't make her feel any prettier. In fact she normally had to take a shower afterwards. The comment brought a small chuckle to Aloe. [/colour][colour=#3399cc]"Well Miss Harvest, for starters we use a different type of mud than what is commonly found around here. The mud that we used is a compounding of mineral rich spring water, perfectly heated to the right temperature, We then mix that water with a mixture of Volcanic ash, Clay, and a bit of seaweed. The oils from the seaweed help maintain the vibrancy of your coat while the minerals in the clay, water, and the volcanic ash help reduce the stress on the body by gently soothing away the aches and pains of a hard days work. [/colour]

[colour=#3399cc]The minerals as well do wonders for ponies with underlying skin conditions under their coats. Dry or irritable skin is no longer a problem after a nice mud bath. I have heard that there are ways to replicate the experience in ones own home, but let me assure you, by the time you get all the right ingredients for a proper mud bath, it would have been cheaper to just go to the spa in the first place. The Vocalnic ash, is actually the most expensive part of the soil mixture that we use, and it's one of the most important parts,"[/colour][colour=#ff66cc] she explained with a smile. [/colour]

(That's ok chardude. And I hope I didn't make your brain explode from research Ice)

[colour=#FF8C00]"I know about ponies moving in and you're right there were no farmer ponies that I can think of or spa ponies. You would think that at least someponies would want carrots. But you're right I will keep thinking that it will get better, hopefully sooner than later. And hopefully your spa will also get busier too."[/colour]

Carrot then listened to the explanation of the mud bath. Being a simple pony, most concepts went over her head like a breeze. Now Carrot Top was not a dumb pony. It was just that in her world, things like science or magic were foreign to her and often required a simplified explanation and lots of questioning to allow her to understand.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Oh so it's a special mud. It sounds complicated, but it sounds nice too. I like the fact that it helps with aches. I get those from farming. Some carrots are a little pesky to pull out.Where do you get those ingredients from? I know there's no ocean or volcano here."[/colour]

Bass had kinda drifted off, listening to the two mares talk. When Carrot top asked were they get there ingredients Bass simply added, [colour=#0000cd]"There probably shipped in. most likely via pegisi." [/colour][colour=#000000]he shrugged not really sure if he was right. [/colour][colour=#0000cd]"Hey Aloe, if business is snow i could drop by. got a couple of days to waist here and it would be a nice little treatment. heck maybe i could even help out a little, cant be that hard... right?" [/colour]

Static Arc was taking another one of his many strolls through the town of Ponyville, after working yet another tough day at the Weather Factory. Nowadays, things seemed to be stuck in a rut. A never ending loop of events that Static normally went through every day. Wake up, eat some toast and some fruit, go to work, either have a good day or a bad day, and depending on the two, either go to Ponyville and check to see if anythings new, or simply go home and read the rest of the day away. Nothing ever really changes around Static's life, and the only thing that seemed different were the little conversations and events that happened in Ponyville. When it was either buying something from a strange pony, or checking out something out of place from normal days. In those days, Static felt his life wasn't just a waste of time. He felt more alive in these encounters, and he needed more of them.

As Static Arc found himself yet again in the middle of the marketplace, frowning a little at his earlier deduction. He didn't want his life to be the same thing over and over again. He needed to do something dashing. Something daring. Something he wouldn't ever do even if it meant his life was on the line.

Static started to get a little twitch in his eye and he started to shake a little, excited about what he would do to attract attention to himself and shake the day up. He was going to do something drastic, but where?

Static Arc found himself staring at what seemed like a regular carrot stand with an orange-maned mare who seemed like the owner of the stand talking to an elegant mare with a rose coloured coat, as well as a blue coated unicorn standing nearby.

Alright then, it's time to shake up the day a little.

Static Arc contemplated on how he would approach this, how he could shake the day up a bit. Finally, he settled on the one thing he thought he would ever dream of doing.

Static Arc took a few deep breaths, closed his eyes, thinking for a split second if this was really worth creating another crazy scenario, just so he could change his day up a little and create a bit of excitement.

Static then suddenly charged toward the carrot stall, shouting like a mad pony, shaking his head side to side with his tongue hanging out, flopping from side to side. When Static was close enough to the carrot stall, he jumped up high, letting out one last yell, and crash landed on top of the stand. The carrot-themed food items were flung in several directions, smashing to the ground. The stand was completely demolished, and the food that was on it was almost nearly all destroyed. As Static Arc lay on top of the mess that was once the carrot stand, he wondered what had become of the other ponies around him and if they were hurt in the process of his insanely stupid stunt, only to gain attention and to add something ecxiting to his day.

Mabye I kinda went over the top there. I could of just, I don't know, ask to them to be my friend instead of this stupid stunt.

Static Arc wondered what would happen now after his brief moment of insanity and loss of character.

Bass gazed at the new pony splattered in various carrot foods in wonder, was he insane? "[colour=#0000CD]what are you-?[/colour]" He lifted Static by his tail with his magic, "[colour=#0000CD]Dude First, are you okay. Second, are you insane!?[/colour]" He sighed and placed Arc back on the ground, [colour=#0000CD]"I'm sorry Miss Harvest I'll go find a mop and broom for my new friend here"[/colour][colour=#000000] He shot the new pony a serious look before walking away to find the item needed to help clean up.[/colour]

• 4 weeks later...

Carrot Top was so busy listening to Deep Bass and Aloe that she had failed to see another pony come barreling her way. She turned at the last moment to see a pony leapin into the air...

Crash!

The pony landed on top of the stall, causing the earth pony's food to be thrown everywhere and the mare to be buried in debris of her once neatly organized stall. For a moment Carrot just lay there, afraid that if she moved she would get hurt or that more stuff would fall on her. Then slowly she rose to her hooves and looked around. Her carrots were on the ground along with her soup kettle which was spilling its precious contents and several smashed jars of strained puree carrots. Worse of all, her wooden stall was reduced to splinters.

[colour=#FF8C00]"My stall. My carrots. My soup."[/colour]

And then the mare could only do one thing: cry uncontrollably at the destruction around her.

[colour=#ff66cc]Aloe took a few steps back to avoid being hit by any of the debris from the crash. As the newcomer smashed into the cart, carrots, soup, jars, and splinters went in every direction imaginable and was reduced to nothing but a huge mess. Bass shot the other pegasus that crashed into the cart a serious look after asking if he was okay before going to get supplies to help clean up. She could barely believe what had just transpired in front of her. One moment she was here having a conversation with a friend of hers over a bowl of soup, and the next everything that the mare own in front of her was now in shambles. She heard Golden's reaction, which was one well deserved for the situation as she began to break down. Aloe couldn't help but feel sorry for her friend. She'd just last her entire way of making a living for the season and Aloe had no idea if she had enough harvest left to last the rest of the season. [/colour]

[colour=#ff66cc]Giving her a soft smile, Aloe walked over to her and pulled her into a hug. [/colour][colour=#6699cc]"Here, take these,"[/colour][colour=#ff66cc] she said pulling back from the hug and holding out a bag containing fifty bits. [/colour][colour=#6699cc]"You need these more than I do right now, and if there's anything that I can do for you to help, all you have to do is say the word,"[/colour][colour=#ff66cc] she added with a smile.[/colour][colour=#6699cc] "After all, like we just said, if we don't watch out for each other, we're all doomed. Also here, take this too. It's a one-day spa pass for our most expensive treatment. It's completely free for you to use whenever you'd like and it will never expire. Be a little something to help pick us both up a bit,"[/colour][colour=#ff66cc] she told her turning to the pegasus that was still laying on the broken cart.[/colour]

[colour=#6699cc]"Are you hurt?"[/colour][colour=#ff66cc] She asked him. Granted it was most likely an accident, but that didn't change the fact that everything that Golden Harvest had worked so hard for this season had been ruined. If he was okay, then she felt that he would need to help set things right. She didn't really know how yet, but she would think of something. At the very least helping to pay for the damages wasn't out of the question so that Miss Harvest could at least buy a new stall. She would await his answer before thinking into it more though. [/colour]

It had taken Static Arc quite a long time to process what he just did. He laid there in a mess of carrots and broken wood, witnessing the orange-maned carrot seller crying over her own stall. Her pride, her work, her memories of the carrot stall destroyed around her. Static felt his heart hurt painfully and felt his own eyes well up in tears as he looked up at the broken mare. Why had he decided to this? What drove him to do something completely crazy, just to gather the attention of ponies around him, while not even thinking of the consequences?

The mare who was talking to the carrot vendor ran up and started to comfort her, apologizing for Static's behaviour, which also made him feel even worse about himself. He couldn't even get up to say sorry, and was having another pony do it for him.

Static started to bury his head in his hooves, still on top of wreckage, praying to Celestia that this was just a bad dream. He was now crying freely, horrified at what he did.

Before Static knew it, he was yanked up by his tail in a wave of magic. He was propped upright by a unicorn with a blue coat, with a stern look on his face. It was the colt that was standing a ways away from the two mares. He had asked him if he was okay, but then scolded him for his actions and left to find something to clean up the mess.

That was something of a wake-up call for the pegasus. If he wasn't just brought back to reality by the stallion, he might have just stayed there on the ground for the longest time. Now that Static was brought back to the present, he looked back to see the Earth Pony who was talking to the carrot salesmare walk over to where Static was standing. Static looked back to the orange-haired mare as she was holding a few bits on her hoof and a piece of paper.

The money must be for repairs... but she needs more. She still needs some for more product. Oh Static, how did you get into all of this...

The mare walked up to Static and asking if he was injured for the second time. At least Ponyville's residents were courteous to maniacs who ruin carrot stands. Static looked around his body for anything, and gasped at something he didn't ackknowledge in the beginning. He had a heavy gash on his back leg which he started to realise that it hurt pretty badly. He also had a few splinters on different parts of his body which stung with pain. Static needed to see a doctor about this, but he couldn't leave the mare with her destroyed stand by herslef. He would seem selfish if he left to fix his injuries now. Static decided to deal with it for now until he dealt with his mess. Static looked up to the mare, with a heavy heart for what he just did and dried tears on his face. He couldn't run away now. He could never run away from what he did. He had to fix things right now, because if he didn't, he could never forgive himself.

[colour=#008080]"I...I'm fine, but... I am so sorry for what happened. I...I just wasn't thinking...I...excuse me."[/colour]

Static knew that he shouldn't be here, apologizing to the wrong pony. It was the salesmare he hurt, and he should be her he should be saying sorry to. Static walked past the mare with a wince and stumbled a bit as he bent his back leg, stretching the gash and shooting pain up his body. Static ignored it and stood next to the salespony. She obviously looked incredibly distressed over what happened, and Static couldnt just stand there. If he couldn't do anything for her stall, he didn't even want to think what she would do without a job for earning bits.

[colour=#008080]"I...I know there isn't any words to justify what I did, and I can't stand by and watch your buisness crumble, so if there is anything I can do to help you, I will try my hardest to do just that. Look, I'll even start now!"[/colour]

Static then ran over to the broken mess with a small limp and started shifting broken, small pieces of wood that couldn't be used again into a pile, while sorting the larger pieces that could be reused to fix the stand again into another pile. All Static wanted to do was rewrite his act of selfishness, and make amends with the ponies he affected. The only way to do that though, is to start small and clear the pile of broken wood and spilled, mashed carrot treats. Static started to acknowledge his injuries more as he worked, wincing with pain from his gash and many splinters, but shrugged it off. He wasn't going to leave until he fixed this, and he was dead-set on that.