Why do people say that Rainbow Dash is a lesbian?

Leon K Fox

Very good, back of topic... kind of. I was hoping somepony would bring this thread back to relating with the idea of why so many insist Rainbow Dash is lesbian.

-----------------------------------------

Myself I consider it like this: I have read and enjoyed fanfiction or art where Rainbow Dash is with a mare, whether with her friends or with another, unless the writers labels her as lesbian and tries shoving it down the reader's/viewer's throat. Myself, I believe she will most likely get with a Wonderbolt when the time is right. Whether this is a mare or a stallion, myself pick Soarin, is not so much the point for me. I would prefer for fans not to encourage stereotypes, and really having Rainbow Dash be lesbian makes her a flying stereotype with legs thus not a good thing in my eyes. Please do not encourage stereotypes, that is all I ask.

I do feel it is unlikely for any of the mane Six to get together as I just don't feel that is the kind of relationship they are developing between each other. One could argue with Rainbow Dash being with just about any of her friends and while a good case was made between her and Rarity I could if I go through the episodes find just as likely of combinations.

Don't mind Eris (or whatever her username is by the time you read this) she's apparently either very depressed or very trollish... I'm hoping the latter...

Well I can make good troll bait, so it is possible, and I can get loud with my feelings in involving the show. Really a troll could have a lot of fun with me, and I often willingly go into such situations knowing full well I may be being trolled.

Come now, I may have fun with most (all) of you, but I'm afraid you're all only reading exactly what I put on the page. And since when did being brutally honest constitute trolling? ;)

Also, shipping can only lead to capsizing. It's inevitable for all such things. And at least Rainbow is a flying stereotype. The other stereotypes are stuck on the ground.

Come now, I may have fun with most (all) of you, but I'm afraid you're all only reading exactly what I put on the page. And since when did being brutally honest constitute trolling? ;)

Because for many fans it is not the truth, more it is your feelings that the show has become all about Twilight or that Applejack is a background pony. -smiles-

Feelings have nothing to do with the fact that Twilight gained the lion's share of rewards for an entire group's efforts. She may nice to them, it may have been unintentional, but they were indeed stepping stones for her. Rainbow Dash is included, but she gets to have romantic thoughts about her female friends, and that's just as good as godhood I'm sure.

And at least Rainbow is a flying stereotype. The other stereotypes are stuck on the ground.

Good thing the show was made so that the Mane Six would not just be stereotypes then, more then one note characters. Rarity is a perfect example of the complexity that one can find in a character, of how she could be both the Element of Generosity and have her selfish or greedy moments. When the chips are down she is willing to put her friends before herself. ;)

Feelings have nothing to do with the fact that Twilight gained the lion's share of rewards for an entire group's efforts. She may nice to them, it may have been unintentional, but they were indeed stepping stones for her. Rainbow Dash is included, but she gets to have romantic thoughts about her female friends, and that's just as good as godhood I'm sure.

Again I would say it is a matter of perspective and interpretation of what one sees. I see six mares, each with their own path and dreams, their own desires and hopes. Ponies brought together to become heroes and friends, facing impossible odds and with their bond tested to their limits. Yes one could argue that the show follows the journey of Twilight Sparkle, a mare with a destiny that not even she fully realizes the potential off but like a puzzle, or more perhaps an archway, the story cannot go on without it being The Mane Six... not The Mane One. Remember one can know a hero by the companions they keep, and this can apply to each of the six ponies we follow as we watch this show.

I'm venturing that RD will quite enjoy the selection of mares about without Twilight bringing forward every doom Equestria has ever known. Or she will, once Twilight continues on her own path that her friends eventually won't be able to follow. If anything, I'd imagine worrying about her friends' lives would make Rainbow's self-discovery more difficult. It feels on-topic to me.

• Like 1

I'm venturing that RD will quite enjoy the selection of mares about without Twilight bringing forward every doom Equestria has ever known. Or she will, once Twilight continues on her own path that her friends eventually won't be able to follow. If anything, I'd imagine worrying about her friends' lives would make Rainbow's self-discovery more difficult. It feels on-topic to me.

... if you wish to continue going over this I would suggest sending me a PM or us making a thread. As this seems like it will be a lengthy discussion and not all involving Rainbow Dash's sexuality. Thank you

Trust me this will get off topic if we continue.

Perhaps it's all the slice of life that drives RD to view sexuality as she does. The severe lack of stallions coupled with successful mares everywhere might account for some of it. Also tomboys are usually regarded with such scrutiny.

• Like 1

Also tomboys are usually regarded with such scrutiny.

Which Lauran Faust called a woman out for. Don't forget -grin-

------

To the rest I honestly don't believe there is that huge of a difference in numbers between males and females, otherwise there would be a big issue with population growth.

We're just treated to a mostly female cast is all.

Unless RD hangs out with tons of males in her time off-screen, there's a definite lack. Lauren calling someone out for stereotyping doesn't change that the stigma is likely a large reason most viewers make that assumption.

Yet remember stereotypes are bad Tom a largely because they are not always true. As Lauren said making such an assumption based on Rainbow's appearance is insulting both straight and lesbian tomboys.

Making an assumption based on appearance is not a good idea... again especially I remind when her design wasn't supposed to have rainbows

Regardless of what RD was supposed to be, it's what she is that people see. And what she is is a rainbow-haired tomboy that has rather butch tendencies. Those qualities carry homosexual connotations in our day and time.

• 10 months later...