Ponies + Human Tools = WTF

Catloaf

Before I get the speculation ball rolling, I'd just like to point out that yes, I do realize the show's lack of logic at times and Pinkie Pie's ability to phase through the fourth wall at will. Now that that's done, who else is kind of confused by the fact that the ponies use human tools made for hands instead of hooves? They seem useless to ponies at best, and dangerous at worst. And why in the world weren't they made/adapted for hooves (i.e. a cup that fits over the hoof instead of a handle)? I'm betting that they either inherited or flat-out stole the technology from humans (who may or may not exist/be alive). I think that may even be where they got magic from too (As in, finding old spellbooks we humans accidentally discarded as useless garbage). I've seen an image or two on Ponibooru about this, but I didn't see any threads on here about it.

So, what do you guys think?

I always liked the theory that ponies end up inhabiting Earth after homo sapiens die off for some reason. And perhaps not too much longer later (maybe even while humans still existed), some species of equine gained intelligence and decreased in size. After the humans die off, it's filled with the remains of human's existence: saddles, human tools, and even some architecture.

And of course as always, magic makes it all complete.

I always liked the theory that ponies end up inhabiting Earth after homo sapiens die off for some reason. And perhaps not too much longer later (maybe even while humans still existed), some species of equine gained intelligence and decreased in size. After the humans die off, it's filled with the remains of human's existence: saddles, human tools, and even some architecture.

That still leaves the problems of where magic and mythical critters like dragons came from. I'm betting they got magic the same way they got tools; by finding where we left it. There were probably old magic books thrown away because they were automatically assumed to be fake, when they were actually real. As for mythical creatures, they were probably "summoned" through magical effects, or maybe created through human science either before humans disappeared, or after by hidden human survivors. Maybe the mad science angle explains the rise of the ponies too.

Edit: Fixed a typo where i typed 'whey' instead of way for some reason.

That still leaves the problems of where magic and mythical critters like dragons came from. I'm betting they got magic the same way they got tools; by finding where we left it. There were probably old magic books thrown away because they were automatically assumed to be fake, when they were actually real. As for mythical creatures, they were probably "summoned" through magical effects, or maybe created through human science either before humans disappeared, or after by hidden human survivors. Maybe the mad science angle explains the rise of the ponies too.

following the "land after humans" idea, i think simple evolution could have get the "mythical" creatures done.

As of now the only magical creatures are the ponies, right?

following the "land after humans" idea, i think simple evolution could have get the "mythical" creatures done.

Phoenixes, too.

I had a conversation on a Spyro forum about the possible existence of dragons, and on established thought was that, if dragons could ever be real, would nature and evolutions be able to contain all of the elements that en-tale what a dragon is. Of course, magic is a touchy subject in scientific terms, but we came to somewhat of an agreement that a creature that breathes fire is possible, because there are three things needed to make fire: oxygen, fuel, and a spark. Oxygen is obvious, some creatures in the dead sea have known to produce methane gas, and several creatures on earth have the ability to produce spark-giving mechanisms in their biology. We also assumed that even though no vertebrate creature on earth has more than 4 limbs, an evolutionary change to create 6 or more limbs is completely plausible.

Another thing to entertain ourselves in thought with is, the possibility that other worlds and planets may have different biologies than we have. The notion to us that you cannot have life without water makes sense, since we have yet to find life in place where there is no sign of H2O. But what if the building blocks of life evolved on a planet without any moisture. If this is possible, than other life-giving worlds could contain a completely different biology than our own, making it extremely unique. The possibilities on the appearance and attributes of life in these kinds of situations has almost no boundaries.

hi hi

Evolution usually has a lot of different paths it could take in any given environment, but there are some notable similarities that you find just about everywhere. (Eyes being one of the biggest ones) Concerning the number of limbs, wings and things, as animals get larger in size, their structures tend to simplify due to the inescapable fact that materials become less efficient the bigger you get. (Square-cube law) Just look at the T-rex and its tiny arms. So having 6 limbs on a large creature seems unlikely, though obviously not impossible. Functional wings on the other hand, well, all I can say is: "its magic." Wingspan seems like a silly thing to get into in this setting doesn't it? Pegasi don't seem to pay aerodynamics any mind at all. :D

If Equestria really is in the future, who knows what kind of Deus ex Machina could have been whipped up to make a world like that?

If Equestria really is in the future, who knows what kind of Deus ex Machina could have been whipped up to make a world like that?

I'm betting either magic, mad science, or radiation. Hey, if we can have magical talking ponies who use human tools, radioactivity being beneficial and/or gene splicing allowing you to make animal hybrids or new animals isn't that far-fetched. Of course, magic could fit in there too somewhere.

I suppose, if I wanted to be a party-pooper I could say the real answer is of cause if the tools etc. were redesigned for equine use we'd have difficulty recognizing them and so the show's jokes wouldn't come across as easily.

But I'm not, so, Equestria=post-humanity Earth will have to do.

I like to think that while human-kind may be extinct or at least lost their role as dominate species, their influence in shaping equine culture still exists for better or worse. Notice how the Diamond Dogs view the most cultured and regal main pony, Rarity, as nothing more than a beast of burden or the offended reaction from the carriage-pulling ponies after Spike cracks the reigns. Equestria may be a save haven for ponies in a world that seeks to enslave them. Celestia (and Luna in turn) may be mere benevolent rulers to the citizens of Equestria but to the outside world they are the immortal saviors of the pony race, allowing the other creatures to reap the benefits of the sun and moon in exchange for the security of the pony's land. Perhaps there are equine group/species that still exist outside of Equestria and are able to survive the dangerous environment outside, ie. zebras like Zecora being comfortable living in the wild Everfree forest.

... Ehh, I'm rambling and getting off topic. Basically the tools could be the remnants of humans and/or other sentient creatures outside of Equestria that enslaved ponies as we do in the real world. As for a in-canon explain for why they still use them after at least a thousand years without adapting them for equine anatomy, I have no clue.

Evolution could, but it be a very long development since there are no creatures on the Earth today remotely close to dragons or phoenixes or hydra. By the time such species developed naturally from anything today (and to be honest it have to be some special environmental factors involved to ever "guide" evolution along such routes), anything remaining of human civilization would be so long gone, pony-kind would never use our technology or culture at all.

I could see it has much more plausible that sentient ponies (along with Pegasus and unicorns), dragons, phoenixes, etc. Were the result of severe, long-term purposeful genetic tampering for whatever scientific reasoning (even if it was just curiosity).

hi hi

To be honest (and I apologize in advance for being so off topic) but every time I think of how Equestria was made, the first thought that always comes to mind is that episode from Trigun where the audience learns about Vash and Knives origins, except replace them with Celestia and Luna.

Within the scope of the setting though, I think it is somewhat reasonable to think that sometime in the distant past, there was a pony who wanted to fly and used magic to grow wings, or something like that.

They explain how characters like Twilight can use them, using her magic to hold up said items and use them that way (for example quills when she writes letters) but for the other characters there is no such explanation as of yet, but...does there really need to be one? It's one of the greatest and most well written cartoons ever made even with the odd gap in the logic ^^

They explain how characters like Twilight can use them, using her magic to hold up said items and use them that way (for example quills when she writes letters) but for the other characters there is no such explanation as of yet, but...does there really need to be one? It's one of the greatest and most well written cartoons ever made even with the odd gap in the logic ^^

No there doesn't, but one of the most fun aspects of being a fan of a show is speculating about it and filling in the gaps yourself.

I just thought about something... where in the world did the diamond dogs come from? Wolves were domesticated by humans and became dogs, so how could the diamond dogs exist, be wild and intelligent, and wear humanlike clothing if humans never existed in Equestria? I'm also wondering what was up with Applejack's dog in "Applebuck Season". Ponies, being herbivores, don't seem like they'd be able to get along with carnivorous wolves for the ages required to domesticate them. It seems more like wolves would simply see them as food (They mainly eat ungulates; horses/ponies are ungulates).