Beggars in Equestria

Trombone2525

Equestria has changed. Technology corporations have taken over politics, the economy, everything. The Princess is just figurehead for the CEO's who actually run the land. And nopony seems to mind. They go about their lives, and they enjoy the new advances. But some ponies feel that something is missing...

One thing that has become the norm is giving your children genetic modifications, or genemods, before birth. These range from better eyesight, stronger wings, specific coat colour, magical ability (though this one is not very popular), and a whole range of other things. This is where you are now.

"Alright, so you have selected genemods for intellegence, a green coat, brown mane, and curiosity. Before we fill out all the paperwork, I would like to present you an opportunity. There is a new genemod, but it is still in its testing phase. If you allow us, you would be the first parents with a child that does not require sleep. In lab tests, this has brought about no negative side effects, but we wont know for sure until the birth. Are you interested?"

• Like 1

Allanon says nothing, merely watching the assembled group with an eye of critique (Not to mention that the other one was glass.) He grasps the hilt of Narsil, his dark broadsword.

Forte follows his eyes, looking around the room at the assembled scientists. He then eyes the sword nervously. The security guards had tried to get him to leave it at the front door, but Allanon fought pretty hard to keep it.

"Um, Mr. Allanon? Your decision?"

The Druid did not reply immediately. He loosens his grasp on the hilt, and walks around the room, still watching everyone. He finally says "I strongly suggest that you test for allergenic problems before releasing this...genemod..." He spoke with a dark and commanding voice.

He then says "I also suggest providing this option to one who has a spouse, unlike myself. I am only here to enforce that no....problems....arise within this chamber."

Allanon hold his grip on the blade, and says "That is my input. My concern is the safety of the patient, not the genemodifier itself. It is not a pretty sight when folks mutate from allergenic reactions..."

"Oh, that is not how genemods work. There's no chance of spontanious mutation, malignant or benign. At least, not with registered genemods. And, you cant really have an allergic reaction to a gene... All genemods are made in utero. We assure you, all of our genemods are safe. Even the sleepless genemod. It will not cause any psycological damage, and it will not cause mental retardation. We are just unsure of what all other effects may be."

Allanon growls and says "Ira mea est magna! You have the audacity to release a product of which you are unsure what the affects are?" He regains his composure, and slowly walks towards the door.

Forte looked after Allanon distressed. He didnt understand the scientific process. But then again, when do government agents ever really understand what they are enforcing. The Sleepless genemod is not dangerous. Tests on rats and other animals have been rousing successes, with the animals seeming to not only not require sleep, but also to be smarter, more curious, and even happier. The scientists know that the genemod wont be harmful to ponies, but they are unsure to what extent the other effects, the intelligence, curiosity, and happiness, will carry over to ponies.

Allanon looked back at Forte before leaving and said "By the way...I am no agent of this corrupted government. I can see things you cannot, and in many ways most never thought possible. I know what I speak of..." He then vanished into thin air, leaving not a trace of his being there.

Forte was puzzled at Allanons words. Could a Sleepless generation end up changing the world? If so, would it be for the better? He didnt know. But he wasnt going to let a strange ponies puzzling comments stop scientific progress. He went back to work with the other scientests and waited for the next customer.