I need a mentor.

TGaPTrixie

Now, I get that there is abit of a process that comes before you can get into the RP here on Canterlot.com, and I also understand that it is very well layed out as to how you go about that process. However I am used to a very different style of Roleplaying than the form I see here on Canterlot.com. So I am making this thread as a way of requesting one of you more savvy ponies here on the site to guide me through the steps of forum RP. How it works, what I need to know, proper edicate and the like. I would like to atleast make a minior effort to become more active in this community but in order to do so I need a reason to come here, and I feel Roleplaying can be that reason.

The type of RP I am most firmalir with is one on one instant RP (such as private messages, or Instant Messager applications) more in the since of: *Stands with a deep sigh as he streaches his arms high into the air and shakes off his weary limbs* but from reading some forum RP threads, it seems the format is quite different, which is abit of a deturrant to me. So I suppose, I mostly want someone to take me by the hoof, show me the ropes and explain to me that it's not as complicated as it seems. Hope someone is interested in doing this for me! :)

Well I've been on the site for a bit, and even though I'm not the most accomplished RPer I think I have a good grasp of how it all works.

I'd be more than happy to help in this situation :)

Are you looking for a step by step from the very beginning or do you already get some of the more basic concepts? Just asking so I know where to start :D

1. Most of what you'll need is all in the Rules/Info Section: just go to Extras up at the top and scroll down to the Rules bar.

1A. They really should make "Info, Rules, & Guide" its own menu and not just something in the "Extra" menu, considering how important those things are.

2. Think of Canterlot RP as round-robin fanfiction, except that you're not controlling all the characters. ;)

It seems to me that the RP does work in the "shake of the weary limbs" kind of way. I like to think of it as a book a group of people are writing together, and they use literary devices to make it, well, a better book.

It seems to me that the RP does work in the "shake of the weary limbs" kind of way. I like to think of it as a book a group of people are writing together, and they use literary devices to make it, well, a better book.

Well you see there is where the problem in lies with me, I don't really like that style of RP =/ The type of RP I prefer tends to be more of the one on one thing where each person is only in control of their own character and it's balanced. Something I see often in Forum RP that is a turn off to me is people controlling more characters than just one and causing somewhat erratic and difficult to follow RP situations in doing so. Not to mention how difficult it tends to be to try and figure out the best way of entering an RP that has already begun without completely uprooting the current storyline it has.

1A. They really should make "Info, Rules, & Guide" its own menu and not just something in the "Extra" menu, considering how important those things are.

Yeah!

Besides the Extras menu, the graphic banner on the front page on the right and the link of the bottom right of every page on the site... it's near impossible to find.

Besides the Extras menu, the graphic banner on the front page on the right and the link of the bottom right of every page on the site... it's near impossible to find.

Still, if the Chat Room is important enough to get it's own menu on the top banner, why not "Info, Rules, & Guide"? Just my two cents, though. :blush:

• Like 1

Still, if the Chat Room is important enough to get it's own menu on the top banner, why not "Info, Rules, & Guide"? Just my two cents, though. :blush:

Wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic at first or not...

Well, I'm no Roleplayer, but maybe you should try RPing with people your own skill level. It can be a bit overwhelming trying to RP with someone who has been at it for a while.

Well you see there is where the problem in lies with me, I don't really like that style of RP =/ The type of RP I prefer tends to be more of the one on one thing where each person is only in control of their own character and it's balanced. Something I see often in Forum RP that is a turn off to me is people controlling more characters than just one and causing somewhat erratic and difficult to follow RP situations in doing so. Not to mention how difficult it tends to be to try and figure out the best way of entering an RP that has already begun without completely uprooting the current storyline it has.

Really? I only see a few people on the site that actually use multiple characters in one post (Mojo!). If you don't want to Roleplay that way, set the rules in the OP. You can totally restrict it to one character per person for that RP, so long as you're the creator. The creator gets to determine post length (min/max), type of character, setting, etc. But on this site, I see pretty much what you want. I know I have like twenty character's, but I believe I have yet to use multiples in an RP. It is difficult to control more than one character, so most don't seem to do it. Anyway, the new people guide should help explain things.

Back in the glory days of myspace I frequented the RP community that lurked there and quite frequently would create characters and para RP with others, oh how I do miss such days, but as I said I am much more comfortable with they type of IM or Private messaging RP, more one on one based, sort of like one would do in a skype chat I suppose. I just feel that the format is much to different on a forum which has me somewhat afraid to even try, I want a mentor more as a confidence boost as well as someone I can turn to for advice if I get lost or confused on something. Anyone that would like to feel that position my suggestion to you, PM me and invite me into an RP or start one up with me, help me learn by experience if you would, I'm much too nervous to just walk into an RP on my own or start one.

• Like 1