Spike and Rarity

Thaumh

I agree! I think it's quite weird when people legitimately ship them.

You are right that they probably age differently. Dragons in lore tend to live thousands of years, while ponies on Earth live to be around 30. However, it has been said numerous times in show that Spike is, at current, a baby Dragon. Rarity runs and owns her own business, and is obviously an adult. Twilight hatched Spike when she was a child, so she is already 5-10 years older than he is. If he could have a legitimate romantic relationship with Rarity, he could just as easily have one with Twilight. And you know what I say to that?

For some reason I can't see ponies in MLP aging at the same rate. It just doesn't seem like the case, if we knew how old ponyville was we'd have a decent idea. It just seems unlikely that ponyville is >30 years old.

Of course you are right in that regard, but with dragons since greed and possession heavily affect their growth rates it's not really a good way to describe a dragon past the hatchling stage of it's life. It's entirely possible for Spike to remain that size until the day Rarity dies, we just don't know enough about dragon maturation to really say.

What I'm saying is that age Twilight hatched him before magic kindergarten (which for a human would be around the age of 4-6) we have no idea how old Twilight is, but I like to think that noone in the mane is is over the equivalent of a 21 year old woman. So at absolute maximum we have a 12-21 spread (in my head) which I can lower even further with facts like Rarity wasn't formally trained, and didn't go to school for what she does (or has yet to be stated) and assuming that as a prodigy, Twilight hatched Spike when she was 4. That can bring the gap down to 14(Spike)-18(Rarity).

(BTW thats my head canon)

Then there is the problem with Spike being a baby. I agree that the way Spike looks now, it would be creepy. But most fic that are Spike x Rarity actually had both Celestia and Twilight be competent enough to regulate greed and possession for Spike at some point so that he could be at a stage in his life that was most comparable to what a colt the same age would be. That or Spike left then, returned aged up because his experiences.

TL;DR: I don't think age is much of an issue, it's maturation and because of the fact that Spike is a dragon he is pretty much being cheated. Remember how spike looked in the middle of "Secret of my Excess" when he was maybe about 3/4 the size of a diamond dog? That's how large I believe he would be if they regulated his dragon tendencies to let him grow at a manageable rate.

Yes, if Spike was OLDER, I could perhaps see him with Rarity. But at their current ages, it's weird.

I don't tend to like Spike at the size he is now with Rarity either, it's unnerving. It really puts spike in a weird position, since in my head canon the CMC aren't older than 8 so they aren't suitable to little puppy love either. My head canon Spike is suffering a in a twilight like state of being OLD enough, but not being physically mature enough and vice versa.

For some reason I can't see ponies in MLP aging at the same rate. It just doesn't seem like the case, if we knew how old ponyville was we'd have a decent idea. It just seems unlikely that ponyville is >30 years old.

Of course you are right in that regard, but with dragons since greed and possession heavily affect their growth rates it's not really a good way to describe a dragon past the hatchling stage of it's life. It's entirely possible for Spike to remain that size until the day Rarity dies, we just don't know enough about dragon maturation to really say.

What I'm saying is that age Twilight hatched him before magic kindergarten (which for a human would be around the age of 4-6) we have no idea how old Twilight is, but I like to think that noone in the mane is is over the equivalent of a 21 year old woman. So at absolute maximum we have a 12-21 spread (in my head) which I can lower even further with facts like Rarity wasn't formally trained, and didn't go to school for what she does (or has yet to be stated) and assuming that as a prodigy, Twilight hatched Spike when she was 4. That can bring the gap down to 14(Spike)-18(Rarity).

(BTW thats my head canon)

Then there is the problem with Spike being a baby. I agree that the way Spike looks now, it would be creepy. But most fic that are Spike x Rarity actually had both Celestia and Twilight be competent enough to regulate greed and possession for Spike at some point so that he could be at a stage in his life that was most comparable to what a colt the same age would be. That or Spike left then, returned aged up because his experiences.

TL;DR: I don't think age is much of an issue, it's maturation and because of the fact that Spike is a dragon he is pretty much being cheated. Remember how spike looked in the middle of "Secret of my Excess" when he was maybe about 3/4 the size of a diamond dog? That's how large I believe he would be if they regulated his dragon tendencies to let him grow at a manageable rate.

21 is very young to own your own business that is becoming very succesful

Well, I read through the posts. I think that I should give my two cents on this situation.

I don't think that Spike and Rarity can have children. Biologically, they're completely different species. In the real world, only animals that are of the same species or genus may have children. I doubt that dragons and ponies would be of the same genius.

Although some have mentioned that the children could be kirin, I personally don't think that such a thing could occur. Kirin (at least if I got my data correct) is a creature in Chinese mythos noted to have features of dragons, ox, deer, horses, fish, lions, etcetera etcetera. The show is known to have more western mythology and some ideas of its own, such as timberwolves. That means that kirin probably wouldn't exist in the lore of MLP: FiM, because kirin is more of an eastern thing. Another thing to note is that a dragon and a pony can only produce offspring with the characteristics of dragons and ponies. Spike and Rarity's children, if they had any, would lack the features of a kirin and thus not be a kirin. What I'm more saying with this point is that if Spike and Rarity could have a child, a kirin wouldn't be one of them.

21 is very young to own your own business that is becoming very succesful

Only in a big city with competition to your left and right. carousel boutique really wasn't at the beginning (it's still relatively small shop successful). Remember all the high names coming to her probably through word of mouth? before those encounters she had no notable contacts we just knew that she was good. It's pretty analogous to a small town dress maker's product being seen by a big wig when a member of her community goes out somewhere with a lot of people.

Also depending on the local success is relatively manageable. Before she had any contacts its fair to say that she supported herself by making things for the denizens of ponyville with maybe a few out of area orders. Doesn't sound to different from my sisters pastry shop. She's 23 and has had it since she was 19.

Rarity is on the verge of being a break out. But 'success' with a local business in a small town/ tight knit community is definitely possible relatively quickly.

Well, I read through the posts. I think that I should give my two cents on this situation.

I don't think that Spike and Rarity can have children. Biologically, they're completely different species. In the real world, only animals that are of the same species or genus may have children. I doubt that dragons and ponies would be of the same genius.

Although some have mentioned that the children could be kirin, I personally don't think that such a thing could occur. Kirin (at least if I got my data correct) is a creature in Chinese mythos noted to have features of dragons, ox, deer, horses, fish, lions, etcetera etcetera. The show is known to have more western mythology and some ideas of its own, such as timberwolves. That means that kirin probably wouldn't exist in the lore of MLP: FiM, because kirin is more of an eastern thing. Another thing to note is that a dragon and a pony can only produce offspring with the characteristics of dragons and ponies. Spike and Rarity's children, if they had any, would lack the features of a kirin and thus not be a kirin. What I'm more saying with this point is that if Spike and Rarity could have a child, a kirin wouldn't be one of them.

The Kirin or Qilin (as for the mythos thing, the type of sea serpent Steven Magnet is is definitely based on chinese dragons so eastern material isn't out of the question) is an eastern thing. What you said is a catch all, but every kirin doesnt have all of those traitss, depending on what era the depictions are from. Jin Dynasty is dragon and any equine. While Qing has the kirin with all the things you mention. In Korea the kirin has went from deer/ horse/ ox/ but have shifted to be almost completely dragon horses. And japan does it all. Where as some Kirin are Draco-felines. But any creature born as a hybrid of two animals would traditionally be a false qilin since qilin are their own species and are one of the 4 heavenly beasts.

The Kirin or Qilin (as for the mythos thing, the type of sea serpent Steven Magnet is is definitely based on chinese dragons so eastern material isn't out of the question) is an eastern thing. What you said is a catch all, but every kirin doesnt have all of those traitss, depending on what era the depictions are from. Jin Dynasty is dragon and any equine. While Qing has the kirin with all the things you mention. In Korea the kirin has went from deer/ horse/ ox/ but have shifted to be almost completely dragon horses. And japan does it all. Where as some Kirin are Draco-felines. But any creature born as a hybrid of two animals would traditionally be a false qilin since qilin are their own species and are one of the 4 heavenly beasts.

Ah yes, Steven Magnet. I forgot about him.

Well now that I'm more aware of eastern mythology in MLP, and a more in depth description of the kirin, the idea of Spike and Rarity making children is more viable.