The Comic Book Discussion Thread

I like comics. Haven't really been following them long. Kinda jumped into things when DC had their big reboot last year.

I've so far stuck pretty much just to DC stuff, but I'm following a good number of DC titles. :)

Oh, and of course I'm also reading pony comic. ;)

I like the third Batgirl, Cassandra Cain. I'm a fan of Spoiler from those comics, even though she's not very good at being a hero. XD I've also read a little bit of Catwoman, one of the Birds of Prey graphic novels, and one of the fourth Batgirl graphic novels (Stephanie Brown Batgirl). I also enjoyed the Birds of Prey television series, even if it was short lived.

OH HECK YES.

We like comics a LOT in my house. This is one portion of an entire 4 and a half foot wide, chest high bookshelf filled with nothing but graphic novels and comics. And that is not the only place they're at.

3725_4939272766138_2060403567_n.jpg

Well, besides MLP (which does have a bit of a different and very effective sense of humor), I subscribe to a variety of X-men comics (I follow characters, not books, really I am following Kitty Pryde and Beast, sometimes Polaris when she's not being portrayed as totally insane, and Patsy Walker), and I have read X-men since the late 80s. My core love of Marvel characters, though, comes from about 1972-about 1985. But only Marvel. I enjoy the soap-opera aspect of it, and my favorite comics are where noting happens. Hand me an issue of the Avengers circa 1978 where all they are doing is choosing the team, or one from a little later where it's nothing but Wonderman and Beast Bromance time, and I am amused.

I STILL hold it against Rob Liefeld for ruining X-Force (although felt truly vindicated when Peter Milligan and Mike Allred ran it into the ground in an epic and hilarious way). I childishly snark on Liefeld on twitter for this reason. I am way too old to be picking on a middle aged man.

I also have a deep fondness for vintage strips like li'l Abner and Pogo. Some more (relatively) recent stuff REALLY early Doonesbury before the Reagan administration and Tove Jansson's Moomin comics.

Also fashion comics from the 60s:

[colour=#1A1AA6]92667486350c11e2954322000a9f134e_7.jpg[/colour]

My true loves, though, are the independent and alternative publishers like Drawn and Quarterly, Fantagraphics Top Shelf and Archaia, writers and artists, like Dan Clowes, Kevin Huizenga, Paul Hornschemeier and Chris Ware, Marc Bell, Anders Neilsen, Seth, the Paper Rad collective, etc. etc etc. and we have a lot of straight up Brian Chippendale and David Shrigley floating around our place because of my husband. And for Webcomics, Dieselsweeties is the only one I follow closely, but I also love Kimono's Townhouse.

But by far, these two are my favorites:

Jason:

jasonlowmoonshoppingbag.jpg

Jeffrey Brown (to the point that I have prints and super special editions of things)

jeffreybrown2.gif

I just started getting into comics about a year or two ago. I love graphic novels, because I've never been much of collector and having one big volume as opposed to a bunch of issues is a bit more economical for me.

Kinda haven't brought myself to care about and Marvel stuff yet, Ultimate Universe or otherwise. I dunno. I think Marvel just doesn't have books that really interest me as DC does at the moment. Maybe I just like the characters more.

As for the pony comic, I still haven't gotten my second issue in the mail, but on the strength of the first, I'd say its pretty excellent. If you love comics and you love the show, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up. ;)

I just may pick me up the first issue. On the subject of DC, what story arcs are good? I only have 2 Batman. Collections and I was rather disappointed. I was told they were two of the best but I didn't exactly get blown away, they were decent, but not spectacular

I probably wouldn't be the best to advise you on what to look at for DC stuff. As I said in my first post, I'm really new to comics myself. Only been reading for just over a year, and only really been looking at the new stuff just coming out.

If you're interested in Batman, I would say that the main Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo Batman title has been pretty good though; you could check out the Court of Owls Story arc, which is about issues 1-9 following the reboot. Although if you didn't like the Batman arcs that were recommended to you before, you might not like it either. I dunno.

I could give recommendations on other new, post-reboot stuff I suppose, but really enjoyment would probably hinge a lot on what kind of characters you tend to like.

Hmm, based on that there isn't much that I actually currently follow that I could safely recommend. Maybe Demon Knights, if you'd be willing to try something a little different and kinda outside the superhero genre. Other than that, I did follow Suicide Squad for a good number of issues, and while it started rocky and I eventually had to drop it because I was getting too many titles each month, it was getting kinda fun for a while and might offer some of humor and action that you want.

Beyond that, much of what seems to fit the bill is stuff I haven't read beyond the first issue. Deathstroke put me off instantly from the first issue, but the character is similar to Deadpool in design (albeit played a lot more straight from what I understand) so it might work for you. Red Hood and the Outlaws lost me pretty quickly too, but from what I understand it has a fan base and it did seem to be going for a fun/action book thing that might be more your style. Oh, and Nightwing might be good; character is fun and cool and from what I've glanced at the book seems pretty good--just never been interested enough personally to follow it.

For any of them, the thing to do is probably just start with #1 issue (or #1 Volume) following the New 52 reboot. :)

I like comics but I find that I don't have the attention span to follow a story until the end and then when i start up again I wonder "what's all this then."

It's very confusing right now, Marvel has the Ultimate Universe and some sort of reboot with Now! and the regular stuff and over 9000 one shots that make no bloody sense.

I did like DC's classic stuff but I don't know what to make of the new Universe they constructed from the ashes of the old.

The only thing I'm reading now is the MLP comic because Ponies. <3

It's a little more serous than Ultimate Universe, since it took the place of the old universe, becoming the main DC continuity.

Of course, this was controversial and definitely angered a lot of long time fans. It also brought a lot of new fans like myself into the fold though, and generally has proven to be a positive move for DC in terms of sales numbers.

I'm pretty far from an expert on continuity and changes to it, but from what I understand, Superman's continuity was completely rebooted and started over and a lot of changes seem to have been made. I hear Action Comics has been pretty good following the reboot, but I've never had much interest in Superman, so I haven't been reading and only know so much about what they've done with him.

Batman wasn't changed much on the other hand. Most of the important stuff in his continuity is still apparently there, it's just a little different now since its been compressed so that all of it happened in like a seven year timeline. Some stuff was probably outright changed though.

For other characters, the changes kind of depend. All the Green Lantern stuff received very little change from prior to the reboot, mostly continuing on as before. Most of the other Bat related characters--Batgirl, Nightwing, Robin, etc--have at least some marks of their old continuity in place, I think, though some has changed. Wonder Woman was rebooted pretty heavily on the other hand and got a really cool book out of it. Same goes for Aquaman. By in large most of the characters were rebooted pretty significantly though.