Friendship Is Magic Issue #4 Thread

The final duel between Twilight Sparkle and Queen Chrysalis! Who will win, and who will fail? Comic issue is available now via the usual sources.

2j0xism.jpg

Great ending for this storyline. What do you think Pinkie Pie was staring at when she opened her door? Some sort of ancient one? A Cthulhu type deity? I just love the "Le Close" she did with the door..And ofcourse her facial expression...Even Luna shows up...In the end..Poor thing..

And Pinkie's terrifying costume is now apparently alive...That's pure nightmare fuel. :-o

It was the weakest of the first arc, but still a fun read and an 8/10. The arc would have benefited from an additional issue for a variety of reasons. But in the end, while it could have been legendary, it was still very good.

Ugh. So many cool covers...but the comic shop covers are crappy...AGAIN.

It was the weakest of the first arc, but still a fun read...

Indeed.

I don't really get what happened. its doesn't really matter what happened (ok is does...I am curious), just the fact that I ended confused loses the issue points. Pointing out that Luna doesn't get it either doesn't help. Honestly, how do I explain what happened when I read this to 5-7 year olds? Would Twilight really make the ending decision that she did? Now what would be cool, is if Twilight was playing her by getting the love of her friends all riled up on purpose to spike her magic higher.

What do you think Pinkie Pie was staring at when she opened her door? Some sort of ancient one? A Cthulhu type deity?
Is it really something more specific than a big monster eye? I would have guessed a dragon and moved on.

The best part was the Temple of Doom reference, but honorable mentions go to:

• Escher Stairs
  • Rarity being turned off by a basement musician (and phantom of the Opera at that)...rather than his ugliness
  • Alice and wonderland riddle reference...and turning it on it's head by giving it an answer!
  • Scootaloo with the correct priorities?!
  • Spike's interlude...ending with his patch off...implying that his eye is now healed, but he put it back on to appear roguish for Rarity. Note that I still don't approve of his crush, but that is cute!

I think a lot of the confusion would have been alleviated with one more issue in the arc. It would have allowed them to flesh it out more. My niece had an easy enough time following what was going on, but even she thought it was a bit rushed. (I think the engagement with the spiders took longer!)

I think a lot of the confusion would have been alleviated with one more issue in the arc. It would have allowed them to flesh it out more. My niece had an easy enough time following what was going on, but even she thought it was a bit rushed. (I think the engagement with the spiders took longer!)

Are you saying you understand the final battle?

Please explain what happened.

Are you saying you understand the final battle?

Please explain what happened.

Comet increased both sides' power, but Twilight overpowered the queen because friendship and love is superior to the ways of Queen Chrysalis. It could have been much better fleshed out. Personally, I think #4 could have ended with Twi accepting the offer, a great cliffhanger for the true finale of #5. But alas, what is, is.

Comet increased both sides' power, but Twilight overpowered the queen because friendship and love is superior to the ways of Queen Chrysalis. It could have been much better fleshed out. Personally, I think #4 could have ended with Twi accepting the offer, a great cliffhanger for the true finale of #5. But alas, what is, is.

So the comment streaking overhead was the key? Ah, that helps.

As for me, I'll give this issue a 4 out of 5. I wasn't all too confused about the ending myself, but I could see how others could be baffled by it. I loved how Twilight saved the day in the end, because she's awesome like that. :blush:

I loved how Twilight saved the day in the end, because she's awesome like that.

That was a weak aspect though. Why did the other five come if it was just going to be Twilight at the end? The others mostly just issue jokes, and became Chrysalis' bargaining chips. It is ok for her to have the primary part, but 99% was too much.

That was a weak aspect though. Why did the other five come if it was just going to be Twilight at the end? The others mostly just issue jokes, and became Chrysalis' bargaining chips. It is ok for her to have the primary part, but 99% was too much.

He'd be fine if the other five were wax sculptures. Allll about TwiTwi with our wittle Belly.

• Like 1

He'd be fine if the other five were wax sculptures. Allll about TwiTwi with our wittle Belly.

On Canterlot, I am in fact the biggest fan there is of Twilight Sparkle. <3

Just read it. Loved the issue personally.

Favorite part was the two page side story at the end. Spike and Celestia being perhaps more epic than the main story. That made me smile so much. Celestia is and always will be best princess. ;)

As for the main story, for me it wrapped things up nicely enough. It built the suspense up well enough, and the confrontation between Twi and Chrys seemed suitably intense. It leaned pretty heavy on familiar tropes, I suppose, but Price's vivid, expressive artwork made everything believable enough. Was maybe a little disappointed to see the non-Twi Mane six get pushed aside some in the final confrontation, but eh, I guess I've learned to live with that. Still, the comedy was good and pretty much everything Sweetie says is golden. Wish Rarity had a somewhat bigger part.

Still, quite solid effort and I think a good way to wrap up what was a very successful first arc. I'll be eager to see if the second arc and second creative team can live up to the high marks Cook and Price set with these first four issues.

...It leaned pretty heavy on familiar tropes, I suppose, but Price's vivid, expressive artwork made everything believable enough.
I'd say the writing was stronger than the art work. Sure there are wonderful visual displays, but the expressions on the ponies were often lacking aesthetically, especially the negative expressions that showed fear, frustration, anger, etc.

[colour=#282828]Favorite part was the two page side story at the end. Spike and Celestia being perhaps more epic than the main story. That made me smile so much.[/colour]
The part that made it seem more epic was that they were obviously struggling, and getting injured in their fight, but still they communicated calmly and clearly.
I'll be eager to see if the second arc and second creative team can live up to the high marks Cook and Price set with these first four issues.
Indeed. Yet I may be looking forward to the time AFTER the 8th more. The MLP series' strength is NOT in the villains that they face, but in the more day-to-day stuff.

I'd say the writing was stronger than the art work. Sure there are wonderful visual displays, but the expressions on the ponies were often lacking aesthetically, especially the negative expressions that showed fear, frustration, anger, etc.

Art is a subjective thing. For me, the art on this book is excellent, and the expressions in particular are quite good. That's not to discount Cook's writing of course though. I'd say it's excellent too.

The part that made it seem more epic was that they were obviously struggling, and getting injured in their fight, but still they communicated calmly and clearly.

Yes, exactly. So awesome! :kissy:

Indeed. Is the series slated to continue after the 8th issue though?

I cannot conceive why it would not. It's IDW's top selling monthly series at the moment, selling as well as some DC/Marvel titles. Can't see why they'd even consider canceling such a lucrative title so soon. I'd actually expect more spin offs and stuff getting the go ahead as opposed to anything getting cancelled.

I cannot conceive why it would not. It's IDW's top selling monthly series at the moment, selling as well as some DC/Marvel titles. Can't see why they'd even consider canceling such a lucrative title so soon. I'd actually expect more spin offs and stuff getting the go ahead as opposed to anything getting cancelled.

Yeah, if you're following the charts, both books are outselling some major DC and Marvel titles...Even IDW is nipping away at Image's #3 spot..

http://www.derpyhoovesnews.com/my-little-pony-comic-sales-figures-for-february/

Yep. IDW is *extremely* pleased with with how Pony is doing. Even the micro series nearly doubled the highest offering of theirs that wasn't pony.

Here is the list of comics that appeared in between FiM #3 and Micro #1:

45 My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic 3 $3.99 IDW 43,579

46 Young Avengers 2 $2.99 Marvel 43,559

47 Thunderbolts 4 $2.99 Marvel 43,287

48 Before Watchmen Dr Manhattan 4 $3.99 DC 43,273

49 Flash 17 $2.99 DC 42,936

50 Green Lantern New Guardians 17 $2.99 DC 42,285

51 Thunderbolts 5 $2.99 Marvel 41,663

52 Hit-Girl 5 $4.99 Marvel 39,569

53 Teen Titans 17 $2.99 DC 39,186

54 Wonder Woman 17 $2.99 DC 39,110

55 Daredevil 23 $2.99 Marvel 37,170

56 Hawkeye 8 $2.99 Marvel 36,898

57 Green Arrow 17 $2.99 DC 36,043

58 Deadpool Killustrated 2 $2.99 Marvel 35,846

59 Red Lanterns 17 $2.99 DC 35,839

60 FF 4 $2.99 Marvel 35,815

61 Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 20 $3.99 Marvel 35,461

62 My Little Pony Twilight Sparkle 1 $3.99 IDW 34,435

So you have major titles such as Hawkeye, Daredevil, Thunderbolts, Teen Titans, Wonder Woman. The Flash, and Green Arrow being beaten by #3 and wiithin striking distance of Micro #1.

I was satisfied with how the entirety of this arc built itself up. Chrysalis even ran a satisfactory plan in-between, but this issue felt anticlimactic to me. I was expecting some sort of epic duel with Chrysalis and Twilight. Nope. Twi waxes that ass like it's nothing. I was expecting an awesome two-page panel with the elements vs the changeling elites. Nope. Reduced to sounds of getting beat in the background. But eh, Spike and Celestia did their thing elsewhere, so as offscreen as they were, SOMETHING awesome happened here.

I mean seriously. If Twilight's destructive magics were that strong, she would have kicked Chrysalis out of Equestria long before she was even able to be imprisoned. Lemme just siphon more strength from my friends. I don't see why she didn't just do that when it came time to retrieve the elements of harmony either.

Another day at the office for our favorite OP nerdwarmage.

Another day at the office for our favorite OP nerdwarmage.

I wonder if her extreme power is part of why I don't enjoy the epic battle episodes as much as others do. Heroes are more interesting if they are less powerful than the villains.

• Like 1

Yeah, agreed, though I assumed it was going to go that route from the start. When they spend the arc building up the comet and how it impacts magic, you just knew the whole endgame was going to be UberTwi kicking some flank. To me, the only problem was how fast it all happened. Ponies find the castle, you have two pages or so of them looking for the Queen, find her, the fight happens in the background, Twi makes her initial decision, ohmahgawdChyrsalis evil, Twi goes super saiyan. Twi wins game over. Spend the issue in the castle and on the fight and end it with Twi 'joining' Chrysalis, then you have time to build up everything that came before and will come after.

Even if you don't follow any Pony Podcasts like Bronyville, I would say check out #96. They have an interview with Ted Anderson and Heather Breckel..

Heather does the colouring for the ongoing series..And is a really good artist to boot:

http://angieness.deviantart.com/

Ted wrote the Pinkie Pie issue of the mini series.

http://www.tedanderson.net/

Two things I liked (out of many) from the interview..But I shall put it in spoilers to be safe.

Originally Pennywise the Pony had yellow teeth and eyes. Hasbro had Heather change it to make it look less scarier.

The Pinkie Pie issue is actually based off an joke from the Watchmen Comics..Really!

http://www.bronyshow.com/

• 4 weeks later...