FiM Microseries: Rainbow Dash Thread

weesh

I'd only give this issue a 2 out of 5. The villains here were even weaker than Sombra, and why couldn't the rest of the Ponyville weather team help out and solve the problem?

Oh well, sometimes even the most beloved of franchises can strike out sometimes.

Oh well, sometimes even the most beloved of franchises can strike out sometimes.

Not going to disagree...

But there were a few amusing things:

• The picture on the first page with Rainbow playing a flying V was pretty great
  • Tank had good moment's including the "sign" that he was alright : )
  • "the goggles, they do nothing" is a painfully overdone meme, but I still smiled

This felt like a poorly written fic than a professional comic.

Unweighted score 5.5/10

Weighted score 3/10

I wanted to stop reading several times. There were a few good moments but not enough for me to go easier on this issue.

Tank had good moment's including the "sign" that he was alright : )

Well, seeing plenty of Tank goodness was at least one of the better highlights of the issue. :P

I enjoyed it. Along with the Twilight micro it is the lowest tier of pony comic, but I still enjoyed it. The story wasn't very good despite having a few moments that I really liked, but I loved the art. 7/10.

Ouch

Not going to disagree with that either.

What is a weighted or unweighted score?

Unweighted is basically 50% story 50% art. Scored equally. (which really shows you how much I enjoyed the art)

Weighted is 70% story 30% art. (approximately) (which shows you how much I disliked the story)

I hold story in rather high regards. While I buy graphic mediums for the art, it is ultimately not the main reason. The story is the main reason, which usually for comics cannot be found in any other medium (unlike manga and anime which I almost always pick up the VN or LN if available). I wouldn't be able to find this animated or in a regular novel, at least not by Hasbro. I could easily buy art books or browse the internet for pretty art if art was my main goal. The art, for me, merely acts as an enhancer to the story being told. Captivating story can save a comic for me, even if the art is lackluster (providing it doesn't detract from the story, I'm looking at you Rob Leifeld). However a lack luster or boring story can ruin a comic for me, no matter how pretty the art is. I had to stop reading this comic 3 times because I just couldn't stand the story. The few parts that made me smile ultimately kept me going, but it was a chore for the most part to continue reading it.

Hope that makes sense for how I scored it.

I do have some hope for the next issue because Katie Cook is at the helm (from what I have heard), and I enjoyed her main story comics quite a bit.

This felt like a poorly written fic than a professional comic.

I completely agree - I think I was just under halfway through when I stopped reading. I had a few issues with this, but the biggest one was the jarring storytelling. I don't feel as though the writing captured the personalities of any of the established characters very well and sometimes the pacing/transition between panels felt really off the mark. I would give this a huge, resounding "meh" out of 5 (since I didn't actually finish reading it and can't give it a proper score).

Am I the only one who thought it was a really good comic?

So far. Tell us what you liked about it.

I hold story in rather high regards.

My scale is a bit different from yours, but story is critical.

Story: [0% - 90%]

Art: [-90% - 10%]

Most of the time, the art would neither add nor subtract from the rating provided by the story. But the art can be so bad that I will stop reading a good story, or it can be so good as to push it over the top.

I would give this a huge, resounding "meh" out of 5 (since I didn't actually finish reading it and can't give it a proper score).

Ouch.

You stopped ten pages from the end? And this was a short one too. A fast read since there are so many pictures and so few text bubbles. That is a daming indictment.

Don't think I agree with the art vs. text argument here, since in my opinion the story isn't the property of the text. A quality comic doesn't have the art enhance the text or vice versa, but instead utilizes the marriage of the two elements to create a good story. Image and text can stand alone to tell a story (see: books and artworks such as Hogarth's A Rake's Progress), but comics and graphic novels happen when the two meet. Watchmen is my favourite example for this because the villainous mastermind behind all of the major events in that story (won't name him because of spoilers) was revealed to us from the beginning and repeated through the story using colour alone. Indexes, icons, symbols, and colour theory are used in conjunction with the text and the result is...fantastic. A classic!

Ultimately, the story is the most important factor but it's never carried solely by the text or the art. At least, not in something that I would deem a quality read.

Annnnnnd here ends that little rant.

Edit: Oopsy poopsy, I misinterpreted what Swirly was saying and thought he was treating art as an accessory to the storytelling, but that was just me jumping the gun. My opinion still holds, though, and it's part of the reason why I couldn't enjoy this comic! Sorry, friend D:

Ouch.

You stopped ten pages from the end? And this was a short one too. A fast read since there are so many pictures and so few text bubbles. That is a daming indictment.

Yup! I wasn't enjoying it. Even if it was a fast read, I didn't like what was happening and knew it didn't redeem itself at the end so I just didn't feel motivated enough to continue. That doesn't mean it's really horrendous or anything, just that it really bored me.

Yeah, just in case I wasn't clear... There are two sides to art. The content and the aesthetic. The content of the art is part of the greater story part of my scoring. The aesthetics is part of the actual art part. Included in that is how the art is used to enhance the story to a degree (because the use of artistic colours can both enhance the story as well as make the art more appealing). It is rather hard to balance the two at times, because the choice of colours can also be part of the story telling. So I kinda have to modify my scale a bit at times.

Pictures can tell a story, which is WHY story is weighted the way it is, I just took off the aesthetic part and separated it off. Apologies if that was unclear.

Okay, reading the thread again I see there are a couple of people who liked it too.

So far. Tell us what you liked about it.

I just felt it was entertaining. I liked the jokes and visual gags (the lego fortress stands out) and thought the story had a good moral about not letting failure get to you, and how sometimes you have to think differently about the solution.

Okay, reading the thread again I see there are a couple of people who liked it too.

I legitimately forgot about those.

the story had a good moral about not letting failure get to you

Well, it is nice that you enjoyed it.

I saw Rainbow getting belligerent, desperate, and coming undone at the seams. Failure absolutely got to her. And when things looked bleak, she was STILL trying to do it alone. Then after succeeding she moped around her house until Applejack snapped her out of it. It was more depressing than uplifting.

I legitimately forgot about those.

I saw Rainbow getting belligerent, desperate, and coming undone at the seams. Failure absolutely got to her. And when things looked bleak, she was STILL trying to do it alone. Then after succeeding she moped around her house until Applejack snapped her out of it. It was more depressing than uplifting.

Yes well what else did you expect out of best pony Applejack? She made this comic, obviously.

Yes well what else did you expect out of best pony Applejack? She made this comic, obviously.

For your sake, I hope AJ gets a great issue. As someone who wanted Rainbow to get fair treatment, this was exceedingly disappointing. Can you not sympathize with the RD fans, even while you enjoy the strong AJ showing in this one?

Maybe it's because it resonated with me during an infuriatingly stressful point during my life last week. Timing is everything, and I was empathizing with Dash to great effect. To see her go that far on her own kind of goes in the opposite of FiM's message, but sometimes, a pony's gotta handle things on their own, ya dig? Friends aren't gonna always be around to help you. We come into this world without 'em and we're gonna leave without 'em. (Doubly so in Alitwi's case. Except not so much since her brother was her best friend?)

Plus, Double Rainboom.

Come. ON GAIS. :D

Hmm. Yeah, a third re-read reveals that I am perhaps looking too hard for a moral. I still think the point about trying different solutions is valid.

"I've been looking at it all wrong. This isn't about me- which really is kinda weird"

"If I can make everypony happy, even for just a moment, I'll be able to break the spell and finally get the win we all know I deserve."

Both of these on the same page. Oh, Dash. XD

Anyway, I think I'll say that I still really enjoyed the comic, despite what flaws it had.

• 2 weeks later...