Equestrian Girls

lunatastic

Actually

1. A claw is not a replacement for a hand. A claw is what a creature has instead of a fingernail. Spike's claws are on the ends of his fingers, which are attached to his hands.

2. Iron Will has hands, so most ponies should know about them.

I never noticed that I guess you are right. i don't know then.

I wasn't very impressed by the movie. I'd give it a 5/10, pretty average.

I suppose it stayed pretty true to the core of the FiM series, but I not only just have a general disliking of humanized ponies, I also abhor almost any high school setting. I would be more open to the movie if it wasn't based in high school, but sadly that's not the case. I still appreciated that no one was OOC, and I'll admit the pop-ups of popular BG characters was fun to watch (especially Granny Smith, that was probably the only part of the movie that made me laugh aloud).

So, I can appreciate the effort and consideration the team put into it, but I prefer normal ponies in a fantasy setting over contemporary human high schoolers any day of the week.

I just finished watching the film. I have to say despite my skepticism it won me over. I loved the ton of FiM references. The character design grew on me & there were some characters I thought looked great in that style(The CMC, Silver Spoon, & Fluttershy to name a few). I'm excited for the DVD release so I can watch it I ID background characters.

[colour=#A4A4A4]Posted Today, 10:32 AM[/colour]

[colour=#282828]While I've no ill will toward anyone on this site or fandom, I have to question the logic of one who managed to find this trainwreck enjoyable without any kind of lowering of expectations. This plot is easily handed to the audience in the first ten minutes, solved in the duration of a segment of series episode, and screws around in between with a bunch of attempts at laughybits and awkward teen-Twiness.

No. There's no real reason I can feel as though this fit the criteria for anything other than trying to juice the Monster High market. The reasoning for Twilight not being able to go in without her real backup, her real friends is bull. Flash Sentry is bull also. Another entry in the small but consistent pattern of introducing new characters with little to no characterization to get us to remotely care, yet the plot asks us to take them into account as they will surely be important in the future.

I'd rather watch Mysterious Mare Do Well and every Spike and Applejack episode plus Over a Barrel instead of this tripe again. I gave it a chance in hopes of being honestly surprised. I was hoping they'd do the impossible, but Studio B is nothing without Faust nowadays. MMC was already the first sign of that. Thank you for letting me know where season four will be going. Because I really can't do this teenage-humans dog excrement again.[/colour]

• Like 1

Speaking of Monster High, well, Hasbro wants a piece of the pie as well, can we blame them? And moreover, Equestria Daily told us to put ourselves into the Hasbro's execs' shoes, the more revenue you have, the better while also risking with more gambles with fans.

Re Allura:

Ah yes, I forgot about Flash Sentry and Twilight's crush. Let me get into that:

No.

Everything about Flash, and Twilight's infatuation with that bland, uninteresting, tweeny girl eye-candy caricature is just a lumpy, steaming pile of 'no.' That was what turned me off the most about this film.

In fact, now that I'm reminded of this utter rubbish I'm lowering my score to a 3.5/10. This movie just had very few redeeming qualities. And even with over an hour of running time without commercial interruptions allot of it still was rushed with shoehorned events. Now, I can understand how FiM two-parters can feel rushed, they've only got about forty-five minutes total to match up with TV scheduling and advertisements, which can make the awkwardness of them forgivable. But this film could have had more than enough time to not seem like some poorly paced fan fiction. Hopefully the series will not be affected by pestilence of this film. In fact, I'm not picky about the series at all. It has a few bad episodes, but most of them range from 'okay' to 'great.'

And also, yes, some quality dips have happened since Faust left, but most of the time they still know what they're doing. People tend to deify her, which is annoying. She's talented and knows how to make shows work, but not everyone becomes suddenly incompetent because she's not around to wave her magic wand.

I did love Pinkie's Transformer noise. Pretty sure we will be seeing some fanart with Pinkie and Optumus Prime now :P

I will say the whole crush thing had be a bit off, but Equestria Girls isn't at all connected with the main series of MLP:Fim...at least I hope its not mentioned at all in season 4. I consider the whole Equestria Girl thing a decent piece of fanfic material, and an interesting alternate universe piece that can be worked with some.

The what are hands thing was funny :P they should ask Lyra XD. Loved the CMC in the human world, they were just cute.

All in all I give it a B- grade, A- maybe. Somewhere between those two maybe. I certainly doubt they could make a series from that as good as MLP: Fim is. Fim will always be the greater series.

My heart was stolen by Trixie there :) I love Trixie. Other then that I say, give it a look and make your own judgements. With all this talk of fimfictions I got to get back on mine. WAY too much procrastination XD

The episode serves as a nice transition to Twilight becoming a princess with human Twilight filling in as the awkwardness she must feel with becoming a princess. The writing is no worst then an average episode but longer with a bigger build up to the end which is just crazy. I think anybody who nit picks the movie needs to also take some time to nit pick the episodes and realize there are alot of shared criticisms

I realize I've made a mistake on being too hard on the film, in light of this ongoing discussion.

You see, some bronies nowadays tend to have this delusion that the show is made specifically for us; and it should serve as a reminder--in the form of Equestria Girls--that it is, in fact, not targeted at us. My Little Pony, the general franchise, not just 'Friendship is Magic,' is targeted at girls between the ages of four and twelve mainly, and the franchise is owned by a multi-billion dollar corporate juggernaut whose absolute sole goal in the totality of its existence is to make a profit; same as any other shadowy entity lurking in a capitalist regime.

I'm taking the earlier advice of arrowghost here in realizing this by standing in the shoes of CEOs and marketing teams.

Equestria Girls was a meditated request from the executives of Hasbro, who really don't give two trots about bronies (they only care about what's in our wallets; I have to say they've not gotten even close to mine). They wanted a fast-food delivered, hyped up film about ponies that aren't ponies. Making the ponies into humans, to attract even more little girls, meanwhile grabbing the attention of bronies who would surely get a rise out of such a notion. This is actually a pretty good marketing scheme. They didn't care whether we liked the film or not, or if little girls liked it for that matter. As long as there was hype over both demographics, they'd get their money. Money from us (not me, I watched a rip on Youtube), from the parents of young girls. They knew we'd see it no matter what, just because most bronies are attached to MLP like leeches to a blood vessel. And girls are just being girls.

They threw in these new tweeny-girl gimmicks while simultaneously throwing in easter eggs for bronies, which of course would be poorly executed and not work in the end. But they didn't care (besides it being a cash cow). We saw it, we'll still watch season 4 (they should be smart enough to leave THAT alone if they don't want to alienate the brony fandom; we're just extra wads of cash compared to the dough they get from the parents of female children). Some bronies liked it, others didn't. And I'm all talked out on the issue at this point. Equestria Girls will just have to go into one of my mental file cabinets marked 'bad' and not be opened again.

Edited by Rosewind
Please avoid using questionable language. If it's getting filtered, you're making a poor word choice.
  • Like 1

Accepting all of that is too hard for me, man. Not when the first two episodes set the standard for the series. It's The Last Airbender of ponies. No respect for the source material.

At the very least, when human canon is mentioned in FiM, my thoughts will fly to my much-cooler headcanon world of Horizon, where Twilight Sparkle is a ninja who was raised by Princess Celestia and lives in Luna's side of the Fated Lands.

I realize I've made a mistake on being too hard on the film, in light of this ongoing discussion.

You see, some bronies nowadays tend to have this delusion that the show is made specifically for us; and it should serve as a reminder--in the form of Equestria Girls--that it is, in fact, not targeted at us. My Little Pony, the general franchise, not just 'Friendship is Magic,' is targeted at girls between the ages of four and twelve mainly, and the franchise is owned by a multi-billion dollar corporate juggernaut whose absolute sole goal in the totality of its existence is to make a profit; same as any other shadowy entity lurking in a capitalist regime.

I'm taking the earlier advice of arrowghost here in realizing this by standing in the shoes of CEOs and marketing teams.

Equestria Girls was a meditated request from the executives of Hasbro, who really don't give two trots about bronies (they only care about what's in our wallets; I have to say they've not gotten even close to mine). They wanted a fast-food delivered, hyped up film about ponies that aren't ponies. Making the ponies into humans, to attract even more little girls, meanwhile grabbing the attention of bronies who would surely get a rise out of such a notion. This is actually a pretty good marketing scheme. They didn't care whether we liked the film or not, or if little girls liked it for that matter. As long as there was hype over both demographics, they'd get their money. Money from us (not me, I watched a rip on Youtube), from the parents of young girls. They knew we'd see it no matter what, just because most bronies are attached to MLP like leeches to a blood vessel. And girls are just being girls.

They threw in these new tweeny-girl gimmicks while simultaneously throwing in easter eggs for bronies, which of course would be poorly executed and not work in the end. But they didn't care (besides it being a cash cow). We saw it, we'll still watch season 4 (they should be smart enough to leave THAT alone if they don't want to alienate the brony fandom; we're just extra wads of cash compared to the dough they get from the parents of female children). Some bronies liked it, others didn't. And I'm all talked out on the issue at this point. Equestria Girls will just have to go into one of my mental file cabinets marked 'bad' and not be opened again.

Respect for the analysis though.

I just watched EQG today. I like some was skeptical about it deviating from the normal idea of ponies as I've seen shows veer off a cliff when doing something new.

But I was surprised that it was a very well planned movie. The storyline didn't appear to have any plot errors, the characters were great transitioning from pony to human, the songs (I think I counted four) were great, and the animation was just as good as the normal show.

For those that don't like it, really this show I believe won't have much impact on Season 4. But for those who do, it's a great stand alone movie and an interesting addition to the canon.

I watched it with a friend

I absolutely loved it, then watched it three more times.

The characters are cute, the songs are catchy, the storyline was the same quality we expect from the show, and overall it was wonderfully managed.

I honestly do not see why so many people were against it.

I think it's all come down to Hasbro making more money greedily while didn't put themselves into their shoes. Not only that, they hate it because of worry they'll use the cutie marks on their cheeks (which was already shifted to their clothing) and also the movie is going to suck (but nope, the crew did it well).

I'm gonna pop right in this thread if you don't mind..

I kinda liked the whole movie. The whole fact that who you hang out with shouldn't define a person was a nice point the movie made. I mean I get that people hate high school settings but because it was a high school setting, you could see the different cliques putting aside their differences and working together. Now if only my high school was like that...

Besides, Twilight was just plain adorable :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about the movie recently and I realized its not actually as shallow as it seems.

Aside from the obvious use of Twilight's human body to represent her coming to terms with being an alicorn the movie is also used to show how she has changed in the three seasons. Its a remake of the first two episodes but rather then Twilight needing to be taught the importance of friendship she is able to take everything she has learned to bring others together. In that context I think it makes the movie far more interesting.